• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

snack

Hey ryutaro's mama, at least you can keep your Cavs season tickets on your dashboard so you can park in handicap spaces.

snack said:
Hey ryutaro's mama, at least you can keep your Cavs season tickets on your dashboard so you can park in handicap spaces.

kobe_lol.gif

ryutaro's mama said:
Doesn't matter, we'll win a chip before LeBron ever does.

Dan Gilbert told me that.
does it count if the cavs fulfil that promise but the elapsed time between now and the cavs' championship can only be measured with scientific notation? hollow victory?

in lighter (lol) news, oliver miller was arrested for pistol whipping a man. at a bbq.

A former NBA player was arrested Tuesday morning for pistol whipping a man at a barbecue, police said.

Oliver Miller, 41, of Edgewater, was arrested after police were called out to a barbecue in Arnold, Md., for a report of an assault with a handgun, police said.
Miller was most known for his problems managing his weight, earning him the nickname "The Big-O."

http://www.wusa9.com/news/maryland/article/147341/189/Former-NBA-Player-Arrested-For-Alleged-Assault

Portland's style not getting it done in the playoffs again, I see. Picked Dallas to begin with and I still think the series will be tough going forward, but Dallas to me is the better team.

Surprised people here are complaining about Melo and/or D'Antoni. There was hardly anything to be done in that game. Melo played great and I thought made all the right decisions. D'Antoni really had nowhere else to go. Maybe play Turiaf or Fields, but both had been sitting a long time and Fields in particular has been bad of late. KG misses the shot 8 of 10 times. Knicks fans should be sad they lost but should be proud of the way the team fought. Melo was playing with mostly scrubs out there and nearly won the game.

Melo impressed me for one of the few times in his career. I really questioned if he had a truly elite game like that in him. He did.

Dwight still beasting. But man, his teammates are really struggling. I think whoever wins game 3 wins that series.

NBA-age. Damn Reilo always get fucking salty when his team loses. TCB with an awful troll job tonight. Just cuz thekad hardly posted doesn't mean it's your job to bring down the thread.

linsivvi

The Stealth Fox said:
Scola and Gasol on the same team? Gasol's a little better at defense while Scola is the hard nosed guy. They'd complement each other really well.

They can then take a dump on the Spurs every year. Scola would go for 40 on them, and then hit the game winner (in .4 seconds) over Tiago Splitter.

Scola taking a dump on the Spurs in the playoffs, no matter what team he's playing for, would be some poetic justice.

linsivvi

benjipwns said:
And it's not just Hollinger, those kinds of broad patterns have been thrown around far before Hollinger got out of diapers. It's the kind of stat the media loves because it serves the key purpose of creating a narrative.

I realize that, but this particular kind of stats is my pet peeve. Every once in a while commentators would throw out stats like X team has won Y % of games when they were leading at the half. It's just silly stats that has no little bearing to the game being played at that moment.

Blackface

Banned
It's so sad to watch what Brandon Roy has become. I just read the article about him on Real GM.

I really don't think Roy understands why he is being limited, or doesn't want to understand.

benjipwns

Banned
linsivvi said:
I realize that, but this particular kind of stats is my pet peeve. Every once in a while commentators would throw out stats like X team has won Y % of games when they were leading at the half. It's just silly stats that has no little bearing to the game being played at that moment.
I was actually agreeing with your point, snarking a bit and saying we can't blame Hollinger entirely since he's been assimilated into the ESPN Hive Mind. (And if people read his books would have long since realized he's not the single minded stat fiend people think he is.)

I was adding in agreement that those kind of "X team wins Y games on Z court" have been around long before the stat stuff started to really take off around 2001. Especially when they justify a media narrative.

Likely my fault for poor wording.

Sanjuro

Fatalah said:
Just heard it on the radio. There are sources online as well if you look for them. This is the quote that got me,

“I believe it happened in warmups,” Stoudemire said of his injury. “I tapped the glass with my left hand and dunked with my right. That’s when I felt it.”

Wonderful time to style Amare.

Fatalah

talisayNon said:
This is the kind of loser thinking that extended the tenures of Eric Mangini, Herm Edwards, Isiaah Thomas and Larry Brown.

He's been given ample time. His ass should be gone after this year.
I was referring to last night's game only, not D'Antoni's entire tenure with the Knicks. These first two games have been positive for D'Antoni's case. To be fair to the man, you can't discount the team he was given his first 3 years. Two of those years were spent freeing cap space. It's been just 3 months with these pieces. Before the midseason trade, that team was earning back the fanbase.Unless Phil Jackson is waiting in the wings, D'Antoni should get another year. Of course, I want to see how the rest of this series goes to change my opinion.

DCX

DCX
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Just heard it on the radio. There are sources online as well if you look for them. This is the quote that got me,

“I believe it happened in warmups,” Stoudemire said of his injury. “I tapped the glass with my left hand and dunked with my right. That’s when I felt it.”

Happens...ive done it stretching and even tying my sneakers.. sometimes shit happens.

DCX

giri

linsivvi said:
Eh, i disagree with the second part of your statement. the X team was won Y% leading at the half speaks about many things. Conditioning, bench strength, good rotations, and players who play out games. The ones where it's "they win X% on a certain court" though, is usually useles.

Also, dirk is still unreal. But portland really needs wes matthews to step up and play like he did to start the season.

But man, Peja had a big game AND he wasn't a liability on D.

I'm still not sure how Dallas got that lead out to 12, and i've watched the 4th quarter twice.

Tyson chandler is amazing defensively though, and haywood isn't complete ass!

Sanjuro

DCX said:
Happens...ive done it stretching and even tying my sneakers.. sometimes shit happens.

DCX
It happens, but before a professional playoff game you are doing stupid shit? No wonder Melo was in beast mode. I would have been pissed at my team as well.

giri

Fatalah said:
I was referring to last night's game only, not D'Antoni's entire tenure with the Knicks. These first two games have been positive for D'Antoni's case. To be fair to the man, you can't discount the team he was given his first 3 years. Two of those years were spent freeing cap space. It's been just 3 months with these pieces. Before the midseason trade, that team was earning back the fanbase.Unless Phil Jackson is waiting in the wings, D'Antoni should get another year. Of course, I want to see how the rest of this series goes to change my opinion.
I'm a mike critic, but these play off games aren't on him. Was it Kerr commentating today? he even said that all the criticism about getting amare the ball was baseless. There were 3 plays specifically run for it, and the C's just blocked it from happening.

He'll get another year, but if this series has proved something to him, it's that to play with the likes of the C's, the team needs to play on both ends. But i don't know if that'll ever happen.

DCX

DCX
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It happens, but before a professional playoff game you are doing stupid shit? No wonder Melo was in beast mode. I would have been pissed at my team as well.
As if Amar'e was the only player to be loose and doing goofy things on a lay up line, VC used to do it all the time. It's one thing to be hurt and do stupid things and another to have a freak thing happen to you while doing stupid things....eh? Well, you now what i mean.

DCX

giri

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
For a guy that athletic, with his vertical, it probably wouldn't have even been that much of a stretch really. If his back was that on edge......

Also, i miss steve kerr as GM.

Fucking sarver.

linsivvi said:
Those kind of stats reflect the difficulty of the situation; ie, it's statistically improbable to come back from a 2-0 deficit or overcome a double digit lead in the 4th on the road or give up 55% FG and win because you have to play near perfect basketball for long stretches against an opponent that until that point has had your number.

I don't think anything that holds true 95% of the time can be hand-waved away as a meaningless stat.

My friend has an internship this semester with the Pacers and got two free tickets to tomorrow's game, asked me to go with him. Super stoked.

I don't post much, but if you go through my history you'll see that I've posted before that I'm a Pacers fan (have been since I was a kid). Just wanted to clear the air before I get called a bandwagoner (can there be a bandwagon if your team is down 2-0?).

Hoping that it's not a sea of red from Bulls fans there like it was in regular season games. Word from local news sources is that the game's sold out, so hopefully locals are picking tickets up and starting to notice that the Pacers are back.

So is it just me and Gigglepoo representing Pacer-GAF?

giri

peppermints said:
My friend has an internship this semester with the Pacers and got two free tickets to tomorrow's game, asked me to go with him. Super stoked.

I don't post much, but if you go through my history you'll see that I've posted before that I'm a Pacers fan (have been since I was a kid). Just wanted to clear the air before I get called a bandwagoner (can there be a bandwagon if your team is down 2-0?).

Hoping that it's not a sea of red from Bulls fans there like it was in regular season games. Word from local news sources is that the game's sold out, so hopefully locals are picking tickets up and starting to notice that the Pacers are back.

So is it just me and Gigglepoo representing Pacer-GAF?
Well, just giggle :p

Blackace said:
So much win in this post
:(

Our new GM's name is babbit, or babby or some fucking stupid thing. How is he meant to fix the team if he can't even fix his fucking name.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

You know nothing. It's happened to me when I was just bending down to get something from the bottom shelf in a supermarket. Shit just happens.

linsivvi

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Those kind of stats reflect the difficulty of the situation; ie, it's statistically improbable to come back from a 2-0 deficit or overcome a double digit lead in the 4th on the road or give up 55% FG and win because you have to play near perfect basketball for long stretches against an opponent that until that point has had your number.

I don't think anything that holds true 95% of the time can be hand-waved away as a meaningless stat.

You and giri both missed the point. On the whole stats like this reflects the difficulty of overcoming the deficits collectively, and it cannot be dismissed since it's just the average of all past games/series.

It is, however, not a useful tool to predict one game or one series because statistics cannot is not meant to apply to one instance when the sample consists of different teams and across different seasons.

Let me give you an example. 1) Heat at home playing against the Nets down 10 with everybody healthy and 2) Cavs on the road playing against the Celtics down 10 with 2 starters hurt. The likelihood of a Heat comeback is much greater than a Cavs comeback and the stats from the past games won't be useful at all, unless we have a lot of games between these teams with these same players and with similar deficits, which we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom