• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'd be cool with Larry Brown now that we have a point guard that actually needs him

jman2050

C) The Finals fadeout wasn't bizarre to any of his detractors. It was expected. I've been saying all year "Don't underestimate Lebron's ability to quit on his team"...Lebron also played with sporadic effort against Orlando as well.

This is total revisionist history. The dude played out of his mind against Orlando.

Vahagn

Also, I don't want to fire Mike Brown.

If we can get Sloan, Phil, Larry Brown, or some other all time great...sure...but otherwise, nope. We don't need to keep changing systems. Championship teams usually need a few years to play together and learn the system so they can run the offense/defensive execution in their sleep. Obviously ultra talented teams don't necessarily need that (Celtics 2008, Lakers 2000) but we're not that team anymore.

effzee

I don't know...when he wins? Seems most thinking with sports fans is based on results.

The same help Kobe had to win a couple rings Shaq free, is now the same help Lakers fans want ridden out on a rail (and rightly so, to be fair). It's all relative.

Keep in mind I'm simply talking offensively...Miami's half court offense simply isn't very good, and that speaks to the lack of balance they have in the squad. Defensively though the roster works to perfection, due to the quickness of Bron, Wade and even Bosh for his height. I'm just not sure the defensive proficiency makes up for the lack of offensive efficiency in the half court.

P.S. Bron paired with Dwight Howard and a point guard that's even average would be ideal. Throw in a good three point shooter and it'd be scary times for the rest of the league. If's and but's though.

Dude you are arguing against die hard Lebron haters. They see nothing.

Apparently Kobe didn't need that balance after Shaq left. Or even this past off-season when they tried to trade for Chris Paul.

it boggles me, but why do people think Larry Brown is a great coach? He has only won 1 championship, and he's proven to suck everywhere he ever coached.

Vahagn

This is total revisionist history. The dude played out of his mind against Orlando.

His owner, me, and many other people don't agree. He played out of his mind in game 5, it was amazing to watch. And he hit the game winner in game 2...and Game 1 was great too...everything else was ehhhh

Edit: Sorry, totally wrong here. He did play really well, I think the second half of game 6 left an impression on me where he just didn't bring it, kind of like Kobe against Phoenix game 7 second half...but this time, his team was the higher seed.

linsivvi

Also, I don't want to fire Mike Brown.

If we can get Sloan, Phil, Larry Brown, or some other all time great...sure...but otherwise, nope. We don't need to keep changing systems. Championship teams usually need a few years to play together and learn the system so they can run the offense/defensive execution in their sleep. Obviously ultra talented teams don't necessarily need that (Celtics 2008, Lakers 2000) but we're not that team anymore.

Mike Brown's not gonna lead any team to a championship anytime soon.

If he was coaching the Spurs they would be a lower seed in the playoffs.

effzee

A) Absolutely agree, I've said time and time again that Lebron James is the best player in the league, has been for about 3 years...is the best regular season player in the league, and has the craziest combination of raw talent I've ever seen

B) He guarded Rose for the stretches in the 4th quarter. You forget the HORRIBLE Job he did guarding Terry in the 4th quarter in the very next series. You forget Rondo picking apart the Cavs in 2010 and him not being able to / trying to defend him. You forget Rafer Alston/Hedo murdering Lebron in 2009 postseason when he was matched up against them. Go check out Harden's shooting numbers this series, Kobe was on him a huge chunk of the time. Check out how Kobe shuts down Rondo every time they play, how he shut down Westbrook in game 5 in 2010. The point being, Lebron's defense, like his offense, isn't consistent. For every "great" defensive performance he puts up in the playoffs, he has several poor ones (Remember PP going off for 40 points in game 7 2008)?

WTF?

You are saying you can't credit Lebron for his great defensive performances but then point to Kobe's one game in 2010? And shutting down Rondo? From doing what? The dude's first three options are to pass and only as a last resort does he look to shoot.

effzee

it boggles me, but why do people think Larry Brown is a great coach? He has only won 1 championship, and he's proven to suck everywhere he ever coached.

This is a joke post right?

Please tell me this is a joke post.

I don't even care much for him anymore for how he left the Sixers but you have got to be kidding me.

Larry Brown is a HOF coach because unlike Phil Jackson he goes to bad teams, turns them around, takes them to the playoffs, and gets the most out of the players he has.

No no no I refuse to believe this you have to be joking.

Vahagn

This is a joke post right?

Please tell me this is a joke post.

I don't even care much for him anymore for how he left the Sixers but you have got to be kidding me.

Larry Brown is a HOF coach because unlike Phil Jackson he goes to bad teams, turns them around, takes them to the playoffs, and gets the most out of the players he has.

Did you just try to bring down Phil Jackson to bring up Larry Brown? Newsflash, Phil Jackson is also a HOF coach

No no no I refuse to believe this you have to be joking.

WTF?

You are saying you can't credit Lebron for his great defensive performances but then point to Kobe's one game in 2010? And shutting down Rondo? From doing what? The dude's first three options are to pass and only as a last resort does he look to shoot.

Pointing out the absurdity of people constantly referring to his ability to defend Derrick Rose in the 4th for one series as him being "arguably the best perimeter defender"...lots of players who are taller and still athletic can shut down opposing superstars for stretches. Hence the Kobe examples. Durant was really effective against Kobe in the fourth, I guess Durant is now "arguably the best perimeter defender in the league"

Also, Lebron did get torched by Terry in games 3-6 in the fourth quarter just one or two weeks after he shut down Rose.

effzee

Did you just try to bring down Phil Jackson to bring up Larry Brown? Newsflash, Phil Jackson is also a HOF coach

They both are but IMO Larry Brown belongs right up there with Phil only because he takes terrible teams or situations and turns them around. Phil only goes where he can coach the best player or two in the NBA.

Phil Jackson takes them over the hump but Larry Brown is no scrub coach. HOF coach and well deserved.

diehard

Fleer
And shutting down Rondo? From doing what? The dude's first three options are to pass and only as a last resort does he look to shoot.

Kobe has played the most effective defense on Rondo from anyone to date. And by play defense i mean completely ignore him.

Vahagn

Mike Brown's not gonna lead any team to a championship anytime soon.

If he was coaching the Spurs they would be a lower seed in the playoffs.

I completely agree, just have no idea who can coach this team other than the people I suggested. And if we blow up the core, The Triangle (Shaw, Phil) would be a problem as we would have a bunch of new players with no knowledge of the triangle...and that system takes years to really master for most players' BBall IQ levels...so I don't know

Lakers in a quandary with their coaching situation.

Kobe has played the most effective defense on Rondo from anyone to date. And by play defense i mean completely ignore him.

It's because people don't understand how to ignore him properly. Most players stand there just off him and looking at him. Kobe, instead, uses his length to make sure he doesn't try to go around him, but most of the time he spends fucking up screens for Ray/Pierce and hedging toward them to prevent the open shot for them (and he relies on a 7 footer to protect the rim).

Ignoring him alone isn't enough. Got to ignore and help on the off-ball movement.

Vahagn

The only reason Kobe gets away with that is because he has two 7 footers at the rim most of the time.

And if he didn't, he would play Rondo differently I'm sure. Playing defense in a way that's in line with your team's defensive strengths is part of playing great defense.

The Lakers are also historically horrible at PnR defense because our bigs have always lacked footspeed and mobility to stay in front of the guards for long enough to allow our perimeter defenders enough time to go through the screen and recover.

Game 1 of the Thunder series was a perfect example where on the PnR Westbrook would get a wide open 15 footer before Kobe ever had time to get through the screen...That's on Bynum to find a way to stop Westbrook for 2 seconds and give Kobe time to recover.

For some reason or another, Rondo has historically played horribly against us in the playoffs when Kobe was guarding him despite our PnR weakness...I chalk that up to Kobe's sound defense.

He did also force Westbrook into shooting 3-21 against LA in the lone regular season win and guarded Harden all series where he shot at or around 40%

Shinobi

This. Bron is the only reason that series even got to six games.

His owner, me, and many other people don't agree.

His owner was Dan fucking Gilbert. You're not about to give that piece of shit an ounce of credit in ANY discussion with me.

First off, "shutting Rondo down" is a real tough thing to do on a guy who until recently has had the most suspect J for any all star level guard in living memory. So Kobe played off him and Rondo shot himself out of the game...big deal.

Second, Bron held Rose to 6.3% shooting when he guarded him in that series. He wasn't on him all the time, but when he was, Rose was stuffed into his jock. If you want to defame Bron, there's plenty of legit ways to do so, but don't make up poppycock just to suit your tastes.

Shinobi

I mean, a good argument could be made that the Lakers could've (and perhaps should've) been 3-1 up going into last night. But that's not how it works.

And the best team in the NBA? They might not be the best team in their own building at the moment. 2010, it is not.

I say all that being a massive Ron fan...his post game interview last night just giving me one more reason to ride with him. But hell, nobody's perfect.

I mean, a good argument could be made that the Lakers could've (and perhaps should've) been 3-1 up going into last night. But that's not how it works.

And the best team in the NBA? They might not be the best team in their own building at the moment. 2010, it is not.

I say all that being a massive Ron fan...his post game interview last night just giving me one more reason to ride with him. But hell, nobody's perfect.

there is no might. They were definitely better than the Clips. I think Lakers would have beaten anyone out East, too. OKC/Spurs were the only teams better.

A shadowlarky type argument can be made that LAL could/should be 3-1.

Lakers are still better than The Clips. Maybe next year Adam, maybe next year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What happens first? Clippers win a division title or the Raptors win 50 games?

Actually, what's wrong with me?

What happens first? Clippers win a division title or Clippers win 50 games?

Tom Penny

Or OKC could argue the Lakers should have been swept because game 3 was an officiating travesty. Either way it's 2 years of underachieving.

Touch

for fucks sake if pau comes to my hawks ill flip shit. we don't need that bullshit. i may not know what we need at the moment but it for damn sure aint pau.

Larry Brown isn't a bad coach he's just a guy who hates everyone and eventually tires of them.

So he leaves.

If LB was Dr. Suess' Grinch, when he heard them sing and hold hands after he stole their gifts he would return later that night to damage their vocal cords and cut off all of their hands.

Mike Trudell
Sessions, who has a player option for next season, said he has not yet thought about it, but "definitely" hopes to stay in L.A.

Mark Medina
Sessions on what front office said about wanting him back: "It was clear leaving the meeting they wanted me back. It was 100% clear"

Oh man, is Sessions doesn't opt out would be a steal for Lakers for a season. bring in Nash, bring Sessions off bench. Grab Morrow somehow. CHAMPIONSHIP!

Granger getting shit on by the media and no one is dicussing the elbows that caused Granger to get in LeBron's shit.

He talks a lot of shit but he disappeared in game 4 while Lebron and Wade turned it on. Weren't people saying early in his career that he's an all star caliber player???? lololol

Granger getting shit on by the media and no one is dicussing the elbows that caused Granger to get in LeBron's shit.

Yeah, Lebron basically sent out his lap dog Brian Windhorst to tell Granger to leave him alone.
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...james-take-issue-indiana-pacers-danny-granger

If I was Granger, I would keep doing it. No matter how stupid it is, it's clearly getting under LeBaby's skin. Lebron and Wade should have just ignored Granger entirely.

Yeah, Lebron basically sent out his lap dog Brian Windhorst to tell Granger to leave him alone.
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/201...james-take-issue-indiana-pacers-danny-granger

If I was Granger, I would keep doing it. No matter how stupid it is, it's clearly getting under LeBaby's skin. Lebron and Wade should have just ignored Granger entirely.

If by get under his skin, you mean make him have one of the best playoff games ever then hell yea Granger needs to keep it up.

The M.O.B

wadelebronrevfzcag.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom