• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Videoneon

Snake was my favorite character too, but Ace was second.
I was a fan of him as a villain.

I was also a fan of Akane as a villain, though it felt very nebulous and removed from the player.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
tumblr_m0in2lCTIo1qfjl5zo1_1280.jpg
I hope this part has voice acting

I might consider Snake and Lotus equal, but otherwise I agree.

And it's not even that Ace is a bad character. There are just a lot of really likable ones in this game.

Hm. Maybe I'd put him above Santa? Yeah, I probably would.

So:

Snake = Lotus > June > Junpei > Clover > Ace > Santa > Seven > 9th Man
I would probably put Lotus at the very top if she was given just a bit more character development. I feel like they had a lot of things they could of delved into, but she kinda got brushed to the side a bit towards the end of the game.

I appreciated her behavior during the actual nonary game the best. Very logical and intuitive.

Esura

Banned
Snake was my favorite character too, but Ace was second.
I was a fan of him as a villain.

I was also a fan of Akane as a villain, though it felt very nebulous and removed from the player.

I wonder, would
Akane really be considered evil? She managed to off three guys who kidnapped kids and got one more ready to be locked up. Also, she (in the true ending) got everyone innocent out alive. She seems more like an anti-hero than a villain.

Busaiku

I feel like they had a lot of things they could of delved into, but she kinda got brushed to the side a bit towards the end of the game.

Cause there was nothing to do with her.
She had absolutely no reason to be in the game, besides needing a person to die every single time.

Cause there was nothing to do with her.
She had absolutely no reason to be in the game, besides needing a person to die every single time.
I don't agree with that.

Her spot in the game didn't have as much weight as some others, but that's exactly the what I'm talking about. They could of easily built it into something greater, especially if you've read some of the supplemental material.

Plus, I appreciated her role as a true observer.

Except
being the mother of the twins from the previous Nonary Game, and pretty much being the only person that could complete some of the puzzles, and all that looks-like-useless-trivia-but-it's-actually-important technobabble.

Sure, they could've done better with her, but it's not like she was just there for the sake of being there.

especially if you've read some of the supplemental material.

What material?

GSR

I wonder, would
Akane really be considered evil? She managed to off three guys who kidnapped kids and got one more ready to be locked up. Also, she (in the true ending) got everyone innocent out alive. She seems more like an anti-hero than a villain.

Uchikoshi had an interesting take on things in the Answers:

My intention was to create the world's worst heroine, but how well did that work out? She's pretty bad, but there's still some sense of purity in her, and she's also noble. I guess...you could categorize her as a genius... Her motives are too grand in scale for an ordinary person to ever understand her.

Esura

Banned
Uchikoshi had an interesting take on things in the Answers:

I wish he actually showed a lot of this in game. It was like, about time the twist happened the game was over and I wanted to know more about Akane and Aoi and how they were able to do all that. He does explain it in that Answers section but I wish it was in game because all you ever see is "Kanny" Akane and not Akane how she actually is except for the very end when she is narrating.

Hopefully Zero Akane is shown in this game since these games are based around her

stupei

I would probably put Lotus at the very top if she was given just a bit more character development. I feel like they had a lot of things they could of delved into, but she kinda got brushed to the side a bit towards the end of the game.

I appreciated her behavior during the actual nonary game the best. Very logical and intuitive.

Yeah, as a character Snake is better but I also feel like Lotus gets a few extra points for being involved in some of the most interesting conversations in the game.

Okay, but question for the thread, since I've mostly been avoiding it to try to keep my anticipation from killing me: has anyone played the 3DS version and commented on the quality of the 3D? I'm still torn between which version to get, but obviously have to make up my mind very soon.

edit: While playing I thought there was a good chance Lotus would turn out to
either have unknowingly been helping improve the security for the people who would eventually abduct her, or deliberately tracking these people down as revenge for her children. Both made sense to me given her knowledge of a lot of the systems and her capacity for handling the puzzles.
(Really just speculation, but spoilered since some people early in the thread had suggested they didn't play 999. I know they probably bailed out by now, but just in case?)

Hmm, I can't find the page I read before about Lotus. It's possible I'm misremembering some things, but I still think even with just the in-game background info on her, there was more they could of built up.

UberTag

Hopefully Zero Akane is shown in this game since these games are based around her
It would be an outright travesty if that wasn't the case.

(no VLM spoilers here... I haven't played the game... just spec based on 999 spoilers)

You can't just rebrand the series Zero Escape, have the creator infer that Akane & Aoi have to "prepare for the larger thing she had planned" in the 999 Answers interview and then NOT incorporate her into a sequel that features an A.I. character named Zero III.

Now I don't expect her to be pulling Zero III's strings directly. That would be too obvious. But she's got a clear role here we need to see play out. And Junpei isn't around (right?) so she shouldn't need to mask her intentions, either. In other words, we should be expecting some Zero Akane goodness.

I include the (right?) up there because who the hell knows who's hiding inside the K armor. I'm surmising logically it's going to be someone we already know.

Busaiku

I include the (right?) up there because who the hell knows who's hiding inside the K armor. I'm surmising logically it's going to be someone we already know.[/spoiler]

It's gotta be Ace, this is his redemption game.
I'm actually not entirely not serious about that speculation of mine.

Busaiku

Really don't wanna check out any media for the game, so I'm wondering...
Since they're using models now, do characters ctually move around and interact with the environment?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, but question for the thread, since I've mostly been avoiding it to try to keep my anticipation from killing me: has anyone played the 3DS version and commented on the quality of the 3D? I'm still torn between which version to get, but obviously have to make up my mind very soon.
Played the JP demo and the 3D was great. I had it on the whole time whereas I usually always play in 2D

My personal opinion though is that vita w/ capacitive stylus > 3ds > vita w/o capacitive stylus. Main reason being that vita w/ stylus pretty much plays like 999 on 3ds - you look at and directly touch a clear crisp screen during escape sequences. The 3ds version has this annoying scan line filter on the bottom screen where you do all the interaction, so you either have to look back and forth between the top and bottom screen or just stare at an obscured lower screen the whole time while you're doing puzzles.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh. Clover is the Chie of the series ;_;
iirc, the Japanese poll results were:

Clover > June > Lotus > Snake > Santa > Junpei > Ace > Seven > 9th Man

I don't get the fascination with Clover either outside of perhaps (999 axe ending spoilers)
the fact that she's unstable. Also, she's female.

Thoraxes

I don't get the fascination with Clover either outside of perhaps (999 axe ending spoilers)

Hopes and love of yandere tendencies that could somehow be brought to a relationship sell her good.

Cheska

lol, she's not that bad

I guess we'll have to see after most of us have played through VLR but I have a feeling she's going to be at the top of the poll again since she's a recurring character and people tend to favor those the most.

Esura

Banned
It would be an outright travesty if that wasn't the case.

(no VLM spoilers here... I haven't played the game... just spec based on 999 spoilers)

You can't just rebrand the series Zero Escape, have the creator infer that Akane & Aoi have to "prepare for the larger thing she had planned" in the 999 Answers interview and then NOT incorporate her into a sequel that features an A.I. character named Zero III.

Now I don't expect her to be pulling Zero III's strings directly. That would be too obvious. But she's got a clear role here we need to see play out. And Junpei isn't around (right?) so she shouldn't need to mask her intentions, either. In other words, we should be expecting some Zero Akane goodness.

I include the (right?) up there because who the hell knows who's hiding inside the K armor. I'm surmising logically it's going to be someone we already know.

I feel ya.

The creator also mentions how Akane is not only a freaking millionaire but she has an organization full of people working for her and to do her bidding. The potential for a character with that much power is crazy. I'm expecting great things from her.

I couldn't even make a decent guess on who K is. But I'm positive its someone from 999 too.

Ugh. Clover is the Chie of the series ;_;

Funny that. Clover is one of the best....like Chie (huge Chie fan here). :p

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
She's also a loli, or close to it, or something.
18? No way.
You talking about clover? Then she is definitely 18
in 999 it ess explicitly stated she participated in the 1st nonary games when she was 9 years old, and took part in the 2nd game 9 years later

Busaiku

I can buy like 15 sure, but the way she acts and looks definitely makes me think it was a change during localization.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I can buy like 15 sure, but the way she acts and looks definitely makes me think it was a change during localization.
I can't think of a reason why they would do that. I don't recall anything of a sexual nature occurring with her.

Busaiku

Ok, fine, whatever.
I can't think of a reason why they would do that. I don't recall anything of a sexual nature occurring with her.

I can easily see it, as she dies horrible deaths and deals the most horrible deaths.
So bad that even Japan wanted to be safe!

PKrockin

None of the characters' ages were modified during localization :)

She's 18 in the Japanese version too~

Your avatar coupled with the cutesy smilies and tildes scares me a little.

I enjoyed 999, so I'm looking forward to picking this up when I get the chance.

Top Bottom