• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Elden Ring: Shadow Of The Erdtree’ At ‘Mixed’ Reviews on Steam Because It’s Too Hard

The only boss I think should’ve be tweaked is the final one.

I’m a 36 year old dad with two kids and I’ve soloed it all.

The final boss? There’s no fucking way unless it’s some hyper specific build. It shuts down 99% of anything in the game making it all useless.

It’s beyond dog shit game design. It’s a giant middle finger to all players.

Jesus. Sorry to hear that man. Haven't seen any videos on the final boss but will for sure check out a few on youtube.

Hudo

Trying Not To Laugh Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

Raven117

Those popular builds are still viable. You may just have to switch to a different weapon that provides faster attack times.
Guess we will find out when I get there.

But, I will let not my heart be troubled...Im going to summon the eff out of every boss fight. I know this is blasphemy, but I enjoy picking through hard as nails levels rather than bashing my head against boss fights for hours. I view them as frustrating unfun impediments to my enjoyment of the game.

Sacred

Just took down the
dancing lion
in 5 tries, really loving this DLC so far. Alot of nice secrets if you explore and great enemy variety.

reezoo

My 11 year old defeated Devine Beast Lion without summon, without shield, using only dodge/rolling & great katana. What these guys are talking about?
And he just defeated Messmer, again no summon, no shield, no armour just dodge/rolling & greate katana. If you are feeling down while playing this game just feel down more by thinking that an 11 year old can do it :messenger_tears_of_joy: (cyring inside as I myself stuck at divine beast lion :messenger_loudly_crying:)

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Trying to solo bosses when most of them are designed for co-op. Yet people are complaining it’s too hard. Summon. It’s what the game wants you to do. Not fight solo to disappoint yourself.

Every single boss can be solo'd.

It's just that there are some people who have rushed through the game, done minimal exploration and have arrived at the final boss with half (or less I've seen in some instances) of the scadutree upgrades that are available across the game.

You want hard mode? There's your hard mode.

Last edited:
This is typical for a new From Software release. I remember when Elden Ring was brand new and we knew nothing about Malenia yet. But still people were so pissed off because Margit and the Tree Sentinel were such bullshit and the game wasn't fun because of them. And we had the whole easy mode discussion again, as we always do.

Seems like maybe From has better long term vision with these things than the average fan who is pissed that they haven't exhausted every ounce of new content as fast as humanly possible once it releases so that they can be done with it and not play anymore. What is up with that mindset being so prevailing these days?

Last edited:

Varteras

It's just that there are some people who have rushed through the game, done minimal exploration and have arrived at the final boss with half (or less I've seen in some instances) of the scadutree upgrades that are available across the game.

Also, people seem to be painfully unaware that the build you run can also make your life much easier or rage inducing. Like, some people are just now finding out that running with a sword and shield might afford you better survivability in a great many encounters than hoping you got a roll timing correct. Or that builds that are much more ranged focused keep you away from many attacks while allowing you to hammer the enemy. As if there haven't been Souls memes for decades making fun of people who played casters and cheesed the game. If you want to be pressing your face against a boss's nutsack and flail your melee weapons, you had better get real good at timing dodges and parries real quick.

Also, people seem to be painfully unaware that the build you run can also make your life much easier or rage inducing. Like, some people are just now finding out that running with a sword and shield might afford you better survivability in a great many encounters than hoping you got a roll timing correct. Or that builds that are much more ranged focused keep you away from many attacks while allowing you to hammer the enemy. As if there haven't been Souls memes for decades making fun of people who played casters and cheesed the game. If you want to be pressing your face against a boss's nutsack and flail your melee weapons, you had better get real good at timing dodges and parries real quick.
It’s actually great that From has leaned into tuning the game against the elitist Souls asshole who thinks the only way to win ‘properly’ is to do it solo with no help or cheese. ER offers dozens of ways to win, but you have to give up your elitist badge to do it. There are still people who will win all of this at level 1 and shit, proving it can be done. But for the most part it’s just a massive culling of people who derived a sense of self superiority from beating these games the ‘proper’ way for all those years. And now are getting their asses whopped and don’t want to resort to actually playing the game and engaging with all of the mechanics.

Last edited:

unlurkified

I entered the DLC at lvl 148, 55 vigor and the Divine Beast Dancing Lion was kicking my ass.
Beat it in under 13 minutes and like 6 to 7 attempts. Rellana tho, she made me summon the gang (Greatshield Soldier ashes).

<60 Vigor is hard, but doable.
Even at 60 vigor, you start out feeling underleveled and get one and two shot even by small mini bosses. I went in at 191 and was like, “what the hell is this?!” Kinda weird they went with the leveling approach they did. Just make people start a new character so actual leveling doesn’t feel pointless.

Zheph

I guess the games were not as mainstream because the DS3's DLC or Old Hunters were brutal af and I was here for it

It's getting embarrassing (well getting... it was always the case) how steams reviews are the new hot things for people to have cringy tantrums...

peronmls

Yes, they can be solo’d. Yes, they are still designed for co-op.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Does the game ever tell you why things are different in the new realm? Why we need to collect those items to boost our damage and defense? Or is it just “reasons?”

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can people please not spoil stuff like the final boss in this thread? Surely you must understand that a lot of us are reading this to decide whether or not we should get the DLC, and don't want everything spoiled?

Nuthugger crew.

Allandor

Well today they even fixed some 2 year old glitches you could use to cheese Morgh. So even less players from now on for the DLC.

After 2 years they really fixed the falling glitch. Why didn't they do it years ago. Such a simple fix, you just can fight long enough while falling...

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah. This is not too hard. I beat Rellana second time. Mobs can hit like a truck, but a combo of comet, moonveil and mimic is serving me fine.

Last edited:

Varteras

We have easy mode at home (no spoilers, only base game bosses/enemies are shown):

Was just watching a video, from the same guy, ranking the new ashes of war from the expansion. Some of those things are ridiculous. Carian Sovereignty is busted. The video showed it doing over 10,000 damage across two hits against a late-game boss. It provides the player with stagger resistance when using it, and it causes over 90 stance damage. Which is fucking insane. That means a successful two-hit combo will drop the majority of bosses to their knees and let you get a punish on them.

Seriously. This game has the tools you need to overcome something that seems impossible. Just need to figure it out or go online and check builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Was just watching a video, from the same guy, ranking the new ashes of war from the expansion. Some of those things are ridiculous. Carian Sovereignty is busted. The video showed it doing over 10,000 damage across two hits against a late-game boss. It provides the player with stagger resistance when using it, and it causes over 90 stance damage. Which is fucking insane. That means a successful two-hit combo will drop the majority of bosses to their knees and let you get a punish on them.

Seriously. This game has the tools you need to overcome something that seems impossible. Just need to figure it out or go online and check builds.

I'm running an int/strength build and have come across a couple of these just by exploring and then trying them out.

Honestly, the people who are crying about the difficulty aren't even trying at this point. No scadutree upgrades and not even trying out all the new weapons/tools the game gives you. Even some of the stuff that isn't outright broken (so likely won't get nerfed) is still ridiculously strong when paired with the right talismans and tears. The best part, you can even do all this by just riding around with torrent, picking up anything that glows, unlocking graces while not even fighting anything.

Imagine playing this like some shitty linear AAA game and just rushing from major boss to major boss.

951367c657bb3bbdd66f5c5b9a2526ba.jpg

I got to rellana, saw that I was obviously too weak for her at the time I was there so instead of crying about it, I decided to go exploring and see what else is out there. I will now go back fully prepared.

Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF

M1987

I'm running an int/strength build and have come across a couple of these just by exploring and then trying them out.

Honestly, the people who are crying about the difficulty aren't even trying at this point. No scadutree upgrades and not even trying out all the new weapons/tools the game gives you. Even some of the stuff that isn't outright broken (so likely won't get nerfed) is still ridiculously strong when paired with the right talismans and tears. The best part, you can even do all this by just riding around with torrent, picking up anything that glows, unlocking graces while not even fighting anything.

Imagine playing this like some shitty linear AAA game and just rushing from major boss to major boss.

951367c657bb3bbdd66f5c5b9a2526ba.jpg

I got to rellana, saw that I was obviously too weak for her at the time I was there so instead of crying about it, I decided to go exploring and see what else is out there. I will now go back fully prepared.

Arnold Schwarzenegger GIF
It's an incredible fight once you learn the moveset

Varteras

Looks like the pussies got what they wanted,a nerf patch is out

If it was internally felt that they had tuned fights beyond the intention, that certain buffs weren't giving you enough, or certain attacks weren't doing enough damage, then I'm okay with them adjusting a bit.

M1987

Chill out. It’s just a patch that slightly increases Scadutree scaling. Doubt it makes a huge difference going by the notes.
It will still be hard af, I'm just taking the piss out of all the people crying about how difficult it is.Hopefully they can sort out the performance next, because since the DLC,my PC restarts every couple of hours

Little Chicken

Gold Member

I hope they don't nerf the broken builds. I like running through Souls games doing dumb shit like this once I've finished the game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Now after I've explored its world for 15-20 hours I'm in love with the overall experience. In some ways I might like it even more than the base game..

Is the boss "difficulty" completely overboard to a point where it's ridiculous? Yes it is. Is the dlc otherwise utterly fantastic? Absofuckinglutely.

Edit: Well, actually, I forgot something that contributes to downvotes as much as the difficulty (if not more).. The performance even on a high end PC is at times atrocious.. I quite often have 1-5 (!) second random hangs/freezes and traversal stutters.. It's pretty bad..

Last edited:

Hudo

The Office Thank You GIF

Glad this DLC absolutely shat on everyone who thought they were too cool for shield. Everyone online early was simply, "Hur hur, shields suck. Just dual-wield and dodge." Been using the Golden Greatshield for a while and it's made thing so much easier.
I am not a shield-guy myself (for now, at least) but since I love playing as paladin (or as a fallen-and-risen-again paladin), I never count out shields.

And I am not gonna lie: Just fucking blocking everything when even the biggest boss is desperately trying to hammer you down is hella fucking cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom