• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Trickster

For missions where you don't have to go to an evac point at the end, do I have to be carrying anyone that's unconcious in order to not leave them behind in the field?

Clevinger

Please tell me everyone's old war vet came with guile hair.
DshHIFC.jpg

iosefe

No I was hacking a tower. I was comparing the percentages. 0% on a tower (which completed) and 100% on objective (which completed) is weird.

the thing on the ower was percentage chance of feedback

depending on which reward you chose it will show both percantages adding up to 100%

Tacitus_

Game crashed in the final mission.. think I'll sleep on it as it's getting late and the last room was several different kinds of bullshit

objective:
kill 3 avatars
while
the aliens get reinforcements seemingly every turn

the thing on the ower was percentage chance of feedback

depending on which reward you chose it will show both percantages adding up to 100%

Ooohhhh, now I feel stupid.

Corpekata

Banned
For missions where you don't have to go to an evac point at the end, do I have to be carrying anyone that's unconcious in order to not leave them behind in the field?

Yes. Knocked out people are only recovered by default in missions that end by killing all the enemies. Same with the unique gear of dead soldiers.

I found my new love. Blaster bombs, guided rockets with a range of 45 that do 10 AOE damage. Have a phantom spot a crowd and you can launch a rocket from across the map. And once you get the suits for it, any class can use them.

lionpants

With the Implacible bonus, do you have to move when the bonus is triggered? How do I just say, "I want to stay where I am". I can't hunker down or over watch.

Trickster

Yes. Knocked out people are only recovered by default in missions that end by killing all the enemies. Same with the unique gear of dead soldiers.

So, I don't have to be carrying someone if there isn't an evac point?

You kinda responded one way, and then seemed to say the opposite in your explanation, so just want to make sure.

Lanrutcon

I found my new love. Blaster bombs, guided rockets with a range of 45 that do 10 AOE damage. Have a phantom spot a crowd and you can launch a rocket from across the map. And once you get the suits for it, any class can use them.

I know, right? A spotter and 5 of those things essentially ends the fight before it begins.

pa22word

Man what a year from aaa this year on the old school pc side of things. Last year was pretty much shit, but this year we've gotten xcom 2, that new homeworld, getting 2 new deus ex type games, doom looks to be better this year than it has for the last 15 years, etc.

I bought like zero aaa games last year, and I'm already pumped for 5 or so this year.

Mr Swine

Banned
Playing this game for 2 days I realized how screwed I became with the stupid choices I made in the early game. I was having big problems clearing groups of enemies with 4 soldiers and was constantly running out of supply and Intel. It didn't get better since I completely misunderstood how to access those radio towers to gain the ability to complete missions to slow down the Avatar timer.

Now I have restarted and got a 5 man army and its already a lot easier in the early game, need to unlock the last one

SRG01

Playing this game for 2 days I realized how screwed I became with the stupid choices I made in the early game. I was having big problems clearing groups of enemies with 4 soldiers and was constantly running out of supply and Intel. It didn't get better since I completely misunderstood how to access those radio towers to gain the ability to complete missions to slow down the Avatar timer.

Now I have restarted and got a 5 man army and its already a lot easier in the early game, need to unlock the last one

Yeah, if there's one complaint I have, it's that Intel and Supply mechanics aren't fully explained in the early game.

peakish

So, I don't have to be carrying someone if there isn't an evac point?

You kinda responded one way, and then seemed to say the opposite in your explanation, so just want to make sure.
You don't have to carry them. You only need to pick up loot and corpses if you're escaping using an evac zone.

213372bu

Banned
So...

are these turn timers just straight-up bugged or did they really expect me to go through all that bullshit in ~8 turns?

As a really aggressive "gun-jumper" this seems impossible without having to download a mod.

Half my missions end with the ranger of the group being on all four of the stats (most damage etc.). Run & gun, rapid fire, implacable and untouchable is a killer combo.

Lanrutcon

So...

are these turn timers just straight-up bugged or did they really expect me to go through all that bullshit in ~8 turns?

As a really aggressive "gun-jumper" this seems impossible without having to download a mod.

Nope. Game expects you to do it. Doesn't matter if it's early game or late game or if the enemy spawns right next to your starting area or 3 patrols are squatting on the target.

8 turns. Go.

They really nailed Legend difficultly in this game. It's a clear homage to the way that campaigns fell apart in Long War-slow, insidious minor setbacks feeding into another one until the whole thing collapses in a massive cascade failure. The wound times and longer tech/construction times (note-the aliens keep progressing as normal) slowly tighten the vise on the player and actually reduce the player's margin of error as the game goes on. The player eventually gets tools to counteract this somewhat, but then they are having to deal with the game's mid and late game battlefield threats and are still up against the wind as there's only two squad size upgrades in the game (which help smooth out the difficultly).

Rad-

So...

In most maps it's very doable but once in a blue moon you get a secure VIP random map that is near impossible even if you hit enemies with 100% accuracy. I got one of those and that was some total BS.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Not a fan of the timer in some missions, it seems quite arbitrary... I lost one guy because he was one square away from an evac zone even though all enemies in the level were dead :(

There is a mod to turn it off however. would be nice to turn it off for specific missions though.

Mupod

I think they attack it, because you normally throw it to a place near the enemies without cover, so they have the best chance to hit. If you throw your beacon behind full cover, they would probably chose someone else.

I put mine behind full cover last mission and an archon ran face first into a bunch of overwatch just to shoot at it. He actually ended his turn in the square next to my grenadier who was closer.

Rad-

Not a fan of the timer in some missions, it seems quite arbitrary... I lost one guy because he was one square away from an evac zone even though all enemies in the level were dead :(

There is a mod to turn it off however. would be nice to turn it off for specific missions though.

I don't mind it other than what I posted, in some rare secure VIP missions where the randomizer fucks you up the ass.

Forgive me if this has been mentioned but, 18 hours in, I just found out that applying a PCS will instantly take a Gravely Wounded soldier and make them available for deployment.

A mod to turn off the timers you say? I'll be picking that one up.

I use one that adds 2-4 turns for most missions. It keeps a sense of "I gotta really think about how I want to do this" but I don't feel like I have to blitz either. Could be because I'm just not great at strategy games but it feels a lot better to me. If I took away all timers I'd feel compelled to up the difficulty.

edit: apparently there's a mod that while your squad is in concealment, the timer will not tick. That's a pretty interesting idea as well. Has some thematic sense to it as well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm not opposed to the timers per se, but on a lot of the missions with timers i feel like i just have to play recklessly, not smartly, to complete the missions on time. one mission i moved as quickly as i could while still staying in concealment, and i swear that the only way i could make the objective in time was to blow a hole in the side of the building, which of course alerted the three packs that were all standing conveniently around it. 2 KIA, 1 captured.
stunned.gif

Really smooths out the difficulty curve. Plus you get to, you know, employ strategies and shit that don't amount to 'sprint lots and don't miss'.

I use other strategies with timers...

You need to spend some time properly loading out your guys, though. Need to be very flexible. Battle scanners are surprisingly great too.

Corpekata

Banned
I haven't had an issue with timers at all on Veteran. Only time I've gotten anyone captured was on an Avenger defense mission where a stun lancer got a lucky stun in with too many reinforcements, causing my medic to go limp and 2 others to panic and run away. Would have been to unpredictable a bloodbath to try and rescue then, so bailed. Haven't had a rescue mission yet.

Also, good lord is Serial good on Sharpshooters provided you give them an Auto Load weapon mod. My main is aptly nicknamed Apex and I have to try to avoid killing everything with him in order to spread experience around.

Really smooths out the difficulty curve. Plus you get to, you know, employ strategies and shit that don't amount to 'sprint lots and don't miss'.

If this is your strategy, then of course you will have problems with the turn timer. That's not how to play it. Be aggressive with explosives in the early game and you'll be fine, by the late game your squad should be good enough that the turn timers are not a problem.

All this talk about the timers seems exaggerated to me. Yeah, it's hard, but people are acting like if you do nothing but sprint towards the objective you still can't make it in time. Absolutely not true. You have to constantly push but there's absolutely enough time to take cover, throw grenades, etc.

If this is your strategy, then of course you will have problems with the turn timer. That's not how to play it. Be aggressive with explosives in the early game and you'll be fine, by the late game your squad should be good enough that the turn timers are not a problem.

I think the main problem for many people is, that they engage in drawn out cover-to-cover stalemate firefights. Thats not how it should be done. Early game, you should almost never shoot at people in cover. The odds are too bad. Flank! And if flanking is not possible, blow that cover up with grenades. Blow up everything. Grenades are your friend in this game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be that guy, but I've never had a problem with the turn timers? I'm playing on default difficulty (Veteran? I forget), but with that in mind I've never run into an impossible situation. I will say the 8-turn missions can be pretty tight, but I've never even felt rushed because of them. Don't forget that in concealment there's really no reason not to dash as long as you don't dash straight around corners and other places you have no LOS on.

The geoscape on the other hand, that thing makes me an anxious wreck. Between how poorly it's explained (as in, not really at all) and the fact that it's just super stressful with the constant interruptions, I don't really like what they've done with it.

Top Bottom