• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
giri said:
Also, dirk is still unreal. But portland really needs wes matthews to step up and play like he did to start the season.

Yeah if there's anyplace that the matchup should go 100% in portland's favor, it's with Matthews and the 2-guard position as a whole. Right now the mavs have gotten lucky, virtually at a push with this matchup. But if matthews/roy/rudy can get back on track, this series goes to 7 close games. Neckbeard is a good defender but he can't hold matthews in check for this series.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Become a Heat fan?

Never. I'd rather die. I'll never forgive the bullshit ejection in 1997 after the fight. Fuck the Heat, fuck PJ Brown, fuck Zo, fuck Tim Hardaway, fuck Tim Hardaway Jr...but shout out to Dan Majerle. He could shoot perfect even from half court, the crazy bastard. <3

Also, I have such mixed emotions about this loss. It is sort of like when the Jets play the Patriots - the absolute clockwork-perfect execution of the C's, just like the Pats, is the difference in these endless close games. They just don't make punishable mistakes unless and until your personnel is designed equally perfectly to counter and beat them.

The Knicks again overcame a shitload of things - Billy Walker channelling his inner Starks to shoot 0 for the universe in the game in 33 minutes, a Fields who finally looks like a deer caught in the headlights, an injured Stoudemire, an injured Billups, a gimpy Turiaf, no Shelden Williams, decimated bench depth - to play the Celtics again to a standoff and to again either be tied or hold a slim lead with little time left in the game. They fought like fucking warriors for another game and came close again to stealing a game in Boston's house. Carmelo Anthony showed PRECISELY why the trade was made - that man was like a fucking force of nature or something. The bench guys that did play - Douglas, Carter, Extra E, even Jeffries - played good and sometimes even great ball. The Knicks defense again was shockingly competent.

But again, they came up just a little short. Again, they couldn't get the kind of perfect execution that begets lucky breaks. Again, they lost in the last minute. There's been 96 minutes of basketball played between these two teams in the playoffs, and the Knicks have been very good arguably for 94 of them. It's those last two minutes that the Celtics excel in, and that's why they've won a title, competed for another, and could do it again this year.

This loss burns just like the first, and this time it was officiated pretty fairly, so I can't even feel cheated...just disappointed in the outcome. But it is so good to feel so bad this deep into Spring about basketball again.

I haven't been so happily disappointed since 2001. Anyway, it is time to go to war in the real Garden. If there is some astral force that wants justice in the world, we will get our guys healthy and ready to play. We will send Billups/Fields/Melo/Stat/Turiaf out there with the bench mob ready to back them up, and we will take that third game from the Celtics.

My head is bloodied, but unbowed, NBA-Age.

bionic77

Partner gave me 2 seats about 13 rows behind Heat bench for tomorrow. I am going to channel my inner Zep and hope the Sixers blow the Heat the fuck out.

Sanjuro

commish said:
You know nothing. It's happened to me when I was just bending down to get something from the bottom shelf in a supermarket. Shit just happens.
Wait, me or Amare? I'm just posting his quote from an article. If you are talking about me, I know plenty about bad backs and the silly things that it will break on.

I've fucked mine during a pickup baseball game diving for a catch and another time just picking up dropped keys.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Wait, me or Amare? I'm just posting his quote from an article. If you are talking about me, I know plenty about bad backs and the silly things that it will break on.

I've fucked mine during a pickup baseball game diving for a catch and another time just picking up dropped keys.

Yeah, I just misread what you wrote. I thought you were getting on Amare's case for tapping the glass as he did he layup.

KingGondo

Banned
TylerD said:
So he grew up in LA and was 7 yrs old when it happened. While disappointing, it is not impossible that he never heard about it.

He is fresh now though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgtnTj9HsI
Russ is quite the local entrepreneur. Ozarka, Bancfirst, that car dealership ad...

And re: the bombing: not knowing about it until he moved here doesn't make him a "dumbass," it makes him ignorant. It's one of those events that you probably only remember extremely vividly if you're of a certain age, and 7 years old is definitely in the wheelhouse. I was around 12 when it happened, plus I had family in Oklahoma (I lived in Colorado at the time).

But I could definitely see a 7 year-old living in LA not knowing much/anything about it. Oklahoma might as well be a foreign country to most people living on the coasts.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
alr1ghtstart said:
I am shocked. Completely shocked.
KingGondo said:
Russ is quite the local entrepreneur. Ozarka, Bancfirst, that car dealership ad...

And re: the bombing: not knowing about it until he moved here doesn't make him a "dumbass," it makes him ignorant. It's one of those events that you probably only remember extremely vividly if you're of a certain age, and 7 years old is definitely in the wheelhouse. I was around 12 when it happened, plus I had family in Oklahoma (I lived in Colorado at the time).

But I could definitely see a 7 year-old living in LA not knowing much/anything about it. Oklahoma might as well be a foreign country to most people living on the coasts.
I lived in Europe at the time the OKC Bombing happened, and even I knew about it. It's called basic US History.

KingGondo said:

Very true. Most people who've never visited think Oklahoma is a flat, boring, featureless state too.
Which it kinda is, apart from a few specific areas :(

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
I am shocked. Completely shocked.

I lived in Europe at the time the OKC Bombing happened, and even I knew about it. It's called basic US History.
Have you seen any of those recent national polls discussing how many young Americans are ignorant about "basic US History?"

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/report/pdf/11-20-08/civic_literacy_report_08-09.pdf

I'm sure a kid growing up in LA whose entire life revolved around basketball from a very young age could easily fall into the (sadly) large group that doesn't know much of anything about history, even recent US History. Wonder how many people Russ's age even know that 9/11 was the second terrorist attack on the World Trade Center?

reilo

Just wait until Westbrook goes to visit New York one day and finds out what happened on September 11th, 2001.

KingGondo said:
Have you seen any of those recent national polls discussing how many young Americans are ignorant about "basic US History?"

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/report/pdf/11-20-08/civic_literacy_report_08-09.pdf

I'm sure a kid growing up in LA whose entire life revolved around basketball from a very young age could easily fall into the (sadly) large group that doesn't know much of anything about history, even recent US History. Wonder how many people Russ's age even know that 9/11 was the second terrorist attack on the World Trade Center?
I do? I'm a product of the US public system, too. It's common knowledge, period.

Puddles

Banned
Wonder if Kobe will get shoved into the floor and called for a turnover in the closing minutes of Game 2. Would be kinda funny if that happened again. Kinda like if Utah were in the playoffs, and we faced them and lost because of a corrupt shot-clock operator.

SamuraiX-

reilo, what do you make of this?

Roy Disappointed With How McMillan Treated Him In Game 2

RealGM said:
Brandon Roy was Portland's last substitute in Tuesday's Game 2 loss at Dallas.

“I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hurt, or disappointed,'' Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it's tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.''

Roy played a scoreless 7:59, missed his only shot from the field, missed both of his free throws, and made one turnover.

Roy said he believes he can still help this team, but he can't do it the way Nate McMillan used him in Game 2.

“I come in the last sub of the first quarter … then OK, I'm in there for (2:36), then I play, then it's the end of the quarter,'' Roy said. “Then I start the second and Bam! I'm right back on the bench again. I mean, I don't know what I could have done! Then I sit, and he puts Patty and Rudy in before me. I know physically I have to play, but mentally, how do I just go …''

Roy said he and McMillan had not spoken, and that he didn't plan on approaching McMillan on the team's long flight home.

“I think my nature I've never been one to confront. Never been the one to create controversy,'' Roy said. “I think coach is comfortable with his guys and it's hard for him to get me back in there. If that's what he is comfortable with, then I'm going to try and support the team. And if he can get us past (the first round), then he can. I just always thought I would be treated a little better, but … it is what it is. I'll be all right. I'll go home see my kids, and be happy.''

I couldn't watch much of the game last night, but is he being reasonable or just being a little bitch?

reilo said:
Just wait until Westbrook goes to visit New York one day and finds out what happened on September 11th, 2001..

omg lmfao

Derwind said:
Weird thing is, I was five + 1/2 and I remember hearing it. And I live in Canada.

Shoot, they had announced it on the P.A. system for the whole school to hear. =(

Sad day that was.

I remember physically hearing it from 20 miles away. Strangely enough was in the middle of my 8th grade Oklahoma History class. Teacher passed it off as a sonic boom. Then I went to mynext class and watched in horror as the aftermath was shown on TV. It was a very surreal time, especially in a place that just doesn't seem like somewhere bombings would ever happen.

Dude Abides

Banned
Puddles said:
Wonder if Kobe will get shoved into the floor and called for a turnover in the closing minutes of Game 2. Would be kinda funny if that happened again. Kinda like if Utah were in the playoffs, and we faced them and lost because of a corrupt shot-clock operator.

That looked more like he was off balance and tripped over his own feet to me. I can't find a video but I didn't see much of a push.

SamuraiX-

The best part is the Thunder fans engaging Westbrook Defense Force to try and defend his intelligence.

Even if you don't hear about that shit in the classroom, it comes up eventually. I'm gonna guess he slept through history class though. I'm sure I remember hearing about it at least once in every history class I've ever had since elementary school.

But who fucking cares? He's gonna be making more money in the last two years of his rookie contract than all of us here combined will make in our lifetime.

I'll take being uneducated if I was making that kinda bank.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
I do? I'm a product of the US public system, too. It's common knowledge, period.
I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about younger Americans in general.

It wouldn't be shocking to me if more than 10% of people Russ's age don't really know about the OKC bombing (such as when and why it happened, who did it, etc.), and think about how many people that actually is.

To be fair, this is a kid who uses "too" instead of "to" in his Twitter posts... probably safe to say he didn't get much of an education.

Mystagogue said:
I remember physically hearing it from 20 miles away. Strangely enough was in the middle of my 8th grade Oklahoma History class. Teacher passed it off as a sonic boom. Then I went to mynext class and watched in horror as the aftermath was shown on TV. It was a very surreal time, especially in a place that just doesn't seem like somewhere bombings would ever happen.
I remember it happening vividly even though I lived in Denver at the time... What really brought it home was when I was working in downtown OKC a couple of summers ago in a building less than a block away from the bombing site.

A couple of the secretaries in that office lost siblings/parents in the bombing, and I can't imagine how loud it must have been from that close. Terrible stuff.

SamuraiX- said:
The best part is the Thunder fans engaging Westbrook Defense Force to try and defend his intelligence.
I'm not defending his intelligence, but there's definitely a difference between being literally "stupid" and simply being ignorant.

reilo

SamuraiX- said:
reilo, what do you make of this?

Roy Disappointed With How McMillan Treated Him In Game 2

I couldn't watch much of the game last night, but is he being reasonable or just being a little bitch?

omg lmfao
Read the article carefully. Real GM is taking shit out of context:

“I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hurt, or disappointed,'' Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it's tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.''

Earlier in the day, Roy said he is frustrated that people think his biggest obstacles are his knees. His knees, which were both operated on in January, feel good, he says.
That's an exact quote that Quick wrote. Now re-read what Real GM wrote and the order the quotes appear in.

Roy is talking about the fan treatment he's receiving, not Nate.

commish

Since 9/11, I can count the number of times I've heard or read about the OKC bombings on one hand.

Sanjuro

commish said:
Yeah, I just misread what you wrote. I thought you were getting on Amare's case for tapping the glass as he did he layup.
Well I mean I need to see the dunk, if he was just being stupid now is not the time to do that. But I agree a hotel room could do as much damage as a dunk with back issues.

reilo

KingGondo said:
I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about younger Americans in general.
Westbrook is less than two years younger than me.

It wouldn't be shocking to me if more than 10% of people Russ's age don't really know about the OKC bombing (such as when and why it happened, who did it, etc.), and think about how many people that actually is.

To be fair, this is a kid who uses "too" instead of "to" in his Twitter posts... probably safe to say he didn't get much of an education.

I remember it happening vividly even though I lived in Denver at the time... What really brought it home was when I was working in downtown OKC a couple of summers ago in a building less than a block away from the bombing site.

A couple of the secretaries in that office lost siblings/parents in the bombing, and I can't imagine how loud it must have been from that close. Terrible stuff.

I'm not defending his intelligence, but there's definitely a difference between being literally "stupid" and simply being ignorant.
Since when are "ignorance" and "stupidity" mutually exclusive?

Derwind

Mystagogue said:

Dude you have my sympathies, the worst thing I've ever witnessed happening when I was in grade school was some drunk, angry guy having a joy ride on our field at high speed with 4 cop cars chasing him. They put the school in lockdown and told us to go under our desks, but since I was sitting right beside the window, I could see everything taking place.

I wouldn't know how to process a huge attack like the OKC bombing happening so close to home. :(

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:
I didn't say they are, and I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight and be so contrarian.

I honestly have no idea how intelligent Westbrook is in everyday life, and I've been the one pointing out more examples of his apparent lack of formal education. I'm simply stating that just because he appears to be poorly versed in certain areas doesn't mean that he has a low IQ.

reilo said:
GoldStarSticker.jpg

captmcblack said:
Never. I'd rather die. I'll never forgive the bullshit ejection in 1997 after the fight. Fuck the Heat, fuck PJ Brown, fuck Zo, fuck Tim Hardaway, fuck Tim Hardaway Jr...but shout out to Dan Majerle. He could shoot perfect even from half court, the crazy bastard. <3

Also, I have such mixed emotions about this loss. It is sort of like when the Jets play the Patriots - the absolute clockwork-perfect execution of the C's, just like the Pats, is the difference in these endless close games. They just don't make punishable mistakes unless and until your personnel is designed equally perfectly to counter and beat them.

The Knicks again overcame a shitload of things - Billy Walker channelling his inner Starks to shoot 0 for the universe in the game in 33 minutes, a Fields who finally looks like a deer caught in the headlights, an injured Stoudemire, an injured Billups, a gimpy Turiaf, no Shelden Williams, decimated bench depth - to play the Celtics again to a standoff and to again either be tied or hold a slim lead with little time left in the game. They fought like fucking warriors for another game and came close again to stealing a game in Boston's house. Carmelo Anthony showed PRECISELY why the trade was made - that man was like a fucking force of nature or something. The bench guys that did play - Douglas, Carter, Extra E, even Jeffries - played good and sometimes even great ball. The Knicks defense again was shockingly competent.

But again, they came up just a little short. Again, they couldn't get the kind of perfect execution that begets lucky breaks. Again, they lost in the last minute. There's been 96 minutes of basketball played between these two teams in the playoffs, and the Knicks have been very good arguably for 94 of them. It's those last two minutes that the Celtics excel in, and that's why they've won a title, competed for another, and could do it again this year.

This loss burns just like the first, and this time it was officiated pretty fairly, so I can't even feel cheated...just disappointed in the outcome. But it is so good to feel so bad this deep into Spring about basketball again.

I haven't been so happily disappointed since 2001. Anyway, it is time to go to war in the real Garden. If there is some astral force that wants justice in the world, we will get our guys healthy and ready to play. We will send Billups/Fields/Melo/Stat/Turiaf out there with the bench mob ready to back them up, and we will take that third game from the Celtics.

My head is bloodied, but unbowed, NBA-Age.

A f'ing men on all counts. Can't wait for Friday night.

reilo

KingGondo said:
I didn't say they are, and I don't understand why you're trying to pick a fight and be so contrarian.

I honestly have no idea how intelligent Westbrook is in everyday life, and I've been the one pointing out more examples of his apparent lack of formal education. I'm simply stating that just because he appears to be poorly versed in certain areas doesn't mean that he has a low IQ.

GoldStarSticker.jpg
Okay, let me frame this in the proper context.

I am a foreign born naturalized citizen with a public US education that is two years older than Westbrook. Which means I was 9 when OKC bombing happened and lived in Europe at the time.

Either you're saying that I'm exceptionally smart (ie, top 10 percentile as you stated earlier), or that it's okay for Westbrook to be "ignorant" or "stupid" or whatever semantic adjective you want to use because others his age might not know about it. Either way, it's inexcusable.

commish

reilo said:

I am a foreign born naturalized citizen with a public US education that is two years older than Westbrook. Which means I was 9 when OKC bombing happened and lived in Europe at the time.

Either you're saying that I'm exceptionally smart (ie, top 10 percentile as you stated earlier), or that it's okay for Westbrook to be "ignorant" or "stupid" or whatever semantic adjective you want to use because others his age might not know about it. Either way, it's inexcusable.

Get over it. Seriously. You're smarter than Westbrook. He's a stupid poo poo head. Who the fuck cares?

reilo said:

He was probably one of those guys that didn't really do shit in Highschool, his teachers most likely passed him so that he could lead their team to a chance at a state title. That's how my school did it. Most of my friends played sports and the good ones hardly had to do any work.

reilo

commish said:
Get over it. Seriously. You're smarter than Westbrook. He's a stupid poo poo head. Who the fuck cares?
I personally think it's a fascinating discussion on the US school athletic system and how we are willing to give athletes a pass for lacking basic knowledge about recent US history.

StickSoldier said:
He was probably one of those guys that didn't really do shit in Highschool, his teachers most likely passed him so that he could lead their team to a chance at a state title. That's how my school did it. Most of my friends played sports and the good ones hardly had to do any work.
Lovely.

DeAndre-Jordan.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-2.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-3.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-4.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-5.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-6.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-7.jpg

Just showing you what you will never have, Frankman.

Well, Westbrick being ignorant and venerated just reflects on the overall intellectual aptitude (or lack thereof) of Jokelahoma in general.

commish

reilo said:
I personally think it's a fascinating discussion on the US school athletic system and how we are willing to give athletes a pass for lacking basic knowledge about recent US history.

I don't think it has anything to do with him being an athlete. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to find people who don't know about the OKC bombing in any population.

KingGondo

Banned
reilo said:

You completely misunderstood what I said. The 10% that I was talking about was the percentage I said that probably doesn't know about basic US history. In fact, it's probably higher. My point was that even 10% (probably a low estimate) still amounts to millions of ignorant young people who don't know shit.

commish said:
Ha.

reilo said:
It sucks, but it's reality. That's all we're talking about. At least Russ probably took his own SATs.

*probably

snack said:
Is that Aunt Jemima on his abdomen?
What's your excuse? Were you a superstar athlete in high school too?

reilo

commish said:
I don't think it has anything to do with him being an athlete. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be difficult to find people who don't know about the OKC bombing in any population.
I think some of it has to do with him being an athlete. Hell, just a month ago everybody in the sports world was basically in shock when they read the Grant Hill rebuttal to Jalen Rose because of how well written it was. "An athlete can write like that?"

Fair or not, we think of athletes as people without a proper education. It's why the NBA has the age limit in place, it's why we have terms like "Basketball IQ".

In cases like this with Westbrook not knowing about the OKC bombing, it certainly doesn't help. He's a 22-year old US native that has been living in OKC for three years now and didn't know about one of the largest domestic terror acts in its history? This happened in 1995. He should at be least smart enough not to admit that he did not know about the OKC bombings.

If you were to ask him about certain pop culture in 1995, I'm sure he'd be able to give you answers about those.

Zep

Banned
So whats up with Roy throwing Mcmillan under the bus? He's played like ass this series, so why should he get more burn?! Dude has some serious issues to work out about where his game is right now.

snack

I can respect the fact that he wants to help his team win. But I've got a hard time respecting the decision to take his complaints public. Seems to me those two actions are contradictory. If he really wants to help his team win, he should keep these kind of comments in the locker room.

DCX

DCX
Adam Blade said:
DeAndre-Jordan.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-2.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-3.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-4.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-5.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-6.jpg

DeAndre-Jordan-7.jpg

Just showing you what you will never have, Frankman.

Well, Westbrick being ignorant and venerated just reflects on the overall intellectual aptitude (or lack thereof) of Jokelahoma in general.
My body is ready...

for 2012

DCX

snack

McMillan didn't play him because he was ineffective. It's that simple and it was the right decision. He plays like a shadow of his former self.

I want him to be happy and successful and regain his role as a leader, play-maker, and star on this team, but he hasn't shown that he's ready. It's also ironic that Roy says he's not one to create controversy, yet his statements here do exactly that.

snack said:
McMillan didn't play him because he was ineffective. It's that simple and it was the right decision. He plays like a shadow of his former self.

I want him to be happy and successful and regain his role as a leader, play-maker, and star on this team, but he hasn't shown that he's ready. It's also ironic that Roy says he's not one to create controversy, yet his statements here do exactly that.

He really looked bad on the court. I dont blame McMillan for taking him out when he did, he wasn't doing shit, and if Broy can't see that than he's delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom