• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I didn't try Wraith, but WAR is a Warden suit with one item slot less, 1 extra armor and a heavy weapon ala EXO suit. Oh, and a shield ability you will probably never use :p

oh fuck I forgot the exo suits had the heavy weapons...i love those

are there no plasma...err grenade launcher. I mean, I have plasma grenades, but a tier 3 grenade launcher, looks wise?

Seeing people come up with new modeled assets makes me optimistic that EU/EWs laser weapons will get added to the game soon, since all the assets are in the SDK.

Did they make XCOM 2 more moddable? Already a fuck ton of mods it seems.

They worked with the Long War devs to create some robust tools. You can download them from Steam, but you'll need around 60GB of space. Compared to something like GTA V, it's pretty amazing that we're already seeing stuff like additional models, classes, items, UI improvements, etc. Glad that they don't seem to have gimped functionality for the sake of selling their DLC later on down the line.

Miker

I'm wary of trying out too many mods before patches. Some of the quality of life and balancing mods seem great, but I feel like some of them will be incorporated by Firaxis themselves.

Gaz_RB

Firaxis released some amazing mod tools, something EU/EW never had. And according to the Long War people, you can do anything you can think of.

They worked with the Long War devs to create some robust tools. You can download them from Steam, but you'll need around 60GB of space. Compared to something like GTA V, it's pretty amazing that we're already seeing stuff like additional models, classes, items, UI improvements, etc. Glad that they don't seem to have gimped functionality for the sake of selling their DLC later on down the line.

Holy shit. This is like the PC turn based messiah. Gonna be like Skyrim level of modding.

I can't wait for mods that just slow everything down. I don't mind only getting 1 reward of 3, but let me scan all the way or move away before something else triggers. Adding back laser weapons before plasma would be amazing too. I have my issues with the game right now, but it's going to be crazy good in a few months.

Oh, and all the assets for shivs and mecs are there... :)

Zeliard

Just beat the game. Good stuff. It seems easier than the first game due to lack of time urgency in the strategic layer. In XCOM 1, you're racing against the clock to try and get satellite coverage or risk losing continents. Most likely, you won't end the game without having to make a hard choice over which ones to save and which ones to abandon.

In XCOM 2, you can take the game at a more leisurely pace. As long as you can wait it out, you can't lose anything. It reminds me of the difference between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2.

This is actually true. The Avatar clock seems a lot scarier than it really is. Truth is, so long as you have an advent site waiting in the wings to be invaded, you're fine. Doing one of those will knock 5 squares off the clock, and you have something like 20 days to get it done. I've already let the Avatar clock go to max once and I have no qualms about letting it get to max again. I've heard of other players letting it go to max several times in a single playthrough with no issues.

And letting the Avatar clock freely move means you can take your time to properly build up your base and squad.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Doing one of those will knock 5 squares off the clock, and you have something like 20 days to get it done.

Wait, are you talking the (potential story spoiler)
the 'story' advent sites for researching the codex/advent officer brains
, or something else?

My blacksites were all 1/2/3 squares worth of research decreasing when I finished them

Lingitiz

This is actually true. The Avatar clock seems a lot scarier than it really is. Truth is, so long as you have an advent site waiting in the wings to be invaded, you're fine. Doing one of those will knock 5 squares off the clock, and you have something like 20 days to get it done. I've already let the Avatar clock go to max once and I have no qualms about letting it get to max again. I've heard of other players letting it go to max several times in a single playthrough with no issues.

And letting the Avatar clock freely move means you can take your time to properly build up your base and squad.

I think misconceptions about the Avatar clock early on are what lead to that initial difficulty being so high. You think you really need to move quickly to avoid getting too many pips on the clock, but really it pays to not panic and build up the right equipment early on. It's fairly easy to reset the clock and push it back, especially since even after it fills there's a countdown that you can reset as well.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Question for those who have finished the game. I heard that the final mission is bullshit levels of hard and most people that beat it brought along a Psi Op with Stasis and Mind Control. I am nearing end-game
(Completed the Avatar research and got the last mission from the counci guy before the aliens murdered him)
and I have only just built a Psi Lab. I am assuming that I am a couple of missions away from the end, so I was wondering if I should wait till I max my Psi Op's level or just screw it and play the final mission without a Psi Op

Sblargh

Banned

I have been doing that on purpose either. Letting one factory build multiple blocks is better than whack a mole them across the map.

Faabulous

Jesus christ,
that EMP strike on the avenger is fucking brutal, lost almost all my top soldiers.

I might just need to restart.

Moff

I don't think I have ever seen randomized game design done this good like here
so many cool situations that feel natural and unique at the same time
I just had a great urban mission with many high positions, that moment when the last pod lands in the perfect range on the ground in front of my 2 supersharpshooters on the roof and you just know you will blast them away easily

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so once I research this
shadow stuff
am I near the end? I dont have much else to upgrade tbh, feels like I can finish the game now

Sblargh

Banned
Ironman commander so far is kicking me around. :(

I do mostly ok, but then there's always that one sequence of bad missions that derail everything.

Otoh the constant restarts made me very good at initial tech/build order.

Flare

So, last mission spoilers

The part where an Ethereal (which you hadn't actually seen/heard in the game AFAIK) appears and says "you will defeat them, as you did before" weirded me out a bit. What was up with that. I mean there is no "before" where you defeated them bc the EU ending didn't happen. So...what

Kinda late,
but I figured he was talking about defeating the resistance on Earth (through Advent) following the defeat in EU through the use of the chip in the Commander's head. They want the commander to join them, defeat this new resistance and whatever else that's coming.

I'm probably wrong though, I didn't really pay much attention.

McNum

"Commander, let me repeat the same shit even tho you've already done the missions a dozen times already."
"Commander, hostile interceptors are approcaching your position. Your extraction window is closing!"

Bradford, please look at this tactical overview. Notice how everyone is within an orange move of the Evac area. I'm good. No need to shout. I got this.

Rhaknar

missions are getting MUCH harder, so many powerful units at the same time

LiK

is there a way to easily skip reinforcement cutscenes and Central yelling at me during missions? I can skip the reinforcement stuff but pressing ESC and resuming game.

Vitor711

Guys, I destroyed the first X-Com reboot and never found it a challenge even on the harder difficulties but I am getting wrecked here. I need tips.

I'm playing on normal and lose 2 guys every mission. I built the Guerilla Training things first because, well, more soldier per deployment sounded OP. But I just keep losing my senior crew and haven't been able to unlock a single upgrade on that wasted development due to not having anyone promoted.

We need a mod thread.

What is good.
What is garbage.
What breaks the game.

etc...

I can see the mods rapidly becoming a mess when it comes to curation. It seems as though the workshop doesn't group common things together such as; classes, customization options, etc...

Top Bottom