• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hate to stand up for Shadow here, but Reilo didn't actually present any "arguments", so calling him an "idiot" doesn't actually apply to the quote Dy posted.

In fact, to be fair, since Shadow did present (foolish) arguments, and Reilo didn't, Reilo making that "stupid string" comment actually is consistent with the quote Dy posted.

Did you read any of the last 2-3 pages?

No, this isn't me just being mean to you and insinuating that I'd much like to make sweet love to the woman who birthed you either.

Redux

Banned
Without Rubio, a rookie class with only one future all-star. Terrible.

This rookie class is actually very underrated. Going into it BEST-GAF claimed it was the worst class in half a century.

2010 draft has fucking Evan Turner and Cousins. Shameful.

I hate to stand up for Shadow here, but Reilo didn't actually present any "arguments", so calling him an "idiot" doesn't actually apply to the quote Dy posted.

In fact, to be fair, since Shadow did present (foolish) arguments, and Reilo didn't, Reilo making that "stupid string" comment actually is consistent with the quote Dy posted.

The idea that name calling is cool as long as you keep arguing is dumb.

SUPREME1

Banned
Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder. said:
I'm not fading into the shadows. I'm not going anywhere. We're not going anywhere

Kobe Bryant after game 5 loss to the Thunder. said:
Come hell or high water, we're going to be there again

...and this is the reason why I will forever ride with Bean.

thekad

Banned
Wall (DY mad), Cousins, Monroe, and Favors all look to be great players. Then you have guys like Paul George and Avery Bradley who stack up to everyone but Uncle Drew in the 2011 class.

Vahagn

The idea that name calling is cool as long as you keep arguing is dumb.

Yea i didn't say that, just that the specific quote wasn't particularly relevant to the specific point, Shadow has been responding to Reilo's arguments and presenting his own the entire time instead of just responding with vile names.

But like I said, I'd hate to stand up for Shadow in this "Spurs/OKC dominance isn't impressive" argument so, I'm done with this topic.

DY_nasty

Wall (DY mad), Cousins, Monroe, and Favors all look to be great players. Then you have guys like Paul George and Avery Bradley who stack up to everyone but Uncle Drew in the 2011 class.
Avery Bradley is on pace to be more relevant than John Wall in the next two years.
Yea i didn't say that, just that the specific quote wasn't particularly relevant to the specific point, Shadow has been responding to Reilo's arguments and presenting his own the entire time instead of just responding with vile names.

But like I said, I'd hate to stand up for Shadow in this "Spurs/OKC dominance isn't impressive" argument so, I'm done with this topic.
All lark has said for the past 2 weeks can be summed up with this

and that shit isn't even worth addressing

Shinobi

This is why I love you guys. Just watching everyone argue about nothing.

Yeah, I've missed this.

I really don't see how Miami, even at full health, could beat the Spurs. I think they could give OKC a run, but the Spurs just looks like a matchup nightmare.

Therefore, it's hard for me to say that Miami not winning the title (if they lost to the Spurs) would be a failure. Cause it's just not a good matchup for them.

Their only hope would be for Wade and particularly Bron to put up Sunday's lines for six out of seven games, which is just unrealistic. And it'd still require them to get SOMETHING from elsewhere.

The Heat is just a fascinating experiment...there's no doubt to me that Bron is the best hoops player in the world and has been so for the last five years, but he's still yet to be on a roster that's properly balanced. I was surprised that he went to Miami (not surprised that he left Cleveland), simply due to the cap space getting eaten up by three players, two of which are very similar.

And even if Bron balls out of his mind, which he did during the Cavs years (which for some reason is forgotten by the revisionist idiots), it just won't be enough vs teams that are more balanced. And the failure will still fall back on him.

Hell, I'm not even sure they could beat the Celtics, who seem more balanced with KG at the 5 than they did last year when Miami beat 'em pretty easily. Mind you, Miami's perimeter defense is still as good as I've seen since the Jordan/Pippen years, and might give 'em a shot.

When is Chris Bosh due back anyway? I have no idea myself.

Vahagn

It's apparent that Kobe can't stay fully dominant for 40 minutes a night anymore. We need a competent backup SG to limit his minutes down some. His 4th quarter lack of clutchness this year has less to do with loss of confidence and ability, as it does with fatigue.

Fatigue affects jumpshots, and Kobe's always relied on his jumper for late game situations...we need him fresher for those situations.

Yeah, I've missed this.

I really don't see how Miami, even at full health, could beat the Spurs. I think they could give OKC a run, but the Spurs just looks like a matchup nightmare.

Therefore, it's hard for me to say that Miami not winning the title (if they lost to the Spurs) would be a failure. Cause it's just not a good matchup for them.

Their only hope would be for Wade and particularly Bron to put up Sunday's lines for six out of seven games, which is just unrealistic. And it'd still require them to get SOMETHING from elsewhere.

The Heat is just a fascinating experiment...there's no doubt to me that Bron is the best hoops player in the world and has been so for the last five years, but he's still yet to be on a roster that's properly balanced. I was surprised that he went to Miami (not surprised that he left Cleveland), simply due to the cap space getting eaten up by three players, two of which are very similar.

And even if Bron balls out of his mind, which he did during the Cavs years (which for some reason is forgotten by the revisionist idiots), it just won't be enough vs teams that are more balanced. And the failure will still fall back on him.

Hell, I'm not even sure they could beat the Celtics, who seem more balanced with KG at the 5 than they did last year when Miami beat 'em pretty easily. Mind you, Miami's perimeter defense is still as good as I've seen since the Jordan/Pippen years, and might give 'em a shot.

I don't even know what to say anymore. Bron still doesn't have the help he needs even though he has Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Smh.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's apparent that Kobe can't stay fully dominant for 40 minutes a night anymore. We need a competent backup SG to limit his minutes down some. His 4th quarter lack of clutchness this year has less to do with loss of confidence and ability, as it does with fatigue.

Fatigue affects jumpshots, and Kobe's always relied on his jumper for late game situations...we need him fresher for those situations.
Would you like Deng?

SUPREME1

Banned

Yup, Bean is tired.

Imagine if he had someone like that bum Popovich watching his minutes? Or a competent team to buy him some rest without blowing a lead, like that juicing bitch MJ had?

Vahagn

Yeah, I've missed this.

Sigh...you are making a really big mistake. When you don't bring 100% effort and energy into every single quarter of a playoff game, you lose playoff games.

You're too amazed at his raw ability and his ridiculous highs to blame him for his insane disappearing acts. Every series that Lebron has lost in the last 3 years has included one or another type of disappearing act. It's not a fluke dude.

I'm ok with a guy sitting on the bench in the last 6 minutes of a playoff game when you're getting blown out by 30, but most of Bron's disappearing acts have come in close playoff games, games he easily could have altered the outcome of if he didn't have Andrew Bynum like quarters/games of disengagement.

Jeff-DSA

Y'all are fighting along party lines. I hate the Lakers, but I'll give Lakers-Age members their due propers when they're right. When one of our own is actin' a fool, let 'em know. Actually, stop white knighting each other completely, it's kind of gross.

Shump Shump

imager.php

Vahagn

Yup, Bean is tired.

Imagine if he had someone like that bum Popovich watching his minutes? Or a competent team to buy him some rest without blowing a lead, like that juicing bitch MJ had?

We're still 10-4 in close games, and the Lakers have historically been great in road playoff closeout games and the like. Kobe's still Kobe. But for the first time in 14 years, it actually matters who our backup SG is. We can't keep trotting out D-League quality players

Preferably one who is not dumb as fuck, can shit talk decently, and posts in here with some regularity.

Theres no honor in taking Vag's maidenhood.

Bitch, 10-1 odds you get banned again before the end of the next series.

Shinobi

I don't even know what to say anymore. Bron still doesn't have the help he needs even though he has Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. Smh.

Didn't say he didn't have the help. It's just not balanced help. Bosh isn't a prototypical big man, and Wade and Bron have a similar skill set, though they're deployed in different ways. It also means the rest of the roster is filled with hustle guys and journeymen.

Now again, that's on Bron for choosing that situation, and it's on Bron to be far more aggressive at key points like he was in his Cavs days, but dismissing the effect it has on matchups vs other teams is just silly to me.

It's implied when you apply that quote to me calling you a name, then you name call while continuing to argue.

Unless you want to say you were wrong for once and say sorry for name calling.

I don't have a problem with name-calling. I do however laugh when its done in a argument without giving a proper counter. Hence the quote.

Didn't say he didn't have the help. It's just not balanced help. Bosh isn't a prototypical big man, and Wade and Bron have a similar skill set, though they're deployed in different ways. It also means the rest of the roster is filled with hustle guys and journeymen.

Now again, that's on Bron for choosing that situation, and it's on Bron to be far more aggressive at key points like he was in his Cavs days, but dismissing the effect it has on matchups vs other teams is just silly to me.

When can we say that he has the help that he needs? I thought that great players make others great.

Jeff-DSA

Lol at the notion that Pat Riley might want to get rid of Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade for Dwight Howard. Would be an awful move.

With Lebron running around with the ball, it would be dunk city for Dwight. I don't know, man, it could work out. Wade is definitely on his downhill slide and he's so streaky. Howard rarely has a bad game if people can just get him the freaking ball.

I probably wouldn't do it, but I don't think it would be disastrous.

Shinobi

Sigh...you are making a really big mistake. When you don't bring 100% effort and energy into every single quarter of a playoff game, you lose playoff games.

You're too amazed at his raw ability and his ridiculous highs to blame him for his insane disappearing acts. Every series that Lebron has lost in the last 3 years has included one or another type of disappearing act. It's not a fluke dude.

I'm ok with a guy sitting on the bench in the last 6 minutes of a playoff game when you're getting blown out by 30, but most of Bron's disappearing acts have come in close playoff games, games he easily could have altered the outcome of if he didn't have Andrew Bynum like quarters/games of disengagement.

Dude, I have working eyes and a good memory. The first time we had any reason to question Bron's ability in late game situations was the last two games of his Cavs career. Before that he was dragging that sorry ass roster to conference finals and finals on his ability and sheer will alone.

What's happened the last couple years has been alarming, no doubt about that. But it still doesn't change what a beast he is, the fact that he's a legit triple double threat every single night, has ridiculous quicks for a man his size and is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league to boot. Peeps were quick to forget the lockdown job he did a year ago on Derrick Rose, who EVERYONE proclaimed was unguardable. The game is played on both ends of the floor. Did okay scoring wise too. It's what made the finals fade out all the more bizarre.

Trust me, as much of a fan as I am of Bron, I know what the issues are. But I also know a lot of 'em are overblown by peeps who only want to see things a certain way. If Bron had done nothing but choke in big games throughout his career, you'd have a point. But history, statistics and simple facts tells you otherwise.

Doesn't mean the pressure ain't on him, though.

Jeff-DSA

Jerry Sloan on interest in Orlando Magic job: “Yes, I think so. It would be very intriguing. But they would have to be interested in me.’’

DY_nasty

I'd do it if I got rid of Wade only. I think it's been proven a few times that Bosh is pretty vital for that team.

The best starting line up I can envision is Lebron, Bosh, Chalmers, Nash, and Howard.

Any good Miami fan will tell you that Bosh is the most misused and ignored player in the history of their franchise. His worth in their Style&Bullshit system is negligible - I'd only even think twice about Bosh remaining if they got a new coach that would actually force LBJ (lololololol LBJ could barely deal with non-senile Silas) to let someone else facilitate.

Shinobi

When can we say that he has the help that he needs? I thought that great players make others great.

I don't know...when he wins? Seems most thinking with sports fans is based on results.

The same help Kobe had to win a couple rings Shaq free, is now the same help Lakers fans want ridden out on a rail (and rightly so, to be fair). It's all relative.

Keep in mind I'm simply talking offensively...Miami's half court offense simply isn't very good, and that speaks to the lack of balance they have in the squad. Defensively though the roster works to perfection, due to the quickness of Bron, Wade and even Bosh for his height. I'm just not sure the defensive proficiency makes up for the lack of offensive efficiency in the half court.

P.S. Bron paired with Dwight Howard and a point guard that's even average would be ideal. Throw in a good three point shooter and it'd be scary times for the rest of the league. If's and but's though.

Vahagn

Dude, I have working eyes and a good memory. The first time we had any reason to question Bron's ability in late game situations was the last two games of his Cavs career. Before that he was dragging that sorry ass roster to conference finals and finals on his ability and sheer will alone.

What's happened the last couple years has been alarming, no doubt about that. But it still doesn't change what a beast he is, the fact that he's a legit triple double threat every single night, has ridiculous quicks for a man his size and is arguably the best perimeter defender in the league to boot. Peeps were quick to forget the lockdown job he did a year ago on Derrick Rose, who EVERYONE proclaimed was unguardable. The game is played on both ends of the floor. Did okay scoring wise too. It's what made the finals fade out all the more bizarre.

Trust me, as much of a fan as I am of Bron, I know what the issues are. But I also know a lot of 'em are overblown by peeps who only want to see things a certain way. If Bron had done nothing but choke in big games throughout his career, you'd have a point. But history, statistics and simple facts tells you otherwise.

Doesn't mean the pressure ain't on him, though.

A) Absolutely agree, I've said time and time again that Lebron James is the best player in the league, has been for about 3 years...is the best regular season player in the league, and has the craziest combination of raw talent I've ever seen

B) He guarded Rose for the stretches in the 4th quarter. You forget the HORRIBLE Job he did guarding Terry in the 4th quarter in the very next series. You forget Rondo picking apart the Cavs in 2010 and him not being able to / trying to defend him. You forget Rafer Alston/Hedo murdering Lebron in 2009 postseason when he was matched up against them. Go check out Harden's shooting numbers this series, Kobe was on him a huge chunk of the time. Check out how Kobe shuts down Rondo every time they play, how he shut down Westbrook in game 5 in 2010. The point being, Lebron's defense, like his offense, isn't consistent. For every "great" defensive performance he puts up in the playoffs, he has several poor ones (Remember PP going off for 40 points in game 7 2008)?

C) The Finals fadeout wasn't bizarre to any of his detractors. It was expected. I've been saying all year "Don't underestimate Lebron's ability to quit on his team"...Lebron also played with sporadic effort against Orlando as well. And Against Boston/SAS in 2007/2008 he just played HORRIBLY for most of the series, but at least the effort was there.

His effort / aggression has been sporadic in every series his teams have lost since 2009. It was sporadic again in the two games the Heat lost this series as well...this isn't any more surprising to me than when Bynum does the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom