• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Holy crap chapter 5 was awesome

I knew they were robots since I got spoiled on that a while back but I didn't know how they were going to reveal it, god my character was amazing leaping in to save tatsu while wearing questionable clothing

I didn't really like how I had to stealth run the ganglion base though. Screw those 2 legged robot things. Level 30 my butt I was only level 22. That class with the lightsaber is so cool. Bad idea starting it in the middle of a story mission though lol.

And oh man, the end of the game is gonna have
aliens from all over the place hanging around new LA isn't it lol, ma non ship has great tunes

MrDaravon

Last couple of days while home sick I finally had the first real time since launch to play the game for more than like an hour or two at a time, think I finally have a pretty good grasp on things. Just running around half fucking around half doing Affinity missions etc, beaten Chapter 4 but haven't started Chapter 5.

Like the game quite a bit, but I'm already incredibly sick of having to turn to the internet to find out where specific items/enemies are because the game doesn't tell you, even if you've found the enemy or item before. Telling me an item is found on a certain continent is not fucking helpful game! Other than that the game is enormous in scale which is great, but feels almost like it was worked on by teams that weren't coordinating at all; I have a hard time articulating it but a lot of things about the game feel somewhat disjointed or mechanical. The game also does an awful job of explaining core concepts/menus/systems, if it even does at all. Inventory management is also a mess, and it feels like many of the menus go one or two layers deeper than they should; I almost dread having to go into my equipment screen to look at or change gear. The characters also lack emotion in cutscenes as compared to the original Xenoblade which is disappointing, and holy fucking shit have they already run the Tatsu food thing into the goddamn ground. I like a lot of the soundtrack but I'm already muting it most of the time when I have to go into NLA because not only are those tracks genuinely awful (which is weird because most of the soundtrack is pretty great including some of the other vocal stuff), but the vocals often totally override any sort of voicing in cutscenes which is something I can't believe wasn't caught or addressed; with the multitude of options the game provides I can't believe they didn't offer sliders for some of this stuff.

I'm having a pretty good time overall at around ~25 hours or so in (my in-game timer is extremely overblown from the game being left on several times for long periods), but so far I feel like the game has lost something as compared to the original when they went for open-ended scale versus the more linear approach of the first game, and there's also several QoL issues the game has that make several things more difficult/annoying than they should be. Still planning on sticking with it and beating the story at the very least but right now I'm not sure I'm going to go for the 100% like I did in Xenoblade. Still have quite a ways to go regardless so we'll see how I wind up feeling 30+ hours from now.

Well, I've really got the hang of it now. The end level Jaguar skills come in handy. I'd recommend going down that road if you want to build exp. I can easily chain long strings with the multiple hit melee arts. Blood sacrifice gives you 1000 TP a pop... And you can throw out three in a row - indefinitely extending your overdrive when you max it out.

Well, with the Ramjet Rifle, I'm able to get an infinite Overdrive. I'm pretty much using Overdrive to abuse the 200% Class EXP boost from chaining yellows. It's really just the fact that, without the Ramjet, I can't build TP fast enough. It also doesn't help that I've relied on Ramjet for too long by now.

Anyways, Blood Sacrifice sounds good, especially since I have 9k HP to spare. I'm also experimenting with some TP gain augments. It works, though it could be better. I just need to adjust my arts to take advantage of extension bonuses or TP gain.

Seiru

Banned
Can somebody explain when I'm supposed to use Skells vs on foot? I just bought my first skell at level 30, and it came with a shoulder weapon that pretty much one-shots everything? Shouldn't I just be using this thing at all times then?

NeonZ

Can somebody explain when I'm supposed to use Skells vs on foot? I just bought my first skell at level 30, and it came with a shoulder weapon that pretty much one-shots everything? Shouldn't I just be using this thing at all times then?

You might have Miranium issues due to fuel cost and there are still some caves and a couple of story battles that will stop you from using Skells. But, yes, generally they're better than on foot characters.

At first it's like that. Later on once your ground gear gets better you'll have a better understanding of when to use one over the other. It can vary from build to build but from what I've seen skells are sturdier and generally better at burst damage while ground gear is better at DPS. It's a sort of balance that'll become more apparent eventually. Or not at all, depends really.

Chapter 10 redux, this time with a level 50 skell:

Get FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED, stupid huge ass robot! Agility tank for life! Now you know why they call me the hero of the homs, god damn it!

Still in favor of napalming Mira. Who says no?

Voliko

I've played about 8 hours so far, and it feels like waaaay too many of the game's mechanics have been left unexplained. I remember Xenoblade had a lot of reading at the beginning about the various systems. I need to sit down and read the manual.

Also, the NLA night theme is horrible. How did this get approved??
sometimes I find myself shouting UHHH, YEEEAH along with it

B_Bech

Well, with the Ramjet Rifle, I'm able to get an infinite Overdrive. I'm pretty much using Overdrive to abuse the 200% Class EXP boost from chaining yellows. It's really just the fact that, without the Ramjet, I can't build TP fast enough. It also doesn't help that I've relied on Ramjet for too long by now.

Anyways, Blood Sacrifice sounds good, especially since I have 9k HP to spare. I'm also experimenting with some TP gain augments. It works, though it could be better. I just need to adjust my arts to take advantage of extension bonuses or TP gain.

I'm definitely going to be employing your method to max out my classes. Ramjet is that quest assault rifle from Alexa's first affinity mission, correct? I believe the end skill for Partisan Eagle boosts TP gain in overdrive by the by. Might help your build.

CPCunha

What is Tatsu good for?

...this game kinda stresses me out, i have a constant feeling that i'm not "playing it right" as in i'm missing some fundamental mechanic and i'm going to pay for it later on...

<=0(

random25

What is Tatsu good for?

...this game kinda stresses me out, i have a constant feeling that i'm not "playing it right" as in i'm missing some fundamental mechanic and i'm going to pay for it later on...

<=0(

He's the leader of Team Tatsu, and just like any leader,
all he does is watch lol.

If you are talking about battle mechanics, just slow down and take in all the information while in a fight. Position, what the arts do, at what effect they are boosted, like positioning or in combos, and the B-prompts for soul voice. It will clivk once you get the hang of it.

What is Tatsu good for?

<=0(

I find it's best to just accept you have no idea what you're doing and enjoy the ride. It's one hell of a ride once you let go.

Ugh, some of these affinity missions. Go kill this thing for an item it can drop, it only seems to spawn 1 at a time, at night, on 3 different parts of the map. Fucking hell.

Haunted

So tell them to get out of their skells when in a fight. You can also start a fight outside of your skell and get in after that, the other members will stay out.
That's a good call.

How do I tell the difference between missions that will only happen once and repeat missions?
The basic missions (dark blue) are the throwaway repeating missions. Normal missions (light blue), affinity and story missions (yellow) are the good ones.

What complicates that simple colour setup is that there are some basic missions that will lead into normal or story missions, they're usually the ones marked "Social" on the board.

What are the last 2 skells you can make actually? I think I saw something about a "police"-something skell in a list somewhere. But no idea if those are any good or worth going for.

I got the Ares currently and it's quite strong but since you can't change equip on it, I'm thinking you can probably make one with changeable equip stronger than that and more useful.

-Horizon-

That's a good call.

The basic missions (dark blue) are the throwaway repeating missions. Normal missions (light blue), affinity and story missions (yellow) are the good ones.

What complicates that simple colour setup is that there are some basic missions that will lead into normal or story missions, they're usually the ones marked "Social" on the board.

Only basic missions that aren't social are repeatable I think. Like hunt x monsters x times in place x or get x items in x place or give x miranium to person x.
Seems I have to look closer at the mission board when I start again tomorrow. Thanks all.

ultron87

Does a weapon's Attack stat take into account cool down and ammo count, or can a weapon of the same type with a lower attack but faster firing have higher DPS?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Prospector
pPcMC5a.gif

At least until I get like 10 Tickets and then going to move to Mediator for the TP Gain when using Arts.

Ugh, for some reason they always scare me because I always think "Maybe this time is just for bluff, maybe it's just an idol or something..."

mediator ride til I die, not many of us tho :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
What in the name of crap was that!?

Get to the Chapter 10 boss but I have fucking clue what I'm doing or what's going on because a blizzard freaking showed up.

Was the first time so at first I thought it was part of the fight. And the boss takes forever what the hell am I supposed to do!?

Get to the Chapter 10 boss but I have fucking clue what I'm doing or what's going on because a blizzard freaking showed up.

Was the first time so at first I thought it was part of the fight. And the boss takes forever what the hell am I supposed to do!?
:lol, that happened to me too on my successful attempt.

Luckily I went the agility tank route with a level 50 skell, so even though all I could see was numbers atop fog, I wasn't taking damage and everything was cool.

Also, it was
the second part of the battle
when it happened for me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
:lol, that happened to me too on my successful attempt.

Luckily I went the agility tank route with a level 50 skell, so even though all I could see was numbers atop fog, I wasn't taking damage and everything was cool.

Also, it was
the second part of the battle
when it happened for me.

Level 50 Skell? I'm not even level 40 yet.

JulianImp

Are you trying to brag? We already went over this, you are overleveled and overgeared.

I'm just stating that yes, overdoing sidequests is likely to greatly impair your enjoyment of the story missions, so that people who still aren't too far into the game can avoid falling through the same pitfall that I did. By using OPM as an example I meant that it isn't fun if all it takes are a couple attacks to beat the bad guys that were hyped up as some unbeatable adversary by the cutscenes.

Being unable to switch Elma/Lin out for some weaker party members means you're stuck not enjoying combat at all if you overlevel, and voluntarily nerfing yourself with the worst gear you can find would probably make it equally boring. It's actually the first time I'm overleveled in an RPG, and it feels really hollow since taking out the combat means all the game has left are the cutscenes (which have been nothing to write home about so far) and exploring things I've already explored in the most part due to all the missions I took earlier.

The one good thing is that I've realized photon sabers are really nice, so I'll probably be sticking with them once I'm ready to move on to other classes.

Level 50 Skell? I'm not even level 40 yet.
I got crushed, like "what happens when you go fight a level 90 unique" crushed, on my first attempt with a squad of level 30s. Someone nicely pointed out that you're supposed to
target the little circular contraptions on the sides
, but I was already amidst my plan of grinding in Weeping Whitewood (and in general, pretty pissed off) so I didn't bother testing that.

I probably could've soloed it with the level 50, I don't think it's necessary.

zroid

Banned
Well that Scabland Fortress stealth mission was scary as fuck

maybe it was possible to do without detection but I can say that copious shadowrunner was used by me :lol

Zafir

The blizzard isnt part of the fight no. If that happens again, just flee the fight and teleport to the closest point you can and redo the fight.

Teleporting resets the weather.

MrPanic

Nice, collectopedia is completed! Another milestone reached. I guess next up is farming more reward tickets to finally be able to get the Ares-90.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I got crushed, like "what happens when you go fight a level 90 unique" crushed, on my first attempt with a squad of level 30s. Someone nicely pointed out that you're supposed to
target the little circular contraptions on the sides
, but I was already amidst my plan of grinding in Weeping Whitewood (and in general, pretty pissed off) so I didn't bother testing that.

I probably could've soloed it with the level 50, I don't think it's necessary.

I did it with three level 30's, all you had to do was target the individual parts of the ship instead of the entire thing. Each one was worth like a 5th of it's life, from there you break a wing and down it goes. You seriously did it the hard way.

Malus

Oh god the helicopter mission. I'm considering whether or not to re-redo it.

The difference between the happy-go-lucky "Ciska and Howard will sure cause headaches going forward but we'll just have to see how it goes haha!" to the "He came home in a box." is amazing.

Nope, saved. Makes more sense this way hahahaha.

I did it with three level 30's, all you had to do was target the individual parts of the ship instead of the entire thing. Each one was worth like a 5th of it's life, from there you break a wing and down it goes. You seriously did it the hard way.

Also breaking parts off of enemies makes them take more damage. It can really make the difference in some cases and especially on the Ch10 boss.

Oh well. Chapter 9 fight isn't getting done. No matter what I do my party gets wiped
I can get the 4 goons but most likely everyone will be dead and the two bosses have an absurd amount of health for level 32 enemies.

The battle system is ill-suited towards mob encounters. By the time I'm done switching targets (which is needlessly fiddly) my allies have blown all their cooldowns. Is it possible to have them deal a a comparable amount of damage to my main? I swear on my avatar I'm doing about 95% of the total damage. If I'm lucky they'll give me a stagger so I can topple.

Oh god the helicopter mission. I'm considering whether or not to re-redo it.

The difference between the happy-go-lucky "Ciska and Howard will sure cause headaches going forward but we'll just have to see how it goes haha!" to the "He came home in a box." is amazing.

Nope, saved. Makes more sense this way hahahaha.

I want someone to record the bad outcome to this. I got the good one and I didn't think to reload and see the other option.

Jims

Ugh, being Level 29 with a Skell suuuuuuucks. Been exploring Oblivia doing survey rate and random missions to get that last level up before I start the next story chapter. I didn't realize I needed "Perfect"s on the abort QTE, so am down to the last insurance and am hoping to pawn off Groudon on a party member after this last level up. I might just go to Sylvalum for the first time if I get impatient. Am close to the 30% mark on Oblivia and wanna finish that.

Also I should probably save Mia. I guess.

Hopping along the mountains of Oblivia in a Skell is godlike. Looking forward to flight, of course, but even this has some fun extreme mountain climbing charm.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh well. Chapter 9 fight isn't getting done. No matter what I do my party gets wiped
I can get the 4 goons but most likely everyone will be dead and the two bosses have an absurd amount of health for level 32 enemies.

The battle system is ill-suited towards mob encounters. By the time I'm done switching targets (which is needlessly fiddly) my allies have blown all their cooldowns. Is it possible to have them deal a a comparable amount of damage to my main? I swear on my avatar I'm doing about 95% of the total damage. If I'm lucky they'll give me a stagger so I can topple.

You should have a bunch of aoe arts, use those. You just have to adjust your arts for that fight.

I guess? I couldn't take out a single part. Whole party wiped out in (what felt like) 30 seconds.

If I could sum up my reaction in a gif, it would probably be:
XUIPb.gif

So, uh, I have no regrets for taking the grinding route.

e: I only targeted the whole thing on my first try. I targeted the individual parts when I beat it, though it was laughably and wonderfully easy thanks to being overleveled. This game is already too complex for me to fuck with random difficulty spikes.

Mistle

You will most likely destroy the main story. I know I did.
Hmm... Kind of regretting it now tbh. I might forcefully downgrade myself if I find chapter 10 easy (as I've heard heaps of people say it's hard). While satisfying when grinding and such, being overpowered in the main game is a bore. When I had my own Skell build, without suggestion from forums on the "best" weapons, I felt like my Skell was very strong but still required skill to progress the game.

We'll see how it goes I guess.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The music is so over powering and loud I miss a good chunk of dialogue during cut scenes and it pissed me off. Are there no solutions for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom