• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT| Don't Compare Refs to Cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Black Mamba said:
So we're assuming a 50/50 in which case you win all 4 on 6.5% of the time. If it's a road game 7, the percentages drop dramatically for the final game. And honestly, if you're down 3-0, I think the percentages are no longer 50/50 because of psychological factors.

Confidence plays a large part of sports. If a team was down 3-0 and forced a seventh game, they would have all the momentum in the world.

Look at this Pacers/Bulls match up, for instance. Pacers have been a hair away from winning each game, right? But Rose bailed out the Bulls each time. He's a great player. But if the Pacers pull this game out, that would give them some confidence, and plant a seed of doubt in the Bulls. Rose won't always be able to come through. And if they somehow steal Game 5? Rose realizes he isn't immortal and their already shaky roll players are even more inconsistent.

Failure breeds more failure, and that's how big comebacks happen.

The Chosen One said:
They should just call a mercy rule when a team takes a 3-0 lead. It's pretty much a pointless exercise beyond that point. It's why I think we should go back to a 5 game series for the first round. At least in the later rounds, teams have a remote chance to come back from 3-0 or 3-1 to make the series competitive. But in the first round when a team takes a lead like that, it's always a snooze-fest. Just makes it more likely that good players will get injured or fatigued.

I am a damn psychic. :(

Tom Penny

So basically Stat has already given up and called it quits on the Knicks. He's talking like his injury is career threatening.

"It has to be better. I knew last night I wasn't 100 percent. I wasn't 50 percent last night. I was pretty much in pain the whole game, from start to finish. I just don't want to further injure the injury," Stoudemire said. "We understand how bright the future is here with the organization. ... We want to continue that success out here in the next few years. So we don't want to damage anything by overdoing it."

Gigglepoo said:
Confidence plays a large part of sports. If a team was down 3-0 and forced a seventh game, they would have all the momentum in the world.

Look at this Pacers/Bulls match up, for instance. Pacers have been a hair away from winning each game, right? But Rose bailed out the Bulls each time. He's a great player. But if the Pacers pull this game out, that would give them some confidence, and plant a seed of doubt in the Bulls. Rose won't always be able to come through. And if they somehow steal Game 5? Rose realizes he isn't immortal and their already shaky roll players are even more inconsistent.

Failure breeds more failure, and that's how big comebacks happen.

We saw this a few years ago. Mavs up 3-0, Portland came back to force game 7. And the Blazers got blown the fuck out.

I agree with your general point that confidence plays a large part, but that also means game 4 becomes almost impossible and game 5, especially on the road, even more-so. Most 3-0 leads end in a sweep. Now, could the reverse happen? Possibly. But it would take an extraordinary effort to get there and then game 7 becomes an issue of "pride" for the other team as well.

SamuraiX- said:
Jesus Christ.

You would think Rose was playing back in Chicago right now.

Indiana should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
The bulls announcers said there's more Bulls fans in red in the lower bowl of the arena than there are Pacers fans.

dream

Tom Penny said:
So basically Stat has already given up and called it quits on the Knicks. He's talking like his injury is career threatening.

His injury that he got from showboating during warmups.

It doesn't even matter. New York has given up on the Knicks.

Bread

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Jesus Christ.

You would think Rose was playing back in Chicago right now.

Indiana should be fucking ashamed of themselves.
Yeah I thought Indiana had a pretty loyal sports fan base, but I guess the brawl in 04 fucked things up beyond repair.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Who in the hell scheduled the games they way they are right now?

What happened to the 40 games 40 nights thing NBA was running

Too many games are overlapping each other, might just be me, but it feels too stacked

GraveRobberX said:
Who in the hell scheduled the games they way they are right now?

What happened to the 40 games 40 nights thing NBA was running

Too many games are overlapping each other, might just be me, but it feels too stacked

NBA has 1 too many rounds already

Gigglepoo

Black Mamba said:
But it would take an extraordinary effort to get there and then game 7 becomes an issue of "pride" for the other team as well.

Definitely. I'm not saying it's likely, but it could happen. Do you remember Wade in his second season? The Heat were playing the heavily favored Pacers and he went crazy. Vintage Wade. The Pacers still pulled out the series in six, but a lesser team could have failed. I could picture a scenario where a young player gets knocked down early and then unleashes the dragon in the next four games.

GraveRobberX

Are they playing in Chicago?, so much Red in the stands

LOL @ announcer "Is this a Bulls Home game?"

SamuraiX- said:
How shocking that all the Bulls fans at the arena look like the epitome of the modern day douchebag.

You ain't hood if you don't keep your 50/50 sticker on your hat.

dream said:
If the Bulls win this game, Rose coming back after getting hurt will become a legendary moment.

LOL, no.

Gigglepoo

dream said:
If the Bulls win this game, Rose coming back after getting hurt will become a legendary moment.

He didn't even limp off the court! Psycho T coming back in Game 1 was much more impressive, and that too will be forgotten in a week.

Zep

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Definitely. I'm not saying it's likely, but it could happen. Do you remember Wade in his second season? The Heat were playing the heavily favored Pacers and he went crazy. Vintage Wade. The Pacers still pulled out the series in six, but a lesser team could have failed. I could picture a scenario where a young player gets knocked down early and then unleashes the dragon in the next four games.

That was his rookie year, wasn't it? If Shaq wasn't playing in that series then it had to be...

GraveRobberX

Rodeo Clown said:
The problem is that the NBA extended the first round to 7 games. Best of 5 first round was awesome.

I know they did it cause of the $$$$ behind it

The best of 5 was awesome, didn't Denver and someone else (think NYK during the semi-lockout) shock #1 seeds

At least it makes the series either very easy for the top seeds, or makes the top seeds shit bricks, if lower seed takes 2-0, 2-1 advantage

Gigglepoo

Zep said:
That was his rookie year, wasn't it? If Shaq wasn't playing in that series then it had to be...

You're right. He was scary.

You could have given me 15 guess and I wouldn't have known who the Heat beat in the first round that season.

exarkun

SamuraiX- said:
I feel almost disgusted enough to turn this off.

Motherfucking bandwagonning fair-weathers.

It kind of sucks, but its refreshing to see Chicago bandwagoners after the normal rotation of Laker bandwagoners of the last few years. Maybe the Heat will get a couple bandwagon fans after this year to help fill out their home playoff games.

dream

SamuraiX- said:

Shut up. You will never forget where you were when Rose got hurt and came back to lead his Bulls to a first round victory on 5-18 shooting and 3 assists.

SamuraiX- said:

It's possible they just made the trip. It's only 3ish hours between each other. I drove 5 to see the bulls when they went to miami earlier this year

GraveRobberX said:
I know they did it cause of the $$$$ behind it

The best of 5 was awesome, didn't Denver and someone else (think NYK during the semi-lockout) shock #1 seeds

At least it makes the series either very easy for the top seeds, or makes the top seeds shit bricks, if lower seed takes 2-0, 2-1 advantage

5 game series definitely gives underdogs a better chance. Kobe actually would have taken the Smush/Kwame Lakers to the second round if the first round had still been a 5 game series.

Also it ends uncompetitive series quicker.

GraveRobberX

The seating is hilarious, it's almost a soccer stadium vibe

All Chicago fans on one side, all Indy fans on other side, whenever someone scores/fouls/whatever only that section for that team cheers lol

Rose has now totally forgotten he's actually a point guard. Numerous times already he could have given his teammates an easy deuce but he's choosing to take it himself every time.

Gigglepoo

The Chosen One said:
Rose has now totally forgotten he's actually a point guard. Numerous times already he could have given his teammates an easy deuce but he's choosing to take it himself every time.

Doesn't he have more turnovers than assists this series? Doesn't he have less total assists than CP3 had in Game 1?

GraveRobberX

The Chosen One said:

MVP! MVP! MVP! chants seeping into the head?

Zep

Banned
exarkun said:
Noah is seriously a game changer. Wow at his rebounding and putbacks. He fights for that ball.

Which is surprising because I thought Indiana's big men were active enough to keep him from changing the game like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom