• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yes.

Most of the Affinity Missions without party member requirements and a max size of 3 are DLC character unlock missions.

The Mad Monk and Hope ones are traps. Don't do them too early.
How are they traps?
Anyone else try to play a ranged only character?
If you want to do this get tp on art use and grab the two cool down skills from both of enforcers mastered class

So I'm only 6 hours into the main story and just randomly running around and scouting out new locations to plane probes. I'm really enjoying this game more than I thought I would. However, I've a question regarding online offerings.

I've been ignoring the online functionality of the game, but for those of you who have tried it, how is the online?

If I have a friend on the Nintendo Network, could I team up with him and he can take up one character slot in my party? Could a friend participate in certain missions? If so, which kinds of missions? Do we share experience, do we both level up, etc?

What are your thoughts about the online portion of this game?

aravuus

Is there any reason to get light or medium skells for my party members other than they're cheaper than heavy? Elma and L with light skells are constantly running out of fuel.

e: Lin's been fine with Amdusias, maybe I'll just get two more of those

What happens if you do a DLC character affinity quest without the DLC? I assume you need to pay for the DLC? Is it out?

And what do you mean by traps? Will I be stuck in the mission with no way out? When should I do these two missions?

The DLC is already in the game, wouldn't even have the quests if you didn't have the DLC.

And yeah, I would imagine that's what they meant. Mad monk quest at least takes you through a cave with very high level enemies that I found super hard to avoid. Was a pain in the ass even on level 40.

Vhalyar

I bought the game this morning, finished the download an hour ago... And now it says 1 to 4 hours to install it? What the hell?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there any reason to get light or medium skells for my party members other than they're cheaper than heavy? Elma and L with light skells are constantly running out of fuel.

The DLC is already in the game, wouldn't even have the quests if you didn't have the DLC.

And yeah, I would imagine that's what they meant. Mad monk quest at least takes you through a cave with very high level enemies that I found super hard to avoid. Was a pain in the ass even on level 40.
Oh, you can sneak around them. Or force resets if you have to I went there to fill out my map before I did that quest xD

so I just beat chapter 3 and now i dont know what in the world just happened or what to do or oh my god

anyway, it shows that i have a couple other party members aside from elma and the other girl, where do I find them to add them to my team? I added elma and the other girl by talking to them in the base and it gave me the option, do I always have to do that to add people, literally go and find them?

The honeymoon period talk certainly rings true to me too. The game has a lot of really cool things, but at first you're just in awe of some of them, but eventually the annoying things really start to wear you down.

Still overall enjoying the game a lot though.

where exactly is elmas first herat to heart? are there any unlock requirements?
That seems to be another silly thing. The heart to heart is in the industrial district if I remember correctly, but to unlock it (for it to appear on the map at all) you need to find an NPC with a yellow dialogue box. Can't remember at all where the NPC in question was, sorry.

It's not just for that either, but for at least some others of the heart to hearts too. Really annoying. Some you may find when you're walking around but if you don't happen to walk through every inch of the city every now and then it can be pretty hard to find them all.

Neoweee

What happens if you do a DLC character affinity quest without the DLC? I assume you need to pay for the DLC? Is it out?

And what do you mean by traps? Will I be stuck in the mission with no way out? When should I do these two missions?

The DLC is all in the Western release. You don't need to buy anything.

Once you start an Affinity Mission, you can't quite them or accept other Affinity or Story Missions. Those are harder than their level would indicate.

Both are way the fuck out of the way and require dodging lots and lots of higher level enemies. Possible, but a giant fucking pain.

aravuus

Thank god I went in with low expectations, the honeymoon phase never really happened with me. I was never blind of the game's flaws etc, so while it has so much dumb stuff going on, I'm still loving it as much as I did at the beginning

Oh, you can sneak around them. Or force resets if you have to I went there to fill out my map before I did that quest xD

Well yeah, that's what I did. But it was hard, easily hardest sneaking part I've come across, had to use Elma's shadow-something to get through without aggroing them. Wouldn't be surprised if the cave soured some people on the game.

Not being able to cancel affinity missions is absolutely stupid. "Save before every affinity quest" is good advice, just wish the game had multiple save slots like literally every other non-handheld JRPG ever. I can't even check when I've last saved?! Like what the fuck were they thinking

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well I bought it, can't wait to jump in but fucking boo at the WiiU download speeds.

?? US? I downloaded this at 2-3MBps... saturating my line is like 3-4MBps. It didn't really download terribly slow all things considered.

Anyone here pick up the guide and care to speak to how useful it is?

I grabbed it.. usefulness is..... eGuide might be worth $10. Hardcover is NOT worth $35 for the content, though is a REALLY nice book overall.

Best parts of the guide IMHO are:

rough estimate on collectible locations and rarity (collectapedia)
slightly more detailed info on soul challenges, especially rough frequency and priority on specific challenges
details of all content in every hex on the world map
I haven't looked at the walkthrough.. but has a story/main quest walkthrough, AND has affinity quest walkthroughs (all of them)

that's off the top of my head. some things missing (for me)

sample, high quality, or game breaking (though you don't really ever get these in official guides anymore) builds or strategies
any info on gear, collectible/fashion gear, etc

massoluk

Banned
That feeling when you're 2% away from 30% completion in Oblivia to complete a mission, then you painstakingly metal-geared your way to what seemed like the last doable node at without flying mech after like hour, capped that node and the percentage moved up to 29.XX%

Rage.

so I just beat chapter 3 and now i dont know what in the world just happened or what to do or oh my god

anyway, it shows that i have a couple other party members aside from elma and the other girl, where do I find them to add them to my team? I added elma and the other girl by talking to them in the base and it gave me the option, do I always have to do that to add people, literally go and find them?

The other two people you are referring to are Irin and Gwin. When you walk out of the Barrack, if you make an immediate left turn and go straight for a few steps you'll see Irin in a group of of people with a conversation icon over her head. Just talk to her and have her join your team. When you walk out of the Barrack, if you make an immediate right turn and go about twice the distance you went for Irin, you'll see Gwin with two guys or something with a conversation icon too. If you follow these directions, Irin should be to your left as you walk towards her and Gwin should be to your right when you walk towards him.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What were they thinking with the indoor camera making it so the panning speed gets reduced by 95%? It's incredibly annoying, even moreso when you're in a big room with normal camera sensitivity and you go near a wall and suddenly it takes you 3 seconds to turn the camera away from it.

I mean, why would they ever do this in the first place? What were they trying to solve? It makes zero sense.

Is there a camera slider that can alleviate this?

aravuus

That feeling when you're 2% away from 30% completion in Oblivia to complete a mission, then you painstakingly metal-geared your way to what seemed like the last doable node at without flying mech after like hour, capped that node and the percentage moved up to 29.XX%

Rage.

Guess what I got stuck at? 29.97%

In any case, over 30% is possible without a flying skell. Mine's at 36%.

What were they thinking with the indoor camera making it so the panning speed gets reduced by 95%? It's incredibly annoying, even moreso when you're in a big room with normal camera sensitivity and you go near a wall and suddenly it takes you 3 seconds to turn the camera away from it.

I mean, why would they ever do this in the first place? What were they trying to solve? It makes zero sense.

Tried fucking around with the camera settings for a while since I also found it INCREDIBLY annoying, but nothing seemed to fix it.

mindsale

I wish you could equip two ranged weapons. I'd alternate between Sniper and Minigun instead of having a Photon Saber for three moves on a ranged class.

Alrus

I painfully climbed/sneaked all the way to a node in primordia but it requires a mechanical lvl of 5... I' m assuming this a late game thing considering you can't go past 4 with blade lvl ups?

Dineren

Banned

This is really bizarre and makes no sense at all. They would have had to go out of their way to make it a separate speed from the normal camera so I assume they had a reason, but I can't think of anything good that would come of it. The only thing I've been able to do is use the camera reset instead of manually turning the camera. I think it's marginally faster.

NA48

Neo Member
Just got to Noctilium for the first time. Loving every minute of it. I didn't really feel like an explorer in Primordia -- just kind of ran around like I would in the starting zone of an MMO doing quests. Now, there are big, nasty monsters pretty much everywhere, and I have to be very careful just walking around.

I couldn't figure out the way forward at one point, and thought it was through a tunnel that turned out to be a monster den. I climbed a tree, jumped to another one, and found the path that way.

So good, man. So good.

x2M5uep.jpg

Seik

Banned
Complete hexagons on your map. Place probes in the probe sites, beat the tyrant in the wolf spots, find treasure in the sparkle spots, etc.

I went to many probe spots where it said that my field level was too low...

I guess I gain field levels by finding yellow dots on my radar, right?

Dineren

Banned
I went to many probe spots where it said that my field level was too low...

I guess I gain field levels by finding yellow dots on my radar, right?

Planting probes uses your mechanical skill which you can raise when your blade level increases. Most of them should be level 1, but there are some that require a higher level.

JulianImp

Anyone here a high rank enforcer/psycorruptor/mastermind? I'm playing as a tank-ish DPS longsword character, but I have three extra art slots after assigning the melee arts I want and the assault rifle arts are practically worthless. So my question is, does the raygun get some good debuff arts I could use with my otherwise mostly melee build?

Again I'm answering something old, but perhaps somebody else might find it useful, so here it goes:

I think I'm a level 3 mastermind, and I've focused on keeping auras up (barrier, phys def up and the party-wide heal that also grants evasion), and then supplementing that with the TP aura that boosts ranged damage, four offensive arts (two that deal a lot more damage if you have an aura on you, the toppling blast and the one that inflicts blind).

Regarding augmentations, I've got a crappy knife which I put Ranged Attack Up Vs into, a TP Up XX, an HP Up XX and a focus on equipment that boosts ranged attack and some potential. I get around 4K HP and almost 9K TP as a result, which helps tank and abuse my two TP arts. Still, I'm considering dropping the damaging TP art for recuperate or something, since it often ends up dealing moderately more damage than the beam I always use, and the TP cost makes it a lot less useful in the long run.

For skills, I immediately maxed aura heal (since 500 extra HP every time you get a buff is a pretty large deal), but I don't even remember what the other three skills were. I used to have the beam damage buff skill until I began using thermal weapons, but I think I might go back to beams for the added 45% damage.

As for my battle plan, I'm always auto-attacking with ranged + two melee, or ranged + art + melee. I then wait for the aura beam to be 3/4s full, drop an aura on myself (often the evasion from the party-wide aura in order to avoid using up a defensive aura on myself), do another melee + ranged AA and then go for the beam (which deals around 1K-2K damage five times, or more if I got to use spec up before that). A ranged AA after the beam my debuff beam fills its secondary cooldown gauge, so I fire it and go back to the start of the cycle. It isn't a flawless plan, but I've noticed that I can last a really long while even after my team has been wiped out with this method, which allows me a chance to bring them back into the fight or finish enemies off if I don't manage to get enough TP to revive them (by the way, how much TP does that cost, anyway?).

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Just got to Noctilium for the first time. Loving every minute of it. I didn't really feel like an explorer in Primordia -- just kind of ran around like I would in the starting zone of an MMO doing quests. Now, there are big, nasty monsters pretty much everywhere, and I have to be very careful just walking around.

I couldn't figure out the way forward at one point, and thought it was through a tunnel that turned out to be a monster den. I climbed a tree, jumped to another one, and found the path that way.

So good, man. So good.

x2M5uep.jpg

I forgot that camera was a thing. How do you activate it? 30-something hours in and I still haven't done that lol...

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
where exactly is elmas first herat to heart? are there any unlock requirements?

Make sure she's not in your party and she'll be standing sort of close to the west gate exit (like when you first enter you go down a slope iirc, she's at the bottom of that). She'll have an icon+her name like other NPC you can talk to. Oh and I think it has to be the afternoon.

I grabbed it.. usefulness is..... eGuide might be worth $10. Hardcover is NOT worth $35 for the content, though is a REALLY nice book overall

Thanks! Reviews are mixed right now on Amazon, (where the guide is $22). Might see if I can get it as a Christmas gift rather than buying it myself.

Dineren

Banned
Anyone have more info on this?

You get reward tickets as part of the multiplayer aspect when you get those squad missions that show up on the bottom right hand side of the screen with different monster types to kill. You get a ticket every time you kill one of those monster types and you get tickets if that entire monster type is cleared by your squad. You can spend those tickets in the barracks at that terminal in the very back that contains the multiplayer stuff. You can get the division rewards from that same terminal.

Hopefully that's clear, if not I'm sure someone will clarify further.

oakenhild

You get reward tickets as part of the multiplayer aspect when you get those squad missions that show up on the bottom right hand side of the screen with different monster types to kill. You get a ticket every time you kill one of those monster types and you get tickets if that entire monster type is cleared by your squad. You can spend those tickets in the barracks at that terminal in the very back that contains the multiplayer stuff. You can get the division rewards from that same terminal.

Hopefully that's clear, if not I'm sure someone will clarify further.

Yup, clear to me. Thanks!

Finished the main story
Wow thats a sequel hook. Aside from that, anyone else feel that everything wraps up too quickly? Most of the questions get answered but it's kinda done in not so satisfactory manner. Either way, I do hope something comes after this because what's left unresolved was probably the most interesting stuff.
Well, time to start working towards 100% completion.

Illucio

Banned
Honey moon phase? Sounds completely accurate for most people right now, I never had one. I've been annoyed and bothered by every single flaw in this game. Hell the flaws are even preventing me from enjoying the good parts of the game as well.

Here's my list of things that suck and some ways they could approve the game with them, somethings I took from what people already said but elaborated on a bit more:

- Forced Party Members (Other possible party members have become under-leveled, not to mention this keeps the gameplay the same with very little options to change it up. Why should I bother putting L on my team? Elma and Lin need to be on my team 24/7 because they're needed for practically every quest ever. Combat is so boring because you simply can't change it up.)
- EXP for members not on your team (Pull a Final Fantasy 13 or Pokemon, keep underplayed characters equally leveled via exp share. If the game is so hell bent on having you keep Elma and Lin as your main team. At least allow my other characters to be properly leveled for when I do actually get to use one of them.)
- Skippable dialogue without skipping the entire spoken scene
- Reserve Members / Swap Interface (There's a stinking slot for it and it's only used when forcibly adding characters to your party during quests, how about actually letting me not be forced to find my party members scattered around the city, or to save a friend's characters I'm paying for a set amount of time in the slot?)
- Not having to use Elma and Lin all the damn time (they can still appear in cutscenes like Tatsu!)
- Reduce Affinity requirements. (Or just remove Affinity in general, or better yet make it more like Persona's Social Link and actually have you talk and bond with your characters without any requirements to do so beforehand.)
- Able to edit Sound/Music via Settings (Obnoxiously loud song being played during a cutscene? How about trying to actually hear a song during a fight but your character's screams are too loud to hear the actual song. Being able to tweak these options would be great.)
- Skells come in too late (By time you have a Skell, about 3/4's of every region you've been at has been discovered. The time wasted traveling the world is huge, about hours worth of time. There can still be a skell's vehicle form available, just keep it in vehicle form only until chapter 6 when you get an actual Skell that does battle.)
- Ditch the License Quests for the Skell in general (IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE. Yeah, why can't it be for game purposes? You make me go through stupid quests that have nothing do with owning a Skell. None of them are fun, meaningful, or have a point, they're just another chore to do. Or at least just offer, you know, an actual exam that teaches you how to use a Skell.)
- Tie Survey Rates to your Division (Actually give them a reason to exist. Do I want to explore unexplored areas and plant drones instead of fighting Tyrants? Give me the damm option, don't force me to do everything, I completely understand now why there was only offered 1 save file in other regions.)
- Better Rewards/Exp for quests (Seriously, there is practically no rewards or exp at all for most quests, why should I bother doing any of them?)
- Lower the HP of most monsters (Almost every monster is a bullet sponge and it's ridiculous. It's okay for some of the larger monsters to be bullet sponge, but for a little monster at my level taking up to 3 minutes just to kill. That's just nonsense.)
- Actually profit for selling items (Almost all the monster drops sell for little then 100 credits, take note that most similar weapons/armor in the store sell for 100 times that. It's not even worth the time to clean out your inventory with all the weapons and armor you picked up.)
- Speed up fights (A lot of RPG games offer this feature, it's no Auto attack button, but I feel like half the time I'm waiting for my skills to charge up so I can do any damage whatsoever. Allow me to press a button to increase the speed of the fight by twice, but able to toggle it on and off in battle.)
- Co-Op Play (The game could at least allowed you to play the game with one other person. The loose online capabilities in this game don't make the game anymore fun, I'd love to actually interact and have fun playing this game with friends.)
- Ability to Buy Probes (There such an important part of the game in order to complete tasks, get the most important resource in the game, and a lot of quests revolve around needs certain ones. To get them now is to hope to get them through RNG, their needs to be a better way to attain these, even offering only lvl 1 probes helps.)
- In Game Character Customization (I would be nice to change my hair style, face, or skin color later in the game. Especially after chapter 5 when you realize it could had been possible while staying true to the world's story.)

This game has so many levels of bullshit and it sucks. I just wish they could had made many of these changes before it's Western release. I'm still debating whether I should just go and trade this game in now (Meijer stores are offering double trade in value, so I'll get my $50 back from buying this game.) There's no way in hell I'll ever replay this game again, if I ever consider picking this game back up again I'm immediately selling it when I'm done with it.

Makonero

Rage.

Did you kill the tyrant near the very first node? That was one of the last things I did. It was sleeping and a total pushover.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I *really* wish that the blue check marks for the party members didn't disappear into gold shields on the mini map.

Yes, for a dedicated second screen almost exclusive to map and world functionality purposes, its a real pile of shit.

Shame as it -could- have been wonderful, but so many of the efficiencies that define its existence are so poorly implemented or even non-existent.

?? US? I downloaded this at 2-3MBps... saturating my line is like 3-4MBps. It didn't really download terribly slow all things considered.

I grabbed it.. usefulness is..... eGuide might be worth $10. Hardcover is NOT worth $35 for the content, though is a REALLY nice book overall.

Best parts of the guide IMHO are:

rough estimate on collectible locations and rarity (collectapedia)
slightly more detailed info on soul challenges, especially rough frequency and priority on specific challenges
details of all content in every hex on the world map
I haven't looked at the walkthrough.. but has a story/main quest walkthrough, AND has affinity quest walkthroughs (all of them)

that's off the top of my head. some things missing (for me)

sample, high quality, or game breaking (though you don't really ever get these in official guides anymore) builds or strategies
any info on gear, collectible/fashion gear, etc

Have you noticed that the guide is sometimes flat out wrong in regards to quest items you need to farm for? I was doing "A day in the Life" yesterday and the guide told me to go to the beach just east of NLA (can't think of the name) to kill a mob for a drop, Duogill or something. Those mobs don't even spawn there. I ended up googling it and found out they're actually in a totally different location north of NLA.

BlackJace

I just started progressing as a partisan eagle, hoping to be an astral crusader.

Sniper rifles are cool and all, but do they get...stronger? Partisan eagles claim their all about range, but I find that my javelin attacks do decidedly more damage.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks! Reviews are mixed right now on Amazon, (where the guide is $22). Might see if I can get it as a Christmas gift rather than buying it myself.

like I said, the eGuide is probably worth $10... there's a bunch of nice info in there.. Only reason to grab the print guide is because you want the quality limited edition etc etc... which I would say is probably worth $20 pretty easy (it is really nice quality)

but if you don't care about having a nice high quality book for a guide, grab the eGuide for $10. a much better value.

Have you noticed that the guide is sometimes flat out wrong in regards to quest items you need to farm for? I was doing "A day in the Life" yesterday and the guide told me to go to the beach just east of NLA (can't think of the name) to kill a mob for a drop, Duogill or something. Those mobs don't even spawn there. I ended up googling it and found out they're actually in a totally different location north of NLA.

no, I haven't used it for any walkthrough stuff.. uggh. I did notice that there were a few editing errors also. grr..

ivysaur12

Banned
Yes, for a dedicated second screen almost exclusive to map and world functionality purposes, its a real pile of shit.

Shame as it -could- have been wonderful, but so many of the efficiencies that define its existence are so poorly implemented or even non-existent.

In general, I have no problems with it. And the blue check marks are a great idea! But the fact that it covers them up with gold shields (instead of also maybe even doing shields AND some sort of mark) is rather ridiculous. Or have the playable characters always in bold red on the map.

Either way, I know where they all are by now, so it's not really a problem. It just would save a minute.

- In Game
Character Customization (I would be nice to change my hair style, face, or skin color later in the game. Especially after chapter 5 when you realize it could had been possible while staying true to the world's story.)

I think most of your points are either non-issues or things that just don't bug me, but
this is doable later in the game.

Dineren

Banned
- In Game Character Customization (I would be nice to change my hair style, face, or skin color later in the game. Especially after chapter 5 when you realize it could had been possible while staying true to the world's story.)

There is a quest after chapter 5 that gives you the ability to change your appearance/gender/voice for free whenever you want. Unless you are talking about more customization options instead of what was originally there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom