• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You can play VLR without having played 999 actually since the game will recap about 999. It's just that you'll miss a good and hefty backstory.

Eusis

-
I think someone is actually a GAULEM. What GOLM mentioned before he was turned off was that there were things for Gaulems that could have humanlike skin and hair and such. I think it's K or the dead old woman.
It's going to take a lot of jumping to get the answer to that one, though hints may be dropped in the meantime.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those who want a Vita wallpaper or something.

9GMiW.jpg

This is easy to capture though, just press START + PS button once you launch VLR in your Vita. :p

FSLink

Banned
You don't have to play it. As a non ds owner, I just watched a let's play. You don't lose much of the story at all, after all, it IS a visual novel.

Yeah, I only said that if you're interested in the series at all, play 999 first. It's not a requirement, but if you have the means to play it first, definitely do so. It's more satisfying going through your own routes and stuff than just watching a Let's Play.

Eusis

Yeah, I only said that if you're interested in the series at all, play 999 first. It's not a requirement, but if you have the means to play it first, definitely do so. It's more satisfying going through your own routes and stuff than just watching a Let's Play.
And if you want to rush, well,
look up a chart for the ending routes and follow the Safe route first, than the True route. The bad endings are probably better seen in large part before Safe, and I feel like reaching coffin, then safe, THEN going to true is a bit more dramatic, but that can be awfully repetitive.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why... not?

I feel like "Why... not?" is sort of the name of the game in VLR. Made it about through half of all the different story lines so far. Still missing major plot elements, but so far I enjoyed the story and psychological reasoning of 999 a tad more than the primal instinct of "betraying everyone, survival comes first" of VLR.

ULTROS!

For some reason, it's really hard to
betray Luna. I mean look at her and her demeanor. ;_;

Midou

So I just got to the final puzzle the
Q room, and I get how it works, but am I missing something in how to keep track of it? The only way I see now is with piles of graph paper... I wish it would just stay open, it doesn't seem like it would make the puzzle harder, it just seems more tedious to tap and write down so I can use them later. I assume I must have missed something then..

Any tips would be appreciated. In truth I have not really fiddled with it too much, I just can't see how to.. go about it correctly.

Eusis

So I just got to the final puzzle the
Q room, and I get how it works, but am I missing something in how to keep track of it? The only way I see now is with piles of graph paper... I wish it would just stay open, it doesn't seem like it would make the puzzle harder, it just seems more tedious to tap and write down so I can use them later. I assume I must have missed something then..

Any tips would be appreciated.
If you don't want to experiment/keep track:

A = Betray
B = Ally
C = Mirror
D = Ally
E = Betray

Also, "six cooperators" include US, so you just need four of the others to reach 9 or higher.

Theory time: I've done some of the magenta, getting stuck at the usual TO BE CONTINUED places. I did Dio's route. And now I did the Cyan path and got to the Director's Room.

DIRECTOR'S ROOM SPOILERS:

Tenymoldy has a picture of Akane. Now either two people happened to have Akane as a first love and followed her to the ends of the Earth, or Teny is somehow Junpei. This reminded me about the old woman, and then I realized her dress is EXACTLY the same thing Akane wore. Now Teny was awfully upset when he saw the dead old woman, so they obviously have some relationship. Predicting it now: Tenny is a rapid aged Junpei. The dead old woman is likewise a rapid aged Akane. And this is just a fun guess: K is Santa. How they rapidly aged I don't know. Clover didn't rapid age. But whatever, I'll figure this out later.

Also someone is definitely a GOLEM. My guess is either Phi, or K (if he isnt Santa).

Oh and doctors seem absolutely useless in this universe. The ADAM scanner does everything for you.

Eusis

That information does not seem relevant to this puzzle, as far as I can see. Perhaps I did not mean the real last puzzle then..
Uhh, whoops then. Well, here's a bit of information that may help there:

You'll be rewarded with each portion done, and you can always look at the log to see what was said. And only one of them's really complicated, most of them are lines along the sides. Also each side of the cube directly correlates to the wall you're facing, so you don't need to move around to complete it. That "East is west" stuff confused me initially.
Theory time: I've done some of the magenta, getting stuck at the usual TO BE CONTINUED places. I did Dio's route. And now I did the Cyan path and got to the Director's Room.

DIRECTOR'S ROOM SPOILERS:

Tenymoldy has a picture of Akane. Now either two people happened to have Akane as a first love and followed her to the ends of the Earth, or Teny is somehow Junpei. This reminded me about the old woman, and then I realized her dress is EXACTLY the same thing Akane wore. Now Teny was awfully upset when he saw the dead old woman, so they obviously have some relationship. Predicting it now: Tenny is a rapid aged Junpei. The dead old woman is likewise a rapid aged Akane. And this is just a fun guess: K is Santa. How they rapidly aged I don't know. Clover didn't rapid age. But whatever, I'll figure this out later.
Well, you should be close to an ending that helps clarify this. But yeah:
I was thinking it was either that, time travel... or the simpler, more obvious alternative that I was kind of dreading, with the last two more plausible to me.

lol wtf, I was taking the path on the flowchart all the way on the left as my first ending because
it looked shortest and I want to get the bad endings out of the way first, then all of a sudden it doubled in size as I got to the last part. Do I want to keep going here now? Don't wanna unlock the true ending too early...

Eusis

lol wtf, I was taking the path on the flowchart all the way on the left as my first ending because
it looked shortest and I want to get the bad endings out of the way first, then all of a sudden it doubled in size as I got to the last part. Do I want to keep going here now? Don't wanna unlock the true ending too early...
Well, you need to poke around more anyway, so don't worry about continuing it. And if you're curious on whether or not that leads to the true ending:
No, it doesn't. And you won't be seeing the true ending until you milk everything or nearly everything else anyway.

Violet_0

Banned
alright, so I had no idea what this game was about, saw the high review scores, watched the trailer, and now I want to play it. But since I don't own a 3DS or Vita, I'm now strongly considering buying it as a present for my brother (who has a 3DS) for Xmas - and then playing it.

How is 999? I was thinking about getting both games, if it still holds up.

So I think I ran into a bug. I'm in the archive files and well I can't back out. I can't even touch the memo pad. I thought it was my 3DS at first but when I pressed the home button then resume it worked so it's not the touch screen. Arrows won't work on the touch screen atlease.

alright, so I had no idea what this game was about, saw the high review scores, watched the trailer, and now I want to play it. But since I don't own a 3DS or Vita, I'm now strongly considering buying it as a present for my brother (who has a 3DS) for Xmas - and then playing it.

You needa play 999 first. I just played it for the first time a few weeks ago and it became one of my favorite games ever.

Necrovex

It was a fantastic game when it came out, and it is still a superb game. The only problem with it is going through the puzzles again to get all of the endings. However, walkthroughs will make those puzzles bearable when visting subsequent times.

There are a lot of references of 999 in VLR, so I really recommend playing 999 before VLR. I would say it is very important to play in that order.

Tenmyoiji ending spoilers:

It better be explained if Teny actually is Junpei, and if so how the fuck did he age up so much. If the game doesn't explain it then I'll be really mad.

Eusis

good.

Also fuck Dio. Really, just FUCK DIO. They should make a mini-game where you can just beat the life out of him.
I love how
that didn't need to be spoilered. I was kinda hoping they'd throw a curve ball and he really was only being an asshole because he was freaking out over his predicament, instead unlike Ace he seriously has no idea how to act like a decent human being.

I love how that didn't need to be spoilered.

I didn't spoiler tag it because Dio acts like an asshole in every route, from the very first line given to him.

hehehehhe

The last guy I fought went home in an ambulance!

Guess you shouldn't have picked a fight with a paramedic.

Dammit.... I thought I could keep it just one segment a day, but here I am, 3.5 hours into the game (first day playing) and I'm loving every second of it! ^.^ Ugh... It's soooooo good!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I love how
that didn't need to be spoilered. I was kinda hoping they'd throw a curve ball and he really was only being an asshole because he was freaking out over his predicament, instead unlike Ace he seriously has no idea how to act like a decent human being.

Spoiler for Dio's Ending
Makes sense...after all, he's apparently got no personality of his own (being a clone)...except for the hint that he actually formed a relationship with a woman at some point, but that relationship was promptly cut off and punished by Brother.

I thought that was a minor bit of explanation for his character...

Venfayth

Spoiler for Dio's Ending
Makes sense...after all, he's apparently got no personality of his own (being a clone)...except for the hint that he actually formed a relationship with a woman at some point, but that relationship was promptly cut off and punished by Brother.

I thought that was a minor bit of explanation for his character...

Dio is a very simple character, IMO. Once you know his goal and his true identity, everything he does makes perfect sense.

Also, he did mention that all the clones have slightly unique personalities, and that he is the "best" of them.

All right guys. Going to dive into this tonight when I inevitably lose power for the hurricane.

My question (checked the OP, last few pages, didn't see anything) is if there is any type of specifics I need to complete in order to get the true ending, ala 999? As in, do I need to reach certain types of endings first? Complete mandatory "story check points"? I used a non spoiler flowchart for 999 and that was great. Is something similar at work here?

Venfayth

All right guys. Going to dive into this tonight when I inevitably lose power for the hurricane.

My question (checked the OP, last few pages, didn't see anything) is if there is any type of specifics I need to complete in order to get the true ending, ala 999? As in, do I need to reach certain types of endings first? Complete mandatory "story check points"? I used a non spoiler flowchart for 999 and that was great. Is something similar at work here?

You do not have to worry about any of that. The only thing I'll say is that if you don't want to have to go back to any of the rooms (which, by the way, is INCREDIBLY easy and convenient in this game) then you should do your best to finish each puzzle without lowering the difficulty.

Top Bottom