• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

mbpm1

Am I being crazy or some AoE attacks (like flamethrower/Psi lance) have some chance of missing? Even though the aliens get highlighted sometimes they receive no damage.

I've seen MEC's use their carpet bombing attack and miss everybody.

It's great

Eyeh4wk

I've seen MEC's use their carpet bombing attack and miss everybody.

It's great

lol, thats not great! The good thing about grenades are how they're guaranteed to hit. I'm not going to risk using Psi lance if I might miss, it's bad enough with the dodge mechanic (looking at you Codex).

ZQQLANDER

Gonna be a great weekend. Finished the tutorial and the first mission.

Little to no technical hiccups and the game looks great even on Medium settings.

More tactical mods coming in.
8678973608D9F0B15C7B4BD25E34E1B09C681D35

Anyone know of an issue with infinite loading? I started a council mission and it wouldn't load. Now when I load the game it just stays at the load screen.

One dude earlier had a crash when starting the game and renaming his My Games/XCOM 2 folder fixed it. Might also work for you.

I think it's related to a cache or save thing, but haven't experienced it myself.

One thing, don't delete the My Games/XCOM 2 folder in case you want to restore anything.

Dalauz

my soldiers become semi-monstrosities already.

a lot of female soldiers that I've made in the character pool show up in game with all features intact...except they for some reason have Guile hair.

Why do this Firaxis

I already made a Guile character and put him in the pool

What more must I give

xcom_screen1.png

Like that?

One dude earlier had a crash when starting the game and renaming his My Games/XCOM 2 folder fixed it. Might also work for you.

I think it's related to a cache or save thing, but haven't experienced it myself.

One thing, don't delete the My Games/XCOM 2 folder in case you want to restore anything.

I am beginning to think that it does have to do with the save. Do you know how to change the directory where it stores this information though? It defaulted to my HDD and I would like to move it to the SSD where the game is actually installed to.

It took me like 5 minutes just to load the geoscape/avenger and it took like 2 minutes just to get to the loading screen for the next mission and another 3-5 to get to the map itself.

Last night everything was running more or less smoothly although I did notice a little bit of delay.

I just took stress damage.
I am beginning to think that it does have to do with the save. Do you know how to change the directory where it stores this information though? It defaulted to my HDD and I would like to move it to the SSD where the game is actually installed to.

It took me like 5 minutes just to load the geoscape/avenger and it took like 2 minutes just to get to the loading screen for the next mission and another 3-5 to get to the map itself.

Last night everything was running more or less smoothly although I did notice a little bit of delay.

Probably some ini thing. The dude that renamed it could still access his saves, oddly enough.

I feel like the game chooses this hairstyle on random characters way more often than anything else
From Reddit:

Part of the preorder bonus was a "soldier from the first war" or something similar. this always puts the last soldier in your barracks at the start of each campaign with enemy unknown Kevlar, different soldier biography, blowout hairstyle, and aviators.
Is there a way to stop this? I hate the Guile hair.

Oh, derp. That's a good explanation.

Even still, his crashing went away anyways which points to something else in the My Games/XCOM 2 folder being the culprit.

It ended up working big time. Thanks for the suggestion. I copied and renamed the folder and just ran xcom. It redownloaded my saves automatically.

I did, however, have to copy/paste my character pool.... not sure how that worked out.

But most importantly the load time... of everything... even just starting the game has immensely increased.

I still am interested in moving the save game location but right now I'm just gonna play.

slash3584

Fuck! this game really does not want me to play it.

Finally enjoying it and played for 3+ hours straight in a new campaign.

Came back after dinner and there are no saved games to load. WTF!

EDIT: thank god for one drive.

Checked my cloud storage and all my saves were in the trash bin with a deleted time of the exact moment I started the game again. Really weird.

void666

Banned
So, avenger defense mission. Sent my girl, shadow behind enemy lines. At least 5 enemies shot her. All missed. She destroyed the alien thing and came back unharmed. I couldn't believe.
Same mission. Sniper, killzone set. Andromedon and archon crossed his sights. Both executed, one shoted, dead. Unbelievable.

It ended up working big time. Thanks for the suggestion. I copied and renamed the folder and just ran xcom. It redownloaded my saves automatically.

I did, however, have to copy/paste my character pool.... not sure how that worked out.

But most importantly the load time... of everything... even just starting the game has immensely increased.

I still am interested in moving the save game location but right now I'm just gonna play.
Interesting. I wonder if everyone having loading problems would benefit from renaming the My Documents/XCOM 2 folder.

If you're willing, is there any file in there that stands out as especially large and/or numerous (old folder vs. new folder)? Might go a way in helping nail down what the heck it is causing the problem.
Can you use the grenade launcher and fire it in the same turn?

Aim and fire it? Yes; that's the whole point of it!

All grenade launchers really do is increase the radius and range of grenade throws.

ISee

Checked my cloud storage and all my saves were in the trash bin with a deleted time of the exact moment I started the game again. Really weird.

Check if all mods are still enabled. Also changing the language settings prevent you from loading a savegame that was created in a different language (just in case you changed something).

Edit:
That edit... :) Enjoy the game :)

I'm snowballing boys, snowballing. Legendary is still tense as always but if you can just get past the beginning things really start to snap into place. Getting the squad size upgrade first and some decent weapon attachments makes all the difference.

LiK

Are you playing on Steel Man?

So, what do you think would be a fair balance for removing enemy dodge with a mod? Removing the aim bonus on veteran and commander? More health? Things do already feel a bit tanky on commander.

Miletius

Operation GOD Hand wiped out 4 out of 5 soldiers. Only the sniper survived emergency evac. Feels bad, the sniper is shaken too.

epmode

Is there a way to stop this? I hate the Guile hair.

You're an awful person.

But yes, you can selectively disable DLC packages in Steam. Right-click the game, go to Properties, then the DLC tab and uncheck the Resistance Warrior Pack.

This will probably remove a few customization options along with the Guile hair and the survivor.

Interesting. I wonder if everyone having loading problems would benefit from renaming the My Documents/XCOM 2 folder.

If you're willing, is there any file in there that stands out as especially large and/or numerous (old folder vs. new folder)? Might go a way in helping nail down what the heck it is causing the problem.

In the logs folder there were 16 backup launch logs...

Now there are none. That seems to be the only real difference between the two folders.

McNum

Is there any penalty for blowing off a Council mission?

"Commander, we'd like you go fight Andromedons and Sectopods to extract a VIP. You'll get a Scientist and a handful of Intel for it!"

I could do that, or I could grab the Supply Drop and get outfitted with all Plasma weapons and go blow up an alien facility, setting the Avatar Project back a tick. And get the Power Armor research done, which is just about to happen. So, any negative consequences of telling the gravely voiced man "Yeah... no."?

In the logs folder there were 16 backup launch logs...

Now there are none. That seems to be the only real difference between the two folders.

Having had no persistent issues, I have four backups and one primary log seemingly from my last session, plus a 97 MB crash log folder presumably due to my one CTD. The differences aren't too odd, I guess.

Thanks for the comparison!

mercviper

The C/I run is going pretty well, but I decided to play it alongside a friend. So, I started a L/I run concurrently. I thought I was doing pretty decent but the last couple missions have been rough to say the least lol.

The dark event that increases recruit costs by 100% is going on now too so it's $80 per recruit right now -_-

Grenades man. Experimental grenades are the shit. Just get some aliens together and start whaling on them with flashbangs and whatever flavour of damaging grenades. Been consistantly having two+ grendeiers on squad because of it.

Acid grenades are a personal favourite. Especially when you hit aliens on top of a building and they start falling through the ceiling.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
wew

final mission spoilers

that final room is kind of ridiculous. i guess they made it so that there's a very real chance of losing some of your squad members at the final hour.

still, i succeeded thanks to an extremely lucky skillful shot from my executioner sniper on a full hp avatar, who sadly gave his life in defence of earth

Erheller

Anyone know what enemies are considered mechanical (as in Bluescreen rounds/EMP grenades work on them)?

Obviously:
MEC's
Andromedon shells
Sectopods

But do these guys count?
Codex
Andromedon (not shell)
Gatekeeper

McNum

Anyone know what enemies are considered mechanical (as in Bluescreen rounds/EMP grenades work on them)?

Obviously:
MEC's
Andromedon shells
Sectopods

But do these guys count?
Codex
Andromedon (not shell)
Gatekeeper
Codex
do. They get one-shotted by EMP Bombs, even.

samn

Final part of the final mission and, unless I'm very mistaken, it's just completely bugged out leaving my game incompleteable.

FFS

Final part of the final mission and, unless I'm very mistaken, it's just completely bugged out leaving my game incompleteable.

FFS

I ran into some bugs as well. I restarted the game and then had little issue afterwards. The bugs were just visual glitches and pretty bad. Likely because of
the amount of enemy spawns.

Erheller

Codex
do. They get one-shotted by EMP Bombs, even.

Thanks. Just tried it on a big pod and looks like EMP's hit all of the following enemies:

MECs
Andromedon Shells
Sectopods
Codexes (Or are they Codices? Firaxis pls)
Gatekeepers

samn

I ran into some bugs as well. I restarted the game and then had little issue afterwards. The bugs were just visual glitches and pretty bad. Likely because of
the amount of enemy spawns.

My issue is I have
2 avatars left to kill but they're not appearing anywhere in this big area. I just killed the first one and now I sent a guy out to sprint to every corner and I can't find anyone else!

Erheller

My issue is I have
2 avatars left to kill but they're not appearing anywhere in this big area. I just killed the first one and now I sent a guy out to sprint to every corner and I can't find anyone else!

How many turns has it been since you've killed the first one? The avatars don't spawn all at once.

Top Bottom