• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

That makes sense but they would need to rework the entire system as every close encounter would be a 100% hit. So yea they kept the design choices they made in past, you either love it or don't, at least they are pretty clear on that. I don't mind the RNG % system tbh, it's far from perfect and sometimes makes no sense but I'm used to it so in a way have accepted to play by those rules and don't expect them to be realistic.

I'm totally fine with % to hit, love EW, but dodge and graze attacks just feels like it was added to even make your hits miss. Just seems try hard, like the devs buy into the "XCOM is hard" train of thought, forgetting that fair hard is the best, and cheap hard is frustrating. Dodge, enemies attacking on your turn, and how the timers are used just make me feel it's going in the wrong direction. I still really enjoyed what I've played so far, but man.

mbpm1

I'm totally fine with % to hit, love EW, but dodge and graze attacks just feels like it was added to even make your hits miss. Just seems try hard, like the devs buy into the "XCOM is hard" train of thought, forgetting that fair hard is the best, and cheap hard is frustrating. Dodge, enemies attacking on your turn, and how the timers are used just make me feel it's going in the wrong direction. I still really enjoyed what I've played so far, but man.

Fighting enemies with good dodge is annoying bu manageable

Fighting enemies with good jobs and good lockdown abilities is just rough, with support frustrating.

Fighting enemies with dodge and good lockdown abilities that create fully functioning clones at any hint of damage which spawn behind your squad and often in cover is just...SNK Boss level salt.

That's why I think mods will be essential in the long run. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people who feel the same and someone will "fix" those things similarly to what happened with the Long War in the past.

Also Great tits ahoy!

How did I not realize that any pistol ability the gunslinger uses in his first turn counts for quickdraw (I thought it was just a standard pistol shot). You can use lightning hands, then fan fire and showdown in one turn.

Also gunslinger with AP rounds

nWaVbdQ.gif

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
You could be a filthy save scummer like I was

"Oh that shot missed? I'll just move a soldier somewhere else so the chances reroll after I reload my last turn."

"Oh that hacking chance says 10%? Better experiment with moving random soldiers around and taking actions until I get that sectopod."

this is so me. I just keep reloading and reloading saves, till i get the perfect sequence.

Bombless

Had a weird bug on a Retaliation mission. First time encountering a muton zerker, I shoot him up, he enrages and turns to whack a baton ADVENT. Poor guy got knocked unconscious and became untargetable but somehow he still had half his health. After 2 turns he stood up but remained untargetable. The rest of the aliens ended up not shooting for the rest of the map.

The unconscious dude kept yelling at the end of their turn though, it was quite funny.

mbpm1

Had a weird bug on a Retaliation mission. First time encountering a muton zerker, I shoot him up, he enrages and turns to whack a baton ADVENT. Poor guy got knocked unconscious and became untargetable but somehow he still had half his health. After 2 turns he stood up but remained untargetable. The rest of the aliens ended up not shooting for the rest of the map.

The unconscious dude kept yelling at the end of their turn though, it was quite funny.

Free him from his hell

Jintor

If dodge triggered on a miss that'd be more interesting. I'm not sure if that's how it works though.

The old problem was stuff like heavy floaters would have like ridiculous amounts of defence so no matter what you did you couldn't hit it until RNGesus played you off. I'm fairly certain Dodge is supposed to mitigate it by letting you essentially do 'chip damage', but since it's opaque how it's triggered, I can't tell how it's meant to work.

mercviper

Question for those who have finished the game. I heard that the final mission is bullshit levels of hard and most people that beat it brought along a Psi Op with Stasis and Mind Control. I am nearing end-game
(Completed the Avatar research and got the last mission from the counci guy before the aliens murdered him)
and I have only just built a Psi Lab. I am assuming that I am a couple of missions away from the end, so I was wondering if I should wait till I max my Psi Op's level or just screw it and play the final mission without a Psi Op

Just finished the game on Veteran Ironman. Psi Ops didn't feel like make or break on the last fight, I basically didn't do anything with him except dominate an archon early in the mission. My MVP for it was a pistoleer sniper. Would've been a hell of a lot harder to win the last fight without her.

Final stats http://i.imgur.com/SOjjp6I.png

Now to start Commander Ironman with GAF-COM.

Was watching Beagle on the side today and he mentioned this mod to help you load saves that had mods taken down or something. Seems to be a fairly common complaint so I'll post it here too. Might not help with DLC that actually provides assets though. Or it might but introduce bugs? Dunno.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619141883

This is the exact bug I had.

Are unconscious units supposed to get back up later? Because neither the ADVENT nor my soldier (knocked unconscious shortly after) ever got up again; though at least the soldier survived the mission.

Sblargh

Banned
Some quick tips for begginers. They only maybe will get you killed.

First of all, your first move is a blue move and your second an orange one. There is no reason to dash (other than baiting enemy overwatch), so there is no reason to not do a blue move, tab to the next soldier, do his blue move and so on.

How do I move:
If on concealement
your blue move is the furthest you can go, ignore cover. If on a timer and no enemy spotted, move again, this time to cover, to protect you from patrols. If enemy spotted, then go and plan your ambush!
If not on a timer, overwatch. No reason not to.

If not on concealement with a phantom ranger.
Move the ranger like said above. If he spot an enemy, try to bring your closest soldier to one tile away from enemy line of sight. Use the crosshair indicator for help.
If you done this move and not activated the pod, good. Position the rest of your squad exactly one tile behind that first soldier, just to assure you won't activate anything. Overwatch all.
If a sharpshooter with squad overwatch is present, don't move him. Just overwatch.
Bask on your victory.
If you did not activated the pod, either because they moved away or stood still and you are on the clock, do not overwatch, instead move your first soldier to cover where you know you will activate the pod and have a fair fight for once.

If you don't have a phantom ranger, stick to blue moves only, ignoring cover until you find an enemy, placing everyone in a line behind the first soldier to move is the safest imo.

If everyone made their blue move without attracting Aliens, you are safe for the turn. No need for cover, só focus on distance to deal with timers. A concealed ranger allows you to move even further. That's how you cover great distances while safe.

That's it for now.
I know, I am great, please be excited.

AHA-Lambda

K, just checking is the Advent Tower Mission the point of no return?
Just want to make sure cos I've got the big bad doomsday clock ticking down now :/

Urthor

So is it true if any mod is uninstalled it makes your saves un-usable? Or is that just Hidden Potential.

I thought this game was supposed to be mod compatible, that's a pretty poor state of affairs if it's really the case.

So is it true if any mod is uninstalled it makes your saves un-usable? Or is that just Hidden Potential.

I thought this game was supposed to be mod compatible, that's a pretty poor state of affairs if it's really the case.

Yeah, it's the case with any mod I think. Guessing it's Firaxis covering their asses in the event of game progression getting fucked up. But locking your save for removing any minor mod is too extreme.

Falk

that puzzling face
Mods need to be divided into cosmetic and mechanic mods. Let modders set which one they are, with the former not breaking save compatibility, and the latter breaking save compatibility (for obvious reasons) with the caveat that the former isn't 100% guaranteed to work, since, you know, modding wild west and all.

That'd probably help out with people tinkering around with UI mods, etc.

On the flipside, expecting to be able to load your save after installing (or, worse, removing) e.g. weapon mods, class mods, etc is a really tall order.

mbpm1

I mean just on paper I can't see how you would reload a save that say, added a new class to the game and expect to be able to really play with a class-shaped hole in the games save data.

Bombless

This is the exact bug I had.

Are unconscious units supposed to get back up later? Because neither the ADVENT nor my soldier (knocked unconscious shortly after) ever got up again; though at least the soldier survived the mission.

Unconscious can't be recovered from by itself. You need to use a medkit to wake your soldier up.

Also today for the very first time I had a soldier bleeding out. He got down to 1 health and fell. All the other deaths were with hits way beyond their hps.

I mean just on paper I can't see how you would reload a save that say, added a new class to the game and expect to be able to really play with a class-shaped hole in the games save data.

On the other hand, not being to load a save after uninstalling a mod that adjusts camera rotation makes no sense.

mbpm1

On the other hand, not being to load a save after uninstalling a mod that adjusts camera rotation makes no sense.

Idk, I think it's a question of scale. I'm no programmer, but it seems like it could just be a smaller version of the missing class problem.

CameraSetting = Fucked > GameStart = Potentially Fucked for whatever failure conditions the devs put into the game

I imagine this would also depend on how the modders themselves coded the thing though.

Also wat, the camera rotation mod is gone?

Some quick tips for begginers. They only maybe will get you killed.

First of all, your first move is a blue move and your second an orange one. There is no reason to dash (other than baiting enemy overwatch), so there is no reason to not do a blue move, tab to the next soldier, do his blue move and so on.

How do I move:
If on concealement
your blue move is the furthest you can go, ignore cover.
If on a timer and no enemy spotted, move again, this time to cover, to protect you from patrols. If enemy spotted, then go and plan your ambush!
If not on a timer, overwatch. No reason not to.

In EU, if you dashed you had a reduced chance to be hit by overwatch. Also, dashing can get you slightly further because you are taking the shortest path possible. So there actually are reasons to use dash instead of moving twice. There might be a few others that I can't think of atm.

As far as concealment goes, you don't want to ignore cover... at least not always, even when moving your first move. That is a bit reckless because you might need to use your second move because you triggered a pod unexpectedly or have a really good action set up. Plus there is almost always some cover around, so utilize it unless you have a really good reason to not.

If not on concealement with a phantom ranger.
Move the ranger like said above. If he spot an enemy, try to bring your closest soldier to one tile away from enemy line of sight. Use the crosshair indicator for help.
If you done this move and not activated the pod, good. Position the rest of your squad exactly one tile behind that first soldier, just to assure you won't activate anything. Overwatch all.
If a sharpshooter with squad overwatch is present, don't move him. Just overwatch.
Bask on your victory.
If you did not activated the pod, either because they moved away or stood still and you are on the clock, do not overwatch, instead move your first soldier to cover where you know you will activate the pod and have a fair fight for once.

If you don't have a phantom ranger, stick to blue moves only, ignoring cover until you find an enemy, placing everyone in a line behind the first soldier to move is the safest imo.

If everyone made their blue move without attracting Aliens, you are safe for the turn. No need for cover, só focus on distance to deal with timers. A concealed ranger allows you to move even further. That's how you cover great distances while safe.

That's it for now.
I know, I am great, please be excited.

I hope you are aware that if an alien flanks your guy while they are in concealment, they can shoot immediately and kill your troops.

Of course it is mod compatible. But once you mod the game you can't just expect it to always work once you remove that mod and try to play the same saved game...

Admodieus

Just had my best mission ever taking out an alien facility in October. Mind controlled an Andromedon to start off the ambush, then later on my vortex somehow mind controlled a Gatekeeper as well. Was fighting a Sectopod using those two as the front line :)

Recorded for posterity

Top Bottom