• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

Sanjuro

he showed up to a lot of the gaf meetup.
there were always pics.

mhHRm.jpg

Really don't see the point of evaluating this team without Nash and Pau.

Not that they shouldn't have won tonight regardless (or a Houston), but it's just silly to actually complain about MDA right now considering their PG rotation is Duhon-Morris and Jamison is playing 25+mpg. Nothing any coach can do.

The Lakers are still playing better now without Pau than they did with him during the Mike Brown start.

Kobe's stat line lol. Team isn't going anywhere if all he's going to do is jack up shots. 0 rebounds, how is that possible.

The entire team's rebounding has cratered without Pau. Seems the Pau-Dwight combo creates rebounds for teammates. Even though Hill is a good rebounder, it seems to be mostly on the offensive end and the team really is struggling to board with Jamison at the four even though his numbers have been okay.

They were like top 3 in rebound percentage before Pau went out and have sunk.

Really don't see the point of evaluating this team without Nash and Pau.

Not that they shouldn't have won tonight regardless (or a Houston), but it's just silly to actually complain about MDA right now considering their PG rotation is Duhon-Morris and Jamison is playing 25+mpg. Nothing any coach can do.

The Lakers are still playing better now without Pau than they did with him during the Mike Brown start.

Pau is still soft and Nash is still old and can't defend. Offense isn't this teams problem. Don't give up the hope though

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
rewatching the game... its still puzzling how a 20 year old has a more polished offensive game than Dwight.

Man, there are times when I see Meyers play offensively and I think to myself, "hey, that's Dwight-good right there!"

Pau is still soft and Nash is still old and can't defend. Offense isn't this teams problem. Don't give up the hope though

Turnovers are this team's main problem, specifically live ball ones which create easy points the other way. And Pau may be soft, but the team is a top tier rebounding team with him and bad without him.

Heat fans of all should be the ones most preaching patience.

rewatching the game... its still puzzling how a 20 year old has a more polished offensive game than Dwight.

Kanter bullied Hill who is too small for him. Though, he did travel on one of his buckets the refs missed.

I wish Dwight got to post up on someone that much smaller than him but Dwight isn't so big. :(

Jeff-DSA

Dwight's freakish build and athleticism always have carried him. He's never been a polished player. I don't know that he'll ever be because he's such a goofball. He doesn't seem to take things seriously enough.

Kobe's stat line lol. Team isn't going anywhere if all he's going to do is jack up shots. 0 rebounds, how is that possible.

Kobe is actually playing some off his best ball in years. He's kind of always been this and he was able to chip doing so. I think that this team is too old to win. Its way to hard to slow the ball down in todays game consistently like they need to and the fact that they aren't even trying to do that and instead play Dantoni-ball is them working against themselves.

I really want one of the Lakers fans to explain their saving graces and why they think they should be feared. Because I'm utterly convinced that this team's peak is like 4-5th best in the West, with a 2nd round exit. And I've been saying it since they copped Howard.

Turnovers are this team's main problem, specifically live ball ones which create easy points the other way. And Pau may be soft, but the team is a top tier rebounding team with him and bad without him.

Heat fans of all should be the ones most preaching patience.

:(

Like I said, at least our defense was there day one. Our problem was offense, and at the end of the day we had two of the top 5 players in the league.

Doomsayer

Kobe is actually playing some off his best ball in years. He's kind of always been this and he was able to chip doing so. I think that this team is too old to win. Its way to hard to slow the ball down in todays game consistently like they need to and the fact that they aren't even trying to do that and instead play Dantoni-ball is them working against themselves.

I really want one of the Lakers fans to explain there saving graces and why they think they should be feared. Because I'm utterly convinced that this team's peak is like 4-5th best in the West, with a 2nd round exit. And I've been saying it since they copped Howard.

I don't think any reasonable fan will say we should be feared at this point.

It's so hard to evaluate the team. Injured or not, we still have a center who essentially is playing himself into shape and needs to knock the rust off defensively.

Our PG rotation is laughably bad. Duhon is serviceable but Morris is straight garbage.

If we can get the turnovers down, we can turn the season around. When Kobe runs the offense its either a TO or a iso with him. It's bad.

I miss you, Nash.

I really want one of the Lakers fans to explain there saving graces and why they think they should be feared. Because I'm utterly convinced that this team's peak is like 4-5th best in the West, with a 2nd round exit. And I've been saying it since they copped Howard.

I'm hoping that once Nash comes back these things will happen

1. will cut down on the turnovers by taking the ball out of the hands of others
2. immensely help Pau and D12 in the PnR game
3. Keep Kobe fresher and allow for real end of game offense besides iso-ball always
4. force other teams to defend our PGs thus limiting their overall game

The Lakers are turning it over at a super high rate. Each live ball TO is worth like 3 points differential. If Nash can prevent just 4 of these per game, it's like a 12 point swing alone. Throw in a smoother offense and whatever Nash gives up on defense compared to Duhon/Morris won't be half that differential gain.

And Pau/Howard getting healthy will make them better.

The top 3 seed thing will be hard since they're playing from behind, so I won't count on that.

It's just hard for me to judge one way or another without having seen the actual team on the floor. Maybe they won't ever get healthy or maybe they've lost too much (besides Howard) and that's a real possibility. But I need to see it before I just roll over.

edit: The weird thing is that, at least offensively, the bench doesn't seem to be so bad once the starters come back. Jamison, Meeks, and Hill have proven themselves more than capable. Even Duhon has been good enough to be a decent backup. If they can score enough to be even, then the starters should win a lot of games. This bench is much better than last year's.

I don't think any reasonable fan will say we should be feared at this point.

It's so hard to evaluate the team. Injured or not, we still have a center who essentially is playing himself into shape and needs to knock the rust off defensively.

Our PG rotation is laughably bad. Duhon is serviceable but Morris is straight garbage.

If we can get the turnovers down, we can turn the season around. When Kobe runs the offense its either a TO or a iso with him. It's bad.

I miss you, Nash.

For a guy who knows so much about the game he sure can't get the offense going.

There is this false idea that people have that you must have your feet planted to take a charge. That isn't true. It is fine to be moving backwards while taking a charge. It's only a problem when you slide in too late laterally. The guy was moving backwards and the scorer charged into him after jumping. It's not the defender's responsibility to get out of the way. He was already there. The offensive player tried to jump through him. It's a charge.

I'm hoping that once Nash comes back these things will happen

1. will cut down on the turnovers by taking the ball out of the hands of others
2. immensely help Pau and D12 in the PnR game
3. Keep Kobe fresher and allow for real end of game offense besides iso-ball always
4. force other teams to defend our PGs thus limiting their overall game

The Lakers are turning it over at a super high rate. Each live ball TO is worth like 3 points differential. If Nash can prevent just 4 of these per game, it's like a 12 point swing alone. Throw in a smoother offense and whatever Nash gives up on defense compared to Duhon/Morris won't be half that differential gain.

And Pau/Howard getting healthy will make them better.

The top 3 seed thing will be hard since they're playing from behind, so I won't count on that.

It's just hard for me to judge one way or another without having seen the actual team on the floor. Maybe they won't ever get healthy or maybe they've lost too much (besides Howard) and that's a real possibility. But I need to see it before I just roll over.

edit: The weird thing is that, at least offensively, the bench doesn't seem to be so bad once the starters come back. Jamison, Meeks, and Hill have proven themselves more than capable. Even Duhon has been good enough to be a decent backup. If they can score enough to be even, then the starters should win a lot of games. This bench is much better than last year's.

Fair enough. I mean I thought the Laker were supposed to kill the PNR game, even though I don't think it would have been as good as Nash/Amare. I don't think Kobe is going to slow down any with things goin as they are though. Dwight will probably get "healthy" but alot of his defensive prowess was because he was an All-World athlete and its hard to say if he'll ever be that again, an even longer shot this year, considering he has to grind out a whole season.

To further explain charging. Person A is on offense. Person B is on defense.

A is running down the court straight down the middle. B is already waiting at the top of the key for A. B begins to backpedal as he sees A approaching. A runs straight down the lane and jumps just past the free throw line as B continues to backpedal in front of A. Since A was running faster, he runs into B midair. B never stopped his feet because he was keeping himself in front of A in a proper manner the whole time. A is at fault for charging because he ran his body into B.

reilo

By the way, who the fuck attempts a dunk on a 2-on-2 fastbreak from damn near the fucking freethrow line?

To further explain charging. Person A is on offense. Person B is on defense.

A is running down the court straight down the middle. B is already waiting at the top of the key for A. B begins to backpedal as he sees A approaching. A runs straight down the lane and jumps just past the free throw line as B continues to backpedal in front of A. Since A was running faster, he runs into B midair. B never stopped his feet because he was keeping himself in front of A in a proper manner the whole time. A is at fault for charging because he ran his body into B.

Shut up. Look how high that motherfucker got!

SamuraiX-

There is this false idea that people have that you must have your feet planted to take a charge. That isn't true. It is fine to be moving backwards while taking a charge. It's only a problem when you slide in too late laterally. The guy was moving backwards and the scorer charged into him after jumping. It's not the defender's responsibility to get out of the way. He was already there. The offensive player tried to jump through him. It's a charge.

Except the defender moved in laterally and backwards at the same time to take that "charge."

Regardless, the guy had his nuts in the defender's mouth. That hardly counts for as "trying to jump through him." Defender doesn't even take anything in the chest.

Weakest charge call I've seen in a while.

Except the defender moved in laterally and backwards at the same time to take that "charge."

Regardless, the guy had his nuts in the defender's mouth. That hardly counts for as "trying to jump through him." Defender doesn't even take anything in the chest.

Weakest charge call I've seen in a while.

The defender wasn't moving laterally. He was switching which way his body was facing since he didn't know which way the guy was going to drive down the lane. The guy ends up just going straight and into him.

reilo

Besides, the guy isn't like jumping through the dude that is on defense. He's literally jumping over him. Nuts in mouth and everything.

Jumping half your body over somebody isn't over. You cannot run your lower body through the defender when they are in proper position. It doesn't matter if the guy made an athletic play. He wasn't in position to make that dunk.

reilo

Jumping half your body over somebody isn't over. You cannot run your lower body through the defender when they are in proper position. It doesn't matter if the guy made an athletic play. He wasn't in position to make that dunk.

Nuts in mouth bro, nuts in mouth.

He Air Jordan'd his ass in a live game, and the guy looks to be 5" shorter.

SamuraiX-

The defender wasn't moving laterally. He was switching which way his body was facing since he didn't know which way the guy was going to drive down the lane. The guy ends up just going straight and into him.

He's still shuffling over to get in front of James White Part 2 after the dunker already left the ground.

Not a charge. Horrible call.

Top Bottom