• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

McNum

Yeah, and I only learned about how LOS indicators work. I knew they were in the game too...

How do you use waypoints, anyway?

Should I be concerned if the aliens have four points on the Avatar progress bar, and I haven't even done the first blacksite mission yet?

Eh, the aliens start with some progress. Three I think. Don't let them get any freebie progress, but don't worry about the first 3-4 too much either.

? Gravely wounded on commander has been 3-4 weeks. Around a week is when my soldiers just get "wounded".
Also, Sectoids absolutely use Mind Control on Commander and below. They don't even choose to use "Mind Control": the ability is called "Mindspin" and it can cause a range of effects including Mind Control.

RNG gods are fickle beasts.
EBB65CD8A4DC85DF6DC85D5F41614A894CEF8AF0
On the left: Emily Palmer. Ranger, blademaster, covert operative; she is many things, and all of them are awesome.

On the right: Kojo Sesay. A tough grenadier with endless style. (It's mostly the glasses.)

Oh, so there's a LoS indicator in this one? Thank Christ. I'm playing through EU right now, and not knowing what the fuck is in range at any given moment seriously hinders my ability to plan shit out successfully.

Welp, had a second mission go ENTIRELY sideways, and with only 2 remaining units I decided to call it quits on that campaign :p

Started with the tutorial, and there's actually a whole bunch of cutscenes there :p

Jintor

jesus fucking christ snake waifus and stun lancers aren't kidding around

Oh yeah snakes just got that poison spit, no biggy - HOLY SHIT DID THAT SNAKE JUST SCORPION PULL MY DUDE FROM OUT OF HALF-COVER?!?!? Well I'll rescue him with my other two - holy crap they're running forward like crazy - OH GOD UNCONSCIOUS IN ONE HIT?!?!?! WHAT THE - AAHHHHHH

and that's how my entire 4 man squad got instantly wiped in one turn

How to recruit more engineers? 30 minutes ago, I was shown a screen where I could purchase an engineer and scientist, but I was lacking in resources at the time. Now that I've got the resources I've no idea where that screen was.

Also, on my last mission:

Turn 3: sniper misses 45% shot
Turn 4: sniper misses 55% shot
Turn 6: sniper misses 80% shot
Turn 8: sniper misses 75% shot
Turn 9: sniper misses 60% shot
Turn 10: sniper 'accidentally' runs towards a group of aliens and stands out in the open, forgetting to hide behind cover. Goodbye, I don't need people like that on my team.

They should have red lines that trace back to the enemies assuming you have LOS, that way you don't have to keep looking for enemies to double check.

Hold down the middle mouse button/mousewheel to zoom out temporarily. Very useful for situations like this.

I'm not seeing any red lines, unless I'm being stupid, which is definitely possible. Didn't know about the middle mouse button zoom out, that'll come in handy.

McNum

I'm not seeing any red lines, unless I'm being stupid, which is definitely possible. Didn't know about the middle mouse button zoom out, that'll come in handy.
There's no red line, look for a crosshairs symbol next to the enemy health bars.

Honestly, it could stand to be a bit more obvious.

*Advent pokes one of my soldiers gently with a stick*

GRAVELY WOUNDED - 21 DAYS TO RECOVER

Ain't that the truth.

"Commander! We're woefully understaffed! Also, that truck full of morphine is around back, not sure why they wanted all the water coolers replaced by "morphine coolers," it just sounds silly."

epmode

There's no red line, look for a crosshairs symbol next to the enemy health bars.

Honestly, it could stand to be a bit more obvious.

I'd like to see vectors extending to all targets in sight as you mouseover potential destinations.

Stiler

Finally making some progress.

My favorite character so far:
j0clfPz.jpg

Is it just me or do the big ass mini-gun soldiers have really low range though?

Like I set him up to overwatch in open areas where enemies are going to be and if they even at medium range he seems to miss about 90% of the time.

edit - also it seems a bit strange that the muzzle flash is coming from the middle and not one of the three barrels...

I'm pretty sure XCOM 2 miniguns are like they were in XCOM: EU. High damage and destructive, but poor range, accuracy, and ammo.

Speaking of weapons, shotguns seem a lot stronger than in EU. And those swords. It's just the best combo ever.

Pistol shots and sword slashes look great, every time.

Vex_

Banned
I'm pretty sure XCOM 2 miniguns are like they were in XCOM: EU. High damage and destructive, but poor range, accuracy, and ammo.

Speaking of weapons, shotguns seem a lot stronger than in EU. And those swords. It's just the best combo ever.

Pistol shots and sword slashes look great, every time.

Agree shotguns are beast. But no range. I think they found the perfect balance. I'm still using the first ninja lady I got at the beginning of the game. Her sword is also dope. It also seems to crit a lot. They miss her a lot too when she runs up on em.

Also, the environmental destruction? Wow.

There are too many timers. Between timers during missions, Avatar Project and timed events i'm going to have a heart attack. I'm considering installing one of the timer mods.

There is no better feeling than completing all the objectives in a mission without losing anyone. Then you get to base and they're out of commission due to wounding.

vpance

Scoped minigun isn't so bad at all. Just like with EU I ran with that and chucked nades mostly til I got better weapons.

The aim penalty on shotguns is different in XCOM 2 and it makes them a bit more viable as medium range weapons.

I've finally sort of figured out the early sort of game on legend-use the engineer to accelerate your GTS, try like hell to keep one of your gatecrasher rookies alive and feed them kills to get promoted to Sargeant as soon as possible, then immediately upgrade squad size. I'm pretty sure the month 2 aliens wipe the floor with four man squads (which is why you kill stun lancers over everything else).

zugzug

Interesting was watching a stream saw one of the soldiers named Wendy Hughes I remember that name from the 2012 remake. She was one of my soldiers in my game.

Corpekata

Banned
Checking out Steam Charts and XCOM 2 has apparently taken the number 10 spot for highest peak players of all time (well, since they started recording I suppose), though the bottom half of the list isn't huge in number compared to the juggernauts on top. Might be able to climb to 9 or 8 (Team Fortress 2 and Total War Rome 2) over the weekend as they're only a few thousand away.

How to recruit more engineers? 30 minutes ago, I was shown a screen where I could purchase an engineer and scientist, but I was lacking in resources at the time. Now that I've got the resources I've no idea where that screen was.

Also, on my last mission:

Turn 3: sniper misses 45% shot
Turn 4: sniper misses 55% shot
Turn 6: sniper misses 80% shot
Turn 8: sniper misses 75% shot
Turn 9: sniper misses 60% shot
Turn 10: sniper 'accidentally' runs towards a group of aliens and stands out in the open, forgetting to hide behind cover. Goodbye, I don't need people like that on my team.

Brutal.

They totally deserved it though. If you can't run with the best, don't join the resistance.

Not to knock on this game, love it so far except for the performance issues that are going to make this game the Crysis of this GPU gen (And not for its graphics)...

But why do people say XCOM 2's setting has never been done before?

It's literally Half Life 2, but with a Brave New World bent instead of 1984.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not to knock on this game, love it so far except for the performance issues that are going to make this game the Crysis of this GPU gen (And not for its graphics)...

But why do people say XCOM 2's setting has never been done before?

It's literally Half Life 2, but with a Brave New World bent instead of 1984.

Who says that? Ive never seen anyone say that. Hell I havent seen anyone talk about the plot at all

Who says that? Ive never seen anyone say that. Hell I havent seen anyone talk about the plot at all

Discussion a few pages ago with someone bitching about losing EU being canon where someone said that loss being canon allowed for a unique setting.

Unique for XCOM, sure, that's definitely new ground for the IP, but occupied Earth's been done before.

Joco

Man this game does not run well for me. Using a 6600k and GTX 970 I'm getting 20 fps on max settings, and my GPU makes some serious buzzing noise (not sure why, first game I've had that problem with).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Discussion a few pages ago with someone bitching about losing EU being canon where someone said that loss being canon allowed for a unique setting.

Unique for XCOM, sure, that's definitely new ground for the IP, but occupied Earth's been done before.

I read / heard somewhere that they went with that because their data showed that most people failed the enemy unknown campaign

Lol if its true :D

Man this game does not run well for me. Using a 6600k and GTX 970 I'm getting 20 fps on max settings, and my GPU makes some serious buzzing noise (not sure why, first game I've had that problem with).

Then dont use max settings like 99.9% of us arent.

McNum

I need to give Firebrand a raise after this mission. VIP Breakout, got dropped on a tall roof, with concealed vision of two enemy patrols. Those missions get a lot easier when you take out two pods in one ambush. Extracted with four turns left. Also, my grenades say that hacking a cell door isn't necessary.

I think it's Blacksite time next. I need to knock the Avatar counter down a peg, and until I get Resistance Comms going, I don't see any other way. The magnetic weapons are sweet, though, but I think I'll have to go without Cannon and Sniper Rifle for that one.

ZJe1G6I.jpg

Finally getting a legend/ironman roster that might be able to do something. I still don't know what I am doing on the strategic layer but the tactical missions turned on a dime once I got squad size upgrade.

Also one of the things about the timers is that they feel really frontloaded-when you are working with a team of four, all with one item cooldown a mission at most, it's hard to pack in enough action economy sometimes. Next time I'm going to make a bigger emphasis on fighting on roofs when I can since you either get elevation OR you get double damage out of your grenades when you drop the floor out from under them.

Phionoxx

Really enjoying the game so far on Veteran, it has been a good challenge level for me. Have had to leave some people behind and have some casualties too. Think that I might have screwed myself over by putting off constructing the Resistance Comms facility, but we will see if I can pull through or not.

Also, I don't mind the 12 turn timer missions but frustrated that those also mandate a ser extract point, and oh by the way reinforcements will arrive within activation distance of your forced extract site one turn after securing the VIP.

If someone makes a mod that lets you use the beacon to call in your own extract grid for those missions I will happily use it. Just makes sense tactically - why advance beyond ground you have likely yet to recon or clear? Better to fall back and regroup in known territory that's already been cleared out. I get what they are going for game design wise, but its hard for me to overlook it.

Is there a stat that dictates panic competency? Because I just found a Rookie who might have set the gold standard.

I hopped (dashing) her down off of a building, after gaining a commanding view of the street below and the structure holding the extraction poin, only to find that IMMEDIATELY behind her were a Sectoid and an Advent trooper... naturally, at this point I was already writing her eulogy. But then the Sectoid took cover ahead of her, in a position she was shielded from, and the trooper took up on behind her. "Okay," I think, "so maybe she'll get hit for 3 or so and then mind controlled."

But the sectoid goes before the trooper, and this genius decides to panic my little rookie. She does, then runs around into high cover (against BOTH of them), pulls out her gun, and I swear to god lands a crit on the sectoid. Absolutely brilliant.

Turn down your settings? I have a 5820k, 970. I get near 60 (Some variance) most the time and I only lowered a few settings. AA to FXAA anisotropic to 8x. Everything else still maxed.

Okay, first real balance quibble: Sectoids are way, WAY too inclined to use their powers. This guy's at one life, surrounded by my dudes, and uses his one action on... raising a zombie.

They might as well not even HAVE guns.

Rhaknar

Okay, first real balance quibble: Sectoids are way, WAY too inclined to use their powers. This guy's at one life, surrounded by my dudes, and uses his one action on... raising a zombie.

They might as well not even HAVE guns.

Maybe he really likes zombies

Top Bottom