• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

jschreier

Beat the game last night. Stayed up until 4am to do it. :p

Still digesting the ending, but as a whole, it's better than 999. I'd strongly recommend that everyone play the first game before VLR, though. VLR isn't as standalone as I thought.

Dantis

I would love it! It's such a great piece! I personally prefer the Piano version though.

Both are great. :D
I just posted the orchestral version because it's more significantly different to Morphogenetic Sorrow.

Beat the game last night. Stayed up until 4am to do it. :p

Still digesting the ending, but as a whole, it's better than 999. I'd strongly recommend that everyone play the first game before VLR, though. VLR isn't as standalone as I thought.

Mmmm... I'll remain dubious on this one until I beat it myself.

I really, really liked 999.

At the very least though, it's good to hear that it's a sound sequel. Very exciting!

jschreier

Mmmm... I'll remain dubious on this one until I beat it myself.

I really, really liked 999.

At the very least though, it's good to hear that it's a sound sequel. Very exciting!

I really, really liked 999 too. But VLR keeps all the things I liked about it and ditches/fixes the things I didn't. You don't have to solve any puzzles multiple times, or sit through oodles of boring prose while waiting to see what'll happen next. And the writing is great! If you don't mind rabbit puns.

Dantis

I really, really liked 999 too. But VLR keeps all the things I liked about it and ditches/fixes the things I didn't. You don't have to solve any puzzles multiple times, or sit through oodles of boring prose while waiting to see what'll happen next. And the writing is great! If you don't mind rabbit puns.

Good lord I'm excited.

Damn having to wait for imports! :(

Also, bizarre question, I don't suppose it plays a vocal track in the credits? It sounds so weird to say, but when I finished 999, I thought "Man, a credits song would really fit in here".

Necrovex

Stop it! Stop filling me with the hype ooze!

wiibomb

now I'm quite worried with the whole amazon preorder madness...

I did my preorder on september 17th... and even talked by chat to make sure I still have it, but somehow I just don't trust the chat anymore since the customer service seems lost at this case...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not sure how much I can say without breaking embargo... but if you haven't played 999 YOU NEED TO BEFORE THIS. Seriously.

Also, avoid spoilers any way you can!

now I'm quite worried with the whole amazon preorder madness...

I did my preorder on september 17th... and even talked by chat to make sure I still have it, but somehow I just don't trust the chat anymore since the customer service seems lost at this case...

At this point, I haven't been told I'm not getting the watch, and I ordered during the time that the watch was an option. I even have the "(With Pro-Order Bonus)" edition of the game on my receipt!

But still, I am assuming that I am not getting the watch. That way if I do get it, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

UberTag

Frankly, I would be upset at this point if there weren't tangible tie-ins with the previous game. I want to see more of that entire 999 cast.

LargePad

Neo Member
Conveniently timed, I just finished the final, true end route in 999 this morning.

I haven't caught a wink in 30 hours and yet I'm still completely floored from that finale.
A half-hour passed with me just staring out my window, wide-eyed, tying up loose ends in my head.

The past 2 weeks with this game have been an truly unique experience, due in large to the fact that I would write down my thoughts, questions, theories among other things each morning after playing it. I never expected it to "get so out of hand." I mean, how else can I describe this 8000+ word .txt? Full of my failed circular logic, self-deprecation, and blatant math miscalculations, among my heaps of praise for various aspects (though, it is not without criticism) and well-deduced speculations that proved true (which is the best god damn feeling.)

Anyways, clearly I could ramble for far longer than would be safe, so I best close this off with the original reason I made this post:

So after I'd cooled down enough to sit down without drifting into detective mode, I remembered I needed to pre-order the sequel still.
Then my jaw dropped once again, followed by laughter:
jVHoMJj0oYhuz.png

Thanks chunsoft/aksys, it's been great.

wiibomb

At this point, I haven't been told I'm not getting the watch, and I ordered during the time that the watch was an option. I even have the "(With Pro-Order Bonus)" edition of the game on my receipt!

But still, I am assuming that I am not getting the watch. That way if I do get it, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

well yeah that could be an option, but my incentive for buying the game was that watch..

and the fact that it still says no delivery estimate worries me more :/

ok let's just wait and see what happens...

that OVA just hyped me enough to buy the game even without the watch, It is awesome!

GSR

Yeah, this thread would turn into Black Bars: The Thread!

It probably will anyways if the spoiler thread is open season. I imagine we'll be seeing a lot of things like "Funyarinpa route spoilers:
Sigma and Phi just found the ladder, holy crap!
".

Just a friendly warning that I've started to post in said spoiler thread and others have too.

Be careful when clicking. ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not sure how much I can say without breaking embargo... but if you haven't played 999 YOU NEED TO BEFORE THIS. Seriously.

Also, avoid spoilers any way you can!

That's much of an option for me since I don't have a DS. It's really that important? I read a preview somewhere a few days ago (I want to say Kotaku but I don't remember) and they said it's not really that important although it will spoil 999.

jschreier

That's much of an option for me since I don't have a DS. It's really that important? I read a preview somewhere a few days ago (I want to say Kotaku but I don't remember) and they said it's not really that important although it will spoil 999.

As the person who wrote that preview a few days ago, let me tell you that my opinion has changed after beating the game. You've gotta play 999 first.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It's EXTREMELY important.

I'm pretty screwed then because I'm getting a Vita before I get a 3DS and that game. Maybe I can youtube the story or find a detailed summary somewhere first.
If you can't actually play the game, but you want a good experience of the story, try this, it's a fan dub of the entire game (up to a certain point anyway) and it's pretty well voiced. Though its only like half (or less) of the game so far, but it's a good place to start if you don't feel like reading through the game yourself.

I'm pretty screwed then because I'm getting a Vita before I get a 3DS and that game. Maybe I can youtube the story or find a detailed summary somewhere first.

It's a bit different, if I'm not mistaken.
The game seems to be constructed so that even someone who never played 999 CAN go through the story without scratching their head.
BUT, it seems that there are some plot twists (dunno which ones) that cause two reactions:
1) You never played 999: "Oh,ok! That's cool!"
2) You played (and loved 999): "HOLY FRIGGIN' PANCAKES!!!!! OHMEGOOOODDD!!!!"

So, you have to play and LOVE 999, not just know its story and twists, since many are explained in-game.
But, yes, watchin it on youtube should suffice, I think.
(Mind that these things are only speculations based on opinions I heard. I DID NOT play VLR yet.)

Mr. Fix

A not-so-spoilerish question, but I have to ask:

Does this game address any of the mysteries surrounding the True ending for 999? Or rather, does it go in-depth based on the Answers given on the Aksys website
?

It's a bit different, if I'm not mistaken.
The game seems to be constructed so that even someone who never played 999 CAN go through the story without scratching their head.
BUT, it seems that there are some plot twists (dunno which ones) that cause two reactions:
1) You never played 999: "Oh,ok! That's cool!"
2) You played (and loved 999): "HOLY FRIGGIN' PANCAKES!!!!! OHMEGOOOODDD!!!!"

As I've been saying since the game launched in Japan, VLR is a sequel in every sense of the word.

It is not recommended that you go into it without having played 999 or at least watching/reading the story.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Preorder watch bonus version is back up for Vita and 3DS

Edit - removed link as requested by Akselziys. Maybe if your order was cancelled you received an email notifying you?

It's EXTREMELY important.

How so - do you simply miss out big chunks of references or is it literally impossible to comprehend this games (basic) story without playing 999?
This would be quite cumbersome for pretty much the biggest part of the EU audience. Personally, I never feel like importing unless I'm extremely positive that I'll really enjoy it.

Himself

That much is spoiled, huh. I might need to do a quick refresher then since I forgot a lot about 999.

Same here. Is there no recap before the game?

I like to think of the first ending I got in 999 as my own true ending of the game. I got another one after that and watched the rest on youtube and only felt more and more disconnected from the events of the game. I kinda forgot what the actual real ending was and was hoping for a recap.

I might gamefly this (broke as a motherfucker).

I "played" 999. By that I mean I got one ending...in which bad things happened and never got anther ending.

I wiki'd the rest...am I okay with everything or is a Youtube watch in order? If so...link?

Jmac71

Sweet, I preordered the new version with the watch to replace me old preorder from march that didn't! Thanks for getting more out there for us Aksys! It will definitely be worth the wait for that.

also is the Vita version the "best" one?

I have both and probably wll rent that one due to seemingly no one with gamefly having a Vita (every game is available...lol)

also is the Vita version the "best" one?

I have both and probably wll rent that one due to seemingly no one with gamefly having a Vita (every game is available...lol)

Either should be fine. I played on the Vita and didn't have any problems. I preferred having the OLED screen to the 3D stuff.

Top Bottom