• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

giri

exarkun said:
Do you guys ever read the true-hoop associated blog for your team? Most team's blogs talk about interesting shit (the best ones apparently get picked up by espn/yahoo/cbs to write for them) but the Rockets one is dumb as rocks. They don't actual basketball, but just basic, very late general commentary. And they basically repeat what yahoo/rotoworld said earlier. I feel like I can do it better, and I know they have a high turnover rate since most of the good writers use it as a stepping stone.

Should I just throw my lot out there? I was thinking about it.
I read the suns one, VOTS, it's ok, but they have some college writer on there who throws up a stinker of an article every now and then. Generally pretty good.

The Crimson Blur said:
I prefer not to call it a fanbase. Thats disrespectful to the other 29 teams. "Bandwagonbase" is more fitting.

lol okay bro. Don't have another meltdown if the Spurs lose tomorrow. Drink some cranberry juice and have some Mydol ready.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
dream said:
...Russell Bestbrook just said he visited the OKC memorial and it was overwhelming because he never knew something like that happened until he got there.

Eh, he was a 7 year old when it happened - I wouldn't expect someone who was that young to know or remember the bombing. I was 10 at the time so I remember it, I was already more alert of the world outside of my SNES and cartoons. By the time he'd have reached that age, the bombing wasn't in the news much anymore.

Besides, I bet a vast majority of 20 year olds today don't even know about the event.

Ninja Scooter said:
lol okay bro. Don't have another meltdown if the Spurs lose tomorrow. Drink some cranberry juice and have some Mydol ready.

The thing that you don't understand and will probably never understand is that showing emotion about your team isn't anything to be ashamed of.

diehard

Fleer
linsivvi said:
Mavericks. 2004.

Honestly, 94% of stats Hollinger throws out are meaningless. And this is one of those.
Huh? This is one of those stats that is not meaningless. You provided an example of the 6%... do you know how statistics work?

Doomsayer

Why Crimson, why?

Just because we don't have meltdowns doesn't mean we aren't passionate. You and Brandy take that shit to a whole new level.

The Crimson Blur said:
The thing that you don't understand and will probably never understand is that showing emotion about your team isn't anything to be ashamed of.

Neither is pretending that they didn't get swept when they did.

Oh wait...

Red Blaster said:
Westbrook didn't know the Oklahoma City bombings happened in Oklahoma City?

Lol, yeah that's what I asked myself when he said that, it really surprised me. Regarding the game, I'm really encouraged by the D that the Mavs have been playing. It's about as good as it was when the season first started, so thats a great sign. I really didn't think Kidd would be able to replicate what he did last game, but damn was I wrong. He's playing so much better these playoffs compared to the ones before. I also liked the Peja signing at the time, I just didn't want him starting, so Carlisle having Marion start with Peja coming off the bench is actually a decent rotation at the SF spot. Seems to be the best way to replace Caron.

With that said, LMA is a fucking beast. He's got to be the closest player to resemble Dirk, right? Goin to Portland is gonna be tough, but the Mavs have been a great road team this year so hopefully they can steal one there. Tonight was a great game either way. I'm also glad Dan Crawford got exposed before the game, maybe Stern gave him that call so that there weren't more questions regarding Refs after this game.

The Crimson Blur said:

no but threatening to stop watching basketball because things don't go your team's way is not emotion, it's pretty much the definition of a bandwagoner. It's what bandwagon fans do.

You accusing other people and fans of being bandwagoners is laughable after your little bitchfest.

SamuraiX-

AlphaSnake said:
Eh, he was a 7 year old when it happened - I wouldn't expect someone who was that young to know or remember the bombing. I was 10 at the time so I remember it, I was already more alert of the world outside of my SNES and cartoons.

I'm pretty sure we're taught all this shit in history class.

But I still don't understand how a character from The Land Before Time doesn't know about something that happened in recent decades.

dIEHARD said:
Huh? This is one of those stats that is not meaningless. You provided an example of the 6%... do you know how statistics work?

Hey, man, who cares if 94% of people who contract a disease die? That stat doesn't matter because this guy I know lived.

linsivvi

dIEHARD said:

Do you? I worked in a market research company for 8 years. I think I have a pretty good idea.

Statistics doesn't work here because they are comprised of different teams with different players under different conditions. It would only work if it's between two teams of mindless robots with the exact same skill level, but they are not. Players get injured, some teams play a lot better at home, some players like to choke, some play much better when their backs are against the wall.

Of course teams with a 2-0 lead in a 7 game series wins most of the time. It is just common sense. The percentage, however, does not at all reflects the reality of each individual series.

Say the Hornets or the Grizzlies go up 2-0 tomorrow. Do you really think the likelihood of the Spurs or the Lakers making a come back is the same as the 76ers? Can you apply the same percentage to all series at 2-0? If you can't, then the stats is meaningless. Because it is neither helpful nor an accurate description of the current series. You cannot analyze sports by just throwing a number out there.

In another word, Hollinger doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

Doomsayer said:
Why Crimson, why?

Just because we don't have meltdowns doesn't mean we aren't passionate. You and Brandy take that shit to a whole new level.

Pretty sure this whole thing started when Ninja showed us all how passionless he really is. Considering he is one of the most dedicated Laker fans you will ever find, I think that just goes to show you the depravity of the entire bandwagonbase.

The Crimson Blur said:
Pretty sure this whole thing started when Ninja showed us all how passionless he really is. Considering he is one of the most dedicated Laker fans you will ever find, I think that just goes to show you the depravity of the entire bandwagonbase.

lol Spurs-age doesn't even like you. They've been on to your bitchassness for a while now.

Keep on crying. The league is so unfair to your poor team.

I also love how you continually avoid acknowledging your pathetic behavior from a couple weeks back. You=bandwagon fan. You've already proven it.

masud

Banned
talisayNon said:
This is the kind of loser thinking that extended the tenures of Eric Mangini, Herm Edwards, Isiaah Thomas and Larry Brown.

He's been given ample time. His ass should be gone after this year.
Well its a good thing Donnie is more sensible than you are. Let the man have a full season with the superstar team he was hired to coach ffs. Can you really say that Mike has under achieved in NY? Look at the fucking rosters he's had to coach! In his first season we gave away or banished the 4 best players on an already terrible team and he coached them to the same record they had the year before. This impatient win now at all costs attitude that infects this city is the same reason we barely have full roster now and are forced to play bums like Jeffies.

Ninja Scooter said:
lol Spurs-age doesn't even like you. They've been on to your bitchassness for a while now.

Keep on crying. The league is so unfair to your poor team.

He has a new copping mechanism now.

This "Hemplemmo" or whatever it is.

That god is why the 5pur5 were never swept by the Suns in 2010.

They tanked.

masud said:
Well its a good thing Donnie is more sensible than you are. Let the man have a full season with the superstar team he was hired to coach ffs. Can you really say that Mike has under achieved in NY? Look at the fucking rosters he's had to coach! In his first season we gave away or banished the 4 best players on an already terrible team and he coached them to the same record they had the year before. This impatient win now at all costs attitude that infects this city is the same reason we barely have full roster now and are forced to play bums like Jeffies.
This. I strongly dislike the dude, but you have to give him/the Knicks an offseason + a quarter of next season to evaluate him. Now if he refuses to hire a Defensive Co-ordinator and Knicks start off 3-4 games under after the first 20 games and look listless, fire his bitchass.

I will say this: the injury to Billups may cost him 14 million. If Douglas plays well/Billups doesn't do better I can see Knicks letting him walk.

Would hiring a defensive coordinator even help? It's not that Mike doesn't know how to coach defense, as much as the system he has in place is not conducive to good defense.

SamuraiX-

Seriously, wtf is going on?

Did Kidd just decide to show everyone that he was working on his 3 this past summer and saving it for the Playoffs or is Andre Miller's defense more LOL than any of us ever expected? hah

Doomsayer

As weird as it is to say, the Knicks D at times in the first 2 games has looked good. Their transition D is horrible, but they are rotating nice and doing quick doubles in the post. I was a bit surprised.

The Knicks out rebounded the Celtics by almost 20 and still lost? Damn.

exarkun

So dumb shit going on in here.

I thought Jefferies did the best he could against KG on the defensive end on that lead changing basket (where KG backed him down). Dude used to wilt like a flower, but now he has a bit of some fire. I still don't know how JARED FUCKIN JEFFERIES gets the minutes he does, I mean seriously its a joke but he wasn't completely bad tonight. KG backed his down cause he's bigger and stronger but he went up with both hands to stop that hook. I was surprised that A. Didn't turn into a foul and B. Jefferies kept bumping him back to keep him out. That shot though was dirty by KG. Also, ballsy cause that was not a high percentage shot for KG.

Seriously though, how does he get the minutes he gets? His BBIQ has spurts, then he goes back to full retard. I would hate to have to watch him for 82 games. Theres a reason the short-handed Rockets barely gave him time.

Reality is, public airing of Lamar Odom's personal life could affect his job

At one point in one of the first two episodes, Odom loses a battle with one of Khloe's immature power plays and can only say, "What kind of preschool [bleep] is that?" At another point, he is shown phoning his agent and, with a hint of desperation, asking about his chances of making the All-Star team. Then there are the scenes that show his distress over his relationship with his long-lost father, including one chilling moment in which Khloe phones Odom's dad and un-invites him to a Lakers game because Lamar wouldn't be comfortable.

It's raw, it's painful, it sometimes shows Odom as being even softer than the reputation of Pau Gasol and, as a motivational tool, it stinks.

On the night of the show's Sunday debut, Odom barely show up in the loss to Oklahoma City, scoring seven points with three rebounds. The following Sunday before the airing of the second episode, Odom arrived late for the Lakers' first postseason game, then slogged his way to 10 points and just one rebound in the loss to New Orleans.

hahahah Yoko up in this bitch.

Barrage said:
Damn, Kidd is killing it right now.

Top 5 PGs So Far in the Playoffs:

Paul
Westbrook
Rondo
Kidd
Lee

lol i c what u did thur

diehard

Fleer
linsivvi said:
Do you? I worked in a market research company for 8 years. I think I have a pretty good idea.
I was going to make a post about how your argument about statistics is flawed when it comes to sports then i realized i don't care.

The Crimson Blur said:
Ninja Scooter is the Eddy Curry of NBA-age. After he got his contract, he was like "fuck it" and stopped caring.

1043375_o.gif

linsivvi

dIEHARD said:
I was going to make a post about how your argument about statistics is flawed when it comes to sports then i realized i don't care.

Because I did not? I just pointed at this particular stats as meaningless.

Or is it because you cannot make a valid argument against my point?

Ninja Scooter said:
Would hiring a defensive coordinator even help? It's not that Mike doesn't know how to coach defense, as much as the system he has in place is not conducive to good defense.
I think if you get a known defensive entity to coach it he'd make it work. Of course that is EXACTLY why D'Antoni and Kerr didn't mesh well. D'Antoni is a stubborn guy to doesn't want to have all the power but doesn't like it when another coach has close to as much as he does (Pheonix/Thibedoux incident). Dude buried Herb Williams in favor of his son Dan D'Antoni.
Doomsayer said:
As weird as it is to say, the Knicks D at times in the first 2 games has looked good. Their transition D is horrible, but they are rotating nice and doing quick doubles in the post. I was a bit surprised.

The Knicks out rebounded the Celtics by almost 20 and still lost? Damn.
It's weird, I've never seen Toney Douglas play Rondo like that before. It's like he was scared to take a charge because he was worried about foul trouble. Dude is an aggressive defender and Rondo destroyed him.
exarkun said:
So dumb shit going on in here.

I thought Jefferies did the best he could against KG on the defensive end on that lead changing basket (where KG backed him down). Dude used to wilt like a flower, but now he has a bit of some fire. I still don't know how JARED FUCKIN JEFFERIES gets the minutes he does, I mean seriously its a joke but he wasn't completely bad tonight. KG backed his down cause he's bigger and stronger but he went up with both hands to stop that hook. I was surprised that A. Didn't turn into a foul and B. Jefferies kept bumping him back to keep him out. That shot though was dirty by KG. Also, ballsy cause that was not a high percentage shot for KG.

Seriously though, how does he get the minutes he gets? His BBIQ has spurts, then he goes back to full retard. I would hate to have to watch him for 82 games. Theres a reason the short-handed Rockets barely gave him time.
Preaching to the Knick fans' choir. Why D'Antoni loves this dude I dunno. Not like Turiaf asks for the ball more than Jeffries, and Turiaf plays better D and is the better finisher.

The Stealth Fox

I hate this place. It's much more fun when there's no bitterness.

Time to change the subject!

Luol Deng for Kobe

Bynum for Melo

Cavs fans for a bunch of mailboxes

linsivvi

The Stealth Fox said:
I hate this place. It's much more fun when there's no bitterness.

Time to change the subject.

Luol Deng for Kobe

Bynum for Melo

Cavs fans for a bunch of mailboxes

My proposed trade of Martin, Scola and Lowry for Kobe, Odom and Fisher still stands.

LA Rockets and Houston Lakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom