• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I disagree. I would say they were even

T-Mac: 32.1 ppg on 46% (39% from 3), 6.5 rpg, 5.5 apg, 1.7 spg

Kobe: 30.0 ppg on 45% (38% from 3), 6.9 rpg, 5.9 apg, 2.2 spg

IMO this was Kobe's best season and he should have been MVP

How can you be MVP for the whole league when you're not even the most valuable player on your own team?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kobe was the most valuable in that team.

No he wasn't. That team went as far as Shaq as Shaq's motivation.

Or do I have to point out that Kobe wasn't the only guard that went to the Finals or even won a ring playing alongside Shaq?

It's really hard to say that Shaq was more valuable than Kobe in the 2003 regular season considering how many more minutes Kobe played in that season. 900 is a huge gap.

Winning the MVP as the 5th seed when Shaq is on your team isn't going to happen though.

There's no way you actually watched anything that team did and came away with that conclusion. Shaq was dominating the whole league like nobody in my lifetime, including MJ, ever has. Nobody could stop him except by fouling.

2003 he was fat and out of shape for half the season that year. Jesus Shaq gets such a pass from people like no one else in NBA history. Everyone acts like he was infallible and the 99-00 MDE every year of his career.

It's his contract year, and he's about 5 months away from being a consultant. He can't really afford to take responsibility for his "accelerated rebuild" not being the challenger for the 8th seed he was selling in the offseason.

Insert "building a winning culture" joke here.
if he goes, you can be sure Barg will follow out that door soon after. there a lot to be gained from losing games this season and little benefit to winning.

Cloudy

Banned
There's no way you actually watched anything that team did and came away with that conclusion. Shaq was dominating the whole league like nobody in my lifetime, including MJ, ever has. Nobody could stop him except by fouling.

Kobe was CLEARLY better than Shaq in 2003..

2003 he was fat and out of shape for half the season that year. Jesus Shaq gets such a pass from people like no one else in NBA history. Everyone acts like he was infallible and the 99-00 MDE every year of his career.

I should be doing other stuff so I can't dig up efficiency stats or anything from that year to check - though I will admit, I didn't see where that discussion was about 2003, not him as a Laker.

But it is safe to say, Jesus Kobe gets a pass from Laker fans for everything too. You guys shrugged off rape FCOL.

Vahagn

No he wasn't. That team went as far as Shaq as Shaq's motivation.

Or do I have to point out that Kobe wasn't the only guard that went to the Finals or even won a ring playing alongside Shaq?

Or do I have to point out that Shaq wasn't the only Center who won a ring playing alongside Kobe? Bynum did it on a bad knee twice.

Kobe got further in the playoffs more consistently without Shaq, than Shaq did without Kobe. 7 Finals Appearances for Kobe, 6 for Shaq. Kobe's played fewer years and has had less HOF talent.

Flawed argument on your part.

2003 Shaq averaged 27/11/3/2 on 60% TS.

He played 66 games. Kobe played 82. That team doesn't make the playoffs without Kobe being Kobe that year. One of the biggest things people forget about the Kobe/Shaq years was that Shaq routinely missed 15+ games a season, Kobe carried them during that stretch. Those teams don't make the playoffs without Kobe some of those years because they had no reliable #3 option.

Srsly

Banned
lol, 2003 Shaq was still clearly better than Kobe. It was also his best shooting year from the line (62%) and he averaged 2.5 BPG

Vahagn

Lakers-age already pretending Pau and Odom didn't exist.

You really wanna compare Pau to Penny, Wade, Lebron, Celtics Big 3, or Steve Nash/Amare? Really?

Shaq's never spent one season since 1994 without All Time Greats around him.

Pau Gasol was the true finals MVP in 2010 but of course Lakers-Age forgets this since they're about to trade him for Garbageani

Wow. Yea ok buddy. Pau Gasol's most dominant game was game 7 and he shot 37% from the field and 53% from the line. A big shooting 37% is like a guard shooting 25%...and that was his best game.

Kobe for the series. 29/8/4
Pau for the series. 19/12/4

Not to mention KG played much better all series than Rondo did.

You really wanna compare Pau to Penny, Wade, Lebron, Celtics Big 3, or Steve Nash/Amare? Really?

Shaq's never spent one season since 1994 without All Time Greats around him.

Wow. Yea ok buddy. Pau Gasol's most dominant game was game 7 and he shot 37% from the field and 53% from the line. A big shooting 37% is like a guard shooting 25%...and that was his best game.

Smush parker was robbed of an allstar appearance in 07 and found solace in the bottle. That's why his playoff stats dropped off.

Cloudy

Banned
Magic says a lot of things. How about you watch his games instead of using his words?

I don't think Magic was anywhere near as dominant as Kobe as an all-around player. Great PG and leader but his best isn't anywhere close to Kobe's best. This isn't even arguable unless you have something against Kobe...

Vahagn

I don't think Magic was anywhere near as dominant as Kobe as an all-around player. Great PG and leader but his best isn't anywhere close to Kobe's best. This isn't even arguable unless you have something against Kobe...

No it's arguable. You can't really say Kobe is better than any top 5 player and say it's not arguable. That's kinda silly.

Magic's the best PG of all time. I think Kobe's better because of his defense. But its definitely arguable.

Shaq > Kobe...now that's not defensible.

Cloudy

Banned
Magic's the best PG of all time. I think Kobe's better because of his defense. But its definitely arguable.

Was Magic a better pure shooter? No
Better rebounder? Yes but I'd argue this is because of his size and the pace they played back then
Better pure scorer? No
Better defender? No

Only thing he did better than Kobe was pass. It's really insulting to Kobe to compare him to anyone but MJ. He has surpassed Magic and Bird by sheer talent, stats and longevity of elite production..

I shit on kobe the most, but its very clear gaf's hatred for kobe stems from the fact he's the biggest threat to Jordan's goat status.
Which isn't far fetch to say Gaf has a secret hardon for jordan. Smh.

I haven't watched a lot of Lebron this season. Is he better this year than last? Every time they lose he still plays out of his mind.

Seems like 28/10/10 is so easy for him, he can probably do it drugged up and hungover.

The whole team phones it in half the time. Wade appears to be hurt, he started the year playing great and then went into the shitter. I think they're content to cruise into the playoffs and then try to 'turn it on'. That being said they're still talented enough to win most every night despite lackluster defensive efforts.

Not sure if Bron is phoning it in or if he just makes it look easy. He should be down Wade's throat to pick it up or rest if he is hurt.

Top Bottom