• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
He was tolerable at first, but it's the same shitty jokes with him and Lin all the fucking time that's particularly starting to get on my nerves. They weren't funny the first time, they are NOT funny the 50th time.

Yeah I'm over the food jokes. I mean moments like in an affinity mission that you had to complete before chapter 6
where one BLADE soldier is saying how pretty Elma is and how much he admires her while everyone walks away and Tatsu stays behind, basically says "too bad you're a useless lump" and runs off.

aravuus

No seriously why can't I cook tatsu and take any of his siblings as my nopon follower? Or even his mom?

His mom is awesome. And super tough.

Moms are tough

Yeah I'm over the food jokes. I mean moments like in an affinity mission that you had to complete before chapter 6
where one BLADE soldier is saying how pretty Elma is and how much he admires her while everyone walks away and Tatsu stays behind, basically says "too bad you're a useless lump" and runs off.

He does have his moments, sure.

Nbz

Man, Lin's first affinity mission is GARBAGE.

Collecting all those things is the most tedious, frustrating thing, and because its an affinity mission, I can't move on with other story stuff until its done. So fucking terrible.

Astral Dog

Don't get too excited yet, the license mission is pretty time-demanding.

So far I think I'm enjoying the game less than XC, mainly due to how they've downplayed party dynamics. I felt like in XC each companion had a lot more character to them and I enjoyed almost everyone's company - here it's just you, Elma, Lin and random character needed for the current mission. Oh, and Tatsu is a goddamn disgrace, he's nowhere near Riki. I wish I could disable his dialogue lines.

Exploration feels a lot better though, even if at times it ends up being "Find The Rock You Can Land On Simulator 2015".
once you get the initial Skell it does become a lot easier
Running around the world and discovering new vistas, planting probes and trying to avoid completely overpowered beings is fun.

I'm really bummed they've changed the Vision system from XC into Overdrive, because IMO the new one is needlessly complicated and doesn't work nearly as well. Gone is the feeling of teamwork when executing combos, and "breaking" enemy attacks before these happen (or, alternatively, healing yourself right before a deadly blow) :( Comboing Stagger - Daze - Topple also doesn't feel right in XCX, I mostly forget about which Arts perform which extra actions. Being able to switch between guns and melee is a welcome addition though.

I'm still enjoying the game, but not as much as I hoped. I feel like it shouldn't be called "Xenoblade Chronicles X", but rather something in the lines of "Xenocross" (idk) - it uses a lot of similar concepts and mechanics to Monolith's previous title, but the end product is a very different beast.
True, im not sure how to use this Overdrive thing, but i kinda miss the special team work attacks :( ( and battle cries!)
Also, agree that so far (chapter4) you dont feel the characters are "friends" or companions at all, Elma says something to descrive gameplay systems or some exposition, Lin is just there or being annoying, the more charming character so far is Tatsu o_O
I know it makes some sense because the previous characters knew each other, but it does not help that the MC is an Avatar at all, i hope they change some things next time.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, Lin's first affinity mission is GARBAGE.

Collecting all those things is the most tedious, frustrating thing, and because its an affinity mission, I can't move on with other story stuff until its done. So fucking terrible.

You can buy the things you need from the puges at the terminal in the barracks and the collectible you need in Oblivia is super common at the beginning of the area. Just do other stuff while you wait for the cometites to be mined.

desu

Regarding getting field skill level 5 (which I asked a couple of times here):

Its a quest called Off the record from the mission terminal (which has to be done for each skill and includes fighting some stronger enemies (LV55) and solving some riddles)

aravuus

Any way to force the other party members to use skells while I fight on foot? Other than entering battle in skell then exiting it.

Whizkid7

Thanks, sounds like they would be worth it. Do you happen to know if brainjack, or whatever it was that could make enemies attack each other, is a raygun art? Would love to be able to use that one

Sorry, Brainjack's a Knife art. Shame too, because I don't want to use knives but Brainjack + Servant Sacrifice is an easy way to clear a tough mission.

I'm not sure if I should change divisions or not. I'm the one that collects white whale stuff and plants probes, but... I feel like I'm not getting a lot of great division rewards. Should I be getting offered anything other than the first 5 items over and over?

Dineren

Banned
I'm not sure if I should change divisions or not. I'm the one that collects white whale stuff and plants probes, but... I feel like I'm not getting a lot of great division rewards. Should I be getting offered anything other than the first 5 items over and over?

Is that the reclaimers? That is what I was before and only ever had those 5 options so I just switched to prospectors. I'll find out tonight for sure, but I suspect the rewards offered are based on the rank of the division.

aravuus

press + button and pick board your skells option

Well, seems like an alternate way, but... Stupid. Them running all the way back to their skells is a lot slower than just me hopping off mine at the start of the battle. If I could make them STAY in their skells between battles too it'd be a lot better. Why isn't that an option again, game? Christ

Thanks for the info anyway!

Raide

Don't get too excited yet, the license mission is pretty time-demanding.

Since I grinded a bit, 3 or the 8 were done. :D

The Flea something took ages and I had to check online. The rest was fairly quick since I had scouted a load around the world to make sure fast teleports.

Love the extra mobility of the mech. Plus wrecking stuff by running over it. :D

As a side not, how to I get Skells for the rest of my team?

Squishy3

Since I grinded a bit, 3 or the 8 were done. :D

The Flea something took ages and I had to check online. The rest was fairly quick since I had scouted a load around the world to make sure fast teleports.

Love the extra mobility of the mech. Plus wrecking stuff by running over it. :D

As a side not, how to I get Skells for the rest of my team?
You buy them.

Well, seems like an alternate way, but... Stupid. Them running all the way back to their skells is a lot slower than just me hopping off mine at the start of the battle. If I could make them STAY in their skells between battles too it'd be a lot better. Why isn't that an option again, game? Christ

Thanks for the info anyway!

see this is what I was hoping to do for the most part

Wiseblade

I really hate the assault rifle, but I feel like I'm stuck with it. My melee weapon of choice are Dual Swords, which has a stack of arts that do extra damage from behind. But between the way aggro works and the scale of some monsters, getting behind an opponent isn't always easy.

My solution was simple: toppled enemies can't move, so I'll topple everything and Back Slash them to death. The Assault Rifle has a toppling melee attack, which meshes well with all my melee and position related buffs. But all other Rifle Arts suck and the weapon's auto attack is the worst. It feels like a total waste of a weapon slot. I already have Lin spec'd as a topple machine, but I find her less reliable than Reyn was at the same thing.

Am I asking too much to be able to do it all with no drawbacks? Is the Assault rifle better than I give it credit for? Is there another ranged weapon that does what I want better? Is there something I can do to make the AI more consistently do what I want? Or do I just need to git gud at positioning?

I really hate the assault rifle, but I feel like I'm stuck with it. My melee weapon of choice are Dual Swords, which has a stack of arts that do extra damage from behind. But between the way aggro works and the scale of some monsters, getting behind an opponent isn't always easy.

My solution was simple: toppled enemies can't move, so I'll topple everything and Back Slash them to death. The Assault Rifle has a toppling melee attack, which meshes well with all my melee and position related buffs. But all other Rifle Arts suck and the weapon's auto attack is the worst. It feels like a total waste of a weapon slot. I already have Lin spec'd as a topple machine, but I find her less reliable than Reyn was at the same thing.

Am I asking too much to be able to do it all with no drawbacks? Is the Assault rifle better than I give it credit for? Is there another ranged weapon that does what I want better? Is there something I can do to make the AI more consistently do what I want? Or do I just need to git gud at positioning?

personally I'm gonna be going for psycholaunchers as a dual swords guy, because they have a ranged weapon skill that gives an enemy shock which apparently adds damage to the surge art from Full metal jaguar.

As to your issue I feel it isn't too bad. Most enemies tend to give full attention to Lin, they might turn around every now and then but then I jump behind them.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm sure there's a way of doing this that I haven't figured out, but it would be sweet to see what arts specific skell equipment gives off. I can't really tell until after I equip it. Kind of a pain.

Also where do I get insurance? Or does that automatically happen?

Lastly, if for whatever reason I forget about my Skell somewhere, can I always just get it from the hangar?

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Some of these quests are excellent little short stories. I just finished The Miracle Maker. I feel like you're definitely not getting the full experience unless you're doing all these side story quests.

brinstar

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Tatsu. Riki was the cute mascot character who was secretly a 40 year old father of 11 who had surprisingly insightful things to say at times. Tatsu serves the same mascot character role but instead of moments of insight he has these moments of being a complete asshole for no reason and it makes me laugh everytime.
You're not alone, I like him too. I like that he's a jackass. I wish they wrote some more jokes for him and Lin though. I don't mind the food bit but it's literally all they have.

AdanVC

Wow this thread almost has half a million views. Game hype still going strong that's really nice <3. Hope I can get the game before the end of the month :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You can buy the things you need from the puges at the terminal in the barracks and the collectible you need in Oblivia is super common at the beginning of the area. Just do other stuff while you wait for the cometites to be mined.

I feel like this bit of info needs to be put, and highlighted in the OP - since it comes up about once every day. The game doesn't really spell this out for you at all, unless you go up to the terminal and observe for yourself what you can use reward tickets for.

But yeah, those reward tickets are basically for these fetches.

cyba89

I set my first foot into Sylvalum today. Really jaw-dropping environment once again. And the monster design is still awesome.
It's also the first time where the music really wow-ed me. The music is really good there.

Also did an affinity quest where I had to grind a specific monster for a rare drop again - and that one was only there at night. Those quests are the worst thing in the game. Even worse than the bad NLA music. >.<
I really like the stories those affinity quests tell but these kind of design choices put me off of them.

Clawww

really cracking out now. i just told myself I'd grind one level and I ended up planting like 5 new probes and gaining 3 levels

Neoweee

I set my first foot into Sylvalum today. Really jaw-dropping environment once again. And the monster design is still awesome.
It's also the first time where the music really wow-ed me. The music is really good there.

Also did an affinity quest where I had to grind a specific monster for a rare drop again - and that one was only there at night. Those quests are the worst thing in the game. Even worse than the bad NLA music. >.<

There are so, so, so many things competing for "worst thing in the game". Like every game in the Huge RPG genre, the game is all about whether the great can compensate for the bad.

For me, the unholy intersection of...

- Forced Party Members
- Affinity Requirements
- Terrible Party Swapping mechanics

are the game's central trainwreck.

Is that the reclaimers? That is what I was before and only ever had those 5 options so I just switched to prospectors. I'll find out tonight for sure, but I suspect the rewards offered are based on the rank of the division.

Yep, reclaimers. :( Let me know if you get better rewards please! (maybe send me a PM since I might miss your post lol)

aravuus

There are so, so, so many things competing for "worst thing in the game". Like every game in the Huge RPG genre, the game is all about whether the great can compensate for the bad.

For me, the unholy intersection of...

- Forced Party Members
- Affinity Requirements
- Terrible Party Swapping mechanics

are the game's central trainwreck.

These three are definitely some of the major flaws that are actually legit detrimental to my enjoyment.

Clawww

I don't understand what the reserve party is for. anyone I slot there just disappears? will i have later missions where I can actually keep a reserve or is it intended for multiplayer or something?

aravuus

overdrive spam on foot is much more fun :p

And stronger. Right now, my overdrive spam deals damage dozens of times faster than my skell's arts ever could. We'll see if this changes when I'll finally be able to afford the lvl50 skells.

I don't understand what the reserve party is for. anyone I slot there just disappears? will i have later missions where I can actually keep a reserve or is it intended for multiplayer or something?

It's just for moving people in and out of your party. It's badly named.

Jims

Yep, reclaimers. :( Let me know if you get better rewards please! (maybe send me a PM since I might miss your post lol)

I think the division rank determines how far down the list you can access for the rewards. Prospectors was #1 yesterday and the whole list was highlighted and available. The bottom listed item is a Skell free repair ticket and it was available to me yesterday. I had been taking the Supreme Bonus most days and racking up the free 30,000 credits but will probably start taking in the repair tickets soon, since the Skell is coming.

If you want consistent division spoils, prospectors is probably the way to go for now, but it might change in the future.

Kinsei

Banned
How do I get more survey percentage?

I want to do Chapter 4 but I need 15% and I'm only at 12%...

Complete hexagons on your map. Place probes in the probe sites, beat the tyrant in the wolf spots, find treasure in the sparkle spots, etc.

NeonZ

The reserves seem to be just a menu space. When you place someone there, they go back to their position as npcs somewhere in the world (it'll be marked on the hexagonal grid, when you choose it, saying that the character generally stays there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom