• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You like Nintendo, but why do you like Nintendo?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Slim, light handheld gaming with passable graphics and great battery life with amazing first party games, third party support and indies.

The only console maker with a respectable online fee and I’m not worried that my kids will be abused or exploited when they are playing a game.

Their legacy on the industry and the nostalgia that their games and franchises hold.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Well the NES was my first console ever and the SNES simply blew it away and provided me so much enjoyment in a time when I really needed the escape.

Last edited:

dmaul1114

I grew up on Nintendo, but am pretty meh on them these days. Still enjoy some of their games, but not as much in the past so I’m pretty mixed on whether I’ll bother getting a Switch 2. Would be the first Nintendo console or portable I’ve skipped outside of the Virtual Boy.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I'm mixed on Nintendo. Like on one hand they have a certain bar for quality/fun in their games but on the other hand I think they're overrated and are mostly just selling nostalgia at a premium price.

Because I've played them all my life, even thought I've had megadrives, ps2's, 360's etc I'll usually have the Nintendo as well. And I enjoy some of their franchises more than their competitors
Comparing old vs new Nintendo games you have played, what's the biggest difference?

Robb

Gold Member
I like their software and their crazy ideas and gimmicks. Doesn’t always pan out, but at least it’s something different to the rest most of the time.

Fahdis

Nintendo fucking sucks as a company and is anticonsumer af. Love Link and Zelda. Mario and Luigi are boring cunt designs with incredible games. I like Kirby. I think Metroid is ok. I love Fire Emblem. Pokemon was childhood. Its a mixed bag... I'm not gonna name every IP here.

Nintendo fucking sucks as a company and is anticonsumer af. Love Link and Zelda. Mario and Luigi are boring cunt designs with incredible games. I like Kirby. I think Metroid is ok. I love Fire Emblem. Pokemon was childhood. Its a mixed bag... I'm not gonna name every IP here.
Who doesn't like Kirby

graywolf323

I don't. I actually dislike Nintendo. I do like a lot of their games though.
this, I like their games but the company frankly is one of the worst with how they handled Virtual Console among other things

Switch has honestly been one of their worst gens for corporate practices, for all the complaints about how PlayStation does stuff at least they eventually drop prices and have significant sales (and offer discounted upgrades for remasters)

Nintendo has been one of the greediest companies in gaming and yet get very little blowback over it due to the nostalgia of their franchises

Last edited:

Kurotri

I don't jive with Nintendo whatsoever but that's more because I'm not in their target audience. They do what they do well and I applaud them for it. They can be jerks sometimes though. But they were a big part of my childhood and I will always fondly look back on those times.

Last edited:
They make a lot of quality games. Most of them don't feel rushed.

ewr0rya9ybq81.jpg

Hookshot

Gold Member
Comparing old vs new Nintendo games you have played, what's the biggest difference?
Well considering I'm playing a new top down Zelda I'd say the ability to run on the trees... but sensibly just the bigger scope and scale while retaining the identity, I went from 2d to 3d with these games and yet while the I did the same with things like Sonic, somehow Nintendo keeps me gripped while Sega lost me.

And while people say it's just rehashes of the same stuff, you really don't get that many mainline Marios or Zelda a console. I think it was 19 years between 2d Metroids and yet I was still there day one for it. Ubisoft probably did 19 Assassins creeds in that time.

Nintendo are by no means perfect though, there's always some little niggles that don't need to be there.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Broadly because they only really care about gameplay and the moment to moment experience of playing a game. They also place fun and play at the centre of their games.

There was a video kicking around about the difference between Eastern and Western game development. In the West, you would get 200 pages on art style, lore, narrative and world building. In the East, it’s a single page detailing the gameplay loop. I think Splatoon was pitched with three images.

Remember, Nintendo originally made toys.

Top Bottom