• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Sullichin

Don't mind it too much. To not have it would make things too easy. What I do have a problem with is certain enemies getting to attack you as soon as they appear, with no reasonable chance for the player to actually prepare (e.g. faceless, chryssalids).

Also, ballistic goggles now available on the workshop.

20FB2CAE902AFCB38F0D98E2DFE7993BD8D642A9

Raised goggles coming soon apparently.

16900193710170920423.png

Are the cigarettes mods too? Now I want to make a Danger 5 squad.

Miker

What's the deal with the resistance warrior pack pre-order bonus? I'm not seeing it mentioned on the Steam page any more, and apparently some mods depend on it? I haven't bought the game yet (playing via family sharing), and I'm curious how future owners will get access to it.

Sciz

Is that the same guy who did the berets? He's good.

Yeah. The headset in the bottom left pic is part of the same pack now too. Guy's a machine.

Oh, a Codex fighting tip. Codexes dislike EMP bombs. How much do they dislike EMP bombs? 12 damage of disliking EMP bombs. Can't split if they don't have any HP left to share.

I feel like a lot of players are going to wind up overlooking the bluescreen gear, since it shows up so much earlier than the point at which robots become widespread. But it's super good, and I don't leave home without it.

Jisgsaw

PSI Troops are so good in this game.
Setting up a Trap and then engaging with the upgraded Void Rift for damage and Mind Control/Panic works like a charm so far. Then the ability to give one of your troops another round, disturb/control the enemy and the possibility to do damage regardless of cover/armor. Crowd Control seems to be very powerful, I love it so far.

edit
Most under fire: The enemy

Wait, how do you upgrade psy abilities?

Anybody know if anybody is working on more face models? I'm quite disappointed by the lack of them. Even if only having the ones from the first game added since I was able to make two soldiers look exactly like 2 of my friends to an uncanny degree in Enemy Unknown and now I can't in 2. :(

mbpm1

Anybody know if anybody is working on more face models? I'm quite disappointed by the lack of them. Even if only having the ones from the first game added since I was able to make two soldiers look exactly like 2 of my friends to an uncanny degree in Enemy Unknown and now I can't in 2. :(

Yeah, the face customization was definitely better in EU

Sober

Yeah, the face customization was definitely better in EU
Maybe it's just me but at lower detail/graphics settings they don't seem as varied as I remember EU's being. At times I wish they just put in a Bethesda-esque face sliders, even if it ends up getting us hilarious and horrific slider monstrosities.

mbpm1

Maybe it's just me but at lower detail/graphics settings they don't seem as varied as I remember EU's being. At times I wish they just put in a Bethesda-esque face sliders, even if it ends up getting us hilarious and horrific slider monstrosities.

Tbh that was my hope

even if you have no ability to make faces someone else will and they'll make magic

Sober

Tbh that was my hope

even if you have no ability to make faces someone else will and they'll make magic
The only downside to full face customization is it probably takes a lot more polys to do, especially for a game where you might not see the faces too often. But still, I wish there was at least like more preset face pieces you could put together.

klaushm

Ah, looks like the aliens are beginning to want it again in my game. Good. Two more blips on the Avatar Doom Tracker right after each other. Up to seven. I'm gonna nuke that back to five shortly. Got Beam weapons for all but sniper rifle and pistols, and those are fun. And I just connected to the next story mission, I think.
"Alien Forge"
. If that doesn't mean at least a Sectopod, I'll be disappointed.

Oh, a Codex fighting tip. Codexes dislike EMP bombs. How much do they dislike EMP bombs? 12 damage of disliking EMP bombs. Can't split if they don't have any HP left to share.

I love cloning codex. More codex, more brains.

You could use flashbang too. It makes enemies disoriented, so they can't use their abilities(teleport, clone, etc), just normal actions.

Sullichin

You could use flashbang too. It makes enemies disoriented, so they can't use their abilities(teleport, clone, etc), just normal actions.

I've been using flashbangs pretty much every mission and it never occurred to me it prevents enemies from using their abilities. Does it stop viper grabs and sectoid mind control/panic too?

Steel

Banned
The only downside to full face customization is it probably takes a lot more polys to do, especially for a game where you might not see the faces too often. But still, I wish there was at least like more preset face pieces you could put together.

Well, there's that, and the automatically created soldiers would turn into monstrosities.

I've been using flashbangs pretty much every mission and it never occurred to me it prevents enemies from using their abilities. Does it stop viper grabs and sectoid mind control/panic too?

Yup. And if you're disoriented you can't use abilities or even grenades either.

Yes. Especially useful if the enemy is out of reach or difficult to hit. And dat AoE.

GOAT grenade.

mbpm1

my soldiers become semi-monstrosities already.

a lot of female soldiers that I've made in the character pool show up in game with all features intact...except they for some reason have Guile hair.

Why do this Firaxis

I already made a Guile character and put him in the pool

What more must I give

klaushm

omg

It works on Codex!?

Flashbangs really are the best.

Well, there's that, and the automatically created soldiers would turn into monstrosities.

Yes. Especially useful if the enemy is out of reach or difficult to hit. And dat AoE.

GOAT grenade.

Yup. That's how I can survive without plasma guns/grenades and psi troops, against the avatar and ****ing hell gatekeeper.

Sullichin

GOAT grenade.

Don't know how I've never noticed that. I've pretty much done it to fuck with their aim and since it seemed to make them do stupid shit.. but I guess that stupid shit is not using their abilities ;)

Good to know.

a lot of female soldiers that I've made in the character pool show up in game with all features intact...except they for some reason have Guile hair.

Why do this Firaxis

What more must I give

I feel like the game chooses this hairstyle on random characters way more often than anything else

mbpm1

Don't know how I've never noticed that. I've pretty much done it to fuck with their aim and since it seemed to make them do stupid shit.. but I guess that stupid shit is not using their abilities ;)

Good to know.

I feel like the game chooses this hairstyle on random characters way more often than anything else

Guile hair must go with everything

Steel

Banned

Why do this Firaxis

What more must I give

Try changing them from the rebel soldier outfit back to kevlar. They'll come in with normal hair.

Can you do anything with codex brains besides story-related plot points? 'Cause I collect one or two every mission it seems and I feel like I should be able to do things with them.

Semi-related, but I feel like the corpses in this game don't seem to be as used/useful. Same for elerium/alloys. In EU and EW, I was consistently debating whether to sell corpses for money depending on what I could use them for. In this the only constraint I've run into is Intel/supplies and every time I go to the Black Market I just sell whatever.

Sulik2

Judging by the mods I guess customizing soldiers is really popular? Its so weird I barely even engage with it. Seems to take way too much time when one stray shot and that soldier is gone. The only thing I do is color code my armor so I can easy tell the class type when I am picking troopers.

Lanrutcon

Judging by the mods I guess customizing soldiers is really popular? Its so weird I barely even engage with it. Seems to take way too much time when one stray shot and that soldier is gone. The only thing I do is color code my armor so I can easy tell the class type when I am picking troopers.

You are doing it wrong.

No. Wait. You are doing it completely wrong.

Make those soldiers your own. Is your sniper hardcore? or does she listen to smooth jazz as she pops heads? Does your grenadier spout one liners as he blows down structures, or does he silently light a cigarette as the place goes up? Half the fun is getting attached.

Steel

Banned

I have a hundred custom soldiers in my character pool. Additionally, I have it so only characters from my character pool are in my game. So, if I lose someone, it's no big deal I've got a replacement in the wings.

It also helps that appearance mods don't break your save games.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm screaming at the screen every time one of them dies.

Sciz

Character pool, man.

I made the Persona 4 Investigation Team and the leads of Fullmetal Alchemist, and I won't stop there...

Customisation gives a lot more weight to an already weighty mechanic. Expanding it with the character pool was a really good addition--though an easier way to share, like a Sims style lobby thing, would be the system at its best.

evangd007

Note that abilities include melee attacks, so a disoriented berserker spends his turn comically running around and a disoriented lancer shoots with his 65 base aim further debuffed by the disorient.

The only things that obsoletes the flashbang is a Psi Op with Void Rift. It's like a reusable flashbang, except you can also panic or mind control instead of disorient.

I have to figure out a facility and research order to net an early Psi Op.

Eyeh4wk

Am I being crazy or some AoE attacks (like flamethrower/Psi lance) have some chance of missing? Even though the aliens get highlighted sometimes they receive no damage.
Quick edit: Also is there something like second wave options after you finish the campaign once?

Top Bottom