• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

14160977148_61e72d3d96_o.png

14324498806_5ccb1b3aa4_o.png

In-game SLI causes artifacts atm, good fps but unplayable artifacts. Running at 4K @ Very High gives me about ~22fps with a single 780, and about ~35fps+ w/SLI.
14161178447_20a1cdf880_o.jpg

Still waiting on Nvidias 880 to drop later this year. Three way SLI 880s should do the job :p

GavinUK86

I have no idea what's going on in Star Citizen but it sure is pretty.

How do they compare to the main game's content? I played it a lot (nearing the end) on PS3 since it was free for PS+ subscribers, but I don't think I want to bother with the DLC. Game is way, way too easy (even on Hard) and the copy/paste dungeons get old fast.

About the same, quality wise. I guess that can be a good or bad thing depending on your feelings towards the main game.

BONKERS

yep, but there're many others much more beautiful and elegant (Bioshock, Batman, DmC . RemMe..etc) I respect ur opinion even if i do not agree though.

Oh definitely I can agree those are some of the best looking UE3 games. I think M:SS is up there with them. (Not saying it's better than them, but that it's one of the best) That's just me though.

What AA are you using for Murdered, if you don't mind me asking?

Playing through Amalur again with SGSS at mostly 60fps is nice. There is a slight bright edge border glitch but I reckon that can be remedied with sweetfx border setting. Game is showing its age but overall, I still dig it.

14340936131_0879cc7764_o.png

14157611808_b6500f9761_o.png

My shots are just 3264x1836(Or 3200x1800) with FXAA-High with my mentioned texture streaming tweaks, distortion disabled (Because it causes aliasing), CA disabled and SSAO.

This is entirely playable from 40-70FPS on my 570 too.

4xMSAA misses a lot of things and the EQAA don't seem to do much (AMD specific i'm guessing) and performance at high resolutions suffers just because my 570 is a 570.

If I was taking just shots with disregard for performance, i'd probably use 4xMSAA with Driver FXAA layered on top.

SGSSAA doesn't work via enhance. The game could sorely use it though. Temporally it's good quality with my mentioned setup, but it's not SGSSAA quality.

One3rd

Is this all while having GeDoSaTo enabled? That may be the issue maybe.
In my case, no. I removed all external modifications except for driver forced HBAO+ and ran around looking closely at joins in walls! At 1920x1080 it works most of the time but at 3200x1800 it works very rarely.

Oh, and the Star Citizen shots are ace! I know I'll be kicking myself for not buying in at ground level when this actually becomes a playable game.

BONKERS

In my case, no. I removed all external modifications except for driver forced HBAO+ and ran around looking closely at joins in walls! At 1920x1080 it works most of the time but at 3200x1800 it works very rarely.

Oh, and the Star Citizen shots are ace! I know I'll be kicking myself for not buying in at ground level when this actually becomes a playable game.

Strange. I might have to load it up and test it myself to see if it has the same behavior.

Thanks

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Nice StarCitizen shots from everyone. Game's looking good.

@ Tnecniv...do you recommend playing that RPG game? I wanted to get it a while back, and then totally forgot about it!

14340494804_b2491e06ba_o.png

14318151676_cd5afc77c5_o.png
Absolutely. The art direction on its own is worth the price of admission, imo. The fun combat just seals the deal! The story, while solid, is the weakest part for me, the good art and combat more than make up for it.

Excellent Shift 2 shots, btw, that is a good game. I still play it on occasion.

It's a great game! Get it bundled with the two DLC quests if you can because they're really good too. If 38 Studios stuck with the single player game for a while and didn't try to force the MMO out, maybe they wouldn't of gone under.
Agreed!

Sorry about the poor AA, my computer really can't keep up with the game if I use supersampling. My CPU (i5 750) is a massive bottleneck in Skyrim :(

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim by AnyoneInCherno, on Flickr

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim by AnyoneInCherno, on Flickr
Looks great to me, don't always need flawless aa. Good art and composition goes a long way. A bit off topic but mariokart8 is a great example of this. Jaggies everywhere but art direction shines through and looks excellent nonetheless.

Thanks, I really do appreciate your constructive feedback.

On another note, I've determined that the HBAO+ does not work reliably at all. At 1920x1080 it is good about 80% of the time but does glitch out randomly on certain levels. At any higher resolutions it only seems to work about 10% of the time. For now I've disabled it as it wasn't showing up in any of the 6400x3600 shots and that is where I think the best IQ is for me ATM. I'm glad I did get a couple of shots at 3200x1800 with it showing though...just wish it was doing that all the time.

14342206661_4a1be7528e_o.jpg
Keep up the great Syndicate shots, all looking good. But that one is just mind bogglingly nice to me.

Yeah,that border issue happens with a lot of games and SGSSAA. SweetFX works great to fix it.
Yeah, so nice, I almost couldn't play Dishonored without it.

My shots are just 3264x1836(Or 3200x1800) with FXAA-High with my mentioned texture streaming tweaks, distortion disabled (Because it causes aliasing), CA disabled and SSAO.

This is entirely playable from 40-70FPS on my 570 too.

4xMSAA misses a lot of things and the EQAA don't seem to do much (AMD specific i'm guessing) and performance at high resolutions suffers just because my 570 is a 570.

If I was taking just shots with disregard for performance, i'd probably use 4xMSAA with Driver FXAA layered on top.

SGSSAA doesn't work via enhance. The game could sorely use it though. Temporally it's good quality with my mentioned setup, but it's not SGSSAA quality.
Thanks, for all that info. I, too, found downsampling + FXAA High worked best. I also couldn't get enhanced SGSS working, as well, good to know I wasn't missing something.

And like you mentioned earlier, HDAO is pretty worthless, too much flickering. Have you found an HBAO flag that works?

And Personally I think after some tweaking it's definitely in the top 10 best looking UE3 games. Considering this is basically just an Adventure game that nearly manages to avoid nearly every UE3 graphical cliche out there. I think that's a nice feat.
iykrLQkhq6GSF.png
Great job, you're murdered screenies look excellent.

BONKERS

Nice StarCitizen shots from everyone. Game's looking good.

Absolutely. The art direction on its own is worth the price of admission, imo. The fun combat just seals the deal! The story, while solid, is the weakest part for me, the good art and combat more than make up for it.

Excellent Shift 2 shots, btw, that is a good game. I still play it on occasion.

Agreed!

Looks great to me, don't always need flawless aa. Good art and composition goes a long way. A bit off topic but mariokart8 is a great example of this. Jaggies everywhere but art direction shines through and looks excellent nonetheless.

Keep up the great Syndicate shots, all looking good. But that one is just mind bogglingly nice to me.

Yeah, so nice, I almost couldn't play Dishonored without it.

Thanks, for all that info. I, too, found downsampling + FXAA High worked best. I also couldn't get enhanced SGSS working, as well, good to know I wasn't missing something.

And like you mentioned earlier, HDAO is pretty worthless, too much flickering. Have you found an HBAO flag that works?

Great job, you're murdered screenies look excellent.

I tested about 10-15 DX10/11 HBAO+ flags, nothing quite worked.

But apparently, the game has a hidden DX9 mode if you add -DX9 to the launch options.
Which means SGSSAA works fine, and HBAO+ will probably be easier to get to work.

DX11 4xSSAA+FXAA with the in game SSAO does produce great IQ while performing very well too.

I wonder if there are any caveats to using DX9 though. Will have to try figuring it out.

There is also a setting in the system settings ini that has me curious "EnableGPUFrameSync="

Also: Magrunner looks fantabulous

One3rd

I like how it looks like <insert generic Ubisoft character name here> is a part of the forest environment in this shot.

Thanks, I liked the lighting and structures in that room. One shot was from above the water level and the other was from beneath. Making the transition seemed to strip away most of the textures and change the colouration in the other shot.

Edit: And those Magrunner shots. It looks pretty good, I may have to try it out after finishing with Syndicate. Cthulhu and sterile "test lab" environments seems like an interesting mix!

14326350456_cd3dd705fe_o.jpg

14162885870_3563990c84_o.jpg

For images I haven't posted here you can find them in my album on Flickr.

BONKERS

We want more Murdered screenshots..so far I've only seen shots taken from the first sequence of the game.

Thanks!

I plan on playing through the game very soon. And another playthrough for screenshotting.

Game isn't supposed to be very long, so I could probably do all that on one of my days off.

One3rd

DAMN. That is so close to perfect. The smoke is such a bitch.
Thanks, I went back to that level to take some 3:4 AR shots but really liked how the full size shot below came out.

As soon as I saw your shot it made me think of this.

ztSgjfM.png
Wow! That is uncanny! I hadn't even seen that shot before. I guess I must be using the same devtools as the marketing guys doing the promo shots.

LOL, that article is brilliant. Thanks for that.
NP, I had just read the article before seeing those ACIV shots and it was fresh on my mind!

14351328265_402e6991ba_o.jpg

Alternate 3:4.

14164669788_00e040f358_o.jpg

Sanjay

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Tow! That is uncanny! I hadn't even seen that shot before. I guess I must be using the same devtools as the marketing guys doing the promo shots.

Aha no, i threw that together. I meant to say it reminded me of how you always see games box art with that strong orange/blue contrast.

Top Bottom