• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Wtf it's me or does the game is incredibly buggy? I disabled action cam and even so I have to wait like 10 seconds for an action to be done. Finished the first mission and it got stuck on an animation after trying to promote a soldier.

Yeah its almost a full minute after every action for me until the next prompt is available. Struggled through the first tutorial mission thinking it might get better but it didn't. Gonna delete and do a reinstall and keep my fingers crossed. So disappointed was a mess.

CafE8YiW8AA6s8Y.jpg:large

This game is fucking hard :3

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Game is hard as hell, but awesome none the less. Loving the soldier customization.

Can't wait until it's out in the wild a little longer and we start to get a ton of custimization mods.

Fishook

Really enjoying this, I have started two campaigns one on Veteran and one on Commander, you have to except you going to have losses, not had many timed missions so far, made a a rookie mistake but still completed it easily with one casualty.

Normally I play on easy or normal difficulty and get frustrated with so called hard games, but I have played loads of turn based squad games, so I have I am used to the mechanics of these games. I just think because it has attracted a more mainstream audience then the complainers have come out of the woodwork. I admit I am not a fan of timers, but I wont mod them out, but I may use the extended timer mod, but I am going see how may campaigns pan out. It just nice to use different tactics on different missions rather than turtle over watch all the time,

Lanrutcon

New mod request: I'd like my armor to not be as shiny :/ who goes into combat wearing a suit that's visible from space.

Really enjoying this, I have started two campaigns one on Veteran and one on Commander, you have to except you going to have losses, not had many timed missions so far, made a a rookie mistake but still completed it easily with one casualty.

Normally I play on easy or normal difficulty and get frustrated with so called hard games, but I have played loads of turn based squad games, so I have I am used to the mechanics of these games. I just think because it has attracted a more mainstream audience then the complainers have come out of the woodwork. I admit I am not a fan of timers, but I wont mod them out, but I may use the extended timer mod, but I am going see how may campaigns pan out. It just nice to use different tactics on different missions rather than turtle over watch all the time,

Hows the extended timer mod?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yup Im save scumming lol

very early mission, to stop the relay (like the first one you get in the overworld map), I move on to the target location, I set up a nice ambush, except I accidentaly move to a red spot and alert them. I could sware it wasnt red, the map being all brown doesnt help maybe. So all hell breaks loose, they imediatly kill that soldier that alerted, I move another into the bulding but not in cover inside and of course there were more aliens on the other side of the building and they break in. That one was on me, im super rusty on xcom I guess. Also, I dont know what any of these units do, I should have checked that first lol.

so let me retry that :p

Fishook

Hows the extended timer mod?

Not tried yet, I have not played enough timed missions, on both difficulties to decided whether I am going to use it. I just want the best balance game, also the random missions don't make replaying it seem that boring.

Getting a good start is important in these games, a bit like Mordhiem, I suppose it helps if you are used to playing this genre. I have been playing them for over 20 years, plus playing boardgames, and never really been bothered with RNG and such

Some of these timed missions are bullshit, I just had a one in which I dashed every turn on my ranger except she was out for one turn because she got grabbed by a snake lady and I didn't make it in time.

Dr Dogg

Well my first encounter with a Codex went about as well as expected :(

Don't know if this game is genuinely bastard hard or if it's the new/alter properties of the aliens putting the cat amongst the pigeons. Or more aptly the Faceless amongst the cowering hummies.

patapuf

Well my first encounter with a Codex went about as well as expected :(

Don't know if this game is genuinely bastard hard or if it's the new/alter properties of the aliens putting the cat amongst the pigeons. Or more aptly the Faceless amongst the cowering hummies.

yeah, those two are biig bastards. Even worse than snake ladies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
RIP Jane Kelly, your sword shall be missed ;_;

not save scumming that death tho. game seems hard as balls on veteran, good enough for me tbh lol. respect for you guys on the harder ones but yeah...no

peakish

Time to boot the mission up again after last nights catastrophic failure, all being my fault.

Rest in peace, Lt. Suzuki.

268500_2016-02-06_0002ossg.png

Kadayi

Banned
Gotta say when you really fuck up bigtime flashbangs can be damn useful to buy yourself a turn to regroup and find cover..

Rhaknar

yeah theres no way im not save scumming. I just failed a mission because I literally didnt know what to do. turns out to save the vip you need to go to the BACK of the van to open the door. I mean it makes sense sure, I just hadnt rotated the camera enough to see the prompt. I have a feeling im gonna reload a lot in these first few hours, just because I dont know the systems and am making mistakes because of that, not because I want to.

Before it would be fine because it wouldnt have a turn limit but now with the arbitrary turn limit they put in, by the time I figured it out it was too late. Like now I know what to do on this and future similar missions. So yeah, save scum ahoy (but not for random deaths, that im fine with)

edit: performance is fine so far, at least that

peakish

Damn it, they upped the difficulty of Terror missions since last time. Had to evac with two soldiers, carrying a third one knocked unconcious by a stun lancer. Saved 7/13 civilians but apparently that doesn't count as a partial victory :/ Now I'm out of funds and all of my soldiers are in recovery.

This game is rapidly spiraling towards failure, lol.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So if I am extracting an enemy VIP, and one of my soldiers doesn't make it to the extraction before the turns run out, what happens to that soldier?

That defense mission you have to undertake if the enemy UFO shoots down the Avenger tho.

Central constantly
reinforcing you with fucking everyone. Every rookie. Seemingly the ships cook too. I had nine dudes on the field at one point. Had to leave one behind. A sacrifice to give the rest of my team time to make it back to the Avenger.

So good. So epic.

patapuf

That defense mission you have to undertake if the enemy UFO shoots down the Avenger tho.

Central constantly
reinforcing you with fucking everyone. Every rookie. Seemingly the ships cook too. I had nine dudes on the field at one point. Had to leave one behind.

So good. So epic.

Just did that. Great mission.

Lanrutcon

There's just no way.

They don't adjust the timers later on in the game. 8 turn to destroy a radar with 3 groups of high level enemies ON it.

Yeah. Sure.

Just did that. Great mission.

Man it was getting intense. The enemy was
getting a 3-4 man squad reinforcement drop every turn by the end, sometimes mixed with those Robots and Mutons. I had to dash a rookie out to get squadsight on the EMP Spike so my snipers could finish it off.

Game felt much better as soon as I got passed that third mission train level. The two missions after that felt much more balanced, and I got passed them without having to reload at all.

Really weird to be able to encounter such a difficulty spike in the very beginning of the game.

Starting to get a hang of the strategic view, and it feels really good so far. Like the perfect combo of XCOM and Jagged Alliance.

samn

yup Im save scumming lol

very early mission, to stop the relay (like the first one you get in the overworld map), I move on to the target location, I set up a nice ambush, except I accidentaly move to a red spot and alert them. I could sware it wasnt red, the map being all brown doesnt help maybe. So all hell breaks loose, they imediatly kill that soldier that alerted, I move another into the bulding but not in cover inside and of course there were more aliens on the other side of the building and they break in. That one was on me, im super rusty on xcom I guess. Also, I dont know what any of these units do, I should have checked that first lol.

so let me retry that :p

If you are too far from a space, it won't show it as red even if it is actually red. So you shouldn't sprint too far in one turn while concealed.

patapuf

Man it was getting intense. The enemy was
getting a 3-4 man squad reinforcement drop every turn by the end, sometimes mixed with those Robots and Mutons. I had to dash a rookie out to get squadsight on the EMP Spike so my snipers could finish it off.

I had way too many losses getting my people back

ISee

I can't establish contact to a resistance cell. No matter how long I wait, I'm at negative days now. Am I doing something wrong or is this a serious bug?

screwdkws2s.jpg

Rhaknar

If you are too far from a space, it won't show it as red even if it is actually red. So you shouldn't sprint too far in one turn while concealed.

I did not know that! :)

Lanrutcon

Ok, no. 3 groups on the target, 1 more airdrops in when you get near the target, and another patrol walks in on the fight.

That's 14 enemies, in case anyone was counting. Most of them with 10+ health and armor.

There's just no way.

They don't adjust the timers later on in the game. 8 turn to destroy a radar with 3 groups of high level enemies ON it.

Yeah. Sure.

Get the workshop file that slightly extends timers if you need to. I imagine I might for later missions, it works with your current save.

Serra

Gonna have to wait for some patches seeing the PC performance and all the complaining about various bugs here before buying.

Since this information wasn't there in the introductory post, I thought I might as well inform those who want to order the physical edition or have ordered it but it hasn't been delivered to their doorstep yet.

Unlike some other recently released games, XCOM 2 Physical Edition comes with 4 DVDs and thus you don't need to download anything if you ordered it. My main reason for ordering the physical copy was that it was going for around 18$ in my area of the world.

So if I am extracting an enemy VIP, and one of my soldiers doesn't make it to the extraction before the turns run out, what happens to that soldier?

They're captured, but they later show up as VIPs to rescue with their level and experience intact.

Lanrutcon

Get the workshop file that slightly extends timers if you need to. I imagine I might for later missions, it works with your current save.

I'm just doing the math here, and it's 3 turns to sprint to the target without encountering anything. Then it's 1 turn to get into some kind of offensive position that won't just get me instantly destroyed by enemy explosives. So that leaves me with 4 turns. If I focus the target to kill it in one round, and only half my opponents hit with their attacks in their turn then I lose half my squad. More if I don't flashbang them.

That's super super tight, and the resulting fight is nuts.

Facism

gotta love those overwatch traps where everyone misses despite the reinforcements landing literally on top of your guys

How do I end my turn without taking another action? I have the ranger perk that lets you move after you kill someone but I don't want to move him.

edit: never mind I see it.

Top Bottom