• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
The Spurs got 4 minutes of coverage on Sportscenter last week.

http://deadspin.com/5914304/?utm_ca...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

If you tuned in to SportsCenter at all last week, there was a very good chance you saw Miami Heat highlights, or ESPN personalities talking over Miami Heat highlights, or press conferences involving Miami Heat players. Nearly a fourth of all programming was devoted to the Heat. Let's put it this way: ESPN spent more time airing Miami Heat press conferences (13 minutes) than it did talking about the NFL. This for a team that's going to get smoked in the finals by the Spurs (who by the way, got four minutes of coverage this week). Oh, and LeBron got more mentions on SportsCenter than all the members of the Pacers combined.
Assuming we don't miraculously come back in this series...

GO SPURS GO

The Spurs got 4 minutes of coverage on Sportscenter last week.

i don't get the ESPN hate, they just broadcast stuff people want to hear. i don't think they have an agenda. i only listen to first take and while they talk about lebron all the time it's mostly negative. he has the biggest storyline here, whats there to talk about the spurs except that they are marvelous?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
i don't get the ESPN hate, they just broadcast stuff people want to hear. i don't think they have an agenda. i only listen to first take and while they talk about lebron all the time it's mostly negative. he has the biggest storyline here, whats there to talk about the spurs except that they are marvelous?

ESPN knows what the people want!

BRETT FAVRE
BRETT FAVRE
BRETT FAVRE
BRETT FAVRE

KingGondo

Banned
How did I miss this post?

Good grief, like BruceLeeRoy said, this isn't basketball, this is surgery.

5pur5 are absolutely exposing Westbrook...is this shit even legal what they are doing to him?

MAH GAWD
To be fair, the Spurs have been making lots of guys look foolish this season. Assuming they chip (which barring some unforeseen circumstance seems pretty damn likely), this squad has to go down as one of the all-time greats. I'm still proud of how hard the Thunder has fought in spite of being outmanned in the first two games.

Diprosalic said:
Look at that video Coach Nick put up. ESPN could do that kind of shit all day, and it would be fantastic. Rather than talking about actual game strategy, etc. they talk about how LeBron is feeling, his legacy, petty bitchass grudgematches between players, yada fucking yada.

I don't watch much Sportscenter, but I remember when it was must-see TV. Now it's just sickeningly repetitive.

And yes, "just broadcast[ing] stuff people want to hear" is a valid critique.

Haha.

When Dallas won the Finals last year, the story wasn't that the Mavs won decisively in 6 but rather it was what is wrong with the Heat.

This year, when the Pacers were up 2-1, the story wasn't the Pacers, it was what does the Heat have to do to right the ship.

I can go on.

To be fair, the Spurs have been making lots of guys look foolish this season. Assuming they chip (which barring some unforeseen circumstance seems pretty damn likely), this squad has to go down as one of the all-time greats. I'm still proud of how hard the Thunder has fought in spite of being outmanned in the first two games.

Could you imagine Sessions/Blake getting abused in that triple screen buzzsaw?

Ugh.

Anyway, I hope you guys get tonight's game.

Ryu, the Lakers basically get the same treatment.

Not really though.

When we won in 2009/10, the story was about LeBron and his future plans. ESPN talks about the Lakers because we are the most polarizing team in the league. That in and of itself drives viewership. The angle is usually that of disdain, measuring Kobe vs. LeBron or reporting on our dirty laundry (Bynum, Odom, Kobe antics)

I've said it before, ESPN isn't pro-Heat, they are pro-LeBron.

effzee

ESPN does what most of you guys do here. Talk or bitch about Lebron/Wade/Heat.

As good as the Spurs are and as amazing as they are playing, they don't grab ratings. Just take a look at this forum for a microcosm look at sports trends.

diehard

Fleer
Not really though.

When we won in 2009/10, the story was about LeBron and his future plans. ESPN talks about the Lakers because we are the most polarizing team in the league. That in and of itself drives viewership. The angle is usually that of disdain, measuring Kobe vs. LeBron or reporting on our dirty laundry (Bynum, Odom, Kobe antics)

I've said it before, ESPN isn't pro-Heat, they are pro-LeBron.

After every Laker game they would have the press conferences / interviews. You think a team like the Jazz will ever get that?

When Dallas won the Finals last year, the story wasn't that the Mavs won decisively in 6 but rather it was what is wrong with the Heat.

i know. but that's what the people want to hear. maybe not you but most of them do. there were 100x more lebron and heat jokes and speculation hereafter the finals than they were any discussion about dirk or the mavericks. i just don't think they have an agenda, they just say and talk about the stuff people want to hear. their agenda is to make money, not push lebron james.

effzee

It was historically bad. It was lopsided.

You ought to watch the game.

Well actually maybe you shouldn't.

Do something more productive. Or barring that, at least something that will make you happy.

I'll get around to watching it tonight after the Spurs game. Work schedule really prevents watching the late night games. I would call that doing something productive though I have no idea what your point is.

NBA refs favoring superstars or the home team is nothing new. Hell these same Celtics have been on the beneficial end of that treatment the past 4-5 seasons and even in the first two rounds this playoffs. And I would be shocked if they don't get more calls their way at their home games. Still Wade and Lebron drive to the rim more often that any player on the Celtics and they will always get to the FT line. Not saying the system is good or perfect, but it is what it is and all teams with super stars get the same benefit. Kobe now, Kobe and Shaq before, the Celtics big three, FThunder, Miami, and guys in the past going back to forever.

There is no conspiracy.

After every Laker game they would have the press conferences / interviews. You think a team like the Jazz will ever get that?

Again, no one is disputing that the Lakers drive ratings but believe me, NO ONE gets the positive exposure/treatment on that network like LeBron.

Skip shitting on LeBron doesn't count either. The 24 hour narrative overpowers it anyway.

Remember when the Magic were up 3-1 in that ECF series in 2009 and LeBron's buzzer beater was still shown on a constant loop? The narrative was basically, "What do the Magic need to do to get back in this series?" even though they were winning!

The shit is comical.

Trust me bro, if the 5pur5 win this year over the Heat, their chip will be so under reported.

When LeBron finally wins, they will over report that shit deep into the summer and will make all kinds of comparisons to how this chip is the greatest of all time.

effzee

i know. but that's what the people want to hear. maybe not you but most of them do. there were 100x more lebron and heat jokes and speculation hereafter the finals than they were any discussion about dirk or the mavericks. i just don't think they have an agenda, they just say and talk about the stuff people want to hear. their agenda is to make money, not push lebron james.

Exactly. Its the same for all sports with them. When the Cowboys lose it isn't about the team that beat them but why the Cowboys lost or how they can rebound.

Why? Because certain teams and personalities get them higher ratings so they spend more time covering those stories. And I would say at least 50% of their Lebron coverage is negative, especially on the talk shows they have on during the day. Like it or not, especially with Kobe and Rose out, Lebron is the biggest name/star left in the playoffs and win or lose people want to talk about him and tune into ESPN to see Heat coverage.

TRios Zen

Thanks. I have a good feeling, but damn even a 15 point lead feels unsafe against this Spurs team.

OKC is talented, desperate to prove they can win and at home in front of a passionate fan base.

Tonight is probably going to be the toughest win for the Spurs to pull off. Playing like they have been, they can, but they can't fall behind too much early and they have to execute to perfection in the fourth. Otherwise, I'd agree that things could easily go OKC's way today.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Exactly. Its the same for all sports with them. When the Cowboys lose it isn't about the team that beat them but why the Cowboys lost or how they can rebound.

Why? Because certain teams and personalities get them higher ratings so they spend more time covering those stories. And I would say at least 50% of their Lebron coverage is negative, especially on the talk shows they have on during the day. Like it or not, especially with Kobe and Rose out, Lebron is the biggest name/star left in the playoffs and win or lose people want to talk about him and tune into ESPN to see Heat coverage.

ESPN's ratings aren't even as good as they used to be.

KingGondo

Banned
OKC is talented, desperate to prove they can win and at home in front of a passionate fan base.

Tonight is probably going to be the toughest win for the Spurs to pull off. Playing like they have been, they can, but they can't fall behind too much early and they have to execute to perfection in the fourth. Otherwise, I'd agree that things could easily go OKC's way today.
Honestly, forcing 6 games would feel like a huge accomplishment against this Spurs team.

We have to win it defensively though. Sefolosha and Ibaka need major minutes tonight, and Fisher/Perkins had better find their asses planted firmly on the bench.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'll say this, when the Spurs beat the heat this year (yeah, I'm going there), it'll be a media circus around Lebron/Heat, with minimal coverage on the Spurs also. I'm guessing 75% of the coverage will be on how Lebron and the Heat failed yet again and the fallout of that and 25% will be on how good this Spurs team actually is (which is looking like one of the best teams I've seen since the late 80s Celtics/Lakers and early 90s Bulls).

They're a complete package and it's no fluke that they've won 20 straight, but since they aren't the Lakers/Knicks/Bulls/Heat, very few people are even interested outside of b-ball purists and hardcore fans. Still, I can't wait for the fallout of James and company losing out yet again.

Like it or not, especially with Kobe and Rose out, Lebron is the biggest name/star left in the playoffs and win or lose people want to talk about him and tune into ESPN to see Heat coverage.

How do explain 2009 when the story was LeBron being bounced in the ECF, instead of the Finals?

How about 2010, when the story wasn't Lakers/Czzz II but rather, where will LeBron end up. This shit was happening DURING THE FINALS. A Finals that was one of the highest rated ever.

Trust me man, it has little to do with the remaining stars or whatnot.

Think about the coverage the Mavs, Lakers, Czzz and 5pur5 got when they won the last 5 chips in the days that followed the championship.

Then I want you to look at how the eventual post LeBron chip days are handled. It'll be night and day.

effzee

ESPN's ratings aren't even as good as they used to be.

I don't know the #s but its probably true. Its also why they are clinging more and more to big names like Lebron to draw in viewers. Or why I am sure they are praying Favre makes another comeback.

effzee

How do explain 2009 when the story was LeBron being bounced in the ECF, instead of the Finals?

How about 2010, when the story wasn't Lakers/Czzz II but rather, where will LeBron end up. This shit was happening DURING THE FINALS. A Finals that was one of the highest rated ever.

Trust me man, it has little to do with the remaining stars or whatnot.

Think about the coverage the Mavs, Lakers, Czzz and 5pur5 got when they won the last 5 chips in the days that followed the championship.

Then I want you to look at how the eventual post LeBron chip days are handled. It'll be night and day.

I don't remember each finals coverage or post coverage, but don't bring the Lakers into this at all. They are one of the most talked about teams in all of sports. Mavs will never get the same treatment because again they don't have the same draw. Celtics-Lakers got plenty of coverage as far as I remember with of course other NBA stories, like Lebron sprinkled in.

ESPN is a TV network whose purpose is to drive ratings higher and bring in money for Disney overlords. You think they give two shits about actually pushing a player or promoting a player? Why would they? They follow the money. That is all. If it was in their network's best interest to talk Spurs all day every day they would. But its not and just like we hear often here or anywhere else, most people find the Spurs too old or boring.

Why do you ESPN was forced to cover NASCAR more in depth or even talk about UFC/MMA? Because they want to? No because those sports now draw enough that its beneficial for ESPN to cover them to gain more viewers, ratings, and money.

If you asked most people at the start of the season who they would like to see in the finals they would say most likely Heat and Lakers or Heat and Thunder. Did ESPN do that? Or is that just the mentality of the average NBA fan?

The Lebron ticket for them has been golden since DAY 1 when he was in HS. Why would they stop now? Obviously the viewers want them to continue or else they would tune out and force ESPN to change its coverage priorities.

TRios Zen

I'll say this, when the Spurs beat the heat this year (yeah, I'm going there), it'll be a media circus around Lebron/Heat, with minimal coverage on the Spurs also. I'm guessing 75% of the coverage will be on how Lebron and the Heat failed yet again and the fallout of that and 25% will be on how good this Spurs team actually is (which is looking like one of the best teams I've seen since the late 80s Celtics/Lakers and early 90s Bulls).

They're a complete package and it's no fluke that they've won 20 straight, but since they aren't the Lakers/Knicks/Bulls/Heat, very few people are even interested outside of b-ball purists and hardcore fans. Still, I can't wait for the fallout of James and company losing out yet again.

I've been a Spurs fan for too long to remember. I'm used to the media ignoring us, and/or saying we're boring. You almost have to learn to enjoy the path and the parade, IN SPITE of what you hear (or don't hear). But that is just the way it is, and I ain't going to complain if I can take my son down to the Riverwalk for another one.

I'm not used to this: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7988382/the-spurs-zombies-retro-diary I like Simmons' writing, but am not used to big media covering the spurs in such a favorable light.

Lebron ticket for them has been golden since DAY 1 when he was in HS. Why would they stop now? Obviously the viewers want them to continue or else they would tune out and force ESPN to change its coverage priorities.

And that is the problem, which quickly devolves into a larger discussion about what effect it had on LeBron (buying into his own hype, getting "Witness" tattooed on his leg, "CHOSEN1" on his back).

Point is, a big part of why Jordan was a compelling story was because we got to see him fail and eventually overcome. There was no pre charted script for him on a 24 hour network somewhere.

We witnessed his gradual steps to becoming who he is.

With LeBron, it's all been based around a pre conceived notion that he will win championships (it's his birthright) and it's just a matter of time. When you say stupid shit like, "Not 1, not 2..."it shows how little respect you have for how hard the process of winning a championship is. It's not as simple as putting together a "super team" and the rest of the league just rolls over.

It's my opinion that is a big reason why peeps take pleasure in seeing him fail.

we're a pretty smart bunch for the most part. i'm sure we can agree on the ESPN coverage hierarchy looking something like this:

1. NFC East
2. AFC East
3. Yankees/Red Sox
4. Miami Heat/Lebron
5. Tebow
6. Favre
7. Everything else seemingly at random

We can probably switch a few things around, but I think these get covered the most.

effzee

And that is the problem, which quickly devolves into a larger discussion about what effect it had on LeBron (buying into his own hype, getting "Witness" tattooed on his leg, "CHOSEN1" on his back).

Point is, a big part of why Jordan was a compelling story was because we got to see him fail and eventually overcome. There was no pre charted script for him on a 24 hour network somewhere.

We witnessed his gradual steps to becoming who he is.

With LeBron, it's all been based around a pre conceived notion that he will win championships (it's his birthright) and it's just a matter of time. When you say stupid shit like, "Not 1, not 2..."it shows how little respect you have for how hard the process of winning a championship is. It's not as simple as putting together a "super team" and the rest of the league just rolls over.

It's my opinion that is a big reason why peeps take pleasure in seeing him fail.

I don't disagree but I also don't think Lebron is a douche at the levels you or most people here think. Most of the NBA guys have really really stupid shit tattooed all over them AND mostly about how great they are. On the other hand Lebron isn't a thug, criminal, or any of the other things a lot of NBA players are but get a pass for in general. And while I am sure ESPN hailing him as King James since HS affected his ego, it also put unprecedented amount of pressure on him straight out of HS to be the best ever. To a certain degree I admire how quickly he became the best player in the game considering the pressure from day 1. A lot of guys who have been hyped to this level don't ever come close to living up to the hype.

Maybe Lebron would be better off today if he didn't have the coverage he had since his HS days.

Jonm1010

Banned

It's going to be that way no matter who wins.

exarkun

mah man. I agree with everything.

When was the last time we've seen a team execute like they have? Even when the bench struggled a bit in game one, the Spurs kept chugging. Its teams like this that spoil bball-heads and casual fans that tune in. Watch most of the Eastern conference, and if it isn't dunks its just been ugly the last two rounds. Spurs? Mah god, the precision is almost unreal.

That said, there is one player that makes that team go round: Tony Parker. When Lebron won the MVP I was almost mad since I felt TP maybe should have gotten it. Lebron put up amazing numbers, but TP is playing his best ball ever and is making the pussy purrr so well that EVERYONE is talking about it. Alot of analysts (TnT, NBA TV, some ESPN) privately admit that in their opinion the Spurs are the best team in while, or at least for this season. And most of that is because of TP and some for Pop.

I don't disagree but I also don't think Lebron is a douche at the levels you or most people here think. Most of the NBA guys have really really stupid shit tattooed all over them AND mostly about how great they are. On the other hand Lebron isn't a thug, criminal, or any of the other things a lot of NBA players are but get a pass for in general.

Well, yes, he isn't a thug or criminal but we are talking basketball. When you are putting LeBron in graphics being compared to Jordan, when the guy has yet to even win his first chip after 2 Finals appearances (where he is 2-8) it rubs people the wrong way. Even the Nike marketing of "WITNESS" is very arrogant and invites criticism when he fails.

And for the record, there are a lot of things that make LeBron a douche without any of ESPN's help. Most great athletes are.

And while I am sure ESPN hailing him as King James since HS affected his ego, it also put unprecedented amount of pressure on him straight out of HS to be the best ever. To a certain degree I admire how quickly he became the best player in the game considering the pressure from day 1. A lot of guys who have been hyped to this level don't ever come close to living up to the hype.

Maybe Lebron would be better off today if he didn't have the coverage he had since his HS days.

That I agree with. LeBron, from purely a basketball perspective, has more than lived up to the overwhelming hype he came into the league with.

Haha.

This year, when the Pacers were up 2-1, the story wasn't the Pacers, it was what does the Heat have to do to right the ship.

I can go on.

But that's the story people wanted to hear. Not, "the mavs were really good.," but "haha, what the hell is wrong with the 'not 1, not 2, not 3...' heat?"

KingGondo

Banned
I know you have only been a OKC fan for 4 years Gondo but still, how can you be so classy.
I'm an OSU alum/fan, which requires a certain level of humility considering how much of a red-headed stepchild we've been to OU for most of our history. :)

Besides, sports really aren't worth getting truly salty over. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if we were getting beaten down by the Lakers, but no reasonable sports fan can get mad at what the Spurs are doing. We're witnessing history.

Not only that, I have a feeling that the Thunder will be better down the road for getting to see what it takes to be truly great first-hand.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

No, a big part, as in 99%, of what made Jordan a compelling figure is because he was better than any other player in the history of the game and won six championships. People didn't really hate on LBJ until he did what he did w/r/t the Heat. A Heat/Spurs finals would be perfect for me. I get to watch Timmy cry or LBJ/Bosh cry.

I'm an OSU alum/fan, which requires a certain level of humility considering how much of a red-headed stepchild we've been to OU for most of our history. :)

Besides, sports really aren't worth getting truly salty over. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if we were getting beaten down by the Lakers, but no reasonable sports fan can get mad at what the Spurs are doing. We're witnessing history.

Not only that, I have a feeling that the Thunder will be better down the road for getting to see what it takes to be truly great first-hand.

Listen man I agree 100% with what your saying because its simple logic but lets face it sports + emotion don't = logic.

Flash

Spurs have been getting quite a bit of recognition. They're actually really fun to watch (unlike all their other championship runs).

Obviously they won't get as much attention as LeBron, but the analyst have all been talking about how they're playing some amazing ball. Another reason for spurs lack of coverage on ESPN may be related to the fact ESPN has been airing the Heat/Celtics while TNT has been airing the Spurs/Thunder. Obviously it's in their interest to talk up the games that they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom