• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT3| If he dies, he dies *wink*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Okay. Lakers-age believes the Top 10 is 40% Lakers. I'm sure someone will stop in and say Jerry West and Chamberlain are Top 10, too.

So, we got 60% of the Top 10 reserved for Lakers.

Lakers still believe they are the best franchise in NBA history, so yeah.

Vahagn

1. Magic
2. Jordan
3. Hakeem
4. Bird
5. Kareem
6. Duncan
7. Russell
8. Chamberlain
9. Kobe
10. Barkley

I don't give a shit if Barkley has no rings. Dude was a beast. One of my favorite games ever is when he dropped 56 against the Warriors in the playoffs.

I don't have West because he isn't as accomplished as Kobe and I wasn't leaving my boy Barkley off the list.

That's a list I've never seen. Mad original

Jordan
Wilt
Russell
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Hakeem

How are Kareem, Magic, Kobe, and Shaq not top 10? The only guy I guess you could argue is Chamberlain because of his selfishness with the Warriors and all the playoff disappointments with the Lakers, but all of the guys were totally dominant players.

giri

Irrelevant because Kobe was a better defender than Magic, Shaq, T-Mac. How much better Pippen was at defense doesn't help T Mac so why bring it up?

Stay on topic, Kobe is better than T Mac and Shaq. If you want to make an argument for if Duncan is better than Kobe, that's a better argument. But you're arguing Shaq as if 2004 - hasn't happened and Kobe hasn't passed Shaq in every imaginable category besides finals MVP's in less years.

Edit: Next you'll try to argue that Malone was better than Kobe because Malone used to sweep LA. Were not in 1998 or 2004...this is 2012 - adjust your rankings accordingly

It's not an irrelevant point you espn raddled moron.

When you're comparing players using team accomplishments and media selected awards as definitive criteria you look like an idiot who doesn't understand context at all, and because of that genuinely brings into question how much you understand about basketball.

It's not one exception to this, there's probably hundreds.

But Sun Yue > Stockton i guess.

Omega

Banned

Sarcasm?

How are Kareem, Magic, Kobe, and Shaq not top 10? The only guy I guess you could argue is Chamberlain because of his selfishness with the Warriors and all the playoff disappointments with the Lakers, but all of the guys were totally dominant players.

Not a big fan of Shaq. I always felt he underachieved. He made the most of his prime, but overall I was left a little disappointed. At 7'1, he averaged 2ppg more and 1rpg less than Barkley. (listed at 6'6 but almost everyone says he's probably really 6'4)

Vahagn

It's not an irrelevant point you espn raddled moron.

When you're comparing players using team accomplishments and media selected awards as definitive criteria you look like an idiot who doesn't understand context at all, and because of that genuinely brings into question how much you understand about basketball.

It's not one exception to this, there's probably hundreds.

But Sun Yue > Stockton i guess.

Wtf are you talking about?

Was Kobe a better defender than Magic or TMac? That was the argument being had. I don't believe that Kobe is a better defender than Pippen or Duncan but its an irrevelent point to a Kobe / Magic or Kobe/TMac discussion.

Just because the media awards someone an award you don't agree with, doesn't mean it makes the award completely illegitimate in any and all discussions...

Hell if you really feel that way, I guess the MVP award is a worthless media award that shouldn't be discussed since Nashy won it twice so do us all a favor and follow your own advice - stop bringing it up when discussing Nash from now on, k, thanks

How did that conversation go?

Never laugh at a clown.

Great, there's no real hate there. Not anymore, anyways.

Basically it comes down to one ring, and that's about it. He agreed we'd won more consistently, I agreed they had won more. Literally. The rest was just normal shit (HOFers, records, etc).

I would like the Celts to beat the Heat, but I'm dreaming.

Not a big fan of Shaq. I always felt he underachieved. He made the most of his prime, but overall I was left a little disappointed. At 7'1, he averaged 2ppg more and 1rpg less than Barkley.

I love Shaq, but I see where you're coming from. The summers of Good Livin' didn't really help.
Nor did the alpha to alpha clash with Kobe.

I can't take any list with Hakeem out of the top 5 seriously.

I just laugh at any list with Hakeem above Duncan too.

Now we're talking.

Sanjuro

Great, there's no real hate there. Not anymore, anyways.

Basically it comes down to one ring, and that's about it. He agreed we'd won more consistently, I agreed they had won more. Literally. The rest was just normal shit (HOFers, records, etc).

I would like the Celts to beat the Heat, but I'm dreaming.

I'd like the Celtics to beat the Sixers.

If you backed me in the corner though, it comes down to more than just one ring.

Vahagn

I don't know either.

I feel like Wilt and Russel were great, but they did get to play inferior competition.

Kind of like my Jim Brown argument...

But they hung 50 and 25 on that competition , with worse shoes and medical advancements.

30 and 10 in today's nba would be a joke for prime Wilt i feel like

And Russell would be like KG except better and more dominant inside.

Dy: you didn't answer me, so your list has Duncan and Hakeem as top 5 all time?

I don't know either.

I feel like Wilt and Russel were great, but they did get to play inferior competition.

Kind of like my Jim Brown argument...
I think you can only look at how they performed against their competition at the time. Also, if you watch videos of them you Might have a diff opinion. Wilt and Russel would be dominant today , and in any era, imo

I'd like the Celtics to beat the Sixers.

If you backed me in the corner though, it comes down to more than just one ring.

About the only other thing I could see was MVP's and the streak, which was more a product of the times to me (playoff format). We went back and forth for a while, the one thing we did agree on was that both teams mean more to their cities than the books will ever show.

Numbered lists are flawed in many ways, so I try to avoid them. I will say Kobe was/is not MJ great but probably a league beyond and above all others attmepting to be MJ great. MJ was consistently great where Lebron has the ability to be greater but fails to harness it. Magic was mindblowingly great AND extremely fun to watch, even he had a time where he was labelled mentally weak, but told everyone to ead with his play. Hakeem's movement was unhuman, Duncan was all substance and incrediblly reliable. Shaq was damn near unstoppable.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
But they hung 50 and 25 on that competition , with worse shoes and medical advancements.

30 and 10 in today's nba would be a joke for prime Wilt i feel like

And Russell would be like KG except better and more dominant inside.

Dy: you didn't answer me, so your list has Duncan and Hakeem as top 5 all time?
on my phone worded it wrong

I don't understand why the notion of having four or five Lakers in the top 10 of all time is so appalling to GAF. I mean, you really can't preclude any of these guys from the list:
-Magic
-Kareem
-Wilt
-Shaq
-Kobe

Leaves just enough room for Duncan, Bird, Hakeem, Russell, and Jordan.

Numbered lists are flawed in many ways, so I try to avoid them. I will say Kobe was/is not MJ great but probably a league beyond and above all others attmepting to be MJ great. MJ was consistently great where Lebron has the ability to be greater but fails to harness it. Magic was mindblowingly great AND extremely fun to watch, even he had a time where he was labelled mentally weak, but told everyone to ead with his play. Hakeem's movement was unhuman, Duncan was all substance and incrediblly reliable. Shaq was damn near unstoppable.

And this is why you my hero!

Also, laugh at loud at the whole Russell/Wilt facing weak competition. You're going to hold it against them that the competition wasn't as great? I guess you should lower MJ because Barkley, Ewing, Malone, and co. weren't as great either. Such a dumbass argument. The fact that you belittle the competition because the great ones were so dominant should increase how impressive the great ones were, not belittle them.

Moris your a good man. Bro fist.

Also, I don't think it's unfair to say that Shaq underachieved. He had the body and skill to truly go down as the greatest center of all time and a top 5 player but due to his alleged laziness and refusal to keep himself in shape thoughout his career, it didn't transpire. His peak I'd argue is as dominant as anybody in the history of the league. His defense DEFINITELY left something to be desired when compared to his competition.

So is this a list thread now?

Want to talk about tonights game?

Also, I don't think it's unfair to say that Shaq underachieved. He had the body and skill to truly go down as the greatest center of all time and a top 5 player but due to his alleged laziness and refusal to keep himself in shape thoughout his career, it didn't transpire. His peak I'd argue is as dominant as anybody in the history of the league. His defense DEFINITELY left something to be desired when compared to his competition.

Want to talk about tonights game?

On second thought let's go with the lists.

benjipwns

Banned
Look at his 2000 and 2001 runs when he had Phil's foot in his rear about expending effort on defense and on the glass. Alone he basically dictated who would have the title.

Hakeem > Shaq.

ept_sports_nba_experts-602245149-1280860328.jpg

Derrick01

Banned

Jordan
Wilt
Russell
Kareem
Magic
Bird
Kobe
Duncan
Shaq
Hakeem

I like this list for the most part and it would mimic mine a lot (at least in names, not necessarily order). My only difference is I'd probably bump shaq or hakeem out for Oscar Robertson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom