• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Adam Blade said:
2wdccns.gif
Would this be illegal in an NBA game?

g23

European pre-madonna
Ok im pretty stoned at the moment, and I keep asking myself...why can't the Grizz shock the world and win it all?

They have a tremendous frontcourt (arguably one of the best) in Gasol/Randolph.

Tony Allen can lock down the Kobe's and Wade's of the world.

They have that glue guy off the bench in Shane Battier.

Mike Conley is an above average PG who spreads the floor nicely.

They really have a good starting 5 even with a key player like Rudy Gay missing.

& no Rudy Gay is not their best player, ZBO is.

EDIT: And as for their bench, they have a capable scorer in OJ mayo who can go off at any time.

g23 said:
Ok im pretty stoned at the moment, and I keep asking myself...why can't the Grizz shock the world and win it all?

They really have a good starting 5 even with a key player like Rudy Gay missing.

EDIT: And as for their bench, they have a capable scorer in OJ mayo who can go off at any time.

Because they are in a small market and Stern won't allow their most marketable stars to not be showcased, especially ahead of a lockout. This league is rigged.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It's cute that fans of lottery teams are in here talking shit about a 6 seed being down in a series to a 3 seed. I mean, what are the odds of that happening?

bjb

Banned
The Blazers are done. They just look so lifeless out there, and Brandon Roy's career might as well be in the can.

If only they had drafted Durant.

reilo

bjb said:
The Blazers are done. They just look so lifeless out there, and Brandon Roy's career might as well be in the can.

If only they had drafted Durant.
0045_ibek.gif

commish said:
I don't think it has anything to do with him being an athlete. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to find people who don't know about the OKC bombing in any population.

Nope only sports stars wouldn't know this.

captmcblack said:
Never. I'd rather die. I'll never forgive the bullshit ejection in 1997 after the fight. Fuck the Heat, fuck PJ Brown, fuck Zo, fuck Tim Hardaway, fuck Tim Hardaway Jr...but shout out to Dan Majerle. He could shoot perfect even from half court, the crazy bastard. <3

Zo was a G. The Knickerbockers are a POS franchise. Only reason they get any play is because they in NY.

DCX

DCX
supabrett said:
Zo was a G. The Knickerbockers front office were POS . Only reason they get any play is because they in NY.
The Knicks didn't have a clue how to run a team in the last 12 years till Walsh came along. They tried to follow the Yankees blueprint of spend, spend spend and it didn't work.

They are on the right path, they may or may not have the right coach, but the core is in place and we just need to add a couple pieces to be a championship contending team.

DCX

supabrett said:
Zo was a G. The Knickerbockers are a POS franchise. Only reason they get any play is because they in NY.

Fuck you, Zo wasn't even the best guy that came out of his college, or the best player with a broken kidney (Sean Elliott uber alles).

NY > Miami in everything, except for hot Cuban girls.

jjasper

g23 said:

I'm convinced. Plan the parade.

masud

Banned
numble said:
The league should add a "third place" series if they want more revenue.
No, they need to have a reverse tournament (loser moves on) with all the lottery teams to crown the ultimate loser.

numble

masud said:
No, they need to have a reverse tournament (loser moves on) with all the lottery teams to crown the ultimate loser.
Nobody is going to watch if people want to tank. I could see them holding a tournament where winners advance to decide who gets the 1st pick, but that would just encourage seeds 5-8 to try to tank and get out of the playoffs in the hopes of getting a Tim Duncan or Blake Griffin.

masud

Banned
numble said:
Nobody is going to watch if people want to tank. I could see them holding a tournament where winners advance to decide who gets the 1st pick, but that would just encourage seeds 5-8 to try to tank and get out of the playoffs in the hopes of getting a Tim Duncan or Blake Griffin.
Why would they want to tank? They would be playing to avoid shame.

reilo

numble said:
Make it a Bottom 8 tournament with randomly drawn matchups then.

KingGondo

Banned
jjasper said:
I'm convinced. Plan the parade.
Just make sure to ask for some of what he's smoking, otherwise it'll be much harder to hallucinate Beale Street full of Grizz fans with Z-Bo in a convertible flaunting the O'Brien Trophy.

numble

masud said:
Why would they want to tank? They would be playing to avoid shame.
Oh, I see, they don't win anything in the end. That would be okay.

I'm just trying to think out money-making possibilities where they don't cut salaries by as much as the owners want to cut them by, because the players are not going to agree.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
numble said:
The league should add a "third place" series if they want more revenue.
I would definitely watch this. Players would try because there would be a performance bonus involved in winning it.

masud

Banned
A serious idea would be a one and done tournament for all the teams that didn't make the playoffs, sort of like the nba's nit. It couldn't be for the lottery position though. Maybe they could play for more balls in the lottery though...

punkypine

How about you can't be in the lottery for 3 straight years. On the third year, you automatically get your pick at the end of the lottery.

jjasper

KingGondo said:
Just make sure to ask for some of what he's smoking, otherwise it'll be much harder to hallucinate Beale Street full of Grizz fans with Z-Bo in a convertible flaunting the O'Brien Trophy.

zbo-793242.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
jjasper said:
He is exactly why I can't see them ever winning anything without adding lots of steadiness and stability. Sheed never would have won anything without the stability of Ben Wallace, Chauncey, Rip and McDyess around him to mask the crazy.

Also, $71 million over 4 years is absolutely bananas for him. Guarantee he does something crazy over the course of that contract.

captmcblack said:
Fuck you, Zo wasn't even the best guy that came out of his college, or the best player with a broken kidney (Sean Elliott uber alles).

NY > Miami in everything, except for hot Cuban girls.

Why y'all yankees so damn sensitive? It's like you don't believe your own bullshit about NY being the best spot on earth.

Zo & the heat have More titles than them fucks from ny have the last 40 years & if they win this year they'll match your shitty teams' TOTAL. "Storied franchise" lol

jjasper

KingGondo said:
Also, $71 million over 4 years is absolutely bananas for him. Guarantee he does something crazy over the course of that contract.

This is Memphis. No one wants to come here and we have to overpay everyone it is a simple fact (It is why Heisley is adamantly against a hard cap, it would really damage the prospects of being successful here). Not all of it is guaranteed at least although I do wish was a team option on the fourth year not a player. Nor do I think he will do anything stupid, although anything is possible.

KingGondo said:

So amazing.

diehard

Fleer
The Stealth Fox said:
Remember when the Jazz were down 2-0 and got swept twice?
No, and you don't either. Jazz have been swept one time in a 4 games series, and you have to go back 21 years to find the last time they got swept in a 3 game series.

Always great when a Rocket fan relies on the exploits of the Lakers though.

KingGondo

Banned
jjasper said:
This is Memphis. No one wants to come here and we have to overpay everyone it is a simple fact (It is why Heisley is adamantly against a hard cap, it would really damage the prospects of being successful here). Not all of it is guaranteed at least although I do wish was a team option on the fourth year not a player. Nor do I think he will do anything stupid, although anything is possible.
Hmm... Not sure about that part.

I'd be happy for him if he makes more all-star games and turns the Grizz into a top 4 team in the West, but I think him getting arrested or suspended for something stupid is more likely.

In other news, Kendrick Perkins is officially awesome.

ourfriendkendrick1.jpg

http://deadspin.com/#!5793919

jjasper

KingGondo said:
Hmm... Not sure about that part.

I'd be happy for him if he makes more all-star games and turns the Grizz into a top 4 team in the West, but I think him getting arrested or suspended for something stupid is more likely.

So you think he is going to get arrested or suspended before next year? Well I guess it is going to be a long offseason, you could be right.

The Stealth Fox

dIEHARD said:
No, and you don't either. Jazz have been swept one time in a 4 games series, and you have to go back 21 years to find the last time they got swept in a 3 game series.

Always great when a Rocket fan relies on the exploits of the Lakers though.

My bad, they actually won a game in 2009. It was pretty forgettable though, just like anything you say about basketball.

KingGondo

Banned
jjasper said:
So you think he is going to get arrested or suspended before next year? Well I guess it is going to be a long offseason, you could be right.
The contract is governed by the old CBA.

That money's still guaranteed no matter what Zach does.

thekad

Banned
Woj:

When Anthony had a chance to close out the game, he made the safest possible play to ultimately deflect criticism, the one that deep down he knew would free him of blame when it predictably crumbled.

What he needed to say was that he left two plays on the floor in the final seconds, and the Knicks needed more out of him with Stoudemire and Billups reduced to spectators. He’s done little to shed his rep in Denver, which is this: Nothing’s as important as scoring, stats and status. Mostly, ‘Melo was glad he wouldn’t wake up and see himself roasted on the back pages of the tabloids.

Everyone understood Big Baby Davis would blitz Anthony on the final Knicks possession, with them trailing 94-93, and as Ray Allen(notes) told Yahoo! Sports later: “It was interesting, because we had to wonder: When we went at him, was he going to give the ball up?”

It was ‘Melo and four bench players on the floor, and it didn’t matter that he had found several of them for assists in the fourth quarter. Everything changes with the game on the line, and ‘Melo had to choose without a moment’s notice: Could I split the defenders and bet on myself or give the ball to Jared Jeffries(notes) because he happened to be open?

“The way he was scoring, you’d figure he would’ve shot the ball there,” Paul Pierce(notes) said.

Anthony passed to Jared Jeffries near the basket, and Jeffries tried to pass to Bill Walker(notes) to beat the Boston Celtics in an NBA playoff game. Walker had taken 11 shots, and missed 11 shots. Jeffries’ pass never made it past Kevin Garnett(notes), who stole the ball and leapt onto the floor to gather it.

“I made the right play,” Anthony said. “The right play was to go to Jared. … I thought Jared was going to lay it up … I made the right play so I can live with that.”

When the ball leaves your hands for Jeffries, what he does with it is your responsibility. That’s how it works. Here’s something that would never, ever happen: There wasn’t a Boston Celtics star who would’ve let such a brilliant individual performance overshadow a playoff loss. Kobe Bryant(notes) wouldn’t do it. LeBron James(notes) wouldn’t do it. Derrick Rose(notes). And on and on.

This series is far from over, but ‘Melo needed to let everyone else celebrate this magnificent performance and hold himself to a higher standard, a superstar’s standard. And that isn’t going, ‘Hey, I gave the ball to a lousy player, who made a lousy decision so how’s that on me?’

Woj is often wrong, but he hits the nail on the head here. Melo choked, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom