• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2nd Child of Pa. Couple Dies After Only Praying (Update: sentenced)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friggz

i cant say im an expert in law, but can a judge overrule the verdict of a jury if he seems fit?

I would love to see a judge look at the verdict provided by a jury and just say "fuck this, im sentencing you both to death"

Questioning these kids' deaths is implying God is not in control.

So you're saying that God wanted the child to die? If so, perhaps God could have given them the clarity of thought before they had sex to not do so, and save a baby from what was likely a painful and confusing death.

Hari Seldon

Right, exactly. Most Christians are at least smart enough to know that you're not supposed to actually live your life like your faith is true and your god exists.

Lololol. Most Christians aren't in some crazy cult denomination that interprets the bible completely incorrectly. Only for about a thousand years have Christians been running hospitals all over the world. And in many countries, they were the only ones running hospitals.

jay

So you're saying that God wanted the child to die? If so, perhaps God could have given them the clarity of thought before they had sex to not do so, and save a baby from what was likely a painful and confusing death.

Sorry. I think this thread boils down to the problem of evil and I'm running through it in my head and posting pieces of it. I think the response to what I posted is supposed to be something about free will.

To Christians saying these people have an incorrect interpretation of the bible:
Any interpretation of the bible is as valid as the next. You can cherry pick verses to match whatever worldview you want.

Demon Ice

Banned
Lololol. Most Christians aren't in some crazy cult denomination that interprets the bible completely incorrectly. Only for about a thousand years have Christians been running hospitals all over the world. And in many countries, they were the only ones running hospitals.

Yes because they recognized that even though they like to talk about there being a powerful, perfect, and omniscient force for good, said force was apparently doing nothing about disease and injury found worldwide, so they would have to do it themselves.

Article in the OP is an example of perfect, unwavering faith.

Camp Lo

Banned

All of them are in a crazy cult denomination that interprets the bible as fact. No matter how crazy this "fanatical cousin" seems to be, they're all in the same family.

That's bullshit, and I'm not at all religious.

Oh, they don't all believe the bible is fact?

Hari Seldon

Yes because they recognized that even though they like to talk about there being a powerful, perfect, and omniscient force for good, said force was apparently doing nothing about disease and injury found worldwide, so they would have to do it themselves.

Article in the OP is an example of perfect, unwavering faith.

Perhaps the bible inspired the Christians to create hospitals all over the world, and therefore God indeed healed the sick.

I dont really get why people would think a god would help any one of us.

God hates us and he can't even help Himself, apparently. Man, people can be so fucking foolish.

Here's what I don't understand:

If you believe in a god, and it created EVERYTHING... Didn't it also create medical science?

Why the fuck would you only pray?

Demon Ice

Banned
Perhaps the bible inspired the Christians to create hospitals all over the world, and therefore God indeed healed the sick.

I'm going to not ask the obvious question of "Why didn't god just eradicate all disease?" because you don't have an answer to that.

Instead I'm going to point out that there is nothing inherent to building a hospital that limits it to Christianity. There are hospitals all over the world that are run by all sorts of religions. And some are even secular! Imagine that.

So your suggestion falls flat on its face.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Here's what I don't understand:

If you believe in a god, and it created EVERYTHING... Didn't it also create medical science?

Why the fuck would you only pray?

every church wants to be the right one, and so they look for ways to differentiate themselves - and compete. Its a business.

I'm not religious, and I'm not trying to defend these guys, but let's say god did create the universe and jesus was his son. God also likewise gave society the medicinal drugs it currently has in one form or another, in this scenario, so what's wrong with using them?

Neglect, any way you look at it.

jay

I'm not religious, and I'm not trying to defend these guys, but let's say god did create the universe and jesus was his son. God also likewise gave society the medicinal drugs it currently has in one form or another, in this scenario, so what's wrong with using them?

Neglect, any way you look at it.

This is the same god who created fake dinosaur fossils to test our faith.

I don't see the problem. Everything happens for a reason.

this.

it's their family's religion, who are we to judge them? they have all the right in the world to practice their beliefs. it is obvious that they were very caring parents and deeply religious if they really prayed a lot for the children, but God decided to take them anyway.. so i dont see the problem. God heard them for sure, so them dying as Christian kids was probably a good thing because now they are in Heaven, before the world could corrupt them. in fact you could say God blessed the family. they are the lucky ones.. IMHO

That's very sad to hear. Doctors exist for a reason and I don't think the Bible prohibits in any part, for us to take care of each other. I don't understand this war between Science and Religion, they aren't opposite or anything.

And now innocent children are dead.

Camp Lo

Banned
No, not all Christians believe that the Bible is 100% literally true. This shouldn't be news to anyone.

I was binary in my question, do they believe the bible is true? I don't give a shit about their percentage; Hell, I believe the bible is 0% literally true, am I in the same boat with some of them?

Jacob

I was binary in my question, do they believe the bible is true? I don't give a shit about their percentage; Hell, I believe the bible is 0% literally true, am I in the same boat with some of them?

I have no idea what you think you are proving in this thread, but it's really kind of offensive and I'm not even religious. The vast majority of Christians have nothing whatsoever to do with faith healing groups, so your apparent attempts to pin part of the blame on Christians as a whole is just as problematic as people who try to pin blame for terrorist attacks on all Muslims. As an atheist, please lighten up with your crusade.

this.

it's their family's religion, who are we to judge them? they have all the right in the world to practice their beliefs. it is obvious that they were very caring parents and deeply religious if they really prayed a lot for the children, but God decided to take them anyway.. so i dont see the problem. God heard them for sure, so them dying as Christian kids was probably a good thing because now they are in Heaven, before the world could corrupt them. in fact you could say God blessed the family. they are the lucky ones.. IMHO

Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me?
Please tell me you are joking.
EDIT: He was joking. Thank the gods (the old and the new)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
To Christians saying these people have an incorrect interpretation of the bible:
Any interpretation of the bible is as valid as the next. You can cherry pick verses to match whatever worldview you want.

By that logic, so is the US Constitution. Guns and slaves for EVERYONE!

Hari Seldon

The difference isn't in the percent truth, it is in how you interpret the various parables. The vast majority of the Bible is not as straight forward as the 10 commandments.

The problem is doubly hard with the Bible, since it was written in the year 0 for a year 0 audience. This is like someone reading Homer and deciding to start fucking sacking cities because they have no idea what the point of the story is.

Camp Lo

Banned
I have no idea what you think you are proving in this thread, but it's really kind of offensive and I'm not even religious. The vast majority of Christians have nothing whatsoever to do with faith healing groups, so your apparent attempts to pin part of the blame on Christians as a whole is just as problematic as people who try to pin blame for terrorist attacks on all Muslims. As an atheist, please lighten up with your crusade.

My point sort of flared up when Christians swooped in to differentiate themselves from these people; a group of word-for-word Christians who took the bible extremely serious. I don't see a difference between them and the OP group on the level of believing the Bible is the way. These are apologists and the problem with them is their religion is based on faith, so don't take the higher ground when some Christians take their faith too far.

It's all gone too far at the end of the day.

this.

My sarcasm meter must be broken, right?

UrbanRats

Reminds me of this joke in pursuit of Happiness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUNcyyhXVlU

I wonder if the parents wanted the kid to die, using prayer as an excuse to let his health deteriorate :/

Reminds me of the story of the guy lost at sea.

Short paraphrased version:

Guy is lost as sea, a boat comes by but the guy waves it off. God will save me! A helicopter comes by but he again waves it off. Finally a whale approaches but he clings to his life raft.

He drowns and then asks god why he didn't save him. God says "I sent a boat, a plane and a whale"

A man on a sinking ship gets on his knees and prays for rescue.

As the ship goes down, a rescue ship appears on the horizon. As it nears, the man can hear someone shouting for him to climb aboard.

"Nope," says the man, "I'm waiting for God to save me."

"Moron!" says the voice, and the rescue ship fades away.

The ship sinks, and the man gets to the pearly gates and demands to know why God didn't save him.

"Moron!" God says.

The Lord sent us the same joke three times! Blessings!
--
Those dumbasses should go to jail obviously, though i wonder what good would do them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom