• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. The VLR game app just crashed on Vita for some reason.

Well, thank goodness I'd saved prior to, but there isn't explanation why. Someone else experienced this earlier in the thread, iirc. It was right after I got a bad end and after loading the save I created.

Edit: Dio's Ending.

Predictable. Dio's asshattery made it obvious.

kiryogi

Banned
Hm. The VLR game app just crashed on Vita for some reason.

Well, thank goodness I'd saved prior to, but there isn't explaination why. Someone else experienced this earlier in the thread, iirc. It was right after I got a bad end and after loading the save I created.

Edit: Dio's Ending.

Predictable. Dio's asshattery made it obvious.

According to reports, the Vita version crashes as well, but no known save corruption.

K's Ending =
My mind is full of fuck

Clover's ending =
I was starting to wonder if this game was even remotely close to how graphic 999 was. Well, this is definitely one step of the way there. What the hell

Omikaru

Still trying to avoid spoilers for the life of me, so I won't trudge through the black bars to see if anyone has posted this, but Virtue's Last Reward is now the highest critically acclaimed PS Vita game to be released. It's also the only Vita game to currently hold a Metascore in the 90s. And if the same Metascore were applied to the DS version (currently no reviews assigned to that version), then it would be joint 3rd highest-rated 3DS game, alongside Super Mario 3D Land and Pushmo.

I know some of you guys don't like Metacritic, and I don't particularly either, but it's nice to see the game getting universal praise. Personally, I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure, but if it's anywhere near as good as 999, this is a much-deserved status.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kiryogi said:
According to reports, the Vita version crashes as well, but no known save corruption.
Well, that's a bit of a relief. I almost had a heart attack (figuratively speaking).

Alice Ending:
Well that was hopeless. Dio's still a massive tool. I ended up liking Alice a lot more on this path, though. Not a bad path at all.

Edit:

Sigma Ending: What the flying fluck?
What. What the heck just happened? So, Sigma's part robot or something? And Luna's all weird and creepy and acting like she's working for someone?

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Edit2: Quark Ending:
Well now I have even more questions now that I'm putting two and two together!

oh my would you look at the time i should be asleep...

SmithnCo

Gone through two paths, great experience so far. I love that you can skip through the flow, which fixes the one problem I had with 999.

Necrovex

Gone through two paths, great experience so far. I love that you can skip through the flow, which fixes the one problem I had with 999.

That was my biggest issue with 999. I am really happy that is fixed now, it makes getting everything so much easier and better.

Concerned about the lack of 3DS specific reviews.

Easy to explain. Aksys isnt a big company. So they sent the easiest thing to send:
Vita version, but download version. You can easily mail a download code. But a review copy ? You have to send it, it cost money, you have to print cartridge etc...

So, stuck in the
Q room still, on that freaking dice puzzle. I've correctly placed the dice twice, but no dice. I don't know what the overhead orientation needs to be, and this is easily the most frustrating one in the damn room. Help?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Location and puzzle spoiler help at the leftmost branch.

I'm at the Security Room and got the two hourglasses, saw the words on the steps when you turn off your lights, and turned on all the monitor switches. What do I do next? I only noticed the bookcase with the hexagonal stuff.

Qblivion

Location and puzzle spoiler help at the leftmost branch.

I'm at the Security Room and got the two hourglasses, saw the words on the steps when you turn off your lights, and turned on all the monitor switches. What do I do next? I only noticed the bookcase with the hexagonal stuff.

Check the small monitors in front of the three chairs

Busaiku

What the heck do I do in the Crew Quarters?
I opened all the lockers, except for the one in room 01, and I put the cassette in the phone in room 3, what the heck do I do?

Eusis

What the heck do I do in the Crew Quarters?
I opened all the lockers, except for the one in room 01, and I put the cassette in the phone in room 3, what the heck do I do?
Try using the top four buttons on the phone in Room 1.

Roto13

This game could use more pseudoscience and philosophy. :p 999 had stuff like the crystallization of glycerin, based on semi-true stories, or Locke's Socks. Not enough of that in Virtue's Last Reward.

Letep

Easy to explain. Aksys isnt a big company. So they sent the easiest thing to send:
Vita version, but download version. You can easily mail a download code. But a review copy ? You have to send it, it cost money, you have to print cartridge etc...

Good call. I just came here to post something similar.

I am struggling with the idea of having returned the Vita version, but I'd like to keep the continuity of 999 & this on a Nintendo system.

Eusis

Good call. I just came here to post something similar.

I am struggling with the idea of having returned the Vita version, but I'd like to keep the continuity of 999 & this on a Nintendo system.
If I knew about the issues beforehand I'd have just grabbed it for Vita then bought the 3DS version for cheap later to fulfill that purpose. Ah well, just have to hope I don't screw it up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Completely finished the game just now and it's easily in my top 5 of all time. Probably the game with the best story and characters I ever played.

I hope the creator will answer all questions about the game like he did for 999. While I understood the story, there are still some things I'd like to know in greater detail.
I don't think I've ever sacrificed sleep as much as I did for this game. And even after I finished, it's still been on my mind for days.

vladdamad

OK, so while I wait for this to come out in Europe, I think I might have a go at Ever17. I've heard that the plot is similar to 999, but how similar is it? Don't want to go into it being able to guess all the twists

MechaX

I don't think I've ever sacrificed sleep as much as I did for this game. And even after I finished, it's still been on my mind for days.

Well, I guess that bodes well for me. I have had the game since Thursday but have not gotten around to playing it yet. But since I'm done with the Dark Souls DLC, all bets are off.

Hell, 999 made me sacrifice a tremendous amount of sleep because I was in a perpetual loop of "I'll stop and go to sleep no- OH SHIT SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENED CAN'T QUIT NOW MUST SEE WHERE THIS GOES."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, I guess that bodes well for me. I have had the game since Thursday but have not gotten around to playing it yet. But since I'm done with the Dark Souls DLC, all bets are off.

Hell, 999 made me sacrifice a tremendous amount of sleep because I was in a perpetual loop of "I'll stop and go to sleep no- OH SHIT SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENED CAN'T QUIT NOW MUST SEE WHERE THIS GOES."
Exactly. I just had to know what was going to happen next. VLR has so much more reading than 999 too so that didn't make trying to blaze through any easier.

Finally fixed the angle of that last puzzle... and finished the game. I echo Kagari's sacrifice of sleep for this game. And wow was it worth it. I... just need time to take it all in. o.o

Esura

Banned
This game could use more pseudoscience and philosophy. :p 999 had stuff like the crystallization of glycerin, based on semi-true stories, or Locke's Socks. Not enough of that in Virtue's Last Reward.

They talk about Schrodinger's Cat and different types of drugs and stuff.

Btw, ot but I want to ask. Your name is from the first Dragon Quest correct?

Esura

Banned
Game is taking a turn for the...intriguing for me. Got four endings so far.

Ugh, I want the true end so bad. Feels like Lost...just got me hooked like a mug.

Clover sucks in this game though. :( Throwing my Clover fan card away.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Use the passwords you saw on the stairs on those computers.

Now I feel stupid. Thanks. I thought you need to complete all 12.

Esura

Banned
Yeah, Clover is kind of ruined by her dumbass redesign and voice.

Nope. :p

Actually, that's not why I dislike her now. Long story short,
her and Alice are some straight up untrustworthy dicks. At least in 999 Clover had the excuse of her thinking her brother died that caused her to go all cold and insane. This game does a good job of making me not liking many of the characters sans Phi, Luna and Quark, which I think was the point with the whole Good People Die slogan and all that.

And is your name from a DQ at all? I swear I saw that name Roto before in a game....

Roto13

Actually, that's not why I dislike her now. Long story short,
her and Alice are some straight up untrustworthy dicks. At least in 999 Clover had the excuse of her thinking her brother died that caused her to go all cold and insane. This game does a good job of making me not liking many of the characters sans Phi, Luna and Quark, which I think was the point with the whole Good People Die slogan and all that.

And is your name from a DQ at all? I swear I saw that name Roto before in a game....

There is a Roto/Loto in Dragon Quest but I didn't know that until long after I picked this screen name.

Qblivion

Need help with (what I presume to be) Alice's end.

The game told me to memorize the string of numbers, so I wrote that down, but I do not remember it telling me that I also need to remember the string of letters. They aren't in the archive and I can't back out to ask Alice, or even jump back to the flowchart. Unless I were to get help on the internet I would basically have to reload my last save and I have no idea how far back that goes.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Oh you'll get enough pseudoscience alright ;)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Need help with (what I presume to be) Alice's end.

The game told me to memorize the string of numbers, so I wrote that down, but I do not remember it telling me that I also need to remember the string of letters. They aren't in the archive and I can't back out to ask Alice, or even jump back to the flowchart. Unless I were to get help on the internet I would basically have to reload my last save and I have no idea how far back that goes.
You should be able to go back to any place you already visited on the flowchart.

Esura

Banned
There is a Roto/Loto in Dragon Quest but I didn't know that until long after I picked this screen name.

Oh, so pure coincidence, like my username. Thought my name was unique (switched out the "n" in the FF spell Esuna with an "r" when I was younger) until someone told me it was a common Asian name......sigh....

Top Bottom