• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who was you talking about btw?

Cause I was guessing like a mofo. :p
Er...

Press A to jump, Sonikku-senpai! It's like an endless stream of them! Shouldn't someone heal Noel-kun?

Stab me in the ear. Been in 18-20 games I’ve played since 2009, and in most of those she’s using the same high range. I like her and I think she does good work, but I’ve heard her voice in that range in soooo many games and dubbed anime. When she’s working with another range, it’s cool beans. Kaine, Cloud of Darkness, Blaze the Cat, Helena Harper, and Lust? I'm fine with those.

Kinda wish we'd gotten some unknowns or people who don't normally do a lot of VA for this, though. Great direction can bring out the best in a voice actor, even if they haven't been around much. Sorta like that girl who voiced Sophie in Graces and made me finally like the character.

Arla

Probably wouldn't make much sense to bother if you didn't like the first game. Furthermore, (MAJOR SPOILERS regarding 999's story, true ending, and the need for multiple plays)
999 was one of the only games to justify multiple endings as an actual plot point: none of them were truly "false" so much as varying possibilities of the Morphogenetic Field, with the true ending simply being the one that would actually allow the group to complete the game and get out alive, all while making it possible for Junpei to save Akane from getting incinerated in the past and thereby preserving her existence in the present. Without having explored those other outcomes, Akane wouldn't have been able to guide Junpei from where she was in the past by providing him with the right answers for everything. It was the very answer to Junpei's question of why he knew those things he couldn't have possibly have known otherwise on the path to the true ending.

Ugh, thanks for reminding me what a convoluted mess it is. I think I'll just skip it.

Esura

Banned
What kind of insensitive inhumane... entity would call Noel stupid?

... Erm, back on topic, only a few more days... And I'm not working on the 24th, so assuming all goes according to plan, that will be a good day of play time.
Soulless people, and haters of the not well endowed. :p

And I'm jelly. Working that day. :(

Er...

Press A to jump, Sonikku-senpai! It's like an endless stream of them! Shouldn't someone heal Noel-kun?

Stab me in the ear. Been in 18-20 games I’ve played since 2009, and in most of those she’s using the same high range. I like her and I think she does good work, but I’ve heard her voice in that range in soooo many games and dubbed anime. When she’s working with another range, it’s cool beans. Kaine, Cloud of Darkness, Blaze the Cat, Helena Harper, and Lust? I'm fine with those.

Kinda wish we'd gotten some unknowns or people who don't normally do a lot of VA for this, though. Great direction can bring out the best in a voice actor, even if they haven't been around much. Sorta like that girl who voiced Sophie in Graces and made me finally like the character.

I actually like her high range roles more than her other roles. It's distinctive and fits with most of the cutesy characters she play. I like that I can pick her voice out easily like I can with other peeps like Patrick Stuart and JYB and stuff. But I'm weird like that. I don't mind her other roles though, although I wish she didn't voice Helena Harper, I don't care for that character much...character wise. Should of voiced Sherry. :(

I agree about great direction though. I don't know who voiced Sophie (I got to toss in my Sophie Fan card...) but it sold me on Sophie. Another one I like besides LB and Sophie's VA is Cristina Vee...primarily because of Noel and Compa (from Neptunia).

EDIT: Who is Sonniku?

cj_iwakura

Watching the anime now!!

Wait, sigma is voiced by the guy that did spike from Catherine? awesome!! now I have to play this in English.

Edit: ahahah and Dio is voiced by his other bar buddy, the one with the leather jacket whose name escapes me right now. This is awesome.

Jonathan in Catherine, voiced by Travis Willingham(Also Relius from BB and Gabriel from Trauma Team).

FSLink

Banned
First response from Amazon is of absolutely no help, standard "we checked and this thing isn't there, here's $5" response.

Will probably cancel after the next response ends up being the same thing.

Yeah got the same response. Wasn't expecting much else though.

MarkusRJR

Do we know which version of the game controls better? I tried the Vita demo and the escape portion felt extremely weird to control. Do we know if it's better/worse on the 3DS?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually like her high range roles more than her other roles. It's distinctive and fits with most of the cutesy characters she play. I like that I can pick her voice out easily like I can with other peeps like Patrick Stuart and JYB and stuff. But I'm weird like that. I don't mind her other roles though, although I wish she didn't voice Helena Harper, I don't care for that character much...character wise. Should of voiced Sherry. :(

I agree about great direction though. I don't know who voiced Sophie (I got to toss in my Sophie Fan card...) but it sold me on Sophie. Another one I like besides LB and Sophie's VA is Cristina Vee...primarily because of Noel and Compa (from Neptunia).

EDIT: Who is Sonniku?
Sonic (ソニック Sonikku). She voices Omochao and Blaze the Cat now. Troy Baker voices Espio, Ezio/Chris Redfield voices Sonic now, Kirk Thornton voices Shadow and it's really weird, etc.

The thing is that I used to like her higher range a lot, but when I heard the same voice again and again in multiple dubbed anime and multiple games, I started to grow weary of it. There's nothing inherently wrong with the higher range at all, because it generally fits. I just can't find enjoyment in hearing it anymore.

Sophie's VA is Cassandra Morris. She voices Gust in Neptunia and Totori in Atelier Totori. Edit: I liked her work as Totori. Both the Japanese voice and the English voice did a good job with that character.

Esura

Banned
Sonic (ソニック Sonikku). She voices Omochao and Blaze the Cat now. Troy Baker voices Espio, Ezio/Chris Redfield voices Sonic now, Kirk Thornton voices Shadow and it's really weird, etc.

The thing is that I used to like her higher range a lot, but when I heard the same voice again and again in multiple dubbed anime and multiple games, I started to grow weary of it. There's nothing inherently wrong with the higher range at all, because it generally fits. I just can't find enjoyment in hearing it anymore.

Sophie's VA is Cassandra Morris. She voices Gust in Neptunia and Totori in Atelier Totori. Edit: I liked her work as Totori. Both the Japanese voice and the English voice did a good job with that character.

....wtf? lol that sounds weird just by reading.

I guess too much of a good thing can be a bad thing I guess. Like drinking Folgers every single morning. I hope she nocks this Luna cat from this game out of the park though.

I never got to play Totori yet. Own it but I haven't finished Rorona (sigh...). Do she sound like Sophie or unique for Totori?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
To people who have played this game:

One thing I really loved about 999 was that every time significant happened
(death, kidnapping, etc),
I'd always find myself doing lots quick math to see if I could figure out the potential culprits. VLR seems to ditch the digital root concept, which worked really well. Will these whodunit scenarios be as plentiful in VLR? A simple yes/no would be fine.

Thanks!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know which version of the game controls better? I tried the Vita demo and the escape portion felt extremely weird to control. Do we know if it's better/worse on the 3DS?
I tried both demos and IMO the 3DS one controls better and is more responsive. A capacitive stylus on the vita will bring it almost up to par though. The only thing you might want to consider on the 3ds is that all the puzzles and point-n-click actions take place on the smaller bottom screen, which also has this annoying scan line filter on it. Personally I opted to go with the vita version + capacitive stylus in the end because I didn't want to look at those scan lines for a majority of the escape sections.

sfried

I'm choosing the 3DS version. Odd thing is that Arksys should also make this available o the eShop for both demo and download.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Decided to go with Vita because I ended up making room to purchase something else with my budget. Might purchase the 3DS version someday if I'm not burnt out or if I feel like it's worth it.

Esura said:
I never got to play Totori yet. Own it but I haven't finished Rorona (sigh...). Do she sound like Sophie or unique for Totori?
Not really. But I think it's a good casting because her voice has this... quality/tone colour to it, much like how the Japanese voice was kind of distinct or had its own sorta quality to it. She's certainly more verbose than Sophie, but you can tell it's her from the similarities... because it's pretty much her voice only more dramatic.

This dude's my favourite English VA, btw.

>Gets home from long, hard day of midterms

>Notices English OVA was released

>Hears more of K and Dio's English voices

tumblr_m77yhg7fWF1qbelv8.gif

Keep up the good work, Aksys. If only I could have both a watch and the game released on the 23rd then I could die truly happy.

Esura

Banned
I hope Clover is all cool and stuff in this one since this is like her
third
Nonary Game. She should be an OG now.

Decided to go with Vita because I ended up making room to purchase something else with my budget. Might purchase the 3DS version someday if I'm not burnt out or if I feel like it's worth it.

Not really. But I think it's a good casting because her voice has this... quality/tone colour to it, much like how the Japanese voice was kind of distinct or had its own sorta quality to it. She's certainly more verbose than Sophie, but you can tell it's her from the similarities... because it's pretty much her voice only more dramatic.

This dude's my favourite English VA, btw.
Wow...I can hear the Sophie in Totori. Oh my goodness I think I just got hyped for a game I already own.

Crispin Freeman is pretty cool. Gets mad respect for Shizuo and Kyon. Can't think of his video game roles off the top of my head though.

>Gets home from long, hard day of midterms

>Notices English OVA was released

>Hears more of K and Dio's English voices

tumblr_m77yhg7fWF1qbelv8.gif

Keep up the good work, Aksys. If only I could have both a watch and the game released on the 23rd then I could die truly happy.

LOL funny gif.

I'm locking horns with an Amazon rep who is arguing that my address is not an eligible one for the package to be shipped on the same date of its release, which is bullshit because I've ordered two different games that arrived the same day as release before.

At least a non-shitty rep gave me a $10 credit for the pre-order confusion/missed Newegg deal. A real swell guy.

Busaiku

Knowing this game exists spoils that though
well, now I know that Alice is in 999 too, I guess, AUGHSDLKFJLSKDJF
But does it explain the connection though?

I figured if you're in this thread
you already know they're in the game from the OP
, but fair enough.
That's true, though one point wouldn't have any context unless they had played the game.

Knowing this game exists spoils that though
well, now I know that Alice is in 999 too, I guess, AUGHSDLKFJLSKDJF
But does it explain the connection though?
You really should just keep playing the game. Telling you anything would be major spoilers.

I personally wouldn't be in this thread at all until I had finished the game. In a series so focused on story, I would definitely play it safe.

Dantis

sigma - troy baker (valvatorez from disgaea 4)
phi - karen strassman (nanako from persona 4)
dio - liam o'brien (asura from asura's wrath)
quark - erin fitzgerald (chie from persona 4)
luna - laura bailey (everyone from everything ever)
clover - wendee lee (faye valentine from cowboy bebop)
zero iii - cindy robinson (the current amy rose)

SURE IS PERSONA IN HERE.
Except for Wendee Lee, but she was Sera in DDS, so whatever, it still works.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You have pre-ordered a standard edition of this title and are scheduled to receive the standard edition shortly after release date. A bonus edition of this game is available in very limited quantities. You may have been informed that you would receive the bonus edition but, unfortunately, this is not the case. We're very sorry for the inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused.
I had pre-ordered before anyone knew it was up on Amazon in March. >:

Does anyone know how much space this game will take in the PS Vita platform? (I have a 4GB memory card)

I'm thinking in going digital for this one, because in Chile I don't know how much time it will take to arrive here and I'm really eager to have this as soon as it gets released.

Thanks in advance!

Varshes

To Aksys: Maybe next time there is a preorder bonus of this caliber, try a different retailer, one that has B&M stores? Other than getting them later than usual in Canada, I haven't had any issues with special editions and preorder bonuses at EB.

Omikaru

I was hoping to hold off on the OVA until it was closer to my import arriving, but I caved today. Glad I did. So hyped for this now. :D

Necrovex

I have a giftcard for Best Buy, and I want to use my card for VLR. I'm a little curious if this game will be available there? I cannot seem to find the product on its site.

Koroviev

I have a giftcard for Best Buy, and I want to use my card for VLR. I'm a little curious if this game will be available there? I cannot seem to find the product on its site.

Based on what I've heard, Best Buy isn't reliable at all when it comes to niche products.

It's listed on their Canadian website but not on the US site. I wanted to buy it at Best Buy too so I hope they have it this week.

Necrovex

Based on what I've heard, Best Buy isn't reliable at all when it comes to niche products.

Grrrr. Maybe I'll save my card for Assassin's Creed then. I'll just have to wait to see Gaf's impression on the Vita version.

I just cancelled my Newegg order. I won't have the patience to wait for VLR to arrive by mail. I'll be getting it off the PSN store.

Lusankya

What time will the game be available on PSN on Tuesday?
I've read the store usually updates between 16:00 and 20:00 EDT/EST, is that correct?

Dantis

So I dunno if everybody else already knew this, but it seems the main theme for VLR is a remix of Morphogenetic Sorrow from the first game. It's rather good.

Would be neat if that melody became the theme for the series, and was remixed in a new way for each game.

tborsje

Do we know what the price of the game will be on the US PSN yet? I wanna make sure there's enough funds in my PSN wallet to get it day one.

Top Bottom