• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

49 percent of Americans agree with Trump's travel ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadotsu

Banned
I'm not talking about the refugee vetting. I'm talking about people coming and going from specific countries or regions.

Please tell me the status quo of granting visas to citizens of those specific countries and why it is lacking. In detail.

E-Cat

Seriously where are these statistics happening, cause ive never been part of one nor her people talk about them to say that Neely half of everyone agrees with this
"That useless mass of land between Los Angeles and New York called America".

Wulfric

If so many people seemingly support it, then why are we having all these protests weekly, statements from companies in every industry, and criticism coming from across the world?

Smh at those numbers, this situation is legit concerning. There is such a disparity between Americans, I don't know how it'll ever be fixed. What Trump is doing is frightening.

Edit: Wtf, 1200 is not big enough of a sample size. Especially when you account for racial and age diversity.

The Jan. 30-31 poll found that 49 percent of American adults said they either "strongly" or "somewhat" agreed with Trump's order ...
rPkHRoe.gif

And this is why Democratic politicians are not as far to the left as people on the far left would like: because the country itself is not as far to the left as we would like. The sooner we acknowledge this instead of trying to figure out how to reconcile populism with progressivism...Somehow, the sooner we can figure out who to run where to win elections
This. The purity tests need to stop.

kmax

Anyone that supports this ban should never ever utter the words "America" and "land of the free" in the same sentence. Forget what the founding fathers said. Forget what the constitution is all about.

America is becoming a tyrant, facist state and is slowly becoming a danger to the free world. Trump's America is a dangerous one.

That's why fighting this tyranny is necessary.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Americans in general hate Muslims. You could call this an outright ban and increase the ban to all Muslim countries and I bet you those numbers would barely move.
This is ridiculous and you are wrong.

Zukkoyaki

I wonder what the split between strongly support and somewhat support is. Because the somewhat could easily include people who would have been completely fine with an EO that wasn't so rushed and poorly written that hurt green card holders, etc.

One thing I found compelling is that only 31% "feel safer" which doesn't fully jive with the 49% approval to me. Makes me think a lot of folks support the IDEA of a temporary travel ban but not necessarily the entirety of what actually took place.

Jesus fucking christ, this ban is going to do nothing other than fuck with so many people's lives and livelihoods. Any person who supports this is fucked in the head.

TTOOLL

That absolutely may be true (probably is).

However, the policy at it's heart is hateful. You're judging someone's character on their nationality - something which none of us have the fortune of controlling.

Imagine meeting someone and saying "I don't like you because I've heard bad things about your country" - could you say it?

This is in conjunction with the US having some of the strictest vetting procedures out there. In further conjunction with none of the affected countries being linked to homegrown or domestic US incidences of terror (correct me if I'm wrong - please).

Some decisions are just that hard I think. Take Canada for example, all open according to their prime minister, but they didn't accept single male refugees from Syria. Does that mean he thinks all single male Syrians are bad? Probably no, but he had to make a decision for safety reasons and decided to exclude all of them.

Don't you think it's similar?

Michael Shannon said it best that the country needs to annex these idiots into a new United States of Fucking Assholes

Very small sample size indeed but I'm sure it's indicative of most trump voters tbh

i don't agree with a broad stroke ban like he seems like he's doing with this 90 day shit but some type of stricter vetting process for people coming and going from some of these countries i'm ok with.
See, this is exactly the kind of low-information surface-level shit that causes you to have 49% approval ratings of this policy. "Stricter vetting of people from places with terrorist activity" is how it's sold. Thing is, what do you mean by 'stricter vetting'? What's not strict enough about the current process? What could we improve? Is there any evidence that our vetting process is lacking?

Dryk

I dont like it when liberal idealists whitewash US history like they did all weekend, claiming Trump's discriminatory laws and policy "isnt who we are as America"
Neither do I but I understand the sentiment. It should be less "this isn't America" and more "this isn't the America I was raised to believe in"

See, this is exactly the kind of low-information surface-level shit that causes you to have 49% approval ratings of this policy. "Stricter vetting of people from places with terrorist activity" is how it's sold. Thing is, what do you mean by 'stricter vetting'? What's not strict enough about the current process? What could we improve? Is there any evidence that our vetting process is lacking?

It's not quite demoralizing enough.

SwolBro

Banned
Ok, explain why that's a problem.

Please tell me the status quo of granting visas to citizens of those specific countries and why it is lacking. In detail.

See, this is why there's so much divide. People have made up their minds, they don't need to convince you of anything.

If they see citizens or green card holders/visas/etc of this country with muslim backgrounds doing extremist shit they're going to make up their mind that something needs to change. Yet, there's people saying "nah our system is fine" and that won't work. People won't see it that way. It's people like yourselves that need to explain why going a bit further with vetting, and visa refusals are a bad idea.

For the most part a majority of americans are accepting of different ethnical and cultural backgrounds. Calling a bunch of people bigots or assholes or whatever without trying to understand the other side is hilariously ironic in this case (not saying you guys did this, just speaking in general)

See, this is exactly the kind of low-information surface-level shit that causes you to have 49% approval ratings of this policy.
oh here we go. meanwhile this dude didn't even read what i wrote but wants to claim i'm "low-information" huh. brilliant. bravo. keep at it.

Dimmle

Voluntary poll, unequal numbers, 3% margin of error? Yeah, I don't buy it for one second. Even the receipts wouldn't matter. This is just a poll of people who wanted to spread their opinion. Means nothing.

THIS. I am shocked at how few people in the thread are picking up on how little rigor this poll was conducted with and are simply running with its narrative.

Zaph

I'm kinda done reading polls on economic and political topics unless the pollsters start by asking one simple question about the issue (i.e. "Has anyone from the affected countries ever attacked Americans on US soil?"), then split the results into two graphs of those who answered correctly, and those who didn't.

2016 was a real eye-opener to the sheer extent of how uninformed and ignorant so many people are - I can be quite cynical, but it still surprised me. Polls like this are simply irrelevant if so many people don't even know what the ban 'protects' them from.

What a world we live in! Things are slowly sliding down the slope, eh? :(

I'm reading lot's of "people regretting voting Trump"-articles in German media. But what does that help now? Oh boy.

I hope Europe stays strong.

oh here we go. meanwhile this dude didn't even read what i wrote but wants to claim i'm "low-information" huh. brilliant. bravo. keep at it.
Unless you can explain the previous vetting process for visa holders and why it wasn't stringent enough and answer the other questions I asked in that post, then yes, I'm going to call you low-information.

100% of Americans have been lied to. 49% believe the lie.

Some of his goals were even clear from the beginning. In those cases he wasn't even lying. I guess almost nobody believed he would actually do these things...Everybody laughed. What a clown....

Unless you can explain the previous vetting process for visa holders and why it wasn't stringent enough and answer the other questions I asked in that post, then yes, I'm going to call you low-information.
Haha forget about that.

"We need stricter vetting!"

"Can you elaborate?"

"Oh here we go the libturds are at it again! We need unity people!"

It's useless to talk to them.

See, this is why there's so much divide. People have made up their minds, they don't need to convince you of anything.

If they see citizens or green card holders/visas/etc of this country with muslim backgrounds doing extremist shit they're going to make up their mind that something needs to change. Yet, there's people saying "nah our system is fine" and that won't work. People won't see it that way. It's people like yourselves that need to explain why going a bit further with vetting, and visa refusals are a bad idea.

For the most part a majority of americans are accepting of different ethnical and cultural backgrounds. Calling a bunch of people bigots or assholes or whatever without trying to understand the other side is hilariously ironic in this case (not saying you guys did this, just speaking in general)

There's a divide alright, between the truth and feelings, and how clearly that's fucked us. (and thanks for that non-explanation for why our system is not "extreme" enough).

I can't wait to see more demoralizing instances of this "new and improved" vetting though.

wow, a lot of "fuck these people" and intolerance here, how ironic.

It's because those people can get fucked. They are entitled to their opinions, but they are not entitled to me respecting or tolerating their ignorance, racism and xenophobia. Fuck every last one of that 49%.

spock

Some decisions are just that hard I think. Take Canada for example, all open according to their prime minister, but they didn't accept single male refugees from Syria. Does that mean he thinks all single male Syrians are bad? Probably no, but he had to make a decision for safety reasons and decided to exclude all of them.

Don't you think it's similar?
This reminded me...

Question for those who strongly oppose the ban, would you be ok with it if it was a ban like Canada used for Syria as quoted above? No males above a certain age? (for the 90 days or whatever). Statistically males are a much larger threat by gender alone.

Tahnit

Banned
Fuck these stupid uneducated, trailer trash, redneck, hate mongering, homophobic, transphobic, islamphobic pieces of literal human garbage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom