• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

scy

Hah, the 600s would have been a nice pickup as a "just to have" set. Lovely timing on them going up right after I buy a new set. Oh well, keeps me from spending the money.

Karish

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch in this threads, so my apologies...

What are the best headphones for ~$50 (a little less or a little more).

I would actually be using the headphones mostly for gaming.

I currently have the HD 202s, are there any headphones around ~$50 that are a significant upgrade over the 202s?

dmshaposv

The 440's and 840's are pretty similar. If you are just looking for solely monitoring I think you can get by with just the 440's. Although I would recommend picking up the ear pads that come with the 840's. They are available on Amazon for around $15. They are a bit more comfortable for extended use and will fit on the 440's. If you also plan on using the headphones for music listening I would suggest stepping up to the 840's. I found their midrange to be a noticeable upgrade from the 440's.

Neither set are noise cancelling, but both pairs have such a good fit that they suppress most outside noise. There is very little leakage either from incoming our outgoing noise. I will warn you though that they are big. I know you said you saw them, but they are not suitable for casual walking around listening, unless you don't mind the occasional stare. I personally use IEM's while on the go and turn to the 840's for monitoring and at home use.

Thanks man. Will check into this.

CSX

Right now, i have Audio tech's ATHM40FS

Im thinkign of getting a 2nd pair of phones. Im looking for something that has a little more bass. Dont want anything too loud and dulling like beats.

I dont have an exact money range. Maybe around $100?

HiResDes

Right now, i have Audio tech's ATHM40FS

Im thinkign of getting a 2nd pair of phones. Im looking for something that has a little more bass. Dont want anything too loud and dulling like beats.

I dont have an exact money range. Maybe around $100?

ATH M40s require shit ton of amping to sound decent at all, go with something that's easier to drive, like these

Karish

Yes probably lol

So maybe the JVC HARX700 are better for me? Are they measurably better than the HD202s?

I just got the Turtle Beach DDS thing that gives you 5.1/7.1 on any pair of headphones, so I'm looking for something to make them shine!

derder

Upgraded from a Sennheiser 555+ nuForce HDP at work to:
YAq4U.jpg

Sennheiser 650
HiFiman EF2A + Raytheon tubes

The sound is so fucking gooooood. I keep thinking that there's shit happening behind me. The first time I watched an engadget video I thought that the guy was standing right behind my head and threw off my headphones
and pooped a little

I've also had every EE guy come and explain to me how they can relate to electron tubes (lol).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Upgraded from a Sennheiser 555+ nuForce HDP at work to:
YAq4U.jpg

Sennheiser 650
HiFiman EF2A + Raytheon tubes

The sound is so fucking gooooood. I keep thinking that there's shit happening behind me. The first time I watched an engadget video I thought that the guy was standing right behind my head and threw off my headphones
and pooped a little

I've also had every EE guy come and explain to me how they can relate to electron tubes (lol).

Awesome! :O I was looking at that EF2A because the price is so ridiculously low for a DAC/tube amp. Glad to see you saying that it sounds nice. My only hesitation is that there isn't a line out on the back.

1stStrike

Banned
Had an opportunity to do some quick auditions of the D2000, D5000 and D7000 over the past two days. Some quick impressions:

Very bassy. D7000 is a significant step up above the D2000 and the bass on it is a lot more refined and detailed. The bass comes through in layers unlike the D2000 which just pounds non-stop. D5000 sits in the middle and doesn't seem to offer enough to justify the price difference over the D2000. As for the D2000, it's great value but at that price point, I'd rather have the DT-990 where the bass is slightly more controlled and where the highs are that much more sparkly. On the whole, they're really good headphones but the bass dominates too much of the sound, IMO. I wouldn't mind owning the D7000 to diversify my collection a little down the road though.

The bass was the selling point for me on these. I love the feel of it. I own the D7000's and they've been great. If you're into DSP you can get some pristine sound with just a small amount of tweaking in Foobar.

Some people get their skirts all in a bunch at the mention of DSP or equalizers, but I love doing those small tweaks to get everything just right.

HiResDes

If you're using EQ to subtly play on the strengths of your headphone or to make the flaws less glaring then I think you're using it right, but those that try and change the dynamics of headphone entirely by utilizing a turbulent range are doing it wrong.

1stStrike

Banned
If you're using EQ to subtly play on the strengths of your headphone or to make the flaws less glaring then I think you're using it right, but those that try and change the dynamics of headphone entirely by utilizing a turbulent range are doing it wrong.

Yes, exactly. The more DSP you add in, the more apt to distortion you are. It doesn't take much - just a bit of crystalizer, some tweaking of the equalizer, and the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP plugin in Foobar and you're set. The last is pretty much essential for headphone users, IMO.

hoverX

Ok, need some recommendations for a pair of either over the ear or in ear headphones with a mic compatible with the iPhone. I was liking the Sennheiser bluetooth headphones but they are kinda pricey and don't know if they are worth it.

edit: i don't want to have to buy one of those portable amps or anything like that. Unless you can convince me it's really necessary. :)

JoeMartin

What's the best DAC at a decent price to use between a Matrix M-Stage and my laptop? Is the uDAC pretty standard fare for this job?

Shaneus

I haven't had a chance to dig it out yet, but off the top one's head, could anyone tell me what I'd get better sound for my UE700s out of... my Clip+ w/ Rockbox or my iPhone w/ Fiio E1?

Yes Boss!

Newbie question.

I'm using a portable DAC for my iPod. Is it better to set the volume on the iPod low then crank up the volume on the DAC or, instead, set the volume on the iPod to high and keep the volume on the DAC low?

FoxSpirit

Designed with high-quality materials, the L3 isolates the audio signal from interference to deliver cleaner and more accurate sound from your iPod or iPhone or iPad. The L3 employs the new HPC-22W cable with ultra-fine PCOCC-A conductors for its exceptional signal transmission property and usability. Twenty strands of 80m PCOCC-A wire are unified into a bundle and three bundles are grouped as a conductor that is geometrically stable. This construction method ensures uniformity of wire structure, eliminates internal gaps, and prevents deformation of wire strands. Each conductor in the HPC-22W is jacketed with 0.18mm PFA (Teflon), a material selected for its outstanding electrical and transmission characteristics.
Holy crap, for 10 bucks? Others would sell you such grade for $100 and claim outrageous things. They should start making regular cabling stuff for speakers o_O

cory.

Banned
I'm still a firm believer in his earlier stuff being superior. Kalvierwerke, Air and Lack Thereof, CMKY in that order.

I think he's just diverse, jumping back and forth between styles. Though I do tend to like the EP stuff better track-by-track.

Presco

Probably going to ask the wife for some Fiio products for Christmas. I'm looking for a portable plus desktop option. I know the obvious combo is the E7 and E9. Would it be worth it to go with the E9 and E10 plus the E11 as a portable option?

HiResDes

Probably going to ask the wife for some Fiio products for Christmas. I'm looking for a portable plus desktop option. I know the obvious combo is the E7 and E9. Would it be worth it to go with the E9 and E10 plus the E11 as a portable option?

Save some money and go with an E10

HiResDes

Greatly look forward to hearing your impressions, German Maestro cans always receive fantastic reviews and yet not many people have them. I think it's their understated look.

Top Bottom