• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You like Nintendo, but why do you like Nintendo?

Trilobit

I've played Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Forbidden West and none of them felt as magical and amazing as Breath of the Wild did. Of course, they aren't fantasy games so it's not an 1:1 comparison. But despite them being graphically several generations before BotW none impacted me as hard emotionally. None of them had a Kass playing his accordion moment. None made the character feel like a real part of the milieu. Just the small detail where Link's feet are sucked to the ground once you stand still and his body and legs conform into a position that makes sense tells about what kind of people Nintendo employs.

My PS5 has given me experiences that Nintendo never has and vice versa is true so that's why I'll keep being a fan of both.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I was a nintendo fanboy during the snes era and at least 1-2 games in my top 10 are from them, but not anymore tbh.

I still pick some of their games like zelda or metroid but i'm not in love like i was when i was little, being a combat centric dude who likes a challenge, not playing platforms anymore and not liking childish artsyle surely doesn't help.

Also, i don't care for gimmicky, underpowered home consoles, i like proper "powerfull" consoles with proper controllers.

Last edited:
I prefer PlayStation. Honestly I don't care about let's say Mario, Super Smash Bros., Kirby or Yoshi.

But Nintendo ends up having some exclusives that i really want to play.

52506_front.jpg
142974_front.jpg
266951_front.jpg
657820_front.jpg
82350_front.jpg
625616_front.jpg

Last edited:

Drell

Back in the day I'd have told you I love Zelda but these days it's more about them having intelligent system who makes Fire Emblem.

Also MS and Sony fucking suck these days so they're the last decent competitor even if they do a lot of bad things.

Last edited:
I'm torn on Nintendo. If they went out of business and just made games and I could play Mario games on the Playstation, that would be the ideal.

But I like their exclusive names JUST enough to get one of their consoles every few generations. I skipped the Wii but got a Wii U (which plays Wii games) and I don't have a Switch but may get a Switch 2.

As Devs, I feel their games are about as good in quality as a game can get. Their games very rarely have glitches or slowdown...it's ridiculous how humongous that Breath of the Wild was and yet it had so few issues. (Yes, I know, some of you will respond with some thread with a list of issues for these games but, I'm sorry, these effect a very small percentage of players). And, man, after years and years of them pumping out Mario and Zelda games, they always find a way to keep these fresh.

Overall I don't like their consoles since, with a Playstation, I really only end up getting like ten total games per Nintendo console. But those games are good enough to warrant the purchase.

MAtgS

I mean, *gestures broadly at entire industry* Nintendo these days are like the only guys who seem to have their shit together. They still prioritize proper games over GAAS, still make mid and low budget titles along with the AAA stuff, don't release games with outstanding glitches, aren't obsessed with chasing trends, don't do mass firings, and they've made more money this gen than the entire rest of their 100+ year existence combined.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

It's frankly a like-hate relationship.

When I do like them, it tends to be because they've somewhat recently delivered a game -- typically one that is part of one of their legacy IPs everyone worships -- that delivers on almost every level. At least for the first playthrough. So I've really been in the throes of my Nintendo like maybe twice in the past few years, for SM Wonder & Metroid Dread.

Apart from that, I just kind of ignore them. Most of the time they aren't interested in what I'm interested in. Their directs are largely horrible IMO.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Zelda, Mario and Mario kart those games were imprinted on me since I could remember they got me young and been good to me I’m not gonna just change teams they hold their end of the deal and I’ll continue being a loyal customer

ungalo

They have a legacy but i don't like most of their recent releases. Definitely a developer that counts and will always count for me but they're really not above the others as of today, far from it.

The Nintendo I grew up with is long gone, not saying that's a bad thing, I simply moved on.

I will always have the WiiU though and that's all I need. Maybe Switch 2 will entice me with something but until then it's SNES classic and WiiU backlog. I do own a Switch, bought it for the wife, I can't be bothered to play it or buy anything for it.

I don't know that I do like Nintendo but I enjoy their games. There's a difference. Nintendo with their petty patent lawsuits and unwillingness to ever drop the price of their stone age hardware. The Switch came out March 3, 2017...
It's over 7 years old and Nintendo is still selling the console for full price at $299.99. They can just piss off with that BS.

nnytk

Because their games are filled to the brim with creative vision, passion, polish and soul.

Mario Odyssey was incredibly fun and wild. BotW and TotK are games that will stick with me through console generations. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing New Horizon were so damn unique and such soothing experiences to share with my partner.

Then there's Splatoon which is just bonkers and somehow works. Nintendo goes all in on fun and joy. I think that's what makes them unique.

MacReady13

I love them and have ALWAYS loved them (despite their MANY flaws) but the fact they focus on gameplay over power and graphics means they're on the correct path. And minus the Gamecube and N64, power was never a fight for them. Funnily enough, for all the beautiful graphics and the high power my gaming PC has, I tend to play my Switch and even yesterday, I was playing the new Zelda game and I'm loving it! Looks good on a 4K OLED but more importanly- it PLAYS brilliantly! And that's ALL I care about.

Fbh

Because they make fun games that often have a gameplay first approach, with fun and inventive mechanics that you often don't find on other platforms. Like somehow on the underpowered 2017 tablet that is the Switch you get one of the most fun, reactive and physics driven open world games of the gen. Not to mention their games tend to also feel polished and finished at launch instead of making me wish I'd waited 6 months before buying them.
Also despite heavily relying on their established IP they do a lot to mix things up and keep the experiences fresh between major releases.

Davevil

mario_video_games_collage_by_espioartwork_102_da3bafp-fullview.jpg

in my life as a gamer I have few certainties...one of these is to see what Nintendo comes up with for the new Mario...and so on until the end

Tams

I don't know that I do like Nintendo but I enjoy their games. There's a difference. Nintendo with their petty patent lawsuits and unwillingness to ever drop the price of their stone age hardware. The Switch came out March 3, 2017...
It's over 7 years old and Nintendo is still selling the console for full price at $299.99. They can just piss off with that BS.

One of the reasons donso well is because they don't devalue their products once they find the right price for them.

Just because something is old, does not mean it has to be cheaper.

Guilty_AI

To elaborate, if i were to describe my feelings towards them as game developers (aka excluding all my personal thoughts on their business practices), it'd be that they make games i'd be interested in playing but not any more than dozens of others i'm also interested in. I think they make better games than Sony or Ubisoft, but that's not a very high bar in my book to begin with.

The only games from them i'd value more highly are the classic stuff from the snes and n64 era.

Last edited:

MAtgS

Elaborating on 1 point I mentioned earlier: when Wii U was a dumbster fire and Nintendo reported losing money for the first time, instead of firing people, the executives took large paycuts to cover the losses. Just how many layoffs and studio closures have happened in this industry in just the last 2 years? Again, they're the only ones that have it together.

Top Bottom