• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.
No party swap.
No nice list.
And sucky map. Text, but no icon.

It's a triple whammy of fail.

You can find the normal residence of a char in the affinity chart, if you open a character portrait. Not exactly user-friendly. But to be honest it is only a minor complaint for me, I don't swap characters very often and the map is very useful for most actions. The game has much more greatness than flaws :)

I actually just hit rank 10 on Astral Crusader, and yes, they absolutely get stronger. The auto attacks are still pretty weak for me, but there are some excellent arts. Make sure to use afterburner when you get it (I think it comes from Lao's first affinity quest?), it's ridiculously powerful and super satisfying.

Well thats good to hear, and I guess I need to grind Lao's affinity for that then

Evilkazz

Banned
This kill 2 giants that are fighting eachother is kicking my ass so hard.

First off there's a bunch of birds around witch wide agro radius. And then there's a Tyrant in the same area that you can sometimes agro. And these things are stagger masters. I cant tell you how many moves of mine were interrupted because of their slam move.

I've lost so many skells to the point where my insurance for my main one ran out and I had to pay out of pocket to bring it back.

So, I'm doing the second part of the quest for the mystery man (Professor B) and I'm wondering if there's any difference to the outcome depending on which car you buy. I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere...

Also, really loving the game, it's been a great ride so far and that's after 35 hours and not even being past chapter 6. I was trying to do side missions and level while waiting for my collectors guide to show up from Amazon but they just keep pushing back the shipping date on it. By the time I get it I'm going to be done with most of the game. Anyone else have this issue for does Amazon just hate me?

I don't think anyone expects that.. but the contribution to this thread is essentially "I don't like this game I don't like this game I don't like this game". I mean most people at a certain point stop playing games they don't like.
If you have a problem with his points address them directly. But those complaints I quoted just come off as someone crying about someone daring to criticize their sacred cow in this supposed safe zone. You see this all the time in OTs and it's terrible for discussion.

Firehead

Wow, just figured out how to manually switch targets (R+X/Y) and lock onto appendages (Click in the right stick). I really should've checked out the manual a long time ago.

Cheers for the link in the OT, TheMoon. That thing's incredibly handy.

desu

It's honestly ridiculous that in a game with so many party members, inactive members don't even get a little experience (even the original XC did this). I'm trying to keep most characters leveled up evenly (except for the player character who obviously will be higher leveled), but there are enough characters that I just can't justify leveling all of them.

Imho thats a waste of time until end game. Then you can just grind on some lvl 60+ enemies and your low level party members will possibly get 9999 exp each fight.

Jarmel

Banned
This might be one of the limitations of being open world but I totally got the Skell way too late. I had already explored a good chunk of the first four continents before I got my Skell so it's sorta anti-climatic. The first Skell being awful didn't help things easier.

JulianImp

Just got my smell after 25 hours. How do I switch its color?

Go to the barracks, use the computer in the dining room and select the hangar option, which should've become available now that you've got a skell you can customize. If you happen to not see your skell around when you exit the barracks, it means you might've unregistered it by mistake (like I did, and then I spent the next fifteen minutes running around trying to find it), so you'll have to register it to somebody else and then back to your character (registering it to the MC right away didn't work for some reason).

As for skells in general, I've been doing a lot more exploring and jumping around mountaintops since I got mine. Doing all that on foot sounds like a real chore with the lower movement speed and inability to jump as high as a skell.

Freeman76

If you have a problem with his points address them directly. But those complaints I quoted just come off as someone crying about someone daring to criticize their sacred cow in this supposed safe zone. And you see this all the time in OTs, it's nauseating.

Bullshit! You just wanted to be harsh about it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when people just continuously post negative stuff you have to ask yourself why they even play it or feel the need to let everyone know their feelings on it. You also assume too much, its no 'sacred cow' at all.

Jarmel

Banned
Btw is there any way to refuel faster? Shit is slow as fuck. It's like two to three seconds per gallon which is absurdly slow when tanks are like 12,000 gallons large.

NOTE: Half of the Arms Manufacturers are unlocked from Normal Mission chains. Those should be the ones completed ASAP, IMO.

And where is the thing you need to get for that?

Oh right. You need to speak to the guy in the residential district (meant commercial) who has the broken down car. I think it's behind the coffee shop.

He wants an item called California Sunset which can be found in the cave to the north of NLA. I forget the exact name of the zone, but in front of the cave there's a swamp.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you have a problem with his points address them directly. But those complaints I quoted just come off as someone crying about someone daring to criticize their sacred cow in this supposed safe zone. And you see this all the time in OTs, it's nauseating.

well others have addressed objective issues with his post (character customization, combat, etc)

but most of his post is highly subjective, relatively minor stuff, but he presents it as

This game has so many levels of bullshit and it sucks.... I'm still debating whether I should just go and trade this game in now

again, people can have complaints about games.. this thread is full of them. opinions and all... but yeah, by this point if he hasn't traded it in.... it's his own damn fault :p instead he seems to just want to keep going complaining the whole time. "I hated all 200 hours I put into this piece of shit!"

Chazbc24

Neo Member
can anybody help me with finding the sightseeing spots for FN 106, 225 and one of the two spots in 315 and 221?

thanks guys been having a blast browsing this thread in between fast travel.

Illucio

Banned
I agree with a few of your points (although they don't really impair my ability to enjoy the game) but :

-Monsters aren't bullet sponge, you're doing something wrong. Don't spam your abilities as soon as they're up to take advantage of the secondary CDs (they're a HUGE boost to your dmg), check the combos available to your class, don't fail button prompts. Most monsters, even much higher lvl ones, go down pretty damn fast.

-Co-op play is present, they are online squad missions available at some point, but this game is mainly meant to be played solo and most people seem to not care about doing them right now.

-I've never run into an issue with probes, just make sure to collect treasures while you're out in the world and you'll have plenty. Research probes are rarer but I think it's actually meant to be that way.

-You'll be able to customize and redo your entire characters after chapter 6 iirc.

All things I've already been doing, I reach rank 10 as a Galatic Knight and I know how to time my attacks to make use of the combos ability. Monsters are still bullet-spongy. Which is why I made the complaint in the first place. I let them charge to max to increase that damage even more as well. I know how the combat mechanics work or else I wouldn't be suggesting to decrease it.

I spent most of my time getting probes and recovering artifacts. I've personally haven't had any luck getting probes that werent mining. My mechanic level is level 4 and archeological is 2.

edit:

I wasn't aware that I could change my characters appearance, the game doesn't really do a good job of letting you know this. Thanks for the heads up.

again, people can have complaints about games.. this thread is full of them. opinions and all... but yeah, by this point if he hasn't traded it in.... it's his own damn fault :p instead he seems to just want to keep going complaining the whole time. "I hated all 200 hours I put into this piece of shit!"

I've been giving the game the benefit of the doubt, which is why I'm continuing to play it. But I am poking holes with a lot of things I find are bad. Like my teacher said last night in his class, if someone is spending a lot of time critiquing and pointing out flaws in your work that just means they really care about the piece enough to actually want to try and help improve it.
I am close to my breaking point with this game though, which is why I keep bringing that up. It's incredibly rare for me to drop RPG's like this. I normally play until competition and find things to enjoy throughout my playthough. This game however is making it incredibly hard to do so.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Really liking the game so far. The same complaints most have I am feeling as well.

I have grown to tolerate the NLA music, but I find the music tracks with vocals during cutscenes to be really distracting and poorly mixed. I have resorted to subtitles when I would usually not want those on. The field music I have generally liked though, Primordia has a great sounds and Noctilium and Oblivia have good sounds as well. That's all I've seen so far.

Party management is a disaster. Doing a quest chain to recruit someone and then never being able to find them again is really really annoying. Why can't you call them up from a terminal in the Barracks or something? I like that they are out there in NLA doing their things. It is cool that they all have a place, but for real a place to quickly get to your crew is DESPERATELY needed.

Combat is pretty fun. I am currently a Partisan Eagle and agree with the above poster about Sniper Rifles seeming pretty weak overall. If I stay in this class line, I'll likely end up using a different gun and then probably end up with some really strong ranged damage.

JulianImp

Oh right. You need to speak to the guy in the residential district who has the broken down car. I think it's behind the coffee shop.

He wants an item called California Sunset which can be found in the cave to the north of NLA. I forget the exact name of the zone, but in front of the cave there's a swamp.

I think it's some area whose name starts with "S" and was in the middle-eastern central area of the first area (I think it was silent whatever). There're lots of bugs, several green-bellied spiders (that luckily don't attack you on sight) and a couple red ones that drop from the ceiling of a particular room that appears to be empty.

Wiseblade

Is there a good guide for classes? Im a bit inept at this stuff, i always find these systems bewildering. Im looking to play ranged primarily, im a rank 7 gunner.

Is the idea to level all of them up? Or stick with one?
The best way to think about them is not as classes, but rather weapon sets. I'm guessing you meant the samurai Gunner class, which means you're currently using a long sword and Assault Rifle. The Arts available to you depends on the weapons you have equipped. It doesn't really make a difference in the beginning, but drastically mixes things up one you complete a class path.

Assuming you stick to the Samurai Gunner class and max out the Duelist class, that will allow you to use the Long sword and Assault Rifle with any other class. So you could become a Winged Viper that uses the Dual Swords, but paired with the Assault Rifle instead of the usual Dual Guns (That's what I'm currently doing!). Ultimately, it's possible to pair any melee weapon with any ranged weapon once you master all the classes.

Jarmel

Banned
Combat is pretty fun. I am currently a Partisan Eagle and agree with the above poster about Sniper Rifles seeming pretty weak overall. If I stay in this class line, I'll likely end up using a different gun and then probably end up with some really strong ranged damage.

Ranged weapons altogether in this seem to suck. I'll wait until someone actually crunches the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if melee ended up being vastly better in almost all cases.

jahasaja

After a slow start I start to like this game. However, I dislike the dialogue to the point that I started to skip cutscenes. Does it get better or can I keep on skipping?

Freeman76

The best way to think about them is not as classes, but rather weapon sets. I'm guessing you meant the samurai Gunner class, which means you're currently using a long sword and Assault Rifle. The Arts available to you depends on the weapons you have equipped. It doesn't really make a difference in the beginning, but drastically mixes things up one you complete a class path.

Assuming you stick to the Samurai Gunner class and max out the Duelist class, that will allow you to use the Long sword and Assault Rifle with any other class. So you could become a Winged Viper that uses the Dual Swords, but paired with the Assault Rifle instead of the usual Dual Guns (That's what I'm currently doing!). Ultimately, it's possible to pair any melee weapon with any ranged weapon once you master all the classes.

That makes a lot more sense, thank you!

ohlawd

how do I level up field skills? whatever those are, just buried my first probe nice and deep and this dude Lao popped up saying my mechanical skills need to be up to par

sora87

Oh a 2 star social mission, this should be easy right? Nope, go kill 5 level 21 enemies who are all in a big group. I hate this game's missions so much, like they are beyond bullshit.
Worst thing, I managed to kill 2 of them, died, and the fucking thing reset so now apparently I have killed 0.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
how do I level up field skills? whatever those are, just buried my first probe nice and deep and this dude Lao popped up saying my mechanical skills need to be up to par

Every time you gain a BLADE level you can up one of your skills--mechanical, archaeological, biological--and it gives you access to more treasure spots and probe locations. Each one maxes out at 5.

Btw is there any way to refuel faster? Shit is slow as fuck. It's like two to three seconds per gallon which is absurdly slow when tanks are like 12,000 gallons large.

Apparently you can spend miranium to do it.

Vecks

Every time your Blade level goes up, you go talk to Eleonora next to the Blade mission board.

Wiseblade

You know that terminal where you pick up basic missions? Speak to the NPC Eleonora next to it. She'll upgrade a field skill every time you gain a BLADE level. You can see your BLADE level as the third blue bar at the bottom when you press (+).

JulianImp

Exit the barracks, walk to your left, pass the first console (the one that's used for scout-related stuff) and talk to the woman standing next to the second one. She'll tell you if you've enough division points to go up a level, and will award you a field skill level-up each time. By the way, I think maxing mechanical skills ASAP is the better deal since it's vital for activating some data probes.

One thing I don't get is how I'm supposed to go up to mechanical lv5, since the game hasn't allowed me to level that skill up past level four so far.

keep doing basic missions and shit that levels up your Blade skill. Press start, one of the options is 'Blade level' each time you level up you talk to the lady next to the mission board and she'll give you an option to upgrade one of the three.

This might be one of the limitations of being open world but I totally got the Skell way too late. I had already explored a good chunk of the first four continents before I got my Skell so it's sorta anti-climatic. The first Skell being awful didn't help things easier.

You can get your Skell after 20h or after 80h or 100h, depends if you focus on story missions or side missions.

rhandino

Banned
- Skells come in too late (By time you have a Skell, about 3/4's of every region you've been at has been discovered. The time wasted traveling the world is huge, about hours worth of time. There can still be a skell's vehicle form available, just keep it in vehicle form only until chapter 6 when you get an actual Skell that does battle.
I actually do like that they make you wait for it, I noticed that every single review and impression show how awesome is to finally have a Skell and they get even more glowing when they also get the Fly Pack...

idk, I do think that the wait for them was very intentional and also as a mean to help people to experience the world up-close and then expand their horizons once they obtain them like when you obtain Epona in OoT/MM

Ranged weapons altogether in this seem to suck. I'll wait until someone actually crunches the numbers but I wouldn't be surprised if melee ended up being vastly better in almost all cases.

well in most games like this, don't melee classes generally do more damage because they are at higher risk than ranged classes. I would suspect this is the case here too. Would love some #s but who knows when that'll be

aravuus

After a slow start I start to like this game. However, I dislike the dialogue to the point that I started to skip cutscenes. Does it get better or can I keep on skipping?

I've thought it has been alright from the beginning, but no, doesn't feel like the level of quality drastically rises later on.

Exit the barracks, walk to your left, pass the first console (the one that's used for scout-related stuff) and talk to the woman standing next to the second one. She'll tell you if you've enough division points to go up a level, and will award you a field skill level-up each time. By the way, I think maxing mechanical skills ASAP is the better deal since it's vital for activating some data probes.

One thing I don't get is how I'm supposed to go up to mechanical lv5, since the game hasn't allowed me to level that skill up past level four so far.

There are missions to get each one to 5 after you get to 4. They're late game missions but they should show up after you get to 4, even if you can't complete them right away.

Wiseblade

Yes, mechanical is so much more important than the others it isn't even funny. All are used for opening treasure points, but only mechanical is used for deploying Probes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
as someone who SWAM to Sylvium and ran to Cauldros: HELL NO. It's crazy the game even presents that as a legitimate option in Hope's recruitment mission. To expect that of people would be offensive.

You know there's a
landbridge
right? I did like no swimming. Just go to the northern most point in primordia and keep going north. It's not on the map, but it's there.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and heads-up, Chapter 9 is a sharp difficulty spike. I probably wouldn't attempt it unless your entire team is level 35.

I meant other than that. It takes a huge chunk of miraniun to refill.

I think the game only gives you the option of waiting, refueling with miranium or maybe even paying. Seems like doing the miranium method is only useful once you've had most probes installed and have leveled up most of your AMs.

- Lower the HP of most monsters (Almost every monster is a bullet sponge and it's ridiculous. It's okay for some of the larger monsters to be bullet sponge, but for a little monster at my level taking up to 3 minutes just to kill. That's just nonsense.)

Make sure you level up your arts and your skills, at least to rank 3. Rank 3 is dirt cheap, like 10bp total. Cooldown and damage boosts get significantly better, even with just 2 ranks.

All damage bonuses in this game, from all sources, apparently stack, and you want to take advantage of that. I've seen an attack that normally hits for 250 at lvl 15, end up doing 4000 because...

1. Secondary cooldown was charged
2. The enemy is debuffed
3. Use it on a soul voice request
4. Use it when the mob is toppled.
5. You have a bunch of +ranged/melee attack
6. You have a bunch of +crits
7. Your abilities autocombo.

4000 is 16x stronger then something that does 250. Now you won't always get that type of boost, but you want to be doing stuff that magnifies your attacks 4, 6, 8x. Otherwise yea, you are in for 1-2 minute fights with stuff equal to your level.

aravuus

good lord, lol. alright, thanks

I'll probably keep asking mundane questions, sorry brehs

Only one question allowed every 6 hours

I meant other than that. It takes a huge chunk of miraniun to refill.

Yeah, the price is fucking ridiculous. Combine that with stupid low miranium max limit and if I happen to run out of fuel, it'd take me probably hours to get everyone filled up again.

The AI members seem to use the arts pretty liberally too, wouldn't be surprised if I did have to refuel a lot

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think the game only gives you the option of waiting, refueling with miranium or maybe even paying. Seems like doing the miranium method is only useful once you've had most probes installed and have leveled up most of your AMs.

Is there any point to AMs past level 4 (I think)? It's at the point where they're asking for like 100k or whatever a pop and I'm like, nah dude.

Make sure you level up your arts and your skills, at least to rank 3. Rank 3 is dirt cheap, like 10bp total. Cooldown and damage boosts get significantly better, even with just 2 ranks.

All damage bonuses in this game, from all sources, apparently stack, and you want to take advantage of that. I've seen an attack that normally hits for 250 at lvl 15, end up doing 4000 because...

1. Secondary cooldown was charged
2. The enemy is debuffed
3. Use it on a soul voice request
4. Use it when the mob is toppled.
5. You have a bunch of +ranged/melee attack
6. You have a bunch of +crits
7. Your abilities autocombo.

4000 is 16x stronger then something that does 250. Now you won't always get that type of boost, but you want to be doing stuff that magnifies your attacks 4, 6, 8x. Otherwise yea, you are in for 1-2 minute fights with stuff equal to your level.

Don't forget positional attacks. Ultraslash does like 300 (at rank 3) normally, but from behind it does like 1200, when it's part of a soul voice it does 4k and when they guy is toppled? Oh baby!

JulianImp

good lord, lol. alright, thanks

I'll probably keep asking mundane questions, sorry brehs

The game frankly does an awful job of explaining what each thing does, and there're so many sub-systems it's really easy to forget about them altogether until way later in the game. For example, I ran around NLA trying to find my skell in some hangar until I realized I had unregistered it by mistake, finally realized how TP arts worked after over ten hours of playing, and randomly came across the fashion gear and augmentation submenus when I was trying everything in order to find just where augmentations were supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom