• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

14351674661_a259ea0f64_o.png

14351997491_bcd632b95e_o.png

Why are people disliking the graphics on the forest? I think it looks good.

Good? For Unity maybe. In general, no.

The trailer on Steam looks much, much better than anything anyone has shown here, so unless they were bullshotting the whole video, there are graphical updates to come you'd assume.

Pakoe

Good? For Unity maybe. In general, no.

The trailer on Steam looks much, much better than anything anyone has shown here, so unless they were bullshotting the whole video, there are graphical updates to come you'd assume.

That's my problem with the game, the graphics don't match the teaser by a long shot. I would have preferred if they would release the game in a much more stable version but hey, early access is such a huge thing nowadays.

but hey, early access is such a huge thing nowadays.

Of course it is. 1 out of every 100 games will actually ever be finished.

So if you're a dev, list a whole bunch of lies, fake some video footage and 'sell' early access and you're laughing all the way to the bank with little effort.

edit: ugh, don't want to start a new page like that, have some old Far Cry 3...

11457161204_cb68afd715_o_d.jpg

11463030803_23ab635321_o_d.jpg

Tnecniv

Neo Member
14355071941_b2dde462e0_o.png

14171904107_d59978989e_o.png

Not planning to renew, just too many other games in the backlog that need to attend to. Had fun though, may sign up for another month or two down the road when I have more time freed up. Have a few days remaining, will try to cap a few more ESO screens before then.

frangomez

Neo Member
Excuse me maybe this is not the place to post this but as this thread it's all about maximun quality pc graphics I got to complain about Carbine studios not allowing people to make their mmorpg Wildstar look as good as it can.
The game in beta used to allow an option in the user.ini called rendertargetscale to be set freely allowing real supersample and making the game look amazing but since a recent patch and with no further explanation they've capped it ,whyyyyyyy?
It ran very well on my computer, maybe I'm a little too obsessed about pretty graphics but that's why I expended a lot of money on my rig and to me that's what pc gaming it's all about to the point that not allowing that optoin in the final release made me take the decisión to not buy the game.

Spazznid

Excuse me maybe this is not the place to post this but as this thread it's all about maximun quality pc graphics I got to complain about Carbine studios not allowing people to make their mmorpg Wildstar look as good as it can.
The game in beta used to allow an option in the user.ini called rendertargetscale to be set freely allowing real supersample and making the game look amazing but since a recent patch and with no further explanation they've capped it ,whyyyyyyy?
It ran very well on my computer, maybe I'm a little too obsessed about pretty graphics but that's why I expended a lot of money on my rig and to me that's what pc gaming it's all about to the point that not allowing that optoin in the final release made me take the decisión to not buy the game.

Probably due to stability problems.

I'm unsure of the engine those guys are using, probably an original one, but some engines don't play well with some features. The beta is a good chance to get some feedback, but considering the supersampling setting wasn't available in-game, and only through an ini tweak, I'd assuem it was only there because it was un-tested or was considered broken and wasn't removed yet.

It might work for your PC, but maybe it causes issues with other people's PC's or maybe it affected the client in a negative way that isn't immediately noticeable. If there's still an ini file, I'd try adding the line manually to see if it wtill worked even though they removed the line. Otherwise, one can't say. I know Planetside 2 has a similar command in its ini file, but the devs refused to add it to the in-game settings due to some instability and a lack of people asking for it. Most people can't supersample games with a respectable framerate. the PS2 devs at least left the ini alone, and you can still supersample it. If you really need to, you can always downsample Wildstar. I don't know how it would affect the UI, probably result in a tiny UI, but if IQ is that important to you, then that's about all I can advise. (Other than seeing if you can use Inspector to apply some SGSSAA)

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Have been lurking in this thread for a while but have decided to try taking some screenshots. My first time doing something like this so any tips would be grateful, please go easy on me :)

14357834521_25b8809844_o.png

14174585560_b5f282bcce_o.png

Thorgal

Have been lurking in this thread for a while but have decided to try taking some screenshots. My first time doing something like this so any tips would be grateful, please go easy on me :)

14357834521_25b8809844_o.png

14174585560_b5f282bcce_o.png

Are those shots taken during cut scenes or during Regular battle ?

I have been looking for a way to get rid of the hud .

Reese-015

Have you used 3D vision? The effect of "I'm focusing on this thing in the foreground and the thing in the background is out of focus" and the effect of "I'm focusing on this thing in the background and the thing in the foreground is out of focus" absolutely happens.

When you're using 3D vision, both of your eyes are being fed an entirely different image, much the same way your eyes actually would see things.

I don't know if this is something you know how to do, but I'm going to post a 3D image taken from Bit.Trip.Runner 2. This isn't a perfect representation of how the game looks with glasses, but if you do it correctly you can actually see what I'm talking about without needing a 3D monitor. The depth is cranked up to maximum for this to really exaggerate the effect and make it obvious that it is present.

Edit: Once the page fully loads, you can click either of the below images to expand them to full size.

Now, cross your eyes so that both of the images overlap. You don't need to cross your eyes too much, just enough that one is over the other. If you know how to do magic eye posters, it's the same concept.

Here's actually a little tutorial and practice image I made a while back that should be an easier example to test on. It's sort of a "riding your bike" kind of skill. Once you learn how to do it, you can basically do it always.

Once you're able to lock it so that the images are overlapped, you'll see that you can actually view the image in full 3D, there's depth and everything. The closer you are to the screen, of course the more your eyes need to be crossed. Once you have it locked, you can move away from the screen some to make it easier on your eyes and make it less strenuous to focus on things.

Once you're able to do that, try focusing on the gold bricks. If you do, you'll notice that the house in the background is now out of focus, as well as the mountains. But, there's no fake DoF effect being applied here, so do the same for the house. Now the gold bricks look out of focus.

This is exactly the effect you're talking about, and it's absolutely capable of doing it. There's no tech needed with thousands of little lenses in a grid, it's already achievable with a 120hz monitor and glasses synced to filter at 60hz per eye alternating.

The effect is better with the glasses because theres no eye crossing involved, it fills the whole screen, and of course everything is moving at 60fps which makes it more realistic and lifelike, but the fact of the matter is that with 3D vision you absolutely get that depth of field effect.

If you just think of it practically, it of course makes sense. Imagine using two cameras, one directly in front of your left eye, and one directly in front of your right eye. Those two images would be what your eye is currently seeing. Show both of those images to your eye, and they can interpret the 3D space from it. That's exactly what 3D vision is doing.

I apologize for replying to this only several pages later but anyway.

Nope this is not depth of field though I can see why you think it is. You get stereoscopic depth alright and as always we get by far the most clarity from whatever is in the center of our view. Right now I'm looking at my screen and if I mentally focus on the taskbar without moving my eyes to it, I can't make out much of it. That's obviously not because of depth of field though because the distance to it is just about the same.

Natural depth of field doesn't even require stereoscopy and certainly can not be simulated with it. The details for this I explained in my previous post in this thread. If stereoscopy could actually trigger natural DoF we wouldn't have even John Carmack complain about how upcoming VR headsets lack any true DoF effect.

To really make my point clearly: here's an experiment that does the opposite of what yours does and proves the opposite in a much more irrefutable manner: close one eye, hold your finger about 20cm away from your open eye and focus on it... Now see how dramatically blurred everything else is. THAT is DoF.

And just to be clear once more: I think DoF fx in games are awesome much of the time. People who claim DoF in games is useless because the eyes naturally create it anyway have no clue what they're talking about.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Are those shots taken during cut scenes or during Regular battle ?

I have been looking for a way to get rid of the hud .

Neither.

The only way to get ultimates without the HUD ( that i am aware of and how i did it ) is to

- Go onto to the ultimate story mode
- Go to the Bandai shop at the leaf village
- Purchase a characters ultimate jutsu
- Press start, go to collectibles, and from there choose ultimate jutsus. And select the character you want and which ultimate jutsu you want. It will then loop the ultimate jutsu cutscene as much as you want without a HUD :)

As far as I know there is no way to get standard battles without a HUD, but I'm sure if you look further there will be a mod for it , but why would you ? The ultimate jutsus are all screenshot worthy.

Hope I helped.

Thorgal

Neither.

The only way to get ultimates without the HUD ( that i am aware of and how i did it ) is to

- Go onto to the ultimate story mode
- Go to the Bandai shop at the leaf village
- Purchase a characters ultimate jutsu
- Press start, go to collectibles, and from there choose ultimate jutsus. And select the character you want and which ultimate jutsu you want. It will then loop the ultimate jutsu cutscene as much as you want without a HUD :)

As far as I know there is no way to get standard battles without a HUD, but I'm sure if you look further there will be a mod for it , but why would you ? The ultimate jutsus are all screenshot worthy.

Hope I helped.

Thanks !

And you are right about them being screenshot worthy but there are also some very good animations during combat itself that you cannot take without the Hud .

I once Asked Durante about it and while he said it is possible to hide the hud and that he could make a tool for that , i guess he decided in the end not to bother with it .

ns3fb2014-06-0623-59-7esiq.jpg

ns3fb2014-06-0700-14-81sfc.jpg

Top Bottom