• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
All things I've already been doing, I reach rank 10 as a Galatic Knight and I know how to time my attacks to make use of the combos ability. Monsters are still bullet-spongy. Which is why I made the complaint in the first place. I let them charge to max to increase that damage even more as well. I know how the combat mechanics work or else I wouldn't be suggesting to decrease it.
Well, "bullet sponge" and whatnot are not very good metrics.. I mean most world combats don't tend to last for more than 30-60 seconds.. maybe up to 120 seconds if things get nuts. regardless of how many "bullets" a monster takes, combat is pretty short per encounter already. your suggestion is to make most encounters, what...? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? I am not understanding I guess.

The game frankly does an awful job of explaining what each thing does, and there're so many sub-systems it's really easy to forget about them altogether until way later in the game, just like how I ran around NLA trying to find my skell in some hangar until I realized I had unregistered it by mistake, how I finally realized how TP arts worked after over ten hours of playing, or how I randomly came across the fashion gear and augmentation submenus when I was trying everything in order to find just where augmentations were supposed to be.

I don't think these are easy problems/fixes though. I mean yes there are WAY too few tutorials in the game.. but on the other hand, there are so many systems in the game that having tutorials for all of them would probably equate to HOURS of hand holding, which I also don't think anyone wants.. so yeah they could have definitely had more/better tutorials.. but I do think ultimately we still would have ended up with stuff left to us to find/read/google/etc.

zroid

Banned
When I chose Commando at the start of the game I really didn't know what I was doing, just chose the class that sounded fun.

In hindsight I probably would have picked one of the other classes because none of my arts from Drifter carried over, and also I didn't know Elma was a commando at the time. We basically have all the same arts at this point.

That said, Commandos are a lot of fun, so I was right in that regard.

Ulysses 31

Every time you gain a BLADE level you can up one of your skills--mechanical, archaeological, biological--and it gives you access to more treasure spots and probe locations. Each one maxes out at 5.

Apparently you can spend miranium to do it.

Btw is there any way to refuel faster? Shit is slow as fuck. It's like two to three seconds per gallon which is absurdly slow when tanks are like 12,000 gallons large.

Destroying appendages(from big monsters?) restores several 100s of feul. The NPC Fritz tells you this in Armory Alley.

Is there any point to AMs past level 4 (I think)? It's at the point where they're asking for like 100k or whatever a pop and I'm like, nah dude.

Don't forget positional attacks. Ultraslash does like 300 (at rank 3) normally, but from behind it does like 1200, when it's part of a soul voice it does 4k and when they guy is toppled? Oh baby!

Unless you want their armor/weapon sets with better battle mods/whatever they're called I guess not. From level 4 to 5 it tends to change their gear/weapons from green/blue to yellow.

But at the end of the day if you're solely doing Skells I guess it doesn't matter.

Lvl 1: basic

Lvl 2: medium armor (and weapons)

Lvl 3: heavy armor (and weapons)

Lvl 4: Upgrade gear with better mods/change rarity color

Lvl 5: Upgrade gear with even better mods/change rarity color.

If you're a prospector, curator or outfitter, you can get a full refuel item each day as a division reward. My condolences if you're a mediator though.

Or a Pathfinder. :( I ended up switching to Prospector 50 hours in once I realized that there wasn't anything I could do to make my division spoils not suck. I feel so guilty but I really wanted those nicer items.

Fishious

All things I've already been doing, I reach rank 10 as a Galatic Knight and I know how to time my attacks to make use of the combos ability. Monsters are still bullet-spongy. Which is why I made the complaint in the first place. I let them charge to max to increase that damage even more as well. I know how the combat mechanics work or else I wouldn't be suggesting to decrease it.

Dunno what to tell you about that. I'm a rank 4 Galactic Knight at the moment and I'm shredding stuff. Currently level 20 and ever since about level 16 I've been taking downenemies in level range 25-30 in under a minute. Usually only single enemies when they're that high above, but I've had a few close scrapes when I aggroed 2 and still won. I've been going full melee though. I can't say I've had a non boss battle that's lasted 3 minutes yet. Usually either they die or I do by that time. So I'd suggest taking another look at your equipment/arts/skills/soul voices and make sure everything meshes well.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Unless you want their armor/weapon sets with better battle mods/whatever they're called I guess not. From level 4 to 5 it tends to change their gear/weapons from green/blue to yellow.

But at the end of the day if you're solely doing Skells I guess it doesn't matter.

Oh wow, that I did not know. Totally going to max it out then. As much as I enjoy being Death, Destroyer of Worlds, it kinda makes the game too easy. Besides, what's the point of a longsword/sniper custom combo if I can't use it?

If you are a galactic knight, the aura that grants supercharge when you are hit is pretty crazy. Supercharge doubles your damage, and they have skills that boost melee combos. Melee combos always crit for me, so doing the tp builder art, into the first photon saber art, then the sword flip is a large amounts of crits and pretty much a guaranteed soul voice if you have the consecutive crit one set. It makes fights go by a lot faster even against higher level enemies, especially since they have a skill that makes arts used in melee combos have 50% cd.

Ranged for galactic knight is kind of booty though...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Or a Pathfinder. :( I ended up switching to Prospector 50 hours in once I realized that there wasn't anything I could do to make my division spoils not suck. I feel so guilty but I really wanted those nicer items.

yeah.. in NA, sadly it looks like only Prospectors will ever get the full choice of rewards. wonder if this will ever change.. though based on the nature of the game I doubt it.

I think it's some area whose name starts with "S" and was in the middle-eastern central area of the first area (I think it was silent whatever). There're lots of bugs, several green-bellied spiders (that luckily don't attack you on sight) and a couple red ones that drop from the ceiling of a particular room that appears to be empty.

Yeah, avoid everything. If you wander around you can eventually find the item. I want to say upon entering the cave I went left and around the side. I tried to go back the other day to find the item for my collectopedia but I didn't have any luck. Keep hunting!

Oh wow, that I did not know. Totally going to max it out then. As much as I enjoy being Death, Destroyer of Worlds, it kinda makes the game too easy. Besides, what's the point of a longsword/sniper custom combo if I can't use it?

this is me kind of. I think I might get all of my party level 30 skells, trick them out, but only use them in combat against BIG enemies that require it. Don't wanna have to put all of this effort into ground gear and arts/skills only to then never get out of my skell.

So how do you get one sooner? Story or side quests?

Story. Beat chapter 6 and you get a pop-up telling you that you can do the skell license test. Then you do it, might take you a few hours depending on how much you've explored the main three continents, once you do you get your first skell free but it's a level 20 skell instead of a level 30 one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So how do you get one sooner? Story or side quests?

Gotta finish chapter 6 in story quests and then it opens up. If you're doing sidequests and other stuff along the way a lot of the licence quests will auto-complete. I finished like 4 of the 8 quests or whatever it was just by accepting them.

Squishy3

Gotta finish chapter 6 in story quests and then it opens up. If you're doing sidequests and other stuff along the way a lot of the licence quests will auto-complete. I finished like 4 of the 8 quests or whatever it was just by accepting them.
Yeah, the only item I even needed to collect was the Beagflea Squashes and those are extremely easy to get via the trove cave.

Vena

Galactic Knight when comboing can dispatch a higher level (5+), equal size enemy in a single skill rotation without Soul Voice or secondary cooldowns. This is how I played the early part of the game. It has an incredibly strong combo from just three of its five available beam sword skills and, if you have the TP, Astrolibrium.

tizaffy

Neo Member
Right im stuck on chapter 6. im lvl 28 and there is a lvl 40 tyrant (one of those insect things thast camo into the terrain) and i cant get past him with dying. is this a level check or am i just having no luck with him being there??

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
this is me kind of. I think I might get all of my party level 30 skells, trick them out, but only use them in combat against BIG enemies that require it. Don't wanna have to put all of this effort into ground gear and arts/skills only to then never get out of my skell.

Plus it's not like we'll be able to use the skell for everything. Can we use it to help a guy get a date? Yes, yes we can. Can we use it to sneak into the enemy base to gather intel without getting caught? No, that is a bad idea.

aravuus

So. Anyone found a good way to make money? Actually do something, not idling.

Dying to get those high-level skells yo

DYINGK

Squishy3

Right im stuck on chapter 6. im lvl 28 and there is a lvl 40 tyrant (one of those insect things thast camo into the terrain) and i cant get past him with dying. is this a level check or am i just having no luck with him being there??
I don't think I ever encountered a 40 tyrant in chapter 6, so there has to be another path. Although I had already explored most of Noctilum and had a fast travel point right near the objective.

Raide

To all the players...

The Skell units are 100% worth the hype. Amazing how you go from treading lightly around some monsters to being way taller and braver. Shame it takes so long to get them if you're not rushing.

JulianImp

I don't think these are easy problems/fixes though. I mean yes there are WAY too few tutorials in the game.. but on the other hand, there are so many systems in the game that having tutorials for all of them would probably equate to HOURS of hand holding, which I also don't think anyone wants.. so yeah they could have definitely had more/better tutorials.. but I do think ultimately we still would have ended up with stuff left to us to find/read/google/etc.

Yeah, it's bad... but couldn't they have some training grounds in the BLADE HQ or something and given you some optional training missions for learning the ropes?

For example, if I get a mission that wants me to find a specific item drop, couldn't the game link me to a list of enemies that drop the items, and perhaps a way to mark them in the same way missions put a green marker on top of enemies you have to defeat in order to complete them? Wouldn't it be nice if we could look missions up by selecting a character from the affinity tree, or look a person up by selecting their name rather than having to scroll across the huge structure hoping you find the right Bob?

The biggest issue isn't the lack of QoL features, but rather the fact that you might end up missing out on whole subsystems for pretty much the whole game unless you read about or randomly stumble upon them by pure chance.

Ostinatto

De-Stressing Delicacy quest

"Gather four bunches of yaya sesame in Sylvalum"

any idea of where to find these? the place is huge.

Ravijn

So. Anyone found a good way to make money? Actually do something, not idling.

Dying to get those high-level skells yo

DYINGK

Leave your Wii U on while the game is running. Turn off the auto shutdown. :)

Let the money roll in.

When I chose Commando at the start of the game I really didn't know what I was doing, just chose the class that sounded fun.

In hindsight I probably would have picked one of the other classes because none of my arts from Drifter carried over, and also I didn't know Elma was a commando at the time. We basically have all the same arts at this point.

That said, Commandos are a lot of fun, so I was right in that regard.

Commando is indeed fun, but it took me some time to figure out what this combo-thing was. Once I was like "oh, of course", things started to get interesting. Really fun when for example Lao asks for cover fire and Elma shortly after requests you do some melee damage, so you can string Sliding Slinger and Stream Edge together. :D

Whizkid7

Galactic Knight when comboing can dispatch a higher level (5+), equal size enemy in a single skill rotation without Soul Voice or secondary cooldowns. This is how I played the early part of the game. It has an incredibly strong combo from just three of its five available beam sword skills and, if you have the TP, Astrolibrium.

Good god, I can't wait until I finish Mastermind so I can switch to Galactic Knight. I want to lightsaber it up so bad but I hate those dumb wings they call ranged weapons. Gimme my giant missile silo-looking rayguns instead!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, it's bad... but couldn't they have some training grounds in the BLADE HQ or something and given you some optional training missions for learning the ropes?

For example, if I get a mission that wants me to find a specific item drop, couldn't the game link me to a list of enemies that drop the items, and perhaps a way to mark them in the same way missions put a green marker on top of enemies you have to defeat in order to complete them? Wouldn't it be nice if we could look missions up by selecting a character from the affinity tree, or look a person up by selecting their name rather than having to scroll across the huge structure hoping you find the right Bob?

The biggest issue isn't the lack of QoL features, but rather the fact that you might end up missing out on whole subsystems for pretty much the whole game unless you read about or randomly stumble upon them by pure chance.

The item thing is actually in there if you talk to the quest giver again. They'll tell you what landmark to look around for the item. I'll admit they could make it a bit more obvious though.

De-Stressing Delicacy quest

"Gather four bunches of yaya sesame in Sylvalum"

any idea of where to find these? the place is huge.

Talk to the quest giver again, they'll say where to look.

aravuus

Leave your Wii U on while the game is running. Turn off the auto shutdown. :)

Let the money roll in.

That's what I meant by idling! It's really weird though, it kinda seems to work a bit randomly? One night I just left it on and got a TON of money, other I even left a remote leaning on the right stick of the pad so the game wouldn't go inactive or whatever, and didn't get any money

what the fuck

Squishy3

To all the players...

The Skell units are 100% worth the hype. Amazing how you go from treading lightly around some monsters to being way taller and braver. Shame it takes so long to get them if you're not rushing.
To be fair, there's so many subsystems they really do want you to get used to on-foot combat, especially since your Skell is still ineffective until you completely outfit it with weapons. I'm really looking forward to when I have my party all equipped with Skells.

I'm not that far into the game (completed chapter 4 today and I'm planning to do some non-story quests for now), but can't you perhaps use Shadowrunner (Commando class) to run past this enemy?

JulianImp

Oh, the insect! I went there by mistake as well, but I was often too busy running away from the little flower bugs that the thing didn't get to spawn. You should run away from it, but be careful since the cave you'll be getting into has two lesser versions of it in a very cramped space. The area right after that is a probe, and you've got to go there in order to reach the alien skell the humans are after. I randomly got there before that event happened, so I was luckily able to just fast travel there when the story demanded it.

Ravijn

That's what I meant by idling! It's really weird though, it kinda seems to work a bit randomly? One night I just left it on and got a TON of money, other I even left a remote leaning on the right stick of the pad so the game wouldn't go inactive or whatever, and didn't get any money

what the fuck

My mistake. I read your initial post too quickly. I leave mine on while I'm at work and seem to make a ton each day. I know my ore get's maxed out because I don't have enough storage places yet.

Did you place a lot of research probes?

Raide

To be fair, there's so many subsystems they really do want you to get used to on-foot combat, especially since your Skell is still ineffective until you completely outfit it with weapons. I'm really looking forward to when I have my party all equipped with Skells.

Yeah that makes sense. It feels like the Skell just wraps all the combat up and adds another layer again.

Mupod

30-something hours in and I just noticed the 'skills' option in the menu. Those...would have been nice to have.

I decided to change classes right before a boss fight yesterday.

Bad idea, lol. I had two arts....

Also when is a good time to start participating in Squad global quests. I have no clue where the monsters/collectibles are I need to kill. Just the name from the bottom right.

Raide

30-something hours in and I just noticed the 'skills' option in the menu. Those...would have been nice to have.

Haha yeah. I always forget to level skills and arts. I also forget to hand in my Blade rank and I had 3 ranks waiting lol.

Semajer

Is there a map somewhere that shows the most efficient probe setup to use across the whole map? I've nearly filled everything in, and I want to make the most of it.

aravuus

My mistake. I read your initial post too quickly. I leave mine on while I'm at work and seem to make a ton each day. I know my ore get's maxed out because I don't have enough storage places yet.

Did you place a lot of research probes?

That's all? No taping the sticks or anything, you just leave it where it is? Out of menu too, I assume? Gotta check my Wii U's settings, maybe there's like a energy saving setting that's messing with it.

Well, I've placed all of my research probes which isn't that much since I don't seem to GET the damn things anywhere. Millions of mining probes, tho. Wish you could buy probes somewhere.

massoluk

Banned

I anticipated art and skill from playing original Xenoblade. But this time It's augment for me. It took me 27 level to realize I can actually have more than 3000 max TP by researching and using augment.

Game change on the level of "press button to run in RE4" for me.

Yushi

I forgot to save...

fuck my life *sigh*

only lost my time searching for a good grinding stop and 4 lvls...will take me around an hour to get those back.

The game frankly does an awful job of explaining what each thing does, and there're so many sub-systems it's really easy to forget about them altogether until way later in the game. For example, I ran around NLA trying to find my skell in some hangar until I realized I had unregistered it by mistake, finally realized how TP arts worked after over ten hours of playing, and randomly came across the fashion gear and augmentation submenus when I was trying everything in order to find just where augmentations were supposed to be.

And just where do you augment the slots? Never found it lol

Been playing for over 30 hours smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom