• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Sblargh

Banned
WTF, this final mission is nightmarish. So many enemies appear as well as 3 enemies that REGENERATE 5 HEALTH every turn,can mind control multiple troops and teleport around the map as soon as they get hurt. How do you deal with this? I think I need to grind and prepare more...

And so the Aliens still rule over Earth. I dread to think about what's happened to the remaining humans.

You hit them once and hope they teleport next to somebody else so they can get hit again. :p

r1chard

Just had my first LOL at the game moment. Doing a retaliation mission, and a civvie runs out in front of a overwatching Heavy MEC. Heavy MEC shoots civvie for 9, civvie doesn't go down. Civvie mutates into a 1HP-remaining Faceless :-D

SRG01

WTF, this final mission is nightmarish. So many enemies appear as well as 3 enemies that REGENERATE 5 HEALTH every turn,can mind control multiple troops and teleport around the map as soon as they get hurt. How do you deal with this? I think I need to grind and prepare more...

And so the Aliens still rule over Earth. I dread to think about what's happened to the remaining humans.

The last mission was the easiest for me compared to some other missions, but mostly because I used a combination of run-and-gun and rapid fire to take out the avatars.

Save your disruption items until that part, as most pods up to that point are easily manageable. Mimics are of limited use since they go down fast. Use flashbangs and void rift.

I really don't get any complaints against the time limit missions, I never had an issue with them, the game gives you plenty of time and plenty of tools to beat it out of those zones.

Sblargh

Banned
Oh man, I was so well under way to a legend run without deaths. Had skulljacked the codex already, had all tier 2 weapons and armor, squad size 2. All without a casualty.

I was feeling pretty invincible. Then xcom happened.
On the blacksite. Sectoid disoriented my ranger (who had bladestorm), with bladestorm off viper tongue grabed her, activated another pod. All said and done, a single shieldbearer left alive, he shoots, hits the ranger, poison because of dark event. Ranger has 4 health left. Poison lasts the 4 turns.

Such a sequence of events that dismantled the poor ranger. Disabling the bladestorm. Shieldbearer alone decided to shoot instead of run away like those support units usually do(and no one left for him to Shield), poison round dark event, poison lasting four entire turns, which I also think is very unusual, on a mission without the evac button. Poor mace, got all the bad luck of the campaign in one swoop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh man, I was so well under way to a legend run without deaths. Had skulljacked the codex already, had all tier 2 weapons and armor, squad size 2. All without a casualty.

I was feeling pretty invincible. Then xcom happened.
On the blacksite. Sectoid disoriented my ranger (who had bladestorm), with bladestorm off viper tongue grabed her, activated another pod. All said and done, a single shieldbearer left alive, he shoots, hits the ranger, poison because of dark event. Ranger has 4 health left. Poison lasts the 4 turns.

Such a sequence of events that dismantled the poor ranger. Disabling the bladestorm. Shieldbearer alone decided to shoot instead of run away like those support units usually do(and no one left for him to Shield), poison round dark event, poison lasting four entire turns, which I also think is very unusual, on a mission without the evac button. Poor mace, got all the bad luck of the campaign in one swoop.
I've had poison tick a full 6 turns on my Commander Blacksite mission killing my Sharpshooter.

And don't worry, XCOM finds a way even if you are deep into your run where 3 pods patrol and activate in the same turn. (Guy is moved up to grenade evac and hope RNG would be kind, it wasn't.)
xwmBKo8.jpg

Huh. I just realised that my mind can't process the threat level of an enemy without seeing their health and armour in bars, where I can easily compare them. Certainly, I'll have no idea what their max health is, but I'll know how easily I can damage them and that's what matters.

That's XCOM 2, baby.

Sblargh

Banned
I've had poison tick a full 6 turns on my Commander Blacksite mission killing my Sharpshooter.

And don't worry, XCOM finds a way even if you are deep into your run where 3 pods patrol and activate in the same turn. (Guy is moved up to grenade evac and hope RNG would be kind, it wasn't.)

I can't even explain this feeling of just knowing you are screwed. Even on other games with permadeath, it doesn't hurt so much.
When "oh boy, this will be a doozy" turns into "there is no way this won't end horrible".

About to start another run, this time I want to try some mods, any recommendations ?

I'm gonna get the commander class mod for sure by the Long War guys, but any other good quality mods that would add some variety out there ?

It's to build a certain sense of urgency within the game. The whole point of the Avenger/Strategic layer is that you don't have to scan for every reward or resource.

Have you played through the tutorial? It's a pretty good guide on how to go through the strategic layer. If not, just keep in mind that your main priority is to achieve the main objectives -- which is, at the beginning, to build out your resistance network and Skulljack the Advent Officer. Everything else is supplemental; upgrading weapons and armor should be a natural progression.

I cannot emphasize how important it is to achieve the first two objectives, particularly the Advent Officer branch. It unlocks Proving Grounds and gives you Acid (Experimental) Grenades -- which is absolutely critical if you want to have a fighting chance.

You're just unlucky, I think. If you're encountering Andromedons, try mind-controlling one -- most missions have a max of two -- and have it tank hits for you while you wipe out pods as quickly as possible.

Doesn't matter.

I can only contact 3 unknown 3 regions. I can only do that because I don't have enough communication coms. I cant do more of those because I don't have enough space on the avenger, and I cant get more space because I didnt run around across the globe scanning for supplies. so its a never ending cycle of not being able to have enough, and then you never have enough time to upgrade anything else. once you get shadow council it pauses the tech and time you would dedicate to unlock new armors and weapons, and then you start doing difficult missions with new grunts, who don't have a chance. there is so little room for error or playing it the way you want to play.

I did play the tutorial and it was fine, but the tutorial doesnt tell you how to do the globe thing. on my second playthrough I did everything to unlock skulljack before anything else- but then I sold all my intel on the black market for more supplies and scientists, and then I couldnt contact new regions, so I had to wander around like an aimless duck scanning hoping something that would pop up, that would give more intel. nothing did, and the countdown went from 5/10 to 10/10.

I thought the final mission was bullshit, but I've come to expect that from pretty much all games now. It seems like all developers seem to forget the strengths of their own game when they try and make the final mission/boss/quest.

Anno

Doesn't matter.

I can only contact 3 unknown 3 regions. I can only do that because I don't have enough communication coms. I cant do more of those because I don't have enough space on the avenger, and I cant get more space because I didnt run around across the globe scanning for supplies.

Do you mean you didn't have enough engineers? Supplies shouldn't be an issue when excavating space.

About to start another run, this time I want to try some mods, any recommendations ?

I'm gonna get the commander class mod for sure by the Long War guys, but any other good quality mods that would add some variety out there ?
Numerical Health Display is a must. There are some nice weapon mods, including Halo guns, out there. World Expansion Pack and the ADVENT map pack add a lot of variety. Experimental Item Unlock is fantastic, since it lets you get ammo and grenades you've already got through the Proving Ground.

Nete

Not exactly "more variety", but my Must Use mods are:

Free camera rotation

Numeric Health Display

Perfect Information, so you can get even more depressed.

Always Show Shot Breakdowns. The tabs closing because why not should have been fixed in the last patch, but I didn't have a chance to test it.

Stop wasting my time, even with ZIP mode there.

True retroactive AWC, because fuck losing the extra skill on that lucky guy that survived from the start.

Smarter Sectoids, because fuck me. I don't feel comfortable with how stupid vanilla Sectoids are.

Beatdown skill. A life saver. And beating down aliens never gets old.

Full customization from start

Lifetime Stats. So you can create appropriate epitaphs for your truly useless soldiers.

World Expansion Project: ADVENT and More maps packs. Even more terrain variety.

If you use the Action Cam mode, Clean Cinematics.

And around 5150347 aesthetic mods with uniforms, armors, helmets, fancy horse hats, camouflage patterns and so. Just take some time to do a pass around and suscribe to anything you may like, is really worth.

SRG01

Doesn't matter.

I can only contact 3 unknown 3 regions. I can only do that because I don't have enough communication coms. I cant do more of those because I don't have enough space on the avenger, and I cant get more space because I didnt run around across the globe scanning for supplies. so its a never ending cycle of not being able to have enough, and then you never have enough time to upgrade anything else. once you get shadow council it pauses the tech and time you would dedicate to unlock new armors and weapons, and then you start doing difficult missions with new grunts, who don't have a chance. there is so little room for error or playing it the way you want to play.

I did play the tutorial and it was fine, but the tutorial doesnt tell you how to do the globe thing. on my second playthrough I did everything to unlock skulljack before anything else- but then I sold all my intel on the black market for more supplies and scientists, and then I couldnt contact new regions, so I had to wander around like an aimless duck scanning hoping something that would pop up, that would give more intel. nothing did, and the countdown went from 5/10 to 10/10.

Your first mistake was selling all your intel. Remember that your objective after the initial two is to get to the black site. You'll eventually get a couple of missions with engineer rewards, or you can buy them at HQ with supplies instead of intel. Also, don't buy scientists; you get enough of them throughout the game that you don't need to purchase your own.

mishakoz

Just lost a mission on legendary/ironman. Got to the laptop, tried to hack it, was out of action points and couldnt despite having the mod installed that makes it possible to hack.

So frustrating

Pooya

ok, flashbangs make a tons of difference. It's almost like cheating. How can I insert custom made soldiers in an on going campaign?

Does some smart person know where in the ini files you could disable the camera snapping back, and centering on the next character? I want to be able to switch to the next character (while the first is moving) without the camera auto centering when the first soldier finishes his move. I didn't notice anything in the defaultcamera.ini file.

Nete

Does some smart person know where in the ini files you could disable the camera snapping back, and centering on the next character? I want to be able to switch to the next character (while the first is moving) without the camera auto centering when the first soldier finishes his move. I didn't notice anything in the defaultcamera.ini file.

After the patch I wasted a couple hours messing around with the SDK files for this, and didn't manage to see anything related :(. I felt a bit lost at times with all the code tho, so there's a huge chance I could missed it.

Posted a petition for a mod in the Steam forums. I wasn't the only one to ask this, so with a bit of luck somebody who know what he is doing will fix it.

After the patch I wasted a couple hours messing around with the SDK files for this, and didn't manage to see anything related :(. I felt a bit lost at times with all the code tho, so there's a huge chance I could missed it.

Posted a petition for a mod in the Steam forums. I wasn't the only one to ask this, so with a bit of luck somebody who know what he is doing will fix it.

Nice. Yeah, hopefully someone will make a quick fix mod.

Salsa

I forgot to put on a fucking exo suit before attackin an alien facility

the game reminds you of EVERYTHING and puts an "upgrade" shiny button next to EVERYTHING except MOTHERFUCKING THIS

yeah yeah my mistake but come the fuck on

edit: I blew that shit to bits without even gettin one soldier injured

fuck youuuuuu game

ExVicis

I got a weird glitch where on every mission all the aliens just stand around and look at my guys but they never move or bother going into oversight or even shooting at me. Anyone else had this problem?

Salsa

I finally had the "it was all worth it" moment of having an almost day-long play session where beyond a few casualties that I could recover from, was fuckin ace

so satisfying

not sure if I have this run since they could still throw shit at me, but im feeling balanced

Sblargh

Banned
Wrapping up my pre-DLC ironman legend run.
I really thought I was going for a no-death run this time. Then that Ranger died.
And then I was like "oh man, if it wasn't for that one Ranger", then another Ranger died lol on this mission.

Like, two turns after this screenshot, I was on a building, waiting to ambush the only remaining pod between me and the VIP/Evac (out of sight of the pods on the screenshot save for the ranger who would keep concealement after the ambush), when one of the pods decided to go up the building and reveal the ranger, activating the sectopod and his friends, activating the people in front of me and, well, the entire map was lit up as this point. I guess I was lucky only one died.

Then, very later in the game, I lost 2 squaddie psi-people in a row (initiates?).
So now I am wondering on the map, beefing the psi-op I want to take on the final mission and finish this "once-it-was-a-no-death-run-but-now-it-has-4-people-dead-run"

Salsa

you get so angry over deaths when you thought youd have none that you are immediatly more prone to fuck up

its like a game design choice that your actual brain does

Numerical Health Display is a must. There are some nice weapon mods, including Halo guns, out there. World Expansion Pack and the ADVENT map pack add a lot of variety. Experimental Item Unlock is fantastic, since it lets you get ammo and grenades you've already got through the Proving Ground.

Not exactly "more variety", but my Must Use mods are:

Free camera rotation

Numeric Health Display

Perfect Information, so you can get even more depressed.

Always Show Shot Breakdowns. The tabs closing because why not should have been fixed in the last patch, but I didn't have a chance to test it.

Stop wasting my time, even with ZIP mode there.

True retroactive AWC, because fuck losing the extra skill on that lucky guy that survived from the start.

Smarter Sectoids, because fuck me. I don't feel comfortable with how stupid vanilla Sectoids are.

Beatdown skill. A life saver. And beating down aliens never gets old.

Full customization from start

Lifetime Stats. So you can create appropriate epitaphs for your truly useless soldiers.

World Expansion Project: ADVENT and More maps packs. Even more terrain variety.

If you use the Action Cam mode, Clean Cinematics.

And around 5150347 aesthetic mods with uniforms, armors, helmets, fancy horse hats, camouflage patterns and so. Just take some time to do a pass around and suscribe to anything you may like, is really worth.

Thanks for these. Garbed the Numeric Health, Project Advent and more maps mods, plus the leader class and a couple of cosmetic mods.

New campaign is going good so far (Ironman Commander) one of the things I miss about EU/EW is how terror missions were TERROR missions. First one would make or brake you unlike this game, on the other hand, the overall missions and early enemies you encounter in this game are harder which makes the overall game harder if I would compare the two.

ExVicis

My XCom game is still having problems with the AI, the AI seems to have become completely braindead and won't attack or move around or anything. Restarting the game didn't seem to fix it either. It was amusing at first but now the game's not really interesting with the challenge removed.

My XCom game is still having problems with the AI, the AI seems to have become completely braindead and won't attack or move around or anything. Restarting the game didn't seem to fix it either. It was amusing at first but now the game's not really interesting with the challenge removed.
Trying verifying the cache integrity. That might fix it.

I swear my game performance gets smoother after it sits for a few minutes in the avenger. Super weird.

So far this patch has definitely increased my frame rate - not a ton but it is more stable.

Salsa

I swear my game performance gets smoother after it sits for a few minutes in the avenger. Super weird.

So far this patch has definitely increased my frame rate - not a ton but it is more stable.

my game gets worse after playing a while

im playing a lot in one sitting, but near when im done characters just start glitching out or hanging into actions, or doing overwatches without animations, that sorta thing

memory leak or something?

Nete

105 hours later, I've got my first game crash while loading a mission. Oh well.

AI worked for one round and then it shut off again. I'm not sure now what do. I don't want to but maybe I should restart and do a new game.

Edit: Okay what the fuck it's working again? Goddammit Xcom

Are you using any AI mod? It may got glitched or something.

The hell happened? All my characters have become irrevocably black after an update, with the skin color menu broken and no way to switch skin color at all.

I've got people saying they disabled all their mods and still can't fix it, even on a new game, so I don't know what's up here. I myself only caught this because I keep my Psi Troopers helmetless (Generic Mook Uniform for everyone else!), and now I'm probably going to have to Helmet them too since their skin is unnaturally dark now.

God help us if some modder with a ton of subscribers to one of his things decided to go rogue on a bunch of people and cause this to peoples campaigns which have a dependency on their mod.

Trey

The hell happened? All my characters have become irrevocably black after an update, with the skin color menu broken and no way to switch skin color at all.

I've got people saying they disabled all their mods and still can't fix it, even on a new game, so I don't know what's up here. I myself only caught this because I keep my Psi Troopers helmetless (Generic Mook Uniform for everyone else!), and now I'm probably going to have to Helmet them too since their skin is unnaturally dark now.

God help us if some modder with a ton of subscribers to one of his things decided to go rogue on a bunch of people and cause this to peoples campaigns which have a dependency on their mod.

omg

Operation Caliphate: Obama's America - Fear of a Black Planet.

Top Bottom