• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup |OT| Spa1n v The Netherland5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter S.

Damn, USA is ranked higher than I thought. If the sport got even as popular as ice hockey is here I bet the team would always be ranked top 5.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
They were plying their trade at Pescara 2 years ago. 2 years. And now all three are playing in the Word Cup. Insane.

Erik Durm was playing in the german 4th division two years ago and in the 3rd division last year. He was playing in the same league as a friend of mine and now 2 years later he is in the World Cup, crazy to think about.

Horseress

Damn, USA is ranked higher than I thought. If the sport got even as popular as ice hockey is here I bet the team would always be ranked top 5.

I've read some news about it, and from what it looks like, Soccer is almost as popular as Baseball there. Not even close to Football/Basketball tho

Wilbur

Banned
lol no, Italy has a much better squad than England. If you combined both, of the 23 I'd say there would be at least 15 Italian players.

Buffon, Sirigu, Hart

Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Cahill, Baines, Shaw, De Sciglio, Johnson

Pirlo, Marchisio, Gerrard, Verratti, De Rossi, Henderson, Motta

Balotelli, Rooney, Sturridge, Immobile, Sterling

Would be mine I guess. 13 Italian, 10 English.

Hunter S.

I've read some news about it, and from what it looks like, Soccer is almost as popular as Baseball there. Not even close to Football/Basketball tho

Most rankings in the USA have it at 1)NFL/football 2)MLB/baseball 3)NBA/Basketball 4)NHL/Hockey

Hard to tell though because we divide popularity of pro sport against the college level popularity of the sport, rather than adding the same sports together.

Either, way, I am pretty convinced soccer will move up in popularity in the not too far future. .

Peco

Buffon, Sirigu, Hart

Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci, Cahill, Baines, Shaw, De Sciglio, Johnson

Pirlo, Marchisio, Gerrard, Verratti, De Rossi, Henderson, Motta

Balotelli, Rooney, Sturridge, Immobile, Sterling

Would be mine I guess. 13 Italian, 10 English.

Motta and Sterling?

Wilbur pls

gutshot

Based on TV ratings (probably the best way to judge popularity these days) of the pro sports in the US, soccer is almost level with hockey in popularity but still a ways behind football, basketball and baseball. Both college football and basketball would also rank above it.

Hunter S.

Based on TV ratings (probably the best way to judge popularity these days) of the pro sports in the US, soccer is almost level with hockey in popularity but still a ways behind football, basketball and baseball. Both college football and basketball would also rank above it.

There also are a lot of participants in soccer compared to hockey. Though most of them play at youth levels as compared to college, or professional levels. I suspect more people will not play it at higher levels until pro soccer players here earn more money to play it. Like the other top pro sports players do.

That was like my great morning news!
Hope we'll be able to beat the crap out of you too :p (If you play like you played with morocco, it shouldn't be an issue!)
Play like shit---->win without conceding is the patented Capello gameplan. There was nothing Morocco could do. :p

Can someone explain to me how kicktipp works? For example: Day 1, Brazil vs. Croatia. What are the tips I can put in? Is that like my guess for the score?

Wilbur

Banned
A couple of links for you guys.

Firstly, my blog One Sub Left with my predictions. I'd post it all here to save you clicking it but its kinda long and I kinda want the clicks, so here's a few choice quotes to give you a taste of the pleasures within:

The only way Brazil don’t win is if the crippling pressure of being favourites in their home country is too much, or they all develop fucking anaemia like their star player.

Ecuador and Honduras are both sides who are used to the climate and will be tough to beat, but ultimately they lack the quality (step up Antonio Valencia you fucking SHITHOUSE)

we’ll all fucking talk about that time Jordan Henderson nutmegged Dani Alves until we all get pneumonia and DIE

qqY9uda.png

And secondly - dunno if Wes wants to add these into the OT somewhere because they're fucking brilliant - Michael 'Zonal Marking' Cox's analysis of every single team playing. Informative, easy to read for the newcomer and extremely interesting, he's a top writer and he knows his fucking stuff. I urge everyone interested to start reading the teams they want to know more about or they're interested in, but they're all absolutely worth a read.

GROUP A
Brazil: "There has never been more pressure on a side to win a World Cup"
Croatia: "They’ll control games, but converting this dominance into victories is another matter"
Cameroon: "On and off the pitch, it’s all about how Cameroon work as a group"
Mexico: "No other country has such a frustratingly consistent record at recent World Cups"

GROUP B
Spain: "For the first time it is Iniesta, not Xavi, who must become Spain’s technical leader"
Netherlands: "It feels like Van Gaal is trying these shapes because he hasn’t found something that works"
Chile: "It’s almost illogical how a side can dominate games so clearly, yet fail to score"
Australia: "Postecoglou might be too risky in this competition, but in the long-term he could lead Australia to success"

GROUP C
Colombia: "The South American equivalent of Belgium"
Greece: "Their greatest strength is their adaptability and their willingness to vary their approach against different opponents"
Ivory Coast: "It’s difficult to think of another big nation that has appointed a completely inexperienced foreigner as coach"
Japan: "If the aim of football was to dominate possession and get the ball into the final third, they'd be perfect"

GROUP D
Uruguay: "A broken team, focusing on defensive organisation to cover for individual weaknesses in that zone, and relying on individual brilliance"
England: "Fare better than you’d expect against strong opposition, but aren’t good at breaking down weak opponents"
Costa Rica: "Aren’t the worst team at this World Cup, but they might have the least chance of getting out of their group"
Italy: "This is a tough group, and the traditional Italian slow start won’t be acceptable"

GROUP E
Switzerland: "Arguably the real dark horses of the competition, and unlike the faux dark horses, Belgium, they possesses two brilliant full-backs"
Ecuador: "The inescapable truth is that they’re primarily at this tournament because their home qualifiers are played at altitude"
France: "Will offer something different to other sides, with an energetic midfield press and a high defensive line"
Honduras: "They won’t be pushovers, but in raw terms probably have less technical quality than any other side"

GROUP F
Argentina: "In terms of individual quality upfront, no other side can match them"
Bosnia: "The only debutant, and therefore one of the more exciting teams"
Iran: "It’s tough to see them progressing, but they shouldn’t be embarrassed"
Nigeria: "They never found the perfect balance in midfield, and this is again their major issue"

GROUP G
Germany: "Talented players everywhere, but guaranteed cohesion nowhere"
Portugal: "Their starting XI is one of the most predictable in the competition"
Ghana: "They’re forced to become more proactive, but lack the creativity and incision to dominate games and score goals"
USA: "In another group this side would stand a great chance of reaching the knockout stage again"

GROUP H
Belgium: "They haven’t performed well enough to suggest they’re as good as the sum of their parts""
Russia: "An already unexciting side now appears even more unappealing"
Algeria: "If any of the 32 sides in this competition are genuinely underrated, it's them"
South Korea: "It’s in future tournaments – the 2015 Asian Cup, or perhaps even the next World Cup – where they could make their mark"

FootballFan

Switzerland: "Arguably the real dark horses of the competition, and unlike the faux dark horses, Belgium, they possesses two brilliant full-backs"

Belgium: "They haven’t performed well enough to suggest they’re as good as the sum of their parts"

Yes!!!!!

jordisok

Nice idea to collect all of Michael Cox's Tactical predictions Wilbur, someone should edit a link to your post or something into the OP.

Would suggest giving him a follow on twitter too, considering the current state of most football journalism, he's incredibly interesting and consistent for a good few years now.

pappe

I realized it just now but group A is fucking tough.

Also I have a feeling one of CR7 and Messi, if not both, will have an amazing tournament.

By amazing I mwan literally drag their team to latter stages.

Rooting for Ghana, Mexico, Belgium, Chile, France and USA. I love rooting for Ghana, rooting for USA since it's my home country, Mexico is my cultural country, and I like the other countries. But I think Germany might just end up rocking it.

last friendly for Portugal in New Jersey vs Ireland tonight before the WC.

Crosses fingers that nobody gets injured

Happy Portugal Day to all 15 million Portuguese spread around the globe

Great post there Wilbur.

Assuming the climate doesn't absolutely kick their ass, I think England might actually top their group. Italy are my "surprise" early exit team. Uruguay are not impressive at the back but I don't think Italy have the offence to take full advantage.

Would love Chile and Netherlands to go through at Spain's expense.

Mobius 1

You do understand the implications of a final game between us and Argentina at home, right? The country will burst into either it's greatest moment of joy, or an orgy of destruction.

Elchele

My avatar is ready. Have no expectations, just hope not to embarrass ourselves that much against France.

It will be great to have football again all day, this few weeks without football were weird.

LNBL

The harsh truth about the Dutch squad hurts, but ill just keep being ignorant and predict a win against Spain #Huphollandhup

Also, Fifa has taught me that Columbia has some brilliant players, can't wait to see them in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom