• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

UberTag

I'm trying to find out the exact time. All I know for now is a general 'October 23rd.'
Is this an actual embargo... or is it one where they lift it only to find that nobody has played the game hence no actual reviews go up (ala Silent Hill: Book of Memories)?

(Actually, I don't expect that will happen here seeing how this is a multi-platform release. But, you never know.)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is this an actual embargo... or is it one where they lift it only to find that nobody has played the game hence no actual reviews go up (ala Silent Hill: Book of Memories)?

(Actually, I don't expect that will happen here seeing how this is a multi-platform release. But, you never know.)

I know at least me and one other person has finished it. I'm working on my review right now.

UberTag

I know at least me and one other person has finished it. I'm working on my review right now.
Well, at least the Internet will have 2 reviews from folks who enjoy gaming.
They'll get overshadowed by the 50 reviews for Medal of Honor: Warfighter that will flood the 'Net over the next 24 hours. But at least we'll have those 2 reviews.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How long did it take you to finish and how different are the puzzles when playing on Hard?

30 hours, 37 minutes. The difference between Hard/Easy is that on Easy mode the other characters will give you hints to complete the puzzle if you keep failing.

Pharros

For some reason I thought this game came out on the 27th, I have no idea why. I even have it pre-ordered at EB Games... I wasn't going to check this thread just in case of spoilers but then i seen there was a dedicated spoilers thread. Now I'm certainly glad I did. :)

Busaiku

30 hours, 37 minutes. The difference between Hard/Easy is that on Easy mode the other characters will give you hints to complete the puzzle if you keep failing.

So they never give you hints on Hard?
A problem I have is that I always forget rules (or hexadecimals), so I had to keep going out to check on it again, but then I ended up getting hints that I didn't want in 999.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So they never give you hints on Hard?
A problem I have is that I always forget rules (or hexadecimals), so I had to keep going out to check on it again, but then I ended up getting hints that I didn't want in 999.

You get some, but they are vague.

Javier

Honestly guys... stop worrying. Trust me.
2a89a.gif

Are there super specific references to 999 (i.e. should I replay 999 first) or just having played through 999 and remembering the broad points should be enough

Busaiku

Wait, so clarify this for me guys.
Are these characters Japanese, but because of nicknames and whatnot, they don't sound Japanese
(except for that 1 character)
, and Aksys had to make up for that in the localization (like some big things, like in 999) had to be changed to compensate?

Or did they actually keep the US audience in mind this time?

Torillian

Neo Member

You had an embargo mentioned with your review code? My email didn't mention anything like that. Are you assuming Midnight PST as what they meant?

I gotta see if I can get a reply from the PR guy before I finish this writeup, I'd hate to screw up an embargo by accident.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Are these characters Japanese, but because of nicknames and whatnot, they don't sound Japanese
, and Aksys had to make up for that in the localization (like some big things, like in 999) had to be changed to compensate?

All their names are the same as in the Japanese version, if that's what you're asking

GSR

I think I read that the characters were made more global-friendly out of recognition of the American market.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You had an embargo mentioned with your review code? My email didn't mention anything like that. Are you assuming Midnight PST as what they meant?

I emailed again, but I assume a general "October 23rd" ... mainly to keep spoilers down.

Torillian

Neo Member
I emailed again, but I assume a general "October 23rd" ... mainly to keep spoilers down.

Well that makes sense. Crud, was all happy to get a before release review out which isn't the norm for us, but you're right that it'd be best to wait for release day for a title like this. Guess I don't have to rush my writeup then.

Please let me know if you get a response to what time they'd prefer. I've emailed the guy at Aksys I know and I'll do the same.

Thoraxes

So when I first played 999 my immediate reaction was 'wow, this reminds me of Ever17'. Of course, after finding out WHY I decided that I'd go back and finish that VN once I was done with 999.

I'd previously started it several years ago but only finished Tsugumi's route before a series of unfortunate events made me lose my save, the computer I was playing it on, and the apartment I was living in at the time so I never got around to completing it. The funny thing is, I consider it the thing that got me into VNs even though I had left it unfinished for so long. But with VLR's impending release I decided to finally power through it. And oh how I did.

cocosroute.jpg

...now that my brain is plastered all over the walls of my house, I'm all ready to have my mind blown by VLR all over again. I kinda regret ordering it online, I need it NOW but I have no confidence in stores around here actually having it in stock, and I didn't preorder. Oh well.

It's nice that there's dual audio, but the English cast sounds fine based on the OVA so I might go with that. I know some people a few pages back had Travis Willingham mixed up with Liam O'Brien, but sounds to me like Travis is voicing K. Anyone know for sure?
So you've done the Coco route too, huh?

teehee

Also Grace Chen time is going to hurt my soul.

I can safely say that the Coco Route in Ever17 is one of the biggest mindfucks I've been through my whole life.

i have to agree ..and i was expecting a mindfuck ..i wasn't expecting this !!

i spent the last 3 hours of Coco route with a great smile on my face

Just ordered the original with the new cover even though I have the original print of the game...

That is how much I love this series! I’m willing to pay for the same game just with a new cover!

Easy/Hard only changes the puzzle hints, and the files you can get. So playing on Easy will net you the silver file, while Hard gets you the gold file with more background info.
Do the gold files have all the info from the silver files plus more, or totally different info?

Top Bottom