• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

MLUbFXq.jpg

Sölf

Yo, Chapter 6 guys.
Big Dragon thing is big! And finally Skells incoming! <3
I don't even ant to walk through NLA. I know I just get 20 new quests just by walking through it. :(

george_us

There are so, so, so many things competing for "worst thing in the game". Like every game in the Huge RPG genre, the game is all about whether the great can compensate for the bad.

For me, the unholy intersection of...

- Forced Party Members
- Affinity Requirements
- Terrible Party Swapping mechanics

are the game's central trainwreck.
Yeah all of the little annoying things about the game are starting to annoy the shit out of me. If it were just one or two I could definitely power through it but there are just so many terrible QOL decisions that make the game far more of a chore than it should be. It doesn't help that most of the content consists of garbage fetch quests with mostly uninteresting stories tied behind him. The game DOES have an amazing overworld (arguably the best ever) and a fantastic combat system but that's not really enough anymore. I'm probably going to shelve the game once I get my Skell.

Golnei

I wish they wrote some more jokes for him and Lin though. I don't mind the food bit but it's literally all they have.

It's already a little repetitive to have literally every character introduced to him compare him to food, I have no idea what the thought process was behind making it the focus of the vast majority of the dialogue between him and Lin as well. Watching it play out is bad enough, I can't imagine how sick of it the writers would have gotten...

It's just for moving people in and out of your party. It's badly named.

An actual reserve party would have helped so much. It's such a natural addition I was sure I was missing something when characters didn't stay in the 'reserve party' - but no, it's just there to taunt us.

JCH!

Man, this game.

I'm 62 hours in, haven't even started Chapter 5. Haven't even been to the northern continents. I've just been exploring Primordia and Noctilum, taking in the sights, killing shit and getting killed by shit.

Haven't had this much fun with a game in ages. Definite GOTY for me, hands down.

Clawww

It's already a little repetitive to have literally every character introduced to him compare him to food, I have no idea what the thought process was behind making it the focus of the vast majority of the dialogue between him and Lin as well. Watching it play out is bad enough, I can't imagine how sick of it the writers would have gotten...

An actual reserve party would have helped so much. It's such a natural addition I was sure I was missing something when characters didn't stay in the 'reserve party' - but no, it's just there to taunt us.

it's crazy because this game is so huge and there's so much content but shit like this missing, and since the game's been out for half a year I guess any kind of patch probably isn't going down lol

New002

I'm only 3 hours in, but I'm enjoying the game so far. My only issue at the moment is that I find it very difficult to tell when an enemy is hitting me, how they hit me, with what, etc. I hope that makes sense. It feels like hits come out of nowhere so I don't know what steps to take to avoid them. Maybe I just need to spend a fight letting my character auto attack while I just observe the enemy.

Anyone else experience anything similar? I hope over time I will become better at picking out enemy animations, but for now it's my main gripe. Dunno if it's the game, me, or both.

I'm only 3 hours in, but I'm enjoying the game so far. My only issue at the moment is that I find it very difficult to tell when an enemy is hitting me, how they hit me, with what, etc. I hope that makes sense. It feels like hits come out of nowhere so I don't know what steps to take to avoid them. Maybe I just need to spend a fight letting my character auto attack while I just observe the enemy.

Anyone else experience anything similar? I hope over time I will become better at picking out enemy animations, but for now it's my main gripe. Dunno if it's the game, me, or both.

You can't really avoid them. Just try to play like turn based RPG.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

They more or less do come out of nowhere. All that matters is that you're in range of their attack. It's the same for you, if you look at your attack animations. As long as you're in range, the attack will do damage depending on accuracy and evasion stats, rather than the weapon actually visually connecting with the enemy. It's very RPG in that sense, not action.

Chaos17

There are so, so, so many things competing for "worst thing in the game". Like every game in the Huge RPG genre, the game is all about whether the great can compensate for the bad.

- Forced Party Members
- Affinity Requirements

Me for the moment
- it's the text size, lol
- Blade gathering quests, haha
- lack on in game notepad (let me put a node to say that there is a cave over there on the map XD)

I think mmropgs spoiled me too much with quality of life systems ,lol

Haunted

Whenever Tatsu opens his fucking mouth I skip the cutscene. I have no tolerance for badly written, unfunny jokes told by an unlikeable character via embarrassing VA.

nofunallowed.jpg

The reserve party members thing honestly shocked me. That I have to hunt them down in the city one by one every time I want to switch just means that 99% of the time I rock the same party. I'm not sure what the rationale was to make something simple like team composition such a hassle, but it's a sure fire way to make me not change anyone ever except when absolutely required.

Game's awesome, but flawed.

Pls add to OP

The reserve party members thing honestly shocked me. That I have to hunt them down in the city one by one every time I want to switch just means that 99% of the time I rock the same party. I'm not sure what the rationale was to make something simple like team composition such a hassle, but it's a sure fire way to make me not change anyone ever except when absolutely required.

It's there to give you a chance to enjoy more of the NLA music

Neoweee

Yeah all of the little annoying things about the game are starting to annoy the shit out of me. If it were just one or two I could definitely power through it but there are just so many terrible QOL decisions that make the game far more of a chore than it should be. It doesn't help that most of the content consists of garbage fetch quests with mostly uninteresting stories tied behind him. The game DOES have an amazing overworld (arguably the best ever) and a fantastic combat system but that's not really enough anymore. I'm probably going to shelve the game once I get my Skell.

What makes this weird is that it is such a different tradeoff point than we're used to seeing. Core gameplay mechanics wise, it is great, which I don't think can be said about about the last three Huge RPGs (DA:I, Fallout 4, and of course, Witcher 3). The game is so huge and elaborate that no developer could pull it off consistently well, especially not a smaller developer like Monolith.

Two threads over the last few days (XCX vs Fallout 4, and "I want Zelda U to be as big as XCX") had people responding when they are clearly in the honeymoon phase. Game's great, but the game is very, very flawed.

I'm kind of expecting an NX port at launch. There's so much low-hanging fruit to address for what will hopefully be a console that sells more. It would also explain why they haven't addressed this stuff in the 7 months since the JP release.

Easy things to improve for the NX version:
- Text Size
- Text Speed
- Skippable dialogue without skipping the entire spoken scene (like every other damn RPG made in the last 8 years)
- Reserve Members / Swap Interface
- Not having to use Elma and Lin all the damn time (they can still appear in cutscenes like Tatsu!)
- Remove/Reduce Affinity requirements (this was Bebpo's big complaint, but most people aren't at the point where it is a giant fucking wreck. But, oh, you'll know!)
- Revise spawn rates/requirements/appearance on the map for fetch quests
- Sound mixing
- Being able to select vocal/instrumental (I wish...)

Hey everyone, I just got the game at lunch but haven't downloaded the data packs yet. If I start the game before they are installed, and install them after, will it still detect them? Im guessing yes but just want to be sure.

Zomba13

I've seen countless of people ask this which makes me confused, as the game answered those question in the very same chapter as the reveal if I remember right.

Basically, nobody but select few knows. Which is why some NPCs are sad. As for the numbers, who knows. Not touched upon. I just pretend others think it's some general energy supply for New LA.

No.
Everyone knows they are robot copies. Elma says that everyone on the White Whale is a robo copy while the real body is in stasis citing the reason (paraphrasing) "Shit could take a hell of a long time. No one wants to die of old age before we find a new home so we use robot bodies that don't age until we find a home."

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone, I just got the game at lunch but haven't downloaded the data packs yet. If I start the game before they are installed, and install them after, will it still detect them? Im guessing yes but just want to be sure.
It should. They basically count as (free) DLC, which you can obviously install after starting a save.

Chaos17

Yeah, some people testemonied that they were able to play while it was downloading.
I didn't do it myself so I can't confirm this info.

I've spent the last day and a half exploring the world, completing some quests and leveling up some of my party members. It's telling how expansive the world in X is when progressing the story has become an afterthought.
Until today at least.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm only a few hours in but I'm SHOCKED at how well the game runs with these huge environments (feels like a solid 30fps) and still looks so good, I can barely believe it's running on the Wii U. This really feels like a game that would be impossible to run on a PS3/360.

New002

They more or less do come out of nowhere. All that matters is that you're in range of their attack. It's the same for you, if you look at your attack animations. As long as you're in range, the attack will do damage depending on accuracy and evasion stats, rather than the weapon actually visually connecting with the enemy. It's very RPG in that sense, not action.

That's a great way to put it. Makes sense. My brain wants to treat it like Monster Hunter which is throwing me for a bit of a loop I guess!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well, that's it.

This is the first game in my 30 years in the hobby where I actually have to mute the volume entirely to avoid going insane.

Having to walk around NLA with that awful fucking song playing over and over and over drove me over the edge. After spending about 3 hours walking around NLA, it's a god damn mind worm eating away inside my skull.

It's serioulsy some Clockwork Orange type psychological torture.

Give us a goddamn music volume control. I'm begging you Monolith.

Zomba13

The game definitely needs audio options. Every fucking cutscene has dialouge getting overpowered by the music. *really tragic sounding sad song with lyrics really loud* "He..c..n...s...wha....the...."

I need the dialouge boosted or the music lowered. At least there are subtitles.

Yeah, some people testemonied that they were able to play while it was downloading.
I didn't do it myself so I can't confirm this info.

Awesome, thanks guys! Cant wait to finally play this after following it ever since its reveal, haven't played an RPG/JRPG since Baiten Kaitos!

Chaos17

where exactly is elmas first herat to heart? are there any unlock requirements?

I've hard to find heart to heart cutscenes, personally.
The only one I got by chance was Gwin and that a random npc (yellow icon) who unlocked it for me :x

desu

Is there a fast way to boost affinity with a character?

Stupid affinity required to progress in the main story, thats some real bullshit =/.

matmanx1

Anyone using an external HDD with their WiiU and a disc based copy of the game? I just got my copy and am wanting to download the data packs from the eshop but I don't know if I need to start the game up and create a save file or if it is safe to just go ahead and download the data packs and then start the game up with the data packs already there.

Anyone know exactly how this works?

Whizkid7

- Forced Party Members
- Affinity Requirements

Maybe it's just me, but I don't mind being stuck with Elma and Lin 99% of the time since I actually enjoy their characters. The affinity stuff doesn't bother me either since I dig being a sidequest whore. I'll give you the party swapping though; not fun in the slightest to have to hunt down party members in the city every time you want them to join you. Especially if you like to spread the love around and rotate constantly.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't mind being stuck with Elma and Lin 99% of the time since I actually enjoy their characters. The affinity stuff doesn't bother me either since I dig being a sidequest whore. I'll give you the party swapping though; not fun in the slightest to have to hunt down party members in the city every time you want them to join you. Especially if you like to spread the love around and rotate constantly.

Ideally, they'd just have had everyone go hang out in BLADE HQ after they joined you.

Chaos17

Same.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Same.
Ideally, they'd just have had everyone go hang out in BLADE HQ after they joined you.
Agree.

Lenardo

Banned
Finally got a bit of time last night (3ish hrs) and picked up where i left off.

fun game, finally getting a "sync" on the combat and do much better.

the one thing i think my kids have not found is the leveling skill part-will share with them that today after work.

i got my char from level ~5 drifter with all level 1 skills/arts to level 3 in almost everything and i am now a level 5 umm striker, while playing i got an upgraded sword (at level 4) and weapons as drops, so i can kick butt on things my level, i just finished getting back to town with tater, got the quest to kill the level 13 tyrant and something about rabbits, i chose curator as my division.

my daughter had issues with the boss when you find the dead pathfinders-but all her skills were level 1, mine were level 2-3 and did well. scared the crap outta me coming out of that place and going across the bridge were 2 level 42 prone trainer and his pet.....almost ran into him

really like the game so far- gotta recreate my party since i am solo atm.

I roll with Elma and Lin because I know where they are all the time and it's easy to keep their armour up to date. I will probably pick on extra character to be my fourth and use randoms as well.

Your avatar's expression is sooo appropriate it's hilarious.

Mashing

Well, at least they mark their locations on the map. Plus, I got a good memory so I can usually remember where everyone is (I talk to everyone I can to 1) get them in the affinity chart and 2) I know where they are when I need them later). That system could definitely be improved upon.

Neoweee

Unless you use other members, you'll never have enough Affinity to do their Affinity Missions.

From roomate (lvl 40+) : "do normal missions with them, is the quickest way I found. I did 10 normal quests with 3 new character and I already have 2 hearts with them"

Yeah, use parties of other members every once in a while when you have a bunch of Normal/Basic Missions to turn in.

Well, at least they mark their locations on the map. Plus, I got a good memory so I can usually remember where everyone is (I talk to everyone I can to 1) get them in the affinity chart and 2) I know where they are when I need them later). That system could definitely be improved upon.

Just a different color dot on the minimap even, would make a huge difference.

Mashing

Btw, when an art says "improves dmg of melee/range combos" does it mean increased dmg when you activate melee/ranged arts back to back?

Not sure what the game considers combos

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Btw, when an art says "improves dmg of melee/range combos" does it mean increased dmg when you activate melee/ranged arts back to back?

Not sure what the game considers combos

For example: using a melee attack before a certain ranged assault rifle art ups the damage done, that's a melee combo.

george_us

What makes this weird is that it is such a different tradeoff point than we're used to seeing. Core gameplay mechanics wise, it is great, which I don't think can be said about about the last three Huge RPGs (DA:I, Fallout 4, and of course, Witcher 3). The game is so huge and elaborate that no developer could pull it off consistently well, especially not a smaller developer like Monolith.

Two threads over the last few days (XCX vs Fallout 4, and "I want Zelda U to be as big as XCX") had people responding when they are clearly in the honeymoon phase. Game's great, but the game is very, very flawed.

I'm kind of expecting an NX port at launch. There's so much low-hanging fruit to address for what will hopefully be a console that sells more. It would also explain why they haven't addressed this stuff in the 7 months since the JP release.

Easy things to improve for the NX version:
- Text Size
- Text Speed
- Skippable dialogue without skipping the entire spoken scene (like every other damn RPG made in the last 8 years)
- Reserve Members / Swap Interface
- Not having to use Elma and Lin all the damn time (they can still appear in cutscenes like Tatsu!)
- Remove/Reduce Affinity requirements (this was Bebpo's big complaint, but most people aren't at the point where it is a giant fucking wreck. But, oh, you'll know!)
- Revise spawn rates/requirements/appearance on the map for fetch quests
- Sound mixing
- Being able to select vocal/instrumental (I wish...)
Yeah I'm definitely used to most RPGs having garbage core mechanics but decent QOL features. Hell even most MMOs have this stuff sorted out.

One thing that would make the game FAR more tolerable to me is if each Hex segment had a list of all materials/enemies that can be found in that area once discovered. I'm shocked the game doesn't have anything like this considering it would go perfectly with the theme of exploration.

nubbe

Xenoblade do many thing better than XCX, which is a bit surprising
Usually a studio make mechanics better over generations, but this one has gone backwards

Ulysses 31

Usually a studio make mechanics better over generations, but this one has gone backwards

What are those many things?

All I can think of is better tutorials and perhaps story pacing.

Yeah I'm definitely used to most RPGs having garbage core mechanics but decent QOL features. Hell even most MMOs have this stuff sorted out.

I don't think it's that surprising honestly, it's their first HD game, but most importantly, their first open world game. They're experimenting with the open world mechanics, and as a whole it's a rather impressive effort, but there are chinks and oversights which they didn't consider, that other developers with open world/MMO experience know about. They missed on some of those. They also tried to balance the open world with story progression, along with stuffing considerable amounts of story into sidequests. I think overall, all things considered they did a pretty respectable job, let's just hope they learn from these small issues (maybe we should write them mails with all our support, positives and negatives?), and their next game is completely on fleek, whether linearly structured or open world.

In terms of actual game mechanics, I think they improved almost everything from Xenoblade, they added so many convenient touches to exploration, tons of further depth to battle, tons of customizability in the game itself (not the character creator though... lol). The only issues I can really think of are ones that stem from structure and the consequences of going with an open world approach as opposed to linear, such as pacing, locking into quest lines and quest management (which is still tons better than XenoWii), and party management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom