• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

hahahaha yes

I saw one whose head kept following me and i was all "oh cool the living statue"

and BOOM insta-tyrant. I shat my pants.

Hot Fuzz was right. Living statues are evil.

I found a cave with one of those Cthulhu statues, and it was most obviously a high level tyrant as it was surrounded by level 60+ squirrels.

Vecks

This last turret in chapter 4 is pissing me off, positioned in the worse possible place so as a winged viper class with sliding stinger makes it living hell if I fall off, which forces me to either try to jump my way back up the cliff or just try and do alot of chip damage+range attacks which i dont have as many as i thought I did and I always die when its close to being destroyed but then it doesnt cause my teammates also either fell off the cliff or I run out of time.

The few tiems i bother to kill the 2 enemies just to make sure they dont get in the way, which half the time they have somehow without triggering them, I have shitty luck with the quick button press which makes me lose alot of health and die to a otherwise easy enemy usually.

Yeah, sliding stinger is so bad near edges. I've fallen way too many times with that move.

Teknoman

Damn it, Squad mission pops and i'm one level under the required level >_<

But now I understand that for every one squad task completed, one squad mission opens. So a total of 5 can be available at any one time?

El Odio

Banned
It's an npc mechanic standing next to the Skells, almost on the border of the yellow area, not really near the sport stuff. I also got him at night, so he might not be there at day time.
Found 'em. I guess the big issue was that since I was running it was taking longer than normal for them to pop in so I could see them >.>

Evilkazz

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find a video featuring all of the available Skells/Dolls in the game?

I guess these can be considered spoilers to some but I'm interested in getting one of the DLC(that's already in the game in the west) skells but the afinity quests they're tied to take a while and a good amount of effort so I want to prioritize what I go for first.

I've looked around but I cant find any video that features all the skells you can get in the game. Even when I type dolls for Japanese results. Any help would be appreciated.

Finished one mission involving the search for one of the missing
bug-like beings called the Orphe
and...

Literally mfw I reached the end of said mission.

WVW69iprj08uzsDyXf

EDIT: Also ^ during the Water Purification Plant missions.

On a sidenote, I've been dumping my max miranium (Currently at near 25k) on AM R&D from time to time. Need to rework my probes to increase production. I'm not too worried about money at the moment.

The requirement of discovering 15% of the region to get to Story 4 is the most ridiculously idiotic tedious missions I have ever played. Not only is my character not equipped to probe all of the areas as he is at an "insufficent level at times" (of course the game doesn't tell me that before I go to the beam of light), but it is mostly impossible to find where to put the probes in the first place. I can never find the beam of light when I get to the gray square on the map. I've been searching for over an hour but can't find it. Who the fuck designed this game?

VandalD

Or at least whats the difference between a support mission and a normal squad missions?
Support missions became available for me after beating the game. They're a bunch of missions tailored to specific levels that let you focus on getting BP and XP, money, or division points and affinity. It's probably the only way (or at least the easiest way) for your avatar to max out every art and skill in the game, if you're crazy enough to do that.

So, just a question, but with Skells, are there any good ways to ensure that you're going to do more binds? I've got three Skells which is AWESOME right now, but it doesn't feel like there are enough opportunity for Binds, wondering if maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The requirement of discovering 15% of the region to get to Story 4 is the most ridiculously idiotic tedious missions I have ever played. Not only is my character not equipped to probe all of the areas as he is at an "insufficent level at times" (of course the game doesn't tell me that before I go to the beam of light), but it is mostly impossible to find where to put the probes in the first place. I can never find the beam of light when I get to the gray square on the map. I've been searching for over an hour but can't find it. Who the fuck designed this game?

Game is simply encouraging you to explore and more so, if you can't find it, you're not looking in the right place. It could be up high, somewhere lower, or even in a cave. Learn to explore. If you actually did explore amongst doing quests, you'd have more than enough probes.

El Odio

Banned
It's surveying Primordia right? If the probe spot you're looking for is the one just north of NLA you'll never find it because
it's atop the large rock formation that arches over the area.

Tsun

Neo Member
Im sure this has been asked before but whats the fastest way to raise affiinity? Currently in post game and clearing out these affinity quests is really wearing me out.

Teknoman

Support missions became available for me after beating the game. They're a bunch of missions tailored to specific levels that let you focus on getting BP and XP, money, or division points and affinity. It's probably the only way (or at least the easiest way) for your avatar to max out every art and skill in the game, if you're crazy enough to do that.

Ah gotcha. Thought I was missing something. Well im gonna time joining a squad right at some point lol.

Fishious

In addition to what others have said, probes aren't the only way to increase survey rate. Doing whatever the objective is for each hex counts as well. Probes are obvious because the icons always show on the map. Once you've planted a probe, it will reveal the objectives in some of the adjacent hexes. It can be stuff like doing a regular mission, an affinity mission (in both cases you rarely accept those in the actual hex it's present in), opening a specific treasure, or killing a tyrant. I'd suggest taking on a few missions and just generally exploring.

I had no problem. Try to look around. It's not that hard to find the light beams...maybe try another spot. There are some which you can only reach later in the game.

This game is a proof for the modern gamer: rushing through a game with a lot of hand holding is necessary otherwise it's bad designed.
People nowadays would hate Super Metroid if it would be released today.

Neoweee

This is one of the weirder design choices in the game that I actually agree with.

1) It encourages the player to explore and setup waypoints that will be useful in the coming mission, basically gaining a foothold on Mira from which to launch BLADE's expanding campaign.

2) You don't need to play probes. You can also complete the other objectives around the map (via quests, etc.)

Azuran

Banned

Seriously, if you can't find a probe, just move on. There's plenty of others in Primordia that reaching 15% should take little to no effort. You're really not going to enjoy this game if you don't want to explore because this won't be the only time they will ask you to survey an area. I'm going to assume the 30% one in Oblivia will probably be torture for you.

Golnei

This is one of the weirder design choices in the game that I actually agree with.

1) It encourages the player to explore and setup waypoints that will be useful in the coming mission, basically gaining a foothold on Mira from which to launch BLADE's expanding campaign.

2) You don't need to play probes. You can also complete the other objectives around the map (via quests, etc.)

I've come to see it the same way - it's a requirement that's usually organically completed in the course of exploring normally. Like a lot of aspects of the game, it could have been introduced in a more user-friendly manner; but the central design is sound enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just have to wait for white cometite to mine until I can continue the story? :(

As soon as I gained the ability to plant probes I pretty much ignored every other aspect of the game and was just a tourist for the longest time. I ran a marathon up Noctilum from probe point to probe point and scoured every potential probe point in Primordia, then tried to get at least a toe hold on the remaining continents. Even swam up the west coast of Noctilum and found the hidden beach front property: great launching point for my swim to Cauldros. By the time I really started the story, I had so much stuff already done.

Just tried Telethia Plume. Did fairly well for not knowing what to expect -- went in with the intent to bind it as much as I could, and bind it I did! Wondering though, would there be any advantage to going in with a level 50 Skell?

Who designed these boss battles?

This is straight up Deus Ex HR difficulty spikes.

I was like 5 levels above the boss battle for chapter 9, and they kicked my asses with these bullshit 1-shot murder skills.

Even with the difficulty lowered the guy kicked my ass and I only won the fight because the last teammate was able to revive me in time.

But when the skell battle started I wrecked their shit.

Game get your shit together.

Also there was no reason for not letting you use skells in the first battle.

I was flying around Sylvalum just exploring and seeing the sights. There was a massive floating structure in the sky so I decided to get to the top and check it out. Little did I know this thing was a goddamn level 90 something boss that opened fire and destroyed my skell in one hit!!!!!! It quite honestly gave me a scare! The ability to fly is just as amazing as it was to get the skell in the first place. This is truly a remarkable experience.

Who designed these boss battles?

This is straight up Deus Ex HR difficulty spikes.

I was like 5 levels above the boss battle for chapter 9, and they kicked my asses with these bullshit 1-shot murder skills.

Even with the difficulty lowered the guy kicked my ass and I only won the fight because the last teammate was able to revive me in time.

But when the skell battle started I wrecked their shit.

Game get your shit together.

I don't think it's easy to design the level of difficulty for everyone, because I had the exact opposite experience. First part of that battle I demolished, second part I nearly died. Came down to the wire.

I don't think it's easy to design the level of difficulty for everyone, because I had the exact opposite experience. First part of that battle I demolished, second part I nearly died. Came down to the wire.

If they're gonna force you to play one way then don't give you options. I wasn't even able to bring my second tank because story reasons party restricted.

Also don't put two hero/tyrant level baddies in the same fight alongside a bunch of little dudes you also gotta take care of first.

If they're gonna force you to play one way then don't give you options. I wasn't even able to bring my second tank because story reasons party restricted.

Also don't put two hero/tyrant level baddies in the same fight alongside a bunch of little dudes you also gotta take care of first.

I think the beauty of this game is you aren't forced into playing any particular way at all. It's very open ended. Only thing is does is lock out certain characters for story purposes.

Fou-Lu

Have begun chapter 11, will probably power through the main story tomorrow and come back to the game after finals and Christmas.

Just gotten Hope.

Wanted to see if I can pull off a High Entia look since I have the angel wings which looks exactly like Melia's wings on the hair. Sadly no clothing options that come close thats in my inventory.

So I just gave her a swimsuit lol.

ChrisD

So, I just have to wait for white cometite to mine until I can continue the story? :(

I'm in the same freakin' boat.
Was having a lot of fun in my session tonight, but I've had that mission for something like three hours straight now. Have a Mining G2 Probe set up on the proper tile, a Booster Probe G1 set up next to it (not sure if that's actually doing anything, though), and I'm still waiting on RNG to stop screwing me over. It's gone through so, so many cycles and... nada.

Finally got my skell flight pack and while yes it's fucking awesome there's a MASSIVE downside I haven't seen anyone mention:

Once you get the flight pack say bye bye to being able to hop around in your skell.

"But Woof, flying is better than jumping anyways"

Tell that to unnecessary fuel consumption when you just want to hop a little ledge or climb the side of mountain. Not even tapping the trigger works, it insta-goes to flight mode. They should have forced you to hold the trigger for flight or something.

Also hopping away from enemies, and in between enemies to grab items real qukck and hop away before the aggro, is gone now. I did that shit all of the time in my skell.

OmegaDL50

Hmm I wonder if the game has been out long enough (factoring the Japanese release) for someone to discovered the most optimal setup for probe placement and maximum efficiency for chains with a high bonus modifier to get materials quickly and maximize Miranium.

Probably too soon I guess.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hmm I wonder if the game has been out long enough (factoring the Japanese release)

In that someone has discovered the most optimal setup for probe placement and maximum efficiency for chains with a high bonus modifier to get materials quickly and maximize Miranium.

every time I put a storage probe down, I feel lke ive wasted a spot

Hmm I wonder if the game has been out long enough (factoring the Japanese release) for someone to discovered the most optimal setup for probe placement and maximum efficiency for chains with a high bonus modifier to get materials quickly and maximize Miranium.

I thought about this too but quickly realized there is little point. You are handicapped by the few storage probes the game gives you so one you hit that miranium cap per retrieval, any thought outside of place mining probes on high production nodes and research on high revenue nodes seems wasted.

Because gear is sectioned off by level tiers and not crazy expensive outside of skell frames, you should ha e plenty of money rolling in for when you actually need it.

Finally got my skell flight pack and while yes it's fucking awesome there's a MASSIVE downside I haven't seen anyone mention:

Once you get the flight pack say bye bye to being able to hop around in your skell.

"But Woof, flying is better than jumping anyways"

Tell that to unnecessary fuel consumption when you just want to hop a little ledge or climb the side of mountain. Not even tapping the trigger works, it insta-goes to flight mode. They should have forced you to hold the trigger for flight or something.

Also hopping away from enemies, and in between enemies to grab items real qukck and hop away before the aggro, is gone now. I did that shit all of the time in my skell.

Oh crap, really?!

Sölf

Killing higher level mobs with Skells does worrk quite well, thanks for that! At least I finished the base class so far. Did a few more quests and explored more. Still haven't really done anything in Sylvalum and Cauldros, which I will probably do before I start chapter 7. I also have at least 2-3 more affinity quests I can do.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My FrontierNav generates 76k revenue and 39k Miranium. I really had fun experimenting with probes, feels like a small mini-game in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom