• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
WB should be absolutely ashamed they had a knowingly much better version of JL at their disposal and they went with the shitty Whedon cut. I finally had the time to sit down and watch it today and I fucking loved it. Cyborg was an absolute standout to me in this movie, and I loved the Flash.
i heard rumors that they wanted the movie out by the holiday season because a bunch of execs were jumping ship at the end of the year and they wanted their bonuses from the movie.

tkscz

How? It contradicts a lot of what Wan did in Aquaman.

Mera's dad is alive and a main character in Aquaman, he's dead in Justice League.
Vulko is different, he never trained Arthur in the Justice League timeline; but he trained Arthur in Aquaman. Vulko's armor also wasn't like Atlantis armor from Aquaman, it was more like Xebel (Mera's people).
They can't talk under water, just clicks and dolphin noises. No air bubbles needed to talk in Aquaman.
Atlantis (where the Mother Box was kept) also looks in ruins in Justice League, when it was neon and futuristic in Aquaman.

Honestly the Atlantis stuff is really the ONLY thing that clashes with the rest of the DCEU. If that stuff was edited down there's no reason it couldn't still be canon.
I didn't hear Mera's father was dead, when did she say that?
It was never said that he didn't train Arthur in Justice League. They only talked about him not wanting his mother's trident or being King, so it could be left to interpretation on any history they had as Arthur knew Vulko's name.
I'll give you that one.
They did attempt to explain that away by saying where the mother box is, was just a strong hold. Weak but still attempted.

They also mentioned that Orm talks of war with the surface (but I don't think Arthur even knew Orm existed in Aquaman, so I'll give you that too)
It explains why Arthur was in some Norwegian mountain town in JL but in a shore town in Aquaman
It explains a little that Mera and Vulko had been trying to convince Arthur to become King for a while as he spoke to them with familiarity. I found it weird in Aquaman that he spoke like he really knew her when in the Whedon cut, he barely spoke to her, and Vulko wasn't in it.

sol_bad

The problem was the previous movie. Bvs was way too long even in its theatrical run and way too boring. these simple minded idiots figured the problem was length and lack of humor, and decided to fix that in a movie that didnt have these issues. i was surprised at how well this movie flowed from one scene to the next. those 4 hours flew by. by the end, i didnt want it to end.

as for why whedon cut all those mini arcs, i have no fucking idea since whedon added A LOT of his own scenes. all three openings were his. the superman youtube video. the batman rooftop action scene. and the intro montage. thats like 15 minutes right there. he then littered the movie with terrible jokes and completely reshot the ending battle to add quips and humor. its almost like he went in to ruin the franchise forever. its that bad.

The Batman intro in the 2017 version is so dumb. He captures a Parademon in a net, it explodes/dies and leaves an image of 3 squares. How the eff does that even make sense? They should have just stuck with the notes from Lex Luthor's journal. And I say "they" because there is honestly no way of knowing who is at fault here. Was it Whedon or WB? I hedge my bets on WB to be honest.

I know Whedon agreed to do it but he was probably receiving huge pressure from the suits at WB and that probably explains why he was a bit of an arse on set during production.

ManaByte

I didn't hear Mera's father was dead, when did she say that?
It was never said that he didn't train Arthur in Justice League. They only talked about him not wanting his mother's trident or being King, so it could be left to interpretation on any history they had as Arthur knew Vulko's name.
I'll give you that one.
They did attempt to explain that away by saying where the mother box is, was just a strong hold. Weak but still attempted.

They also mentioned that Orm talks of war with the surface (but I don't think Arthur even knew Orm existed in Aquaman, so I'll give you that too)
It explains why Arthur was in some Norwegian mountain town in JL but in a shore town in Aquaman
It explains a little that Mera and Vulko had been trying to convince Arthur to become King for a while as he spoke to them with familiarity. I found it weird in Aquaman that he spoke like he really knew her when in the Whedon cut, he barely spoke to her, and Vulko wasn't in it.

Mera tells Arthur that her parents are dead. They changed that with a Whedon reshoot where in the theatrical cut Mera just says her parents fought in the wars and Atlanna took her in, not that they were dead.

JL lines up with Wonder Woman because it was made after that movie. Wan hadn't started Aquaman when JL was made.

Again they could easily edit down the Atlantis stuff and it could still fit.

tkscz

Mera tells Arthur that her parents are dead. They changed that with a Whedon reshoot where in the theatrical cut Mera just says her parents fought in the wars and Atlanna took her in, not that they were dead.

JL lines up with Wonder Woman because it was made after that movie. Wan hadn't started Aquaman when JL was made.

Again they could easily edit down the Atlantis stuff and it could still fit.

It feels like Wan saw what the Snyder Cut was at the time and went based on that. Just enough to have more of a link to the Snyder cut than Whedon's.

The Batman intro in the 2017 version is so dumb. He captures a Parademon in a net, it explodes/dies and leaves an image of 3 squares. How the eff does that even make sense?

I completely forgot about that scene. I forgot a lot of scenes from the Whedon cut.

Last edited:

tkscz

Another dumb thing from the 2017 movie is the fear smelling of the parademons, you telling me none of the JL ever felt any fear when Steppenwolf was whoopin' their asses before Superman joined? :lollipop_thescream:

Didn't forgot about that, even had it on my mind that they didn't say that. Or that "this world is without hope because Superman died"

Though it did get replaced with:

Superman - *Exist*

Motherbox
tenor.gif

sol_bad

Another dumb thing from the 2017 movie is the fear smelling of the parademons, you telling me none of the JL ever felt any fear when Steppenwolf was whoopin' their asses before Superman joined? :lollipop_thescream:

I actually totally forgot about that scene until I watched it again over the weekend. Such a lame way to beat the "big bad" of the film.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Movie was a lot of fun. Two thumbs up.

The Epilogue felt totally unnecessary. Part 6's ending was perfectly fine the way it was. But not gonna let that sour my perception of the whole product.

Neolombax

Loved the movie. It was great to finally see the main characters getting the screen time to properly explain back story and motivations. Steppenwolf is a better realized as a villain, which is way more menacing than Whedon's version. I'm happy that the Aquaman mural scene and also the parademon blood splatter is not part of Snyder's version to explain the plot.

I'm still not feeling Joker, thought his laugh is still awkward but his characterization is much better than the Suicide Squad version. Darkseid's first appearance in the movie I feel did not set him up as an imposing big bad though.

More than anything, I'm just happy that Snyder finally got to show the world his work and I genuinely liked the movie not just because of the story/drama behind it and I was personally rooting for Snyder, but it was an actual great movie. I really hope we get to see the sequel for this version of Justice League.

Biff

I had not seen the original Justice League and the only Snyder movie I've liked is Sucker Punch, so I came into this with low expectations.

Colour me impressed. Quite the feat to keep me engaged for a full 4 hours, of which 1 hour of that was slow-motion (lol). The Epilogue was god awful and Jared Leto's Joker continues to be an embarrassment but other than that the movie was great.

And Ezra Miller is awesome, but we all knew that since We Need to Talk About Kevin. Looking forward to the Flash standalone.

MrMephistoX

It would be kind of interesting if this convinces WB to go through with the Synderverse after all? I mean they do have an out since Flash is happening with Ezra and WW84 sold enough HBO Max subs to warrant a sequel. Batman is a little tricky but Batfleck has been fighting in Gotham for 20 years and Battinson is basically on year one. It could work...I want a Darkseid film at least with the anti-life equation and black suit Cavill. All in all HBO Max is now easily worth my subscription fees between all this day one premiere goodness and old HBO shows. If they do more Snyder films Or do them as shows that would make it a strong D+ competitor.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
wasn't really feeling the flash thought he was super annoying until he went super saiyan at the end haha same with the cyborg guy but at the end I ended up liking everybody and I hope they make sequels!! felt like I was kinda watching a "300" super hero justice league movie with all that slow-mo haha

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Eh they can always change that. Not like they can’t explain it away as an infinite earth? Plus it looks like retro 70s.
I don't think it's an issue of explaining. it's more on WB execs cracking open their wallets and keeping their egos in check. Additionally dealing with the actors having the desire to come back, Ray Fisher might of burned his bridges, Henry Cavill could be gone for good if talks with Marvel are true, Ben Affleck, well, I can't say much for him , he can be replaced with Pattinson tbh.

MrMephistoX

I don't think it's an issue of explaining. it's more on WB execs cracking open their wallets and keeping their egos in check. Additionally dealing with the actors having the desire to come back, Ray Fisher might of burned his bridges, Henry Cavill could be gone for good if talks with Marvel are true, Ben Affleck, well, I can't say much for him , he can be replaced with Pattinson tbh.
I like Batfleck but yeah Batman is a franchise like Bond where audiences are used to random actors taking over. I love Cavill though to the point where I’m questioning my own heterosexualality.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

wasn't really feeling the flash thought he was super annoying until he went super saiyan at the end haha same with the cyborg guy but at the end I ended up liking everybody and I hope they make sequels!! felt like I was kinda watching a "300" super hero justice league movie with all that slow-mo haha
I was the same but as soon as they got to Aquaman blaming him for fucking up and him saving the damn time continuum he won me by the end. I feel like he was just more endearing in the Snydercut in so many subtle ways whereas he was just there in Josstice league.

j0hnnix

I like Batfleck but yeah Batman is a franchise like Bond where audiences are used to random actors taking over. I love Cavill though to the point where I’m questioning my own heterosexualality.
lol. I with you on Cavill. That black suit.. I ran around the house like a damn 16 year old girl. anyways. Ben Affleck will be missed but after seeing Pattinson I want to give him the chance and the new suit looks great.. Honestly WB needs to suck it up and call Zak Snyder. He suffered a huge loss during the original filming give this man his chance to finish his vision

HoodWinked

Also it's unfortunate that batmans "just save one person" moment was cut. That was one of my favorite parts of the original.
I dunno I think it's one of those things that sounds good in the moment but is actually dumb. Like saying a son should never have to bury thier parents.

Alcibiades

Loved the movie. The only parts I didn't like were anything with Lois Lane and Martha Kent. I'm happy we didn't see much of Superman until near the end cause I don't like this version (the actor or the character).

I re-subscribed to HBO Max just for this. Not sure how long I'll keep it but I may end up keeping it for a month or two so I can rewatch it in a few weeks and see if I still feel the same way.

I don't know what it is but I can't stand this version of Lois Lane. There is no charm to her at all, compared to say Margot Kidder. Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns was a bore for the most part, but Amy Adams is actively off-putting. I like all the other characters. I hope they release this in IMAX at some point I really want to see this in the big screen.

I loved the multiple endings. Also, I think Infinity War and Endgame would have worked better with this "chapters" idea and an intermission in-between. People keep saying that 4 hours wouldn't work in movie theaters which to some extent is true, but if you add an intermission in the middle like they used to for classic movies like 10 Commandments I think it could work. It's not something you can do on a regular basis, but for the occasional blockbuster it's OK.

oagboghi2

Watched it. It was fantastic. So much more fulfilling and epic than Joss Whedon version was. I actually like the full cast, as compared to the original where I didn't give a shit about Cyborg and actively disliked Flash. Also, props to the snyder cut fans for being right. The movie was worth "fighting" for

To think, some exec at warner bros saw this version, then saw Whedons, and thought Whedons was better. Incredible. How out of touch can you be.

Oh my god, just stop. It's over

You lost

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Reading this thread made me remember how bad some parts were from the original, like the stupid fear part.

The ONLY part I miss from original was Aquaman spilling his gut out accidentally when wonderwo had her lasso around his feet. Was funny and gave him some character.

Apart from that, solid work. Snyder, could you cut down on those slo mo with a church lady singing in the back ?

Time for an update on the rest of the movie? :lollipop_grinning:
Well, it’s actually a very watchable movie. The action sequences are much better and I really liked the last third were they’re planning the final assault and coming together and fighting Steppenwolf at the end. But there’s still too much fat and slow motion and on-the-nose sequences. That movie could have been 3 hours and be even better. That Flash and the truck crash sequence was simply laughable. That should have been left out. Lois Lane’s role - cut that in half. The appearance of that new character (won’t spoil who) - made no sense in the continuity. That last epilogue - should just have been a long trailer.

One thing - I laughed at the scene where The Flash is asking Aquaman about the cap style. Momoa’s line made me laugh.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I still just cant get with the overall feel of the DC Movies. They just seem off and completely disorganized. I really want to like them and I'll keep watching them but I just don't think they are very good at all.

Watched it last night and while it's better in most places than the theatrical release there are a few bits that seem odd or are missing.

In what would would Bruce not keep an eye on Martha Kent and make sure she was OK?

They cut the scene with Diana and Bruce after he got a kicking.

Cyborg's actual name is fitting, as he has about the same personality as a stone.

Diana's people clothes aren't amazonian, why didn't the heels break when she jumped down the hole?

ADHD flash is still annoying.

Why is the inside of superman's ship made of metal vaginas?

Amazon's were bang tidy though.

Overall, 1 thumb 80% up. A decent watch, in the pirate rather than pay pile.

Madflavor

Watched it last night and while it's better in most places than the theatrical release there are a few bits that seem odd or are missing.

In what would would Bruce not keep an eye on Martha Kent and make sure she was OK?

They cut the scene with Diana and Bruce after he got a kicking.

Cyborg's actual name is fitting, as he has about the same personality as a stone.

Diana's people clothes aren't amazonian, why didn't the heels break when she jumped down the hole?

ADHD flash is still annoying.

Why is the inside of superman's ship made of metal vaginas?

Amazon's were bang tidy though.

Overall, 1 thumb 80% up. A decent watch, in the pirate rather than pay pile.

These come off really nitpicky.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I am reading no comments as I haven't watched past the first chapter yet, But why is this in 4:3?

These come off really nitpicky.
They are, but having a really annoying character and one with the charisma of a puddle bring the film down. The scene with Bruce all battered and bruised added to his character, the rest are just observations.

The film went from a "what the fuck was that shit" with the theatrical release to "that wasn't bad, and I'd probably watch a sequel eventually when it hit netflix or amazon" which is quite the improvement. It could have been better with a different actor for cyborg and a different character style for flash.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Watched this yesterday with some fellas.

Good things: unlike the OG release, this is actually watchable and enjoyable!

Bad things: hilariously long. I get the Lois Lane scenes are there because otherwise the Superman turn would feel like an ex machina but god were they boring.

Hugare

These guys are like the Giantbomb crew but for films, right?

Havent seen one video where they actualy enjoyed a movie

Their whole schtick is about complaining about how big budget movies are bad and yadda yadda?

Less than 1 minute in and they called it "a mess"

Last edited:

showernota

These guys are like the Giantbomb crew but for films, right?

Havent seen one video where they actualy enjoyed a movie

Their whole schtick is about complaining about how big budget movies are bad and yadda yadda?

Less than 1 minute in and they called it "a mess"
Watch until 2 minutes and they start praising it as being much better than Whedon’s version, and they liked it.

SJRB

Gold Member
Man, that Lantern was weaksauce and deserved what he got. Seriously, all you can muster to summon is a PEW PEW laserbeam?

Top Bottom