• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

THE RULES:
Compression: Don't compress your screens (aka .jpg) or use a host that compresses them (Steam, Imgur).

Post 1.
It's not exactly about the format. it's because there's no reason, besides some really specific cases, to post a native 4k shot. it would be better to use a program to resize is to 1080p and them post it. it would look better, and save some people's bandwidth.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
THE RULES:
Compression: Don't compress your screens (aka .jpg) or use a host that compresses them (Steam, Imgur).

Post 1.

That's not really an excuse to post 4, 4K PNGs, with multiple topping out above 10Mb each.

At the very least resize them to 1080p first and ideally you'd convert it to a max quality JPEG (which has been shown to be nearly identical quality at a significantly smaller file size, and the post even has instructions on how to easily do so).

Posting a full, 4K PNG file doesn't really benefit anyone because the vast majority, maybe all of us don't have 4K displays, and the whole point of rendering at 4K is so you can downsample and get the AA that provides.

If you really want to share the full size images, you should link them and embed the smaller 1080p versions.

Blizzard

Banned
NaissanceE, 2x2SS so I can play at 60 fps.

udk2014-02-1423-14-40pcsyp.png

udk2014-02-1423-58-24f5s27.png

That first big hallway reminded me of the description in one of the Helix books about the (book spoiler)
HUGE passageways with train rails in the middle of the helix

Posting a full, 4K PNG file doesn't really benefit anyone because the vast majority, maybe all of us don't have 4K displays, and the whole point of rendering at 4K is so you can downsample and get the AA that provides.

If you really want to share the full size images, you should link them and embed the smaller 1080p versions.

^^ this

12533997914_a692584ebc_o.jpg

12533683463_8d66d91c2a_o.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yeah. The grain was hiding banding alright. And it's unfortunate.

This is more of a general question to everyone but - what's up with banding in video games?

You'd think that our displays would have enough colors that when games are rendered, it's in a color space where banding is non-existant.

And there are obviously some games where banding really isn't a problem.

So what is it about same games that cause them to get terrible banding and others not? Why isn't it a gradual fade like you'd expect?

I have a feeling it's likely related to post-processing and possibly more specifically to any blur that's applied - like depth of field.

If anyone has insight I'd love to hear it.

ReeceIsAlive

Neo Member
This is more of a general question to everyone but - what's up with banding in video games?

You'd think that our displays would have enough colors that when games are rendered, it's in a color space where banding is non-existant.

So what is it about same games that cause them to get terrible banding and others not? Why isn't it a gradual fade like you'd expect?

I have a feeling it's likely related to post-processing and possibly more specifically to any blur that's applied - like depth of field.

From experience there are a variety of things that contribute to banding, I spend a lot of time in software like after effects, 4d, 3ds etc and usually the main cause of banding is post processing or ambient occlusion. Simulating bloom in post using after effects etc will cause a lot of banding even at a 32bit colour depth. Ambient occlusion, especially in modern games where it's really prominent and dare I say it, shit, contributes to some pretty subtle banding due to the low sampling rate and contrast. Then add some post processing to imitate hdr, bloom and dof, you've got your self some pretty hefty banding. But to answer your question I believe it's due to sampling rates being too low, as it would be difficult to get a decent framerate in realtime rendering for these effects which can cripple rendering times for composite artists and editors alike.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
From experience their are a variety of things that contribute to banding, I spend a lot of time in software like after effects, 4d, 3ds etc and usually the main cause of banding is post processing or ambient occlusion. Simulating bloom in post using after effects etc will cause a lot of banding even at a 32bit colour depth. Ambient occlusion, especially in modern games were it's really prominent and dare I say it, shit, contributes to some pretty subtle banding due to the low sampling rate and contrast. Then add some post processing to imitate hdr, bloom and dof, you've got your self some pretty hefty banding. But to answer your question I believe it's due to sampling rates being too low, as it would be difficult to get a decent framerate in realtime rendering for these effects which can cripple rendering times for composite artists and editors alike.

Appreciate the insight and I was thinking along those lines (post processing!) but didn't even consider it being low sample rates of the effects.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge

Blizzard

Banned
I thought I had tried turning nearly all effects off in the UDK in an attempt to improve banding, but maybe I missed some. Maybe some can't be disabled.

Four more NaissanceE shots. Please let me know if any of these are too spoilery for certain environments. I apologize that the shots are crappy, still only 2xSS, and at this point I barely know what things are supposed to look like in the game. It felt like there was 20 minutes or so where you could hardly see ANYTHING, and everything was crazy or abstract or seizure-inducing screen flashes, and then things finally went back to the architecture exploration stuff.

I got to what I assume was the very last scene of the game, only to discover that (like several earlier scenes) the checkpoint is much further back than you might hope for, and you have to wait through a slooooooow unskippable sequence where absolutely nothing happens in order to retry. I ragequit, bedtime. =P (Also, there were at least two earlier places in the game where it pretty blatantly trolls the player)

udk2014-02-1500-04-109bsxh.png

udk2014-02-1502-47-59w9kne.png

Blizzard

Banned
Last two NaissanceE shots for the evening:

udk2014-02-1503-06-49scjsu.png

Purpose of this room spoiler:
I found no purpose to this room WHATSOEVER. Maybe there is an easter egg, maybe there is a secret or alternate route. I sure didn't find it. I wasted a bunch of time and eventually ended up going somewhere completely different, lol.

udk2014-02-1504-26-49a3jao.png

This was one of my favorite environments. After the electrical bolt flashes, nearby surfaces sometimes light up, and the sound is delayed like distant lightning would be. It's neat.

That's not really an excuse to post 4, 4K PNGs, with multiple topping out above 10Mb each.

At the very least resize them to 1080p first and ideally you'd convert it to a max quality JPEG (which has been shown to be nearly identical quality at a significantly smaller file size, and the post even has instructions on how to easily do so).

That was last gen.

Is there an easy way to remove the hud in that game? i never got any screens from it cause of the hud

This is what a fellow GAFer told me to do, it's very simple :)
There is an ingame photo mode which is quite good. It takes horribly lossy JPGs in 720p BUT if you bind your screencap key to the same key as the in-game photo key, voila, you'll shoot the scene as it appears, without the HUD. No mods necessary and the camera can do pretty much anything you want

I got to what I assume was the very last scene of the game, only to discover that (like several earlier scenes) the checkpoint is much further back than you might hope for, and you have to wait through a slooooooow unskippable sequence where absolutely nothing happens in order to retry. I ragequit, bedtime. =P (Also, there were at least two earlier places in the game where it pretty blatantly trolls the player)

I'm stuck right now and have no clue how to progress. It's 95% darkness with only these random white cubes flying around in the middle of the room. I see nowhere I can go, and I'm a bit bored of trying to guess what this game wants me to do. It's just..... weird. And I don't think I can handle the banding anymore O_O

This area was also particularly difficult, but at least I knew what to do (run forward....)

12543144375_8c08e33f73_o.jpg

12543309223_04d7c8ea51_o.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright I have no idea what that game is, but the way you guys are talking about it and worried about giving up spoilers, it seems totally worth playing.

Is it actually cool to play?

Is it actually cool to play?

.... fuck no.

Seriously, I think I hate this game. I'm only trying to progress to find the visuals. But I'm at a loss as what kind of interesting screenshots to take of this game. This is pretty fantastic though.

It's a first person platformer, which is already enough to scare way most people. Just lots of precise jumps and figuring out how to get to that platform up there. What's worse is that some of the layouts and environments are really confusing. One part of the game goes completely pitch black (or white, depending on the door you go through), and you can only kinda see where to go based on a random flash of light or shadow every 2 seconds. I used the UE3 wireframe command to get through that because I couldn't be bothered.

And now I'm stick in a black room where I can't even see where I can go. I guess I'm just supposed to run along the wall and wait until a doorway appears but... eh. I think I'm done.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
.... fuck no.

Seriously, I think I hate this game. I'm only trying to progress to find the visuals. But I'm at a loss as what kind of interesting screenshots to take of this game. This is pretty fantastic though.

It's a first person platformer, which is already enough to scare way most people. Just lots of precise jumps and figuring out how to get to that platform up there. What's worse is that some of the layouts and environments are really confusing. One part of the game goes completely pitch black (or white, depending on the door you go through), and you can only kinda see where to go based on a random flash of light or shadow every 2 seconds. I used the UE3 wireframe command to get through that because I couldn't be bothered.

And now I'm stick in a black room where I can't even see where I can go. I guess I'm just supposed to run along the wall and wait until a doorway appears but... eh. I think I'm done.

Well that's sort of a huge bummer!

I think that I'm gonna wait on a 3D vision report. If it's good in 3D I think it might be worth going through regardless of bad gameplay. Thanks for the little run through.

Blizzard

Banned
.... fuck no.

I stopped trying the seizure-inducing black door, but I managed to very slowly make it through the white one.

The spinning parts where you have to run forwards were really annoying like you mentioned, with a checkpoint way back.

The game actually DOES get to some really interesting environments and goes back to "normal" mode (I posted one of them with the electrical bolt), but you have to slog through the really crappy areas where you can't see anything first.

Speaking of crazy effects, did you get to the ultra bloom area?
There's a place with a lot of spinning, floating platforms you have to climb, and low gravity. It would not be so bad, but they cranked the bloom and blur to 11, so you're basically playing on drugs or something.

I posted some similar thoughts in the OT. The architecture and creativity with the enormous scale is great, but especially 6-8 hours in, there are some truly rage-inducing parts that make it difficult to enjoy.

Speaking of crazy effects, did you get to the ultra bloom area?
There's a place with a lot of spinning, floating platforms you have to climb, and low gravity. It would not be so bad, but they cranked the bloom and blur to 11, so you're basically playing on drugs or something.

When I get back to my PC, I'll try and take a screenshot where I'm at and see if anyone can tell me what to do or where to go. Because I'm stuck\frustrated. I'll probably post it in the OT (didn't know there was one)

BONKERS

It's not exactly about the format. it's because there's no reason, besides some really specific cases, to post a native 4k shot. it would be better to use a program to resize is to 1080p and them post it. it would look better, and save some people's bandwidth.

This.

Pictures should be downsampled first. It defeats the point otherwise.

If you have to post a PNG at 4k. Make it a link only, or convert it to level 12 JPG in photoshop first.
I'd love to force SGSSAA (I have a GTX 770), but I don't even know where to enter the flag. =P Do I need a third-party tool other than the nVidia control panel?

Also, neoenigma, a bunch of your pictures got murdered by flickr.

That's what I was afraid of, the grain was to combat banding. When I would work with stuff in the UDK it seemed like banding was an awful problem and I never found a way to fix it for solid colors. Everyone just said "well use a texture" or use grain or something. :p

And everyone is posting the game, darnit! I have GOT to start tonight before the entire thing gets posted.

Whoops, missed your post. Thank you! I will search for nVidia Inspector.

It turns out trying to force 4xMSAA, 4xSGSSAA kills my framerate with a GTX 770 and 4.5 GHz 3570k. :( Any ideas? I'd really like 60 fps if possible.

Try 2xSGSSAA and some minor downsampling (IE: 1.2x * 1.2x , so if your display is 1920x1080 1.2x * 1.2x would be 2304x1296)
You can also try adding SMAA or FXAA on top of your 2xSSAA to help smooth out edges

It's a combination of a number of factors. The precision in which the rendering is done and the precision in which rendering of specific effects is done.
It's a side effect of "Optimization" unfortunately. I wish in PC versions we could have an option to change said precision of different effects so games are more forward compatible for the future.

Look at Syndicate (2012) for example, it has an RGBA8 and RGBA16(F? can't remember) option. RGBA16 is banding free for just about everything. RGBA8 has banding all over the place when it comes to things like fog and other stuff

Here's a comparison

RGBA8 http://i.minus.com/iZy2w1u6uMAdL.png
RGBA16 http://i.minus.com/ibrnqWQSZxA7dB.png

Owari

Is there a better image host than the ones in the OP? I can't get any to work that don't ruin the quality/turn it into crap .jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a better image host than the ones in the OP? I can't get any to work that don't ruin the quality/turn it into crap .jpg
I use Abload, which is mentioned in the OP, that works well for me but I only upload PNG files. Maybe you could try Google Drive or similar, that doesn't compress images as far as I know.

Top Bottom