• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Tacitus_

oh fuck I forgot the exo suits had the heavy weapons...i love those

are there no plasma...err grenade launcher. I mean, I have plasma grenades, but a tier 3 grenade launcher, looks wise?

If you research WAR suit weapons, there is a plasma launcher. Shoots a couple tile wide beam of plasma for maybe 10+ tiles. I'm not entirely sure how useful it is, but it is cooool.

mbpm1

We need a mod thread.

What is good.
What is garbage.
What breaks the game.

etc...

I can see the mods rapidly becoming a mess when it comes to curation. It seems as though the workshop doesn't group common things together such as; classes, customization options, etc...

When's Big Head mod

If you research WAR suit weapons, there is a plasma launcher. Shoots a couple tile wide beam of plasma for maybe 10+ tiles. I'm not entirely sure how useful it is, but it is cooool.

Seems like a weapon version of the Null Lance the Operative has

Guys, I destroyed the first X-Com reboot and never found it a challenge even on the harder difficulties but I am getting wrecked here. I need tips.

I'm playing on normal and lose 2 guys every mission. I built the Guerilla Training things first because, well, more soldier per deployment sounded OP. But I just keep losing my senior crew and haven't been able to unlock a single upgrade on that wasted development due to not having anyone promoted.

What are you losing to/from?

Lanrutcon

Aliens forced my ship to the ground, so I proceeded to flawlessly defend it.

Not so easy when you're the sad bastards who have to chase me around, is it?

I wish the defense missions in this game were like the UFO one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck this mission was hard. the very last move, I hit one of those flying guys twice but it doesnt die, it gets the frenzy buff twice because of it, the turn ends, he goes straight for my range thats in cover next to him (the one that failed to kill it because it was a graze), but as he does the camera goes slow-mo because my one and only overwatch (that stormshadow looking ranger, as usual the MVP lol) pulls off the kill shot. Looked awesome as he was lunging spear ready at the other guy before eating hot plasma shotgun.

I actually did one of these in real life

cjr8x.gif

this motherfucking game man

I am about to give up on legendary. Even the first mission is tough as balls...

I think if I could get to GTS reasonably well... with a sergeant... and get 5 man squad I could prevail. 4 man squad really sucks... and I don't think I want to mod the ini file to start with 5...

My last run ended up getting to mission 2 in decent shape, I take out a pod, but the a sectoid pod comes, and I am fighting them and reinforcements called in right next to me, mind controlled character, fall back, everyone dies in full cover anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can I delay the Avatar project forever (keep doing related missions)? Or there are limited chances to do so?

I set it back to half and hasnt raised in ages. Im pretty sure you can stall it forever

did someone with wonky performance tried this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629 ?

i'm at work, i'll give it a shot tonight

The last time I tried these performance ini changes (and some more than listed) the game ran better ..
but I after a while I had mission, that crashed everytime when I started it. Only worked again, when I restored the old ini.

Chrysalid teleported across the map and hit two units at once avoiding a squad of overwatch. God damn that's infuriating

It probably rolled lightning reflexes in the Chryssalid training chamber.

Can I delay the Avatar project forever (keep doing related missions)? Or there are limited chances to do so?

By the time you've exhausted story missions/advent facilities, the avatar project is basically a non-factor. Assuming you don't let them get too many "Major Breakthrough" Dark Events.

Tacitus_

Seems like a weapon version of the Null Lance the Operative has

Pretty much. I tried it in one mission and it was cool, but I'm not sure how useful. You don't (or I don't) tend to get situations where you can get that many enemies under the beam. Could be a nice oh-shit button for multiple pods I suppose.

whats everyones avatar proj strat? Do you wait for it to fill up or try to pre empt it?

In the beginning I milk the timer, and later on it doesn't really matter anymore. You get so many story missions that reduce the timer, that you don'T really have to attack the red bases anymore.

BeesEight

By the time you've exhausted story missions/advent facilities, the avatar project is basically a non-factor. Assuming you don't let them get too many "Major Breakthrough" Dark Events.

Yeah, my first stab at Commander I thought this project countdown was going to be a real issue for the entire game.

Turns out I was just super unlucky that game. I don't think it ever got above five pips in my second run and that was including a final two week push to finish off all the research I had available to see what goodies they unlocked.

Question for those who have finished the game. I heard that the final mission is bullshit levels of hard and most people that beat it brought along a Psi Op with Stasis and Mind Control. I am nearing end-game
(Completed the Avatar research and got the last mission from the counci guy before the aliens murdered him)
and I have only just built a Psi Lab. I am assuming that I am a couple of missions away from the end, so I was wondering if I should wait till I max my Psi Op's level or just screw it and play the final mission without a Psi Op

I didn't have Stasis in the final mission but I did have a Psi Op with Solace which seems far more useful (also had Domination but I just use that for giggles). You don't need a Psi Op for [reasons redacted] but if you want to make things easier on yourself, equip your forces with a bunch of mind shields and you should be good. I found the final mission really easy, to be honest.

That said, Psi Ops are incredible for their unavoidable damage. Shame on you for not getting them.

Corpekata

Banned
You can't delay Avatar forever as it will sometimes progress in the middle of the ocean, and that sort of progress can only be reset by the limited story missions.

That being said if you're out of story missions and alien facilities, chances are you're way past ready to end the game anyway.

ISee

After finishing the game on veteran I decided to try out commander on ironman. I made a plan how to techup, what my setup is going to be etc and decided to go as safe as possible on missions.

First mission ran very well, no casualties, no injuries.
Second mission... well it was fine till one stupid advent Officer decided to one hit my ranger (standing behind hard cover). I knew there would be casualties but not that early.

Morokh

Eh, a bit disappointed by the customization options on higher tiers of armor :(

A shame that the Resistance pack only affects the starting armors, was really digging the less strictly military look of those.

Also, yes there are more options than in the first but the selection of face props and hats seems quite limited in the end ....

Mods it will be then !

For people that use the Long war studio mods, are they really fine tuned for the vanilla game, or do they alter the difficulty in one way or another ?
Kind of thinking of restarting and incorporating them right from the start.

Rhaknar

time to finish the game tomorow, got pretty much every upgrade now. even got some of the perks I didnt really want just for completion sake. I have the 2 blacksite missions now
from the shadow chamber
, I assume the end is soon after that?

story wise obviously, since you can artificially extend it (as ive been doing)

Eh, a bit disappointed by the customization options on higher tiers of armor :(

A shame that the Resistance pack only affects the starting armors, was really digging the less strictly military look of those.

Also, yes there are more options than in the first but the selection of face props and hats seems quite limited in the end ....

Mods it will be then !

For people that use the Long war studio mods, are they really fine tuned for the vanilla game, or do they alter the difficulty in one way or another ?
Kind of thinking of restarting and incorporating them right from the start.

Warden armor fucking sucks, both in terms of aesthetics and customization. Thank God for mods that let you replace it visually with kevlar/resistance armor.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
ok as soon as the game started getting easier,(got plasma weapons) suddenly i ran into a bug where the enemies just stand still.......

anyway to counter this? really not feeling to restart (a 2nd time!)

So, I skulljacked a
Codex
and
an Avatar appeared. I was not ready for that. At all. He mind controlled one of my heavy damage dudes and just...teleported and ran out of sight! Out of my weapon range! Here I am, with a mind controlled dude capable of killing my soldiers and I didn't bring any flashbangs or anything that could cancel out the mind control. And Avatar just teleported and ran halfway across the map. Holy fuck. At least I had one mimic beacon to stall things out and get into range to kill the thing.

If I had encountered an enemy pod during that progress I might have wiped my squad.

So, I skulljacked a
Codex
and
an Avatar appeared. I was not ready for that. At all. He mind controlled one of my heavy damage dudes and just...teleported and ran out of sight! Out of my weapon range! Here I am, with a mind controlled dude capable of killing my soldiers and I didn't bring any flashbangs or anything that could cancel out the mind control. And Avatar just ran teleported and ran halfway across the map. Holy fuck. At least I had one mimic beacon to stall things out and get into range to kill the thing.

Yep, I wasn't prepared at all for that. I accidentally activated a sectopod while running to skulljack and then this thing pops out.
Had to use all my meme bacons and flashbangs to get out of it.

Mr Swine

Banned
I cannot complete a level, the Evac zone is on a high ground my group cannot reach.. Need to restart the whole level

Edit: nvm I changed the camera height and didn't realize that it was a above the ground where my men are standing

dumbo

Question for those who have finished the game. I heard that the final mission is bullshit levels of hard and most people that beat it brought along a Psi Op with Stasis and Mind Control. I am nearing end-game
(Completed the Avatar research and got the last mission from the counci guy before the aliens murdered him)
and I have only just built a Psi Lab. I am assuming that I am a couple of missions away from the end, so I was wondering if I should wait till I max my Psi Op's level or just screw it and play the final mission without a Psi Op

Dunno what difficulty, but veteran can be done without a psi-lab although I wouldn't say it's easy. Taking a couple of mimic beacons isn't a bad idea.

I cannot complete a level, the Evac zone is on a high ground my group cannot reach.. Need to restart the whole level

I think if you blow up the evac zone, the game moves it.

Tacitus_

So, I skulljacked a
Codex
and
an Avatar appeared. I was not ready for that. At all. He mind controlled one of my heavy damage dudes and just...teleported and ran out of sight! Out of my weapon range! Here I am, with a mind controlled dude capable of killing my soldiers and I didn't bring any flashbangs or anything that could cancel out the mind control. And Avatar just teleported and ran halfway across the map. Holy fuck. At least I had one mimic beacon to stall things out and get into range to kill the thing.

If I had encountered an enemy pod during that progress I might have wiped my squad.

It's immune to flashbangs anyway (which is bullshit imo).

Lanrutcon

Warden armor fucking sucks, both in terms of aesthetics and customization. Thank God for mods that let you replace it visually with kevlar/resistance armor.

Thanks for the heads up. The mod is godlike.

I want a mod for weapons too. I prefer the ballistic stuff to the plasma.

Nete

XhchEub.png

Lots of submissions since we published the first wave of recruits, so here comes another batch. Including:
Diancecht, ISee, Miletius, Masterkajo, GodVegeta, Falifax, PinkCrayon, Rentahamster, ShaD321, Falk, Krm DeLorean

For those who didn't download yet the Character Pool, here you have the full updated Pool.

Those who already have the GAF-COM Pool loaded, you better use this file with only the new recruits so you don't need to check who is already in and who is not to avoid duplicates.

And those who haven't joined our ranks yet, what the hell are you waiting for? Go and check posts two and three for all the info you need.

About 13 hours into this game and constructing the shadow facility. Already have plasma weapons and exo suits though :D This game is just everything I wanted from xcom 2. Blows EU and EW out of the water

Can't believe 97% hit chance can still miss. It's a measly 3% man

It should happen once every 33 times you get a 97% hit chance. It doesn't mean it would happen but that's how probability works. Given infinite tries that's exactly 1/33 so quite possible. I find it strange in general how people think that if something has a low probability shouldn't happen.

Missing a high percentage shot happens, so that's that. What starts to get annoying is how you have to factor in your % to hit, and then so many enemies have amazing dodge, so it's like playing a slot machine or something to hit. :p Then they can have armor or shields. Maybe in XCOM 3 attacks will be determined by playing Plinko.

TeZkFDy.gif

mbpm1

Can't believe 97% hit chance can still miss. It's a measly 3% man

You could be a filthy save scummer like I was

"Oh that shot missed? I'll just move a soldier somewhere else so the chances reroll after I reload my last turn."

"Oh that hacking chance says 10%? Better experiment with moving random soldiers around and taking actions until I get that sectopod."

Lanrutcon

Missing a high percentage shot happens, so that's that. What starts to get annoying is how you have to factor in your % to hit, and then so many enemies have amazing dodge, so it's like playing a slot machine or something to hit. :p Then they can have armor or shields. Maybe in XCOM 3 attacks will be determined by playing Plinko.

TeZkFDy.gif

I just wish the % hit took into account the size of the target.

Oh look. I'm 4 steps away from something that's literally 4 times as big as an adult human being. You would need to actively try to miss in order to do so. Chance to hit?

65%.

mbpm1

Oh look. I'm 4 steps away from something that's literally 4 times as big as an adult human being. You would need to actively try to miss in order to do so. Chance to hit?

65%.

*Soldier is literally standing right next to someone with 1 hp*

Me: K, so I can finish this guy off and move on to that spot of cover there...

*Soldier clearly deliberately aims off into the distance and away from the enemy and pulls the trigger*

Me:...Are you mind controlled?

It feels like I hit people more in Long war at close range, weird.

Sblargh

Banned
I have no problems with %, but the dodge mechanic pisses me off sometimes. Oh, look, four people hit that viper for a total of 8 damage. % to hit is determined by how you play, but what do you do against dodge other than go *falk face*

SRG01

So, I found a pretty serious game-breaking bug: Crystallid Eggs, once the babies inside hatch, break save games when the eggs are removed after hatching. It was pretty frustrating because it was during a retaliation mission and the game kept breaking in weird ways on that map.

Anyhow, on the plus side, I was working on a eliminate/capture VIP mission last night and stumbled onto a hacking terminal. Nailed the 32% chance of controlling a random enemy... and gave me control of a Sectopod :D I got it to distract the entire map while my Sharpshooter grappled onto a rooftop and hit everyone with Serial :)

I have no problems with %, but the dodge mechanic pisses me off sometimes. Oh, look, four people hit that viper for a total of 8 damage. % to hit is determined by how you play, but what do you do against dodge other than go *falk face*

I wonder why there aren't any skills or upgrades that get around dodge :/

That makes sense but they would need to rework the entire system as every close encounter would be a 100% hit. So yea they kept the design choices they made in past, you either love it or don't, at least they are pretty clear on that. I don't mind the RNG % system tbh, it's far from perfect and sometimes makes no sense but I'm used to it so in a way have accepted to play by those rules and don't expect them to be realistic.

mbpm1

I wonder why there aren't any skills or upgrades that get around dodge :/

Since dodge is what let Jane Kelly (soldier who lived from the first mission) basically infiltrate and singlehandedly blow up multiple facilities in those "blow up the place" missions I technically can't mind too much.

On one of those I got spotted by 2 sectopods, a heavy mec, and two stun lancers closing in. Both stunners ran in and missed. Sectopod went all "Tall mode" activate and missed. Heavy MEC hit and got 3 damage bc of dodge. Other sectopod did hit but the armor and levelling let her survive. She then ran through a wall with the wraith suit, hid behind cover, then walked the 1 move to the objective. Planted the c4, called the skyranger, and grappled straight onto the roof and got extracted like frickin Batman.

40 dodge the best :O

Wraith suit also pretty good

Top Bottom