• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Playoffs |OT2| Love Jesus or I'll cut you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Mamba said:
Eh, last night wasn't Kobe's fault, it was everyone else's. Kobe's 1st few shots were within the context of the offense and were open shots he has to take. The team played fine. It was in the 3rd quarter when the team started reeling that Kobe took over. At that moment, 1 of 3 things can happen. Kobe forces is too much and ruins the game, the Lakers join him and exert their will, or they beg Kobe to bail em out. For some reason they went with option 3. I've seen all 3 happen all the time, but last night Kobe didn't force it until the end when it became obvious he had to do it. Don't forget, he TRIED to get Pau going by having him post up to watch him turn it over. He went to the other side of the court a couple times and Lamar brought the ball to him even though Kobe wasn't demanding it. The team got dumb.

You can say this about every fan base. Only difference is LA is one of the biggest cities in the world and it's a worldwide franchise, so you'll encounter more of them by sheer brute force of the numbers. Most LAL fans are as smart as any of em.

And his pure bandwagon claim is total bullshit. Dodger Stadium always did well even though the team was pretty mediocre in the post-strike era until McCourt took over. And the stadium was terrible at the time too. Only reason the fans are finally bailing is to protest McCourt and McCourt alone for being a scumbag. Lakers ratings have always been high, even between the Magic era and Shaq/Kobe era or the 3 down years for the Kobe era. USC fills up the Coliseum all the time, even before Pete Carrol came.

Hell, realize that the Clippers have been one of the most profitable franchises in the NBA over the past 20 seasons. Thing about that. They are a terrible basketball team and they still make a lot of money.

Sure, we're bandwagony like anyone else. But we're not that unique in this.

edit: Sanjuro has 0% right to say anything about Laker fans being bandwagon fans, lest he forget his stadium chanting MVP for Kobe Bean Bryant. Boston Celtics fans were hardly to be found until 2008.

Don't misunderstand me I am not saying were unique by any means and that there are just as many true life-longs as frauds but living on the West Coast your going to just run into a lot of band-wagoners.

Watching the game again this morning there was just a lot of stuff not working for us that should hopefully be rectified. Bynum had a lot of really good looks at the basket that just weren't falling for him and aside from the 1st quarter it was the same story with Pau. Artest looked like he was 0 for 100 shots and the whole bench played terrible. Only Kobe played great along with a couple helping hands from Fish.

I expect a lot of that(aside from bitch pau) to be up to snuff next game.

dream said:
I don't...understand the...second from the left...person...I mean...it's obviously a guy...but it's obviously not trying to hide it...but it's obviously trying to look feminine...but...it's...I don't get it.

Doesn't stop Lady Gaga.

Looking at those type of stats are futile. How many of those are with less than 3 seconds off an inbounds pass? How many are over double teams near the buzzer? Who is catch & shooting vs off the dribble (something tells me Rashard Lewis takes easier "clutch" shots). Who is shooting 3s versus 2s?

Why is hitting a basket down 1 with 24 left more clutch than hitting a basket up 1? Why aren't FTs included. Is drawing a foul with under 24 seconds left not a "clutch" play? Or how many passes to a wide open player or that leads to a foul. Etc.

the truth is, the idea of "clutch" is overstated. There are only a select few "unclutch" players, but for the most part, players are no different in the "clutch" than otherwise.

I think the one problem for the Lakers is that they run a wing iso to death with Kobe in the clutch, which is a poor offensive play no matter what time of the game it is, instead of running the offense more normally. Those other teams tend to run better plays.

Kobe's always at his best playing off the ball. I wish the lakers end of game offense would utilize that more.

edit: Of course, sample size is a huge issue there.

Black Mamba said:
Looking at those type of stats are futile. How many of those are with less than 3 seconds off an inbounds pass? How many are over double teams near the buzzer? Who is catch & shooting vs off the dribble (something tells me Rashard Lewis takes easier "clutch" shots). Who is shooting 3s versus 2s?

Why is hitting a basket down 1 with 24 left more clutch than hitting a basket up 1? Why aren't FTs included. Is drawing a foul with under 24 seconds left not a "clutch" play? Or how many passes to a wide open player or that leads to a foul. Etc.

the truth is, the idea of "clutch" is overstated. There are only a select few "unclutch" players, but for the most part, players are no different in the "clutch" than otherwise.

I think the one problem for the Lakers is that they run a wing iso to death with Kobe in the clutch, which is a poor offensive play no matter what time of the game it is, instead of running the offense more normally. Those other teams tend to run better plays.

Kobe's always at his best playing off the ball. I wish the lakers end of game offense would utilize that more.

WHY ARE YOU FEEDING THE TROLL AND HIS SON?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Rodeo Clown said:
Simmons compared Westbrook to Marbury in his column today. NBA Age is always ahead of the curve.
I've already begun the "Lebron James is a tall Russell Westbrook" shtick, which, going by transitive property, makes Lebron James a "tall Stephon Marbury".

I like it.

Blackface

Banned
thekad said:
29lg3uo.jpg

and in the playoffs

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:

I am mostly just trolling by posting that, but no sample size is not an issue at all. What a fucking dumb thing to say.

Black Mamba said:

Exactly the stats don't take into account how insane the shots he makes are. Everyone knows the ball is going to him the defense plans for it but sometimes it doesn't matter how many hands are in his face or how off balance he is when the ball goes in like that its absolutely incredible.

exarkun said:
LOL. hahaha

thekad has been trolling for like 24 hours straight now, I used to think its dumb but its been kind of worth it.
again, how has he survived a banning based on new forum rules? this is unbelievable...

reilo

Blackface and thekad trolling in tandem is like watching Mudflaps and Skidpads in Transformers 2.

Blackface

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Exactly the stats don't take into account how insane the shots he makes are. Everyone knows the ball is going to him the defense plans for it but sometimes it doesn't matter how many hands are in his face or how off balance he is when the ball goes in like that its absolutely incredible.

Black Mamba can't make that argument because he has discredited the same argument when talking about other players.

He is the definition of a hypocrite.

Yes Kobe is clutch, I just post things like that to see Black mamba flip flop on his own arguments like a pleb.

exarkun said:
LOL. hahaha

thekad has been trolling for like 24 hours straight now, I used to think its dumb but its been kind of worth it.

24 Hours? Try the last 7 months. Kad talks about Kobe so much I honestly can't remember what team he likes.

Below are Kobe's career playoff numbers in this situation. Overall, Bryant is 7-25 on potential go-ahead or game-tying FGA in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime of postseason games, good for a 28.0 FG percentage. The league average on these shots over Kobe's career (the past 15 postseasons) is about 28.1 percent, so Kobe is basically right at the NBA average over the course of his career.

Anyone have MJ's numbers?

SamuraiX-

viakado said:
from left to right:
dancing jesus, pimpwerx, mob, cerrius, and pheeniks

I laughed way too fucking hard.

And statistically LeCrabKing is more clutch than Ray Allen?

Is this real fucking life?

Blackface

Banned
SamuraiX- said:

Ya it's from an ESPN article. The same article points out the GM's and players said Kobe was the most clutch. But they also said John Wall was going to win rookie of the year, Durant the MVP and were wrong about everything else they were polled on.

It was the ultimate troll article.

reilo

Blackface said:
Unlike Kobe, Jordan doesn't let the game get close.

http://www.thetanooki.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/michael-jordan.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]
Quiet down Skidpads.

numble

SamuraiX- said:

It counts from the last 15 years. If they just did the last 5 years, I'm sure Ray is higher.

ryutaro's mama said:
WHY ARE YOU FEEDING THE TROLL AND HIS SON?

I was more expanding on Reilo's comment than feeding trax. But I won't let him just call me a hypocrite, so I have to respond now. :D

I am mostly just trolling by posting that, but no sample size is not an issue at all. What a fucking dumb thing to say.

Of course sample size is an issue here. I would tread lightly here, because you're entering something I am certain to know vastly more about.

Black Mamba can't make that argument because he has discredited the same argument when talking about other players.

He is the definition of a hypocrite.

Yes Kobe is clutch, I just post things like that to see Black mamba flip flop on his own arguments like a pleb.

I did not discredit any other players EXCEPT Rashard Lewis. In fact, I never even mentioned which of those things I listed are things Kobe does. I simply put it out there to explain why comparing any players like this is a futile exercise, not Kobe specifically. You simply made assumptions and were wrong.

Then I went to complain about how the Lakers utilize Kobe at the end of games, not related to those stats. Just a general comment about the team I watch.

Blackface

Banned
I think Phil Jackson summed it up best

However, don't confuse Bryant's domination of the ball with Jackson's endorsement of the plan. In the same book, Jackson tells of his annoyance at Bryant's ball-hogging in crunch time. In one instance, he describes drawing up a play with multiple options, in crunch time of a 2004 playoff series against Houston. Bryant destroyed all the options; instead of setting a baseline screen for Shaquille O'Neal he ran straight to the ball. "With the twenty-four-second clock winding down," writes Jackson, "Kobe forced a long jumper, a horrible shot in the game's most critical possession. The ball did not reach the rim..."

Blackface said:
GAF's thoughts:

1.) Does Kobe have 5,000 more points left in his career, or is that becoming unlikely? (That would be about 2.5 seasons of 25ppg scoring. time obviously gets longer if offensive role is diminished over that time)

2.) Does anyone expect Kobe to get 7 Rings? I think 6 is very possible...but 7?

Blackface

Banned
Black Mamba said:
I did not discredit any other players EXCEPT Rashard Lewis. In fact, I never even mentioned which of those things I listed are things Kobe does. I simply put it out there to explain why comparing any players like this is a futile exercise, not Kobe specifically. You simply made assumptions and were wrong.

Then I went to complain about how the Lakers utilize Kobe at the end of games, not related to those stats. Just a general comment about the team I watch.

Please stop. This is the exact same argument I was making in the other thread. You ignored it.

how things change.

Half the trolling I do is to expose people who flip flop all the time. I don't even dislike Kobe, he is awesome.

Blackface

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
GAF's thoughts:

1.) Does Kobe have 5,000 more points left in his career, or is that becoming unlikely? (That would be about 2.5 seasons of 25ppg scoring. time obviously gets longer if offensive role is diminished over that time)

He will probably pass Jordan in points because Kobe is going to be one of those players that doesn't know what to retire.

He probably won't end up with more rings unless Dwight Howard joins them, and even then they may lose to Miami if they there chemistry gets any better.

Blackface said:
Please stop. This is the exact same argument I was making in the other thread. You ignored it.

how things change.

Half the trolling I do is to expose people who flip flop all the time. I don't even dislike Kobe, he is awesome.

I don't know what you're talking about. Could you link me to it? Maybe I wasn't around when the argument happened?

I even mentioned earlier that I think the notion of "clutch" is overstated. Can you show me when I ever argued the opposite? Maybe I ignored it because I agreed?

SUPREME1

Banned
Trax has a lot of times on his hands and it shows. Hey Trax, why do you have so much time on your hands now? Huh Trax? Why?

WHYYYYY?

Blackface

Banned
SUPREME1 said:
Trax has a lot of times on his hands and it shows. Hey Trax, why do you have so much time on your hands now? Huh Trax? Why?

WHYYYYY?

I have barely posted in NBAGAF during the playoffs.

SUPREME1

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
GAF's thoughts:

Barring career ending injury, he's getting those 5,000 points, plus whatever else he needs to catch The Cap. Kobe just give a fuck. That's his goal.

SUPREME1 said:

WHYYYYY?

Cause the Raptors' off-season starts around late October/early November every year.

SUPREME1

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
You need to have your head examined.

Kobe is gonna play until he's 40.

You might end up proving me wrong, but I don't give a fuck.
And neither does Kobe.

Kobe is gonna be the all time scoring leader. It's as guaranteed as the Raptors not making the playoffs.

Dreams-Visions said:
GAF's thoughts:

kobe currently has 27,868 career points.
he'll only need to average 17.9 per game in the next 3 seasons to surpass jordan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom