• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward |OT| -- More Hours, More Persons, More Doors

Jintor

Yeah, I'm going back over it right now. I really regret sometimes I can't wipe my memories of a piece of media and start over fresh, but I suspect if I did that I'd just read/play the same damn things over and over again.

Jintor

Like someone mentions in the spoiler thread, the focus of the story is different here, so some might not find it quite as amazing as 999.

Like someone mentions in the spoiler thread, the focus of the story is different here, so some might not find it quite as amazing as 999.
And alternatively, I've seen a lot of people say they prefer VLR to 999.

Personally, with a series like this, I don't even see them as separate entities. Just a continuation, and I'm ready for more.

Eusis

And it may well be that
we'll need to see Zero Escape 3 to make 2 awesome in retrospect
. As a standalone game 999 definitely has the better story though.

EDIT: Blocked off a part of that message... but I may be paranoid.

Jintor

I like both of them roughly equally for different reasons, but you are a fool if you play VLR without true-ending 999.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So far I like the story more in VLR, but mostly because it's totally insane. Poignant stories are nice and all, but batshit insanity and quantum physics are more my bag.

Jintor

Also: next time around, I'm totally fucking getting a bracelet, even if Amazon tries to fucking swindle me out of it again. Motherfuckers. I preordered like four months ago.

Torraz

So far, after around 6-7 hours in, I find 999 to be more "theorycraftable". The different number combinations needed to open the doors provided some very welcome breeding grounds for the "who dunnit" theories that were (re)developed while playing through the game.

:edit: Perhaps that is only because [999 beginning spoilers]
that one guy immediately dies in the beginning which sets a different mood as VLR from the outset

Venfayth

So far I like the story more in VLR, but mostly because it's totally insane. Poignant stories are nice and all, but batshit insanity and quantum physics are more my bag.

I like VLR's story more as well. There are more .. logical gaps you have to cross, but that leaves more room for my creativity.

For better or for worse!

Also: next time around, I'm totally fucking getting a bracelet, even if Amazon tries to fucking swindle me out of it again. Motherfuckers. I preordered like four months ago.

I paid a stupid amount of money for one after realizing they existed (I honestly forgot about this game until a day after it came out)

You might still be able to get one for a decent amount in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Jintor

I don't have the money anymore :T

I've been thinking about it, and I kind of feel that 999's story folds in on itself a lot nicer than VLR's, but VLR's is
way crazier and broader in scope so it roughly evens out

AniHawk

So far, after around 6-7 hours in, I find 999 to be more "theorycraftable". The different number combinations needed to open the doors provided some very welcome breeding grounds for the "who dunnit" theories that were (re)developed while playing through the game.

:edit: Perhaps that is only because [999 beginning spoilers]
that one guy immediately dies in the beginning which sets a different mood as VLR from the outset

everyone feels a lot less invincible in 999 too

the more i think back on it, the more i'm disappointed by vlr's story, but specifically in the way it ruins 999's story.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I just want to say this: playing this game as a partially color blind guy is a massive pain in the ass, especially during several color-specific puzzles.

I just want to say this: playing this game as a partially color blind guy is a massive pain in the ass, especially during several color-specific puzzles.
The last puzzle room may give you some problems. It may of just been because I was playing on 3DS, but one element of that room is really poorly colored, and it affects a lot of the mechanics of the room.

Leeness

Just finished.

...so the third game is coming out tomorrow, right?

...Right?

also, that ABCDE time jumping was just incomprehensible to be for a bit. I was like...I see what you're saying but I can't even fathom this shit, Akane. Cool though... All I know is Sigma and Phi are swapping around to eventually get where they need to be haha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The last puzzle room may give you some problems. It may of just been because I was playing on 3DS, but one element of that room is really poorly colored, and it affects a lot of the mechanics of the room.

I have difficulties in differentiating between green and red in this game, as is purple and blue. The color puzzle in IIRC
Director's Office and B Garden
kicked my ass so bad, hahaha.

Oh, the PEC room too... I imagine people without the impairment can solve them a lot easier than me. Thankfully the game only crashed once there... it made my journey through that room very tense!

A question to you guys, maybe you folks know: it is common knowledge not to save in the puzzle rooms for the 3DS version right? Is that only during the escape section only? Is it okay to save in, say, PEC room before "SEEK THE WAY OUT" or after "YOU FOUND IT"?

Torraz

everyone feels a lot less invincible in 999 too

the more i think back on it, the more i'm disappointed by vlr's story, but specifically in the way it ruins 999's story.

Two more points I just thought of is that

a)
in this game Zero is a lot more omnipresent, than the mysterious, more phantom-like, Zero of 999

b)
Door 9 is shown in the beginning. In 999 door 9 was almost a mystical construct where the player was not even sure if it existed until the very end of only a few of the paths

But, enough whining. Continuing the game now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
VLR has a lot of the characters waiting around for stuff to happen, so at times the narrative feels like it's not going anywhere. The purpose in 999 was always in mind, and it felt like the different parties were really going in a race against time. It's a sense of urgency that's seriously missing from the sequel because it doesn't seem like your life is actually danger at any given moment.

AniHawk

VLR has a lot of the characters waiting around for stuff to happen, so at times the narrative feels like it's not going anywhere. The purpose in 999 was always in mind, and it felt like the different parties were really going in a race against time. It's a sense of urgency that's seriously missing from the sequel because it doesn't feel like your life is actually danger at any given moment.

yeah. and considering the sense of urgency is what
activates the morphofield, well, it diminishes the effect of akane accessing it in 999

Jintor

I don't think that's true...
Sigma and Phi are being boosted, and the developers of this Nonary game know more about morphogenetic field theory, so it stands to reason they'd have an easier time of it than the first untested paradox-fulfilment

Jintor

That's Sigma and Quark's endings down, and just two ending spots left.

So Sigma has cyernetic arms. Somehow, this isn't so surprising. I wonder if K was cloned from Sigma's original arms.

There's also finally a confirmation on the old woman's identity, and it fits in with my previous expectations. Not sure why K was willing to knock out Alice in order to choose betray. That seems largely out of line with his actions in other paths.

hahah holy shit, I just realised something re: K

Man I'll have to replay one day to make sure, but no wonder K's voting choices are a bit more difficult to decipher in Alice's third of the game

i prefer 999

999 is the better story (by a lot).

vlr is the better video game (...by a lot).

my final thoughts, as well. vlr is a very entertaining, completely over-the-top mindfuck, but 999 somehow managed to do more with less, & had much more of an emotional impact...

My brain is on the verge of exploding...what in the hell is going on? So much to take in! So much to remember!

I’m doing the left most path and just made it to the Security Room. What the hell did
that robot mean when saying something about “the middle”?
What the hell is up with
that message in Warehouse B?
Why does
‘ninth’ have an ‘e’ in it?
What the hell was up with that whole
AB room switching thing only to find Lunar dead after it?
Theory about this:
Lunar is a robot and faked her own death! The poison would not have affected her and no one would be able to pick up a pulse even if she was alive!
What the hell happened to
the key Alice had? (the one that goes into K!)
Why did
K want Sigma and Phi to go through the white chromatic doors and not just leave them behind to die?
What the hell is up with
Tenmyouji and Clover?

WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? WHY!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! So many theories running through my head!

Torraz

I think I could make it to the end of the very left most path after the vita finishes charging again.

I'm getting around 4.5ish (bit less) hours of playtime on one charge. Is that around the norm for you guys?

Just met
---- G-0lm ----
. Not sure what to think. Quite funny, but the tense atmosphere kinda evaporated. Let's see if the game is as good as higurashi/umineko is switching from a merry atmosphere to shit-just-got-real in a split second.

Can't wait until I can play again!

Hylian7

So I'm trying to get the true ending, and I have one though: WAT.

I don't have any new branches on the flowchart to jump through, I did all the puzzle rooms on hard (but don't have all the files, do I need those?). Old Akane told me I can change the past still, but yet there's no time before the disaster, the only thing is that one in 2029 where you're talking to 20-year-old Akane.

I was right about some things. I had a suspicion we were either on the moon or Mars. One of my other theories though, still is kind of ambiguous with all the wibbly wobbly timey shit going on here. I still have a crazy theory about Quark, but I doubt it's true.

My theory is that Dio is Quark's father and Akane is Quark's mother. Why do I think this? Let me refer you to the 999 answers: (From Question 15) Perhaps there were things that happened on that ship that couldn't be shown in the actual game.

Dio/Left is with Free the Soul, which was working with Cradle, so this theory could be possible. However, this would mean that Dio and Quark would BOTH have to have been frozen, and we have no evidence that they were.

Venfayth

So I'm trying to get the true ending, and I have one though: WAT.

I don't have any new branches on the flowchart to jump through, I did all the puzzle rooms on hard (but don't have all the files, do I need those?). Old Akane told me I can change the past still, but yet there's no time before the disaster, the only thing is that one in 2029 where you're talking to 20-year-old Akane.

I was right about some things. I had a suspicion we were either on the moon or Mars. One of my other theories though, still is kind of ambiguous with all the wibbly wobbly timey shit going on here. I still have a crazy theory about Quark, but I doubt it's true.

My theory is that Dio is Quark's father and Akane is Quark's mother. Why do I think this? Let me refer you to the 999 answers: (From Question 15) Perhaps there were things that happened on that ship that couldn't be shown in the actual game.

Dio/Left is with Free the Soul, which was working with Cradle, so this theory could be possible. However, this would mean that Dio and Quark would BOTH have to have been frozen, and we have no evidence that they were.

If you're sure you did everything on hard, there should be a new path down in the VERY BOTTOM RIGHT area. You'll be speaking with a Young Akane

FUCK

I ran into a crash bug on PEC

There's 2 hours of my game gone :( I guess I should save more often, but then I heard this crash sometimes corrupts your save?

Is there any way around it, anybody know anything in particular that triggers it? Mine crashed right when I put the
Zero Jr. Doll
on the stool.

Hylian7

If you're sure you did everything on hard, there should be a new path down in the VERY BOTTOM RIGHT area. You'll be speaking with a Young Akane
Maybe I need to double check that. I didn't think the garden screwed me over, but maybe it did and I didn't realize it.

Lusankya

FUCK

There's 2 hours of my game gone :( I guess I should save more often, but then I heard this crash sometimes corrupts your save?

Is there any way around it, anybody know anything in particular that triggers it? Mine crashed right when I put the
Zero Jr. Doll
on the stool.

Don't save in escape rooms.

FUCK

Zero Jr. Doll
on the stool.

first dont save in that room.

second follow a faq for that room. i have heard that only examining puzzle realted things will not make it crash and it worked.

Torraz

My apologies to those 3-4 people who told me that the ingame flowchart is not nearly as spoilerific as it first seems. I shouldn't have brushed off your comments and believed you as I was only at the beginning of the game.

I thought I was at the end of a route
the most left one, to be exact, and BAM the flow chart exapanded

Damn it, this game is so unbelivably awesome WHEN it is tense. However that's also the main problem so far for me. During too much of the game, at least of the two routes I have seen so far, too much has been a happy-go-lucky mood. The VN and escape room sequences are really different. While the VN scenes can be really tense, this feeling has dissipated, so far, as soon as a puzzle room was entered.

i've just finished the game ( plat trophy )

WAAAAAAOUH
the game was awesome .. really incredible .. it's a shame i was able to guess some of the twists very early ( after ever17 & 9,9,9 you get used to weird things )

WHERE IS ZERO ESCAPE VOLUME 3 !!!

i mean dammit .. they have plenty of things to explain ..so much to show

anyway ..off to the spoiler thread !!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Going through the endgame right now.

UmpOi.gif

I seriously couldn't find a more appropriate gif to describe what I'm going through right now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How the game is made according to Uchikoshi

Link

I laughed at that.
・Sound chief orders BGM/SE (background music and sound effects)→BGM/SE arrives→I say no→Another round of BGM/SE→I say no again →Even more BGM/SE comes in→The music is so beautiful you cry like a baby →OK!
KINDA EASY WHEN YOU REUSE MOST TRACKS FROM THE ORIGINAL GAME HURDURR

JeTmAn81

VLR has a lot of the characters waiting around for stuff to happen, so at times the narrative feels like it's not going anywhere. The purpose in 999 was always in mind, and it felt like the different parties were really going in a race against time. It's a sense of urgency that's seriously missing from the sequel because it doesn't seem like your life is actually danger at any given moment.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm 15 hours in now, and things are finally getting more interesting, but this is seeming like a real step down from 999. If they ever do a third game (the original Nonary game, perhaps?), they'll really need to shake up the premise to keep it from becoming super stale.

Tagg9

Wow, the game is certainly worth the price of admission. I've already played for 30 hours, and I'm not even in the home stretch. One of the longest games I've gone through recently.

thetrin

Alright, I'm stuck, and I need some endgame help: (MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS)

I just finished the Another Time novel section where Kyle talks to Akane. Do I need all the gold files to access 2028 and get the very end, or did I miss something?

I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm 15 hours in now, and things are finally getting more interesting, but this is seeming like a real step down from 999. If they ever do a third game (the original Nonary game, perhaps?), they'll really need to shake up the premise to keep it from becoming super stale.

Considering it's a 40 hour game, you have a lot to see still.

Torraz

I have a question regarding "to be continued"

mild spoiler version
I have received 2 to be continueds. Once the piece, on the flow chart, turned into a lock. However the other time it retained its VN icon. Does this mean that I simply failed a/the puzzle in the case of the symbol where no lock appeared after a "to be continued"?

more spoilers version of same question
To be exact, this happened to me in the left-most path when Phi and Sigma are in the director's office and have to input a user ID and passcode into the PC. After giving up I got a "to be continued", but the events icon did not change to a lock, like happened after another "to be continued".

Wow, the game is certainly worth the price of admission. I've already played for 30 hours, and I'm not even in the home stretch. One of the longest games I've gone through recently.

Semi agree. It is almost like the routes I have seen so far suffer from "trilogy" syndrom where the midpart is a bit boring but the beginning and ending are really exciting.

Top Bottom