• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

UberTag

That's right, folks. The first non-reviewer to nab a PSV copy of VLR does not even own a Vita and can't play it.
KuGsj.gif

My Gamestop told me to call back tomorrow. :( From calling several other stores, I have also learned that this has the worst title to ever articulate to people over the phone!

Roto13

Preferred game store doesn't have it today. :( But they do expect to have it tomorrow, so that'll do. Considering how much trouble I had tracking down a copy of 999 locally, I'm glad I'll only have to wait a day after ship day and not like three months.

If the 3DS version was out digitally I'd probably buy it that way.

Fat Goron

To those who already played.... is there any way to avoid the true ending before you get all the other 23 (without having to check one of those flowcharts)?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looked at the my preorder today, and it says I am getting the watch. I'm excited and all, but I hardly think it's fair, considering others preordered at the same time, or just a little earlier, and aren't getting one. That kinda sucks. :(

That said, I missed out on the watch for 999 due to a preorder snafu, so I suppose this is just karma.

Koroviev

Wow, that was one panicky GS associate.

Me: "Oh, that's okay."
Associate: "You know, especially with these niche games, you really need to reserve a copy. *SALES PITCH*"
Me: "Yeah, I know. I have another game reserved. I get it."
Associate: "YOU DON'T HAVE THAT GAME RESERVED. YOU DID NOT RESERVE IT HERE"
Me: "Yeah...I was talking about another game."
Associate: "No, I mean really, there is not a single GameStop that has that game, and we aren't getting any."
Me: "It's fine, don't worry about it. I'll just buy it on PSN."
Associate: "Good luck with that. THERE ARE NO PHYSICAL COPIES DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"
Me: "Yes, um...I'm buying it digitally. It's okay."

I did not mean to give this associate a heart attack. (._. )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just called one of the EB Games here in Waterloo, ON. They haven't received shipment of Virtue's Last Reward yet, but they expect it tomorrow or Thursday. Canadian customs why you suck :(
Ah, I was going to call my local one in the GTA, but I can wait until Wed/Thurs. Thank you.

In a way I'm glad because we usually have to wait a week or two for Aksys's games to come out here. This is actually fast this time around.

Woo! My copy shipped today. I was expecting to get it Friday, but the estimated delivery is Thursday.

I might fail my Trigonometry test :D
This is why I'm glad we're getting it on Wed/Thurs, tbh. Had an exam yesterday, had a clinical / practical today, have an exam Thurs, have an easy peasy quiz on Friday.

Yep.

You'll be fine for trig if you practice, practice, practice. SOHCAHTOA.

d0c_zaius

why is aksys delivery of games to stores always like a day or two behind everyone else, or stores never get their games in...

any info as to the size of the download version?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Going to try my luck finding the 3DS version today.

Surprisingly, my hunt for the original 999 was painfully easy...it was actually over a year after it was released, and it caught my eye in Gamestop and they had plenty of copies, so I just picked it up. Pretty sure they still have some on the shelf.

Belisarius

Neo Member
why is aksys delivery of games to stores always like a day or two behind everyone else, or stores never get their games in...

any info as to the size of the download version?

I posted about the delay earlier:

Yeah, because it has to physically get from one place to another. Games from other companies with release date delivery have already been shipped to retailers prior to their release date, so Amazon or whoever has them on had to ship out immediately. We don't do that: We ship out to retailers on our ship date—the "release" date of the 23rd—so Amazon doesn't have them on hand to ship out immediately. Because of the way game releases are looked at, the 23rd is considered to be our release date for purposes of things like the PSN release, announcements, etc, but nobody will actually be getting it on that date.

It is a little confusing, I understand. :)
The short version is:
-Physical copy, you won't be able to get it on the 23rd.
-Digital copy, you'll be able to get it on the 23rd.

GameStop stores (that ordered it) should have it in stock today, but that's not a guarantee.

The download should be a little over a gig and a half.

Just picked up my copy from Gamestop. For those of you going there, they're not getting it in until today and really only if someone preordered. So wait until the afternoon when they've checked in today's shipment.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just picked up my copy from Gamestop. For those of you going there, they're not getting it in until today and really only if someone preordered. So wait until the afternoon when they've checked in today's shipment.

Glad someone else got it. Was staring to feel a bit guilty. ;~;

Korigama

You can't even get the true ending without having all of the other endings.
Hm, I like this. Kind of bugged me when people would occasionally just skip all of the other endings in 999 for just two, taking away much of the impact it would have had on them otherwise.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm getting my review finished up right now, and it's going to be short—and I typically write 2,000+ word reviews.

I think that's a fine length for a review. I just hate when big releases get 10k words, and then another, equally deserving but lower budget title gets 1500. It's unfair, and shows bias.

Pharros

Just checked my local EB here in Canada, apparently they received a store wide email that the game is stuck at the border. Not sure if this is old news but yeah, disappointing to say the least. I feel like we got the crap end of everything regarding this game... But the good side to this is that they expect it around the end of the week. So I am crossing my fingers.

Volcynika

The OP will be updated tonight, I will be adding all the available reviews. (Would be more of a hassle to update it every time a new one comes out).

mollipen

I think that's a fine length for a review. I just hate when big releases get 10k words, and then another, equally deserving but lower budget title gets 1500. It's unfair, and shows bias.

Those 2,000+ word reviews I mentioned are typically obscure games from Japan. *laughs* But yeah, I know what you're saying—some outlets noticeably put more effort into the BLOCKBUSTER TITLES and put much less effort into those wacky Japanese games.

atomsk

Party Pooper
You know, I've never had a problem reserving niche games at gamestop before, and it's usually how I get rid of these gift cards I get every few months...

But fuck that, I'm done.

How the fuck you do get in ONE reserved copy, and then GUT IT AND PUT IT ON THE SHELF.

If it wasn't for these gift cards, there would have been some magazine rack tipping for sure.

Fuck gamestop.

Better believe I'm filling out your feedback survey now.

Sorry for the derail.

UberTag

Hm, I like this. Kind of bugged me when people would occasionally just skip all of the other endings in 999 for just two, taking away much of the impact it would have had on them otherwise.
Fully agreed on this.

I guess my question to Kagari on this subject is whether she would recommend playing through the game's assorted branching paths/endings in a specific order in order to maximize the impact of certain plot revelations.

I tackled 999 with a playthrough order of Axe -> Knife -> Sub -> Safe -> True and would probably not have enjoyed myself as much had I tackled the endings in a different order.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fully agreed on this.

I guess my question to Kagari on this subject is whether she would recommend playing through the game's assorted branching paths/endings in a specific order in order to maximize the impact of certain plot revelations.

I tackled 999 with a playthrough order of Axe -> Knife -> Sub -> Safe -> True and would probably not have enjoyed myself as much had I tackled the endings in a different order.

I went in completely blind as far as choices go. It seems to be set up to where you can't get the big reveals without first finishing some of the more minor paths anyway. It's definitely not like 999 where Axe -> Knife -> Sub -> Safe - True end was the ideal way to go.

VLR is a much bigger beast in that there is more than just one facet to each ending leading up to the true and "other" endings.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I went in completely blind as far as choices go. It seems to be set up to where you can't get the big reveals without first finishing some of the more minor paths anyway. It's definitely not like 999 where Axe -> Knife -> Sub -> Safe - True end was the ideal way to go.

Darn you getting a review copy! I thought we could both burn through the game at the same time like 999.

thetrin

Those 2,000+ word reviews I mentioned are typically obscure games from Japan. *laughs* But yeah, I know what you're saying—some outlets noticeably put more effort into the BLOCKBUSTER TITLES and put much less effort into those wacky Japanese games.

The difference is, I trust that you actually put effort into your reviews of obscure Japanese games.

Top Bottom