• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Falk

that puzzling face
That straight out makes taking hits a non-issue. I don't think there's any way it can be intentional, heh.

Well having your soldiers come back as gravely wounded after you heal them fully in combat is also broken so this seem fair :p

Maybe it's just like doping.

Recovery time should go up when you use medkits.

I really like the timers, but I'm always planning 4 or 5 turns ahead. Of course it often doesn't work out the way it does in my head, but it forces me to think strategically in a way I wouldn't if I just turtled and over watched. I might change my opinion once I get deeper in, ha ha, but so far I'm enjoying most aspects of the game.

McNum

Not to be that guy, but I've never had a problem with the turn timers? I'm playing on default difficulty (Veteran? I forget), but with that in mind I've never run into an impossible situation. I will say the 8-turn missions can be pretty tight, but I've never even felt rushed because of them. Don't forget that in concealment there's really no reason not to dash as long as you don't dash straight around corners and other places you have no LOS on.

The geoscape on the other hand, that thing makes me an anxious wreck. Between how poorly it's explained (as in, not really at all) and the fact that it's just super stressful with the constant interruptions, I don't really like what they've done with it.
I'm pretty much the same. I haven't run into any turn timer problems yet, but the strategic part is stressful. I just want to contact this region, could you please NOT have an interruption right now? Yes, there's a cache of alien alloys, nice, I guess. Oh, and that town is on fire, go fix that. And the aliens just got a free Avatar point because why not?

The strategy part could do with more transparent. Why do things happen, and what can I do, if anything about it?

Lanrutcon

If this is your strategy, then of course you will have problems with the turn timer. That's not how to play it. Be aggressive with explosives in the early game and you'll be fine, by the late game your squad should be good enough that the turn timers are not a problem.

Nah. Squad gets better, but so does the enemy health and armor. Plus more and more enemies are immune to flanking and have giant dodge bonuses (giant stationary orb? no problem! -35 to hit and can't be flanked). One turn of missed shots is enough to make an 8 turn VIP extraction downright impossible, and enough to make any of the other 8 turn missions a sprint-a-thon. When the RNG is that big of a factor, you gotta ask what they were thinking when they came up with the magic number 8.

Given how virtually every forum about this game is completely saturated with posts complaining about the time limits, I'm pretty secure in my opinion that the turn limits are going to get patched.

epmode

Any input on how the Steam controller works with this?

It's nice to play the game with a controller but you have to resort to mouse cursor emulation too much to be as useful as the XInput implementation in the last two games. I'm kinda picky when it comes to UI design though.

justjim89

Is there a way to significantly set back the progress on
the Advent Project
, or is it just one square for completing the
Black Site mission
? I was under the impression there was a way to completely reset the project's progress. That fucking
Black Site mission
was way too much work to just set back one square, especially since now my whole squad got injured and I gotta heal them up and train up rookies. The progress bar is already halfway and I'm starting to fear I'll have to restart my game.

Even with savescumming this game is kicking my ass.

nonnocere

It's nice to play the game with a controller but you have to resort to mouse cursor emulation too much to be as useful as the XInput implementation in the last two games. I'm kinda picky when it comes to UI design though.

Okay, thanks. I got a Link, but my 360 controllers are all dead. Trying to justify a paired purchase.

Morat

Banned
Holy shit the
avenger defense
missions are hard. Playing n veteran and only barely made it out of there.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a way to significantly set back the progress on
the Advent Project
, or is it just one square for completing the
Black Site mission
? I was under the impression there was a way to completely reset the project's progress. That fucking
Black Site mission
was way too much work to just set back one square, especially since now my whole squad got injured and I gotta heal them up and train up rookies. The progress bar is already halfway and I'm starting to fear I'll have to restart my game.

Even with savescumming this game is kicking my ass.

Not completely, but any alien facilities knock it back too.

Holy. Moly. I just played the misson where
a UFO hunts the Avenger and you have to destroy some kind of power source

Wow, took me over one hour, two soldiers died, the rest wounded. So intense. I love this game.

Any input on how the Steam controller works with this? Additionally, Steam Link + Steam controller functionality?
I'm really digging the top community config (which I think is a modified version of firaxis official config). It took a little bit of getting used to but quickly became second nature and makes comfy couch mode for this game very viable.

Clunker

I'm treating my first run as a faux ironman past the tutorial, and man, is Earth boned. I'm on Veteran but I'm totally blind as far ad mechanics and new aliens' special abilities, and my squad is like the Keystone Cops out there but I am loving every second of this. Just limped my way through a retaliation mission where I lost two of my most experienced lieutenants because I learned the hard way not to melee a muton. I also had a "bullshit rng" moment when two flashbanged enemies both hit and critted the same person, killing my medic - but then I got sweet karmic payback when two different aliens missed point-blank range shots on my top ranger (Jane Kelly!).

Fuck, I didn't realize how much I missed XCOM.

Nah. Squad gets better, but so does the enemy health and armor. Plus more and more enemies are immune to flanking and have giant dodge bonuses (giant stationary orb? no problem! -35 to hit and can't be flanked). One turn of missed shots is enough to make an 8 turn VIP extraction downright impossible, and enough to make any of the other 8 turn missions a sprint-a-thon. When the RNG is that big of a factor, you gotta ask what they were thinking when they came up with the magic number 8.

Given how virtually every forum about this game is completely saturated with posts complaining about the time limits, I'm pretty secure in my opinion that the turn limits are going to get patched.

I guess I am just a god of XCOM. When you get your squad up and you get higher level equipment, the RNG comes less and less into play because you're more able to get those flanking shots and guaranteed hits from things like combat protocol and grenades. Use hacking more, use your Phantoms, grapple your sniper up onto a roof and have them wreck house. Take the high ground wherever you can get it. This game doesn't just encourage being creative and varied in your approach, it requires it.

In the early game I try to bring at least 2 flashbangs or 1 mimic beacon and 1 flashbang for sticky situations/to set up my flanks. A single flashbang deployed effectively can be enough to wipe out an entire pod.

Klyka

Banned
I have not once been at a turn timer less than 2 turns left before I got the objective.

It's really not all that crazy.

I mean, concealment is basically god mode and concealed rangers are LITERAL gods, so.

Salsa

this game is so fucking good and the performance is so fucking bad that it's a god damn tragedy

im struggling hard

Okay so here are all the bugs I'm experiencing on a ~16 hour save:

-Soldier animations not playing while moving
-Cutscene animations hitching up/not playing
-Destruction animations play maybe a quarter of the time they should
-Doors do not animate
-Enemies can walk through walls on patrol
-Regular enemies can see soldiers who are outside through solid walls
-Attacks that should be bound by geometry clip through walls (viper tongue, etc)
-Enemies can melee through walls without destroying them
-Soldiers will sometimes not be able to perform any actions, have to mash tab to cycle through soldiers until their actions are available again or reload the save
-Soldiers will fall through floors that haven't been destroyed and take damage
-Enemies launch straight up in the air if killed from a higher position (this one is at least hilarious so it can stay)
-Game gets stuck between actions and can take up to 15 seconds to move to the next action

Anyone else getting this stuff? It's becoming ridiculous.

Hundreds of hours in XCOM:EW...and I give up with this one until a patch is released. Buggy, janky piece of shit, with a really good game hidden in there. I'm sure down the road when it is modded, it'll be fantastic, but Firaxis is another company on my "do not trust aka don't believe their lies" list.

-Soldier animations not playing while moving
-Cutscene animations hitching up/not playing
-Doors do not animate
-Enemies can walk through walls on patrol
-Attacks that should be bound by geometry clip through walls (viper tongue, etc)
-Soldiers will sometimes not be able to perform any actions, have to mash tab to cycle through soldiers until their actions are available again or reload the save
-Enemies launch straight up in the air if killed from a higher position (this one is at least hilarious so it can stay)
-Game gets stuck between actions and can take up to 15 seconds to move to the next action

I've seen a lot of those. Getting melee'd through a window is the worst.

Honestly, I really enjoy the game, but it is ridiculous that it received a 91 MC score in this state.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I have seen almost all of those. This game is janky as fuck, and on top of that it runs like an absolute dog. Sometimes my FPS will just go to like 15-20 when I'm aiming a cone ability, and go back to "normal" (still bad performance) when I stop.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

-Doors do not animate

I just had all of these on the same defense mission. The soldier who couldn't perform any actions was unconscious and the bug also made it so I couldn't pick her up. I had a bit of a rage quit after I dealt with three different drop pods trying to figure out the problem before remembering I still had a revive charge on somebody else, then when she got up she still couldn't take any action.

I also have seen the Viper tongue go straight through a wall to attack a soldier that wasn't in any enemy's line of sight. Another fun one involving the Viper went:

Viper grabs blade spec Ranger
Ranger kills Viper before bind attack actually happens from entering melee range
Ranger still animates as though the dead viper is binding him
Other Viper runs up and gets killed by Ranger because of melee range, Ranger still in Viper bind animation
Ranger attempts to hack objective, moves across map in viper bind like a chess piece, hard lock once the hack attempt is supposed to begin because he can't move his arms to display the tablet interface

I've gotten a bunch of those bugs, although honestly as long as they don't affect gameplay I don't mind. That said between bugs, glaring performance issues, and the lack of clarity/polish around certain gameplay elements, this game needs to get patched quick.

Gaz_RB

So is it possible to get captured soldiers back? I had to leave a soldier behind and I'm still pretty broken up about it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So is it possible to get captured soldiers back? I had to leave a soldier behind and I'm still pretty broken up about it.

This was like the only thing I heard pre-release that I wish I didn't know, but apparently they can come up as rescue VIP missions later

these two bugs have been annoying me like hell, to the point where I'm tempted to just wait for patches.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
these two bugs have been annoying me like hell, to the point where I'm tempted to just wait for patches.

If I wanted to play Ironman for my first game I'd definitely wait.

Another bug that I don't mind at all because I was too busy laughing about was during the same defense mission I mentioned above. The game became really confused about weapon models. Sniper rifles looked like shotguns, shotguns and pistols both looked like sniper rifles. My gunslinger no-scoping five different aliens on one turn looked dumb enough for the bug to be worth it.

So not only can codex enemies teleport and attack on the same move, they can also duplicate themselves, disable your weapons, and dodge 100%-chance stealth attacks. Truly balanced design.

After an entire weekend of play, I've restarted my game. I mucked up a lot of my build and research priorities, and left the first blacksite way too late after a disastrous first attempt...

Kinda depressing, but I've already learned from a ton of my mistakes in the first 1-2 hours of my second attempt, and I'm just days from having magnetic weapons just as the avatar project first pops up.

So not only can codex enemies teleport and attack on the same move, they can also duplicate themselves, disable your weapons, and dodge 100%-chance stealth attacks. Truly balanced design.

A shotgun blast at close range is your best bet. Even if it doesn't result in a kill, you'll have just one very weak clone. I've found them to either go down very quickly or be utter hell to deal with.

Klyka

Banned

use a flashbang or anything else that disorients them and they can't do shit anymore.

Recovery time should go up when you use medkits.

Eh, the penalty for carrying a medkit is already present in the form of not being able to carry more useful gear (which could've very well prevented the damage from happening in the first place). To add on top of it seems excessive.

Top Bottom