• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
KingGondo said:
Yeah, I said earlier that I think rather than looking at this game as "we needed Russ and KD to go nuts to even beat the Nuggets by 4," I think after the series we'll view it as "our roleplayers uncharacteristically played like absolute garbage (especially Serge, WTF?) and KD and Russ picked up the slack."

I guess it comes with being a fan of such a young team--nights like last night are going to happen for Serge and Harden.

I was shocked to see our role players shit the bed offensively. Gonna need production from Harden going forward. Ibaka has to get a handle on that 18 ft jumper again, too. A win is a win, and I'm optimistic for the rest of the series because it seems like we came out too tight/nervous. Hopefully, that is behind us now.

George Karl has gigantic ears. Holy shit.

KingGondo said:
Yeah, I said earlier that I think rather than looking at this game as "we needed Russ and KD to go nuts to even beat the Nuggets by 4," I think after the series we'll view it as "our roleplayers uncharacteristically played like absolute garbage (especially Serge, WTF?) and KD and Russ picked up the slack."

I guess it comes with being a fan of such a young team--nights like last night are going to happen for Serge and Harden.

Gallinari's not going to play that terrible moving forward either, every game will be very close.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You could probably call a moving screen on every screen in the NBA. That one is especially bad, though.

masud

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
requoting for new page

How often is this shit going to happen?
I posted the same link a couple of pages back. TD could have gotten a hand on that pass or at the very least forced Ray to rush the shot. I'm still gundy about that shit...

stan-vangundy.jpg

Puddles

Banned
YuriLowell said:
You guys are still salty about that moving pick?

Not as much as Kobe getting pushed to the floor and getting called for a turnover or the bullshit perceived makeup calls that the Hornets kept getting to put them on the line every time the Lakers got the score within two or four, but I've come to realize that none of that shit would have mattered if the Lakers had defended the baseline in the 4th quarter.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Pkaz01 said:
and derrick rose is a scoring pg not a pure pg

Derrick Rose is a scoring PG, but not in the light that AI and Francis were. He's a scoring PG who is more than willing to give the ball up. D-Rose fits the Bulls perfectly because they were built around him. CP3 wouldn't fit in Chicago, but he's still the best PG in the league when healthy.

The Stealth Fox

SephCast said:
Derrick Rose is a scoring PG, but not in the light that AI and Francis were. He's a scoring PG who is more than willing to give the ball up. D-Rose fits the Bulls perfectly because they were built around him. CP3 wouldn't fit in Chicago, but he's still the best PG in the league when healthy.

Yup. Unfortunately CP3's knee exploded so he'll never be the same :(

giga

YuriLowell said:
You guys are still salty about that moving pick?
When you get called for a bullshit offensive foul which is immediately followed by an illegal screen by KG which gives Ray a wide open three to win the game in the damn playoffs? Yeah I'd be salty. I've never even been to New York.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Is that why Pau thought it was a good idea to guard him???

Is it weird that I still get giddy thinking about the Bulls comeback? It's only the first round, but that was the best Bulls game since the Boston series.

i woke up this morning, and that loss still hurts so, so much.

we had you, boston. we fucking had you. even with dirty play injuring billups. even with earlier chucking by melo and billups, we were still winning. even with that poorly-defended backdoor alley-oop, we still lead. even with that floppy bitch-ass flop by pierce and the 3 free throws, we still were winning.

god, it still burns. i was trembling after that game. my brother called me, near tears; he was a kid when he last saw real knicks playoff basketball, so he doesn't know the bitter disappointment the same way i do, the same way my dad does. he didn't know how to process it.

...and frankly, i don't yet know how to either. yeah, i mad.

hopefully, billups is good for game 2.
hopefully, shelden williams is good for game 2.
hopefully, melo will come with his good shot for game 2 and will get back to playing within the flow of the offense.
hopefully, we won't stop playing landry fields, who actually defended allen really well in the first half - but wasn't allowed to stay in the game because he wasn't hitting at all offensively.
hopefully we keep getting quality minutes from turiaf and jeffries.
hopefully, we continue to get shin amare with orochi blood.
i want to win game 2, and then bring the celtics to the garden - the REAL garden.

fuck, it still hurts so bad. nba-age still rules though, as does nba-age irc.

SephCast said:
Is it weird that I still get giddy thinking about the Bulls comeback? It's only the first round, but that was the best Bulls game since the Boston series.

Too bad they had to be outplayed 90% of the way to make it so exicitng but yeah, something about wins like that are so gratifying because the other team "had" the game and you still prevailed at the end.

It'd be nice if the Bulls got out to a lead tonight, 6 or 7 points or even 5 would be fine to build off of.

I read the Tribune this morning and they want Boozer(don't laugh) to be much more of a factor(started off strong and like he tends to be, was absent the rest of the way) and also, Roy Hibbert says he thinks the Pacers are going to win game 2 as they are even hungrier than they were in the first game.

I don't know why guys say pointless things like that.

Granger seems like a cool and humble dude that really took the first game in stride even though you would think his team would be frustrated that they let it slip away.

Maybe Taj should guard Hansbrough???

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Too bad they had to be outplayed 90% of the way to make it so exicitng but yeah, something about wins like that are so gratifying because the other team "had" the game and you still prevailed at the end.

It'd be nice if the Bulls got out to a lead tonight, 6 or 7 points or even 5 would be fine to build off of.

I read the Tribune this morning and they want Boozer(don't laugh) to be much more of a factor(started off strong and like he tends to be, was absent the rest of the way) and also, Roy Hibbert says he thinks the Pacers are going to win game 2 as they are even hungrier than they were in the first game.

I don't know why guys say pointless things like that.

Granger seems like a cool and humble dude that really took the first game in stride even though you would think his team would be frustrated that they let it slip away.

Maybe Taj should guard Hansbrough???

Bulls played their worst possible game and Pacers played their best possible game. I see a comfortable win tonight.

SephCast said:
Bulls played their worst possible game and Pacers played their best possible game. I see a comfortable win tonight.

Yeah, I was of the same mindset, this was the game the Pacers had and had to get as they shot so well.

Also woke up the Bulls though I don't believe they took the Pacers lightly, I think it was moreso the Pacers took them by surprise.

I still think the Bulls can win in 5 games but if they play like the first game, this will go 6 or 7.

diehard

Fleer
SephCast said:
People are obsessed with who is the "best". IMO it all comes down to matchups and the team they play for, there is absolutely no better PG more fit beat the Lakers than Paul. Matched up against a bigger, good defensive PG and i'd take Derrick or Deron. Then there is Nash.. those 4 could claim to be best from day to day and matchup to matchup.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Yeah, I was of the same mindset, this was the game the Pacers had and had to get as they shot so well.

Also woke up the Bulls though I don't believe they took the Pacers lightly, I think it was moreso the Pacers took them by surprise.

I still think the Bulls can win in 5 games but if they play like the first game, this will go 6 or 7.

Exactly. Bulls got their heads inflated when they kept reading all the sweep predictions and analysts picking them to come out of the east. I still say sweep.

cuevas said:
How can DRose not be the best PG in the league when he's the best player in the league? I'm so confused.

I think all those "best" arguments end up being silly as there will always be others that laugh at your stance and whatnot.

Most with any intelligence would understand he's one of the most dominant players in the league and if he was on one of the naysayers' team, they'd be praising him to the heavens.

I'm just happy he's on the Bulls, he's much farther than I'd thought he'd be at this point but I thought he would take a year to be even worth a shit in the league and he was decent right from the start.

What impresses me the most out of him is how clutch he is this soon.

Puddles

Banned
cuevas said:
How can DRose not be the best PG in the league when he's the best player in the league? I'm so confused.

He's not the best player in the league, but he was the best player out of all the MVP candidates, assuming we acknowledge that Kobe was never a serious candidate due to playing so few minutes this season and allowing that 5 game slide to happen on his watch.

Between Rose, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, Dirk and Duncan, the best players were clearly Rose, Dwight and Dirk, and the latter two didn't get enough wins.

There are a few players we can argue are better than Rose, like CP3 and Durant, but they definitely didn't get enough wins for MVP.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Dark FaZe said:
requoting for new page

How often is this shit going to happen?
Same shit was happening during POR/DAL with Chandler, and they ended up calling Miller for a foul because he tried to fight through the pick, too. Adding insult to injury.

What are the rules for fighting through screens???

Can you do it at all???

I never understood calling the guy who is being brick walled by some huge guy for a foul.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Can you do it at all???

I never understood calling the guy who is being brick walled by some huge guy for a foul.

You really don't know the rules for picks?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Can you do it at all???

Chandler was shadowing Miller the entire time and bumping him off for a good ten foot stretch as he was trying to stay within his man and the refs didn't deem it a moving pick.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
If only the league was so cut and dry, have you seen how refs vary calls on every situation???

Expected comment though.

Do you know rules for traveling? Refs vary on those calls as well..

reilo said:
Chandler was shadowing Miller the entire time and bumping him off for a good ten foot stretch as he was trying to stay within his man and the refs didn't deem it a moving pick.

I'd have to see it but that sounds like a continous moving screen and maybe it confuses these terrible refs as they are used to a single action which is flawed leading to a violation.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
thekad said:
He isn't the best player in the league. Not even close.

He's definitely not the best, but not even close? To me, he's definitely top 6, possibly top 3.

LeBron
Dwight
Kobe/Wade/Rose/Durant

Blackace said:
Do you know rules for traveling? Refs vary on those calls as well..

That's more cut and dry even though the refs seem not to understand that.

The point is, I've watched the game for decades and technical rules don't amount to shit when there are varying interpretations of them all the time.

Knowing what the rulebook says exactly is not bound in reality so who cares???

What I want to know is how much leeway is give for fighting through screens and if like all the other bullshit, it varies due to the player and not the action itself.

SephCast said:
He's definitely not the best, but not even close? To me, he's definitely top 6, possibly top 3.

I don't think anything in this league is definite, you could make cases for several players and I personally think Rose is one of them easily but lists are pointless though drive some of the amusement on here.

thekad

Banned
SephCast said:

LeBron
Dwight
Kobe/Wade/Rose/Durant

bron, wade, cp3, dwight, dirk, deron, nash, pau, durant, melo.

he's on the level of manu, aldridge, and pierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom