• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigglepoo said:
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I love the HD presentation of modern sporting events, but with everything in excruciating detail now, those flubs are replayed and analyzed to death. When I started watching sports in the 80s, the technology wasn't nearly as impressive, so there wasn't a ton of replays to pour over after the fact. You just kind of accepted the calls and moved on. I liked that more. Now all of the discussion is about this one play while most people are ignoring everything that came before and after.

I believe some of the problem relies on the rules. Nowadays with everyone trying to take a charge, the refs have to look at the player's body, look if he was set, look where his feet were, etc etc, so it becomes easier to miss something like an illegal tip.

I think there's too much stuff the refs have to look at these days because the way the game is called. It wasn't always like this.

Catch-22. Took away the physicality to open offense, but the result is poorer officiating.

edit: I think there needs to be 4 refs now.

Rodeo Clown said:
I don't really pay much attention to other people's carts, but I think I will now. Just so I can report back to this thread.

Although recently I did get stuck behind this guy at a register who was buying like 40 cans of cat food and a bottle of wine. That was pretty weird.

He was probably mackin' on some super hot cat lady

Cubsfan23 said:
Melo always chokes against good defensive teams in the playoffs. Reason #1 the Knicks never had a chance in this series.

Melo needs to stop taking threes all the time(waits for that to be used against me).

He's a great outside shooter but he's not a very good shooter from beyond the arc.

Tom Penny

ryutaro's mama said:
Annnd for all the people that were crying about Perkins missing Game 7, Sheed's offensive output that game doesn't happen if Perk is in there in his regular rotation.

Yeah...

They lost that game because Ray couldn't throw he ball in the ocean and he had wide open looks left and right. The Perk factor is a myth.

KingGondo

Banned
Godslay said:
If KD and Westbrook can score 72 every game it will be. Otherwise, it has worked so far if you watched their games.
I think we'll look back on game 1 as KD and Russ picking up the slack when the rest of our guys played an abnormally off game.

We'll get a much better collective effort, and our defense actually got better as the game went on. Our effort reeks of being a bit nervous for the start of the playoffs.

Rodeo Clown said:
I don't really pay much attention to other people's carts, but I think I will now. Just so I can report back to this thread.

Although recently I did get stuck behind this guy at a register who was buying like 40 cans of cat food and a bottle of wine. That was pretty weird.
I'll admit to being a bit of a food snob, but the things people put in their bodies is astounding.

You should also check out this book. Highly amusing.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/144031201X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

numble

Jra8Pl.jpg

ryutaro's mama said:
Finally, a logical Czzz fan.

Squeee!

If it's a myth, how come the team doesn't play the same without him???

Surely they are pros and time has passed and mentally they have gotten over it by now.

Oh, you aren't talking this team???

SamuraiX-

Gigglepoo said:
Not really. The Pacers don't have anyone on their team like Dale or Antonio Davis anymore. They don't have an enforcer. They didn't knock Rose down so he had no reason to fear driving to the hole. That's not playoff basketball.

Didn't Rose act like a little bitch when somebody from your team grabbed him a little extra hard on one of his drives?

Regardless, I agree. If he's gonna get 21 FTA/game this series, at least make sure that every trip to the line is preceded by him hitting the hardwood.

Fuck, that would make that series so chippy. I would love it.

Cubsfan23 said:
none of the lakers played like superstars in that series

Billups played like one

Did the Pistons skip straight to the Finals with the Lakers that year?

Point was, before that series, casual fans had no idea who the fuck Chauncey Billups was.

Tom Penny said:
They lost that game because Ray couldn't throw he ball in the ocean and he had wide open looks left and right. The Perk factor is a myth.

0 points in game 3, still makes me go :/

why didn't they play Tony Allen more in game 7 , he guarded kobe great.

SamuraiX- said:
Didn't Rose act like a little bitch when somebody from your team grabbed him a little extra hard on one of his drives?

If acting like a bitch is having a casual shortlived confrontation with a scrub YMCA player only in a game to take shots at players, then yeah, he was whining and crying.

Plus, you'd get mildly upset if Jeff Foster touched you at all as well.

etiolate

Banned
SamuraiX- said:

Regardless, I agree. If he's gonna get 21 FTA/game this series, at least make sure that every trip to the line is preceded by him hitting the hardwood.

Fuck, that would make that series so chippy. I would love it.

They would start calling flagarants and handing out suspensions so fast it would backfire.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
If it's a myth, how come the team doesn't play the same without him???

Surely they are pros and time has passed and mentally they have gotten over it by now.

For THAT series, him being out for Game 7 would have meant less time for Sheed, meaning he would have had less offensive output in that game, meaning the game might not have been that close meaning Doc is still just a salty bitch.

Gigglepoo

etiolate said:
They would start calling flagarants and handing out suspensions so fast it would backfire.

Dude, the Pacers have 37 wins. They need to do everything in their power to have any shot at advancing. I'm not saying they should play dirty, but they need to knock him down every time he drives. Just make it look like you're going for the ball and it's all good.

Denver could really use Afflalo to defend Westbrook, methinks.

Is he gonna get well in time?

All I know is...FUCK TIM THOMAS

Nothing hurts me more than Horry's game 5 3 point rimout in '03. That shit was meant to go in. His only unclutch moment ever as a Laker.

Black Mamba said:
Denver could really use Afflalo to defend Westbrook, methinks.

Is he gonna get well in time?

I love to see the fellow Bruins go at it....

ryutaro's mama said:
All I know is...FUCK TIM THOMAS.

All them years getting punked around in the East he finally has a home?

ryutaro's mama said:
All I know is...FUCK TIM THOMAS.

this too, i wanted to see L.A vs L.A , would have been awesome

I imagined it would be half laker logo , half clipper logo on the floor, now we will never know :mad:

also laker fans on one side and clippers fans on the other B^)

sf2fanatic said:
I love to see the fellow Bruins go at it....

All them years getting punked around in the East he finally has a home?

it's crazy that Westbrook couldn't even start initially at UCLA and he's become probably the best player of his class. Howland might suck as a coach but he certainly can recruit (Westbrook, Collison, Love, Afflalo, Mbah Moute)

Ninja Scooter said:
it's crazy that Westbrook couldn't even start initially at UCLA and he's become probably the best player of his class. Howland might suck as a coach but he certainly can recruit (Westbrook, Collison, Love, Afflalo, Mbah Moute)

Still hating on Jordy?

Ninja Scooter said:

Only if they stayed all them years at UCLA...with Farmar as a backup

ryutaro's mama said:
Still hating on Jordy?

no, but I think those guys (at least the guards) are better than Jordan and were probably less heralded. Leads to the perception that Howland can recruit like no-one's business but can't develop players well. Also why I wish the Lakers had a 1st rounder so we could test that theory and take a flyer on Malcolm Lee.

giri

The Crimson Blur said:
So what are the chances that the team that wins the ring this year will be the best team?

Cause the better team has lost in half these games already because of the officiating.
hahahahahaha

If thats what it takes to console your self.

dream

Khloe and Lamar live really far away from Staples Center, making it problematic when the Lakers play a tough game and Lamar is too tired to drive all the way home. Being rich and privileged, they decided to get an apartment closer to LA Live so they can use it as a crash pad. After tonight's tough game, they stop off at the downtown apartment so they can "go night night." Unfortunately, Khloe arrives to a surprising discovery -- Lamar's best friend from back home, Jamie, is already chilling there. Even worse, he's smoking in their home. Khloe is about to go off on him for smoking but stops because she sees a strange purse laying on the coffee table. Jamie explains that the purse belongs to the person he just finished having sex with (in their bed) and he tends to smoke after his release.

As Lamar's best friend/hangeron, Jamie has the cushy job of running Rich Soil, Lamar's clothing line.

Oh god, Khloe's best friend/assistant calls her "kaykay." What is with these people and their babytalk?

Anyway, the BFF/assistant calls KayKay over to let her know she was looking at the Rich Farm web site and every item was sold out. This puts KayKay in a tough spot because doesn't want to be a snitch but, at the same time, it's her husband's side business and he has to know how badly Jamie is mismanaging it.

There's a subplot about KayKay's idiot Celebrity All Star brother becoming a manager or a producer of some girlband but nobody gives a shit about that.

Ninja Scooter said:
no, but I think those guys (at least the guards) are better than Jordan and were probably less heralded. Leads to the perception that Howland can recruit like no-one's business but can't develop players well. Also why I wish the Lakers had a 1st rounder so we could test that theory and take a flyer on Malcolm Lee.

You forgot Jrue.

I think he will be solid too.

numble

dream said:
Khloe and Lamar live really far away from Staples Center, making it problematic when the Lakers play a tough game and Lamar is too tired to drive all the way home. Being rich and privileged, they decided to get an apartment closer to LA Live so they can use it as a crash pad. After tonight's tough game, they stop off at the downtown apartment so they can "go night night." Unfortunately, Khloe arrives to a surprising discovery -- Lamar's best friend from back home, Jamie, is already chilling there. Even worse, he's smoking in their home. Khloe is about to go off on him for smoking but stops because she sees a strange purse laying on the coffee table. Jamie explains that the purse belongs to the person he just finished having sex with (in their bed) and he tends to smoke after his release.

As Lamar's best friend/hangeron, Jamie has the cushy job of running Rich Soil, Lamar's clothing line.

Oh god, Khloe's best friend/assistant calls her "kaykay." What is with these people and their babytalk?

Anyway, the BFF/assistant calls KayKay over to let her know she was looking at the Rich Farm web site and every item was sold out. This puts KayKay in a tough spot because doesn't want to be a snitch but, at the same time, it's her husband's side business and he has to know how badly Jamie is mismanaging it.

There's a subplot about KayKay's idiot Celebrity All Star brother becoming a manager or a producer of some girlband but nobody gives a shit about that.
Yes!

Broseybrose

LOL im so glad LA lost the first game of the offseason. Going to make NBA-GAF so much more interesting.

Oh, i should probably declare my lifelong support my for the Heat since this is my first post in the thread. I know how you guys work.

dream said:

This sounds like a decent show

dream said:

lol so awesome

Doomsayer

dream said:

Oh lawd.

SamuraiX-

dream said:

But why isn't KayKay being honest about her true feelings for Jamie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom